Are You More of an Introvert or an Extrovert?

Have you always considered yourself a little bit on the introverted side? Well, it's your time to shine, according to Susan Cain, author of the new book, "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking."

"It's a waste of talent and energy and happiness when we design society in such a way as to favor one over another," Cain, who spent five years studying introverts and extroverts, told USA Today, suggesting that until now, the blabbermouths have ruled the school.

From junior high to reality TV, it does seem like our society favors outgoing people -- and the literature suggests that extroverts are psychologically healthier than introverts, personality psychologist David Watson of the University of Notre Dame in Indiana told the paper.

But sometimes, it pays to be quieter and more reflective. "If you want to do something that requires sustained performance and paying attention for long periods of time, introversion is beneficial," psychologist William Revelle of Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., told USA Today.

Watson says about 70 percent of people are somewhere in the middle between introverted and extroverted, and about 15 percent are at either end of the spectrum. But psychologist Judith Sills of Philadelphia says you're pretty much born the way you are. "We came out of the womb more or less one way or the other," she told USA Today.

• GLaDOS 2012/01/25 11:49:53 (edited)
    Introvert
    GLaDOS
    +8
    I certainly come off as an ambivert sometimes, but I am easily worn down by being out and about in big crowds, so I'm actually an introvert who can appear extroverted if I need to. I do best on my own. Additionally, it's bull that introverts don't like to talk. We just don't like to talk unnecessarily. I could go on for days talking about subjects that interest me.

In Myers-Briggs Type Indicator tests I usually come out INFP, or some variation of INxx. Today, I am... INTP. Interesting.

That said, society does value the extrovert far more, because they're the ones who have no problem walking right up to a stranger and chatting, or going to parties or the club all night. The idea of doing those things sound exhausting to me. Extroverts are the type that can go out and be in a club, at a bar, schmoozing with the boss, talking to non-friend co-workers about their lives, or something like that... without trouble. I can do it...for a very limited amount of time, but after a while it just begins to wear me out.

• HBO 2012/03/22 00:28:33
    Extrovert
    HBO
    I was so shy growing up that I guess I'm kind of making up for it now.
  • cherryphi 2012/03/19 22:28:19
    Introvert
    cherryphi
    Wow I'm baffled at how many misconceptions there are about introversion...especially how it's associated with everything negative. The most benign being unassertiveness right down to the criminally insane. As a hopeless optimist I call upon y'all to please educate yourselves before you judge. Intro/extraversion is all about one's energy processing. It has no bearing whatsoever on emotional capacity.

Here are some pointers:

"Introversion is a type of temperament. It is not the same as shyness or having a withdrawn personality, and it is not pathological. It is also not something you can change."

"The strongest distinguishing characteristic of introverts is their energy source: Introverts draw their energy from their internal world of ideas, emotions, and impressions. They are energy conservers (as opposed to expenders). They can be easily overstimulated by the external world, experiencing the uncomfortable feeling of "too much". This can feel like antsyness or torpor. In either case, they need to limit their social experiences so they don't get drained. However, introverts need to balance their alone time with outside time, or they can lose other perspectives and connections. Introverted people who balance their energy have perseverance and the ability to think indepen...

Here are some pointers:

"The strongest distinguishing characteristic of introverts is their energy source: Introverts draw their energy from their internal world of ideas, emotions, and impressions. They are energy conservers (as opposed to expenders). They can be easily overstimulated by the external world, experiencing the uncomfortable feeling of "too much". This can feel like antsyness or torpor. In either case, they need to limit their social experiences so they don't get drained. However, introverts need to balance their alone time with outside time, or they can lose other perspectives and connections. Introverted people who balance their energy have perseverance and the ability to think independently, focus deeply, and work creatively."

"Extroverts are energized by the external world - by activities, people, places, and things. Long periods of hanging out, internal contemplation, or being alone/with just one person understimulate them. However, extroverts need to balance their time doing with intervals of just being, or they can lose themselves in a whirlwind of anxious activities. Extroverts offer much to our society - they express themselves easily, they concentrate on results, and they enjoy crowds and action."

From a book called The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney.
  • shadow76 2012/02/18 20:17:18
    Introvert
    shadow76
    It used to be I wouldn't even talk around more than 2 people. I am a lot better than that now.
  • Bat Outta Hell 2012/02/09 18:28:42
    Introvert
    Bat Outta Hell
    +1
    I'm happiest when I'm not forced into awkward social situations. And for me, they're all awkward. LOL
    Introvert
    Long standing that I'm introverted ..
    (even as a child .. my parents got report cards from teachers stating they enjoyed the brilliant .. but very quiet little girl in the classroom .. )
    I still listen intently .. digest what I hear .. and when I do speak out loud .. believe me .. folks listen carefully ..
  • Quazimoto 2012/02/01 19:24:51
    Introvert
    Quazimoto
    +2
    Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
  • jools 2012/01/31 17:31:24
    Introvert
    jools
    keep meself to meself
  • XCloudPandaX 2012/01/30 00:23:30
    Introvert
    XCloudPandaX
    i honestly DONT like being around other people as much, because i feel DRAINED when i am..>.> so i just prefer to go someplace where theres not as many people, or where theres none at all.
  • bettyboop 2012/01/29 09:00:50
    Extrovert
    bettyboop
    I was not born an extrovert and all through school I was quiet, a loner. I did not become extroverted till I got out of the house. I guess by then I was not worried about getting the crapped knocked out of me by my mother.
  • rebecca bettyboop 2012/03/07 15:38:56
    rebecca
    +1
    so 18?
  • bettyboop rebecca 2012/03/07 21:22:54
    bettyboop
    Oh my yes, turning 45 this year. Grew up in an alcoholic home and it was nothing for my mom to slap us or hit us on the head with her knuckles hard enough for my ears to ring.
  • rebecca bettyboop 2012/03/12 00:59:51
    rebecca
    when?
  • bettyboop rebecca 2012/03/12 10:42:03
    bettyboop
    When am I turning 45? In September.
  • Giantfan 2012/01/26 16:09:34
    Introvert
    Giantfan
    +1
    It really depends on the people I'm around. If they tend to be snobish I'm more introverted as i'd rather not talk to them. On the other hand if they are easy going inclusive people than I'm more outgoing and talkative.
  • Salonje 2012/01/26 13:11:00
    Introvert
    Salonje
    +1
    I can be both...
  • VampFreak13 2012/01/26 08:25:03
    Extrovert
    VampFreak13
    Always... :)
  • disclaimer 2012/01/26 07:33:15
    Introvert
    disclaimer
    +1
    Oh, without a doubt. My Myers-Briggs score is an ISTJ, about as introverted as they get.
  • Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA 2012/01/26 01:48:31
    Extrovert
    Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA
    ...when I'm jammin' a gig, introvert at home.
  • Malachi 2012/01/26 00:00:10
    Introvert
    Malachi
    Really a bit of each,
  • Maleficent 2012/01/25 23:59:46
    Introvert
    Maleficent
    im more of a quiet but layed back person. last night i was an extrovert because i was drinking lol
  • Gina 2012/01/25 23:14:44
    Introvert
    Gina
    There's no doubt about it... but I understand the extrovert way... I don't see it as something weird just because I'm not like that... It's just not me. You know? And I think sometimes I can fake to be an extrovert... when I find it slightly necessary, which isn't often x]
  • dick 2012/01/25 22:59:51
    Extrovert
    dick
    +2
    I learned real early that if you didn't make it real plain what you wanted ya didn't get it! animated dirty old man
  • wow-really dick 2012/01/26 16:23:51 (edited)
    wow-really
    +1
    I'm sure Dr. Phil would agree LOL! You crack me up.. Thanks..: )
    lol gif s
  • jule-sy dick 2012/01/27 01:25:27
    jule-sy
    Look at that grandpa pinching the lady!
  • flyingseaturtle BN 2012/01/25 21:57:13
    Introvert
    flyingseaturtle BN
    +1
    most of the time ;-)
  • Angelic Kitty 2012/01/25 21:15:57
    Introvert
    Angelic Kitty
    +1
    Never had the want or need to be around others. I just find it annoying and get tired when I am around people for too long.
  • janet 2012/01/25 20:48:17
    Extrovert
    janet
    +1
    Really I would have to say both.
    I think it depends on the situation I happen to be in.
    Sometimes it is wonderful to be outgoing while other times it is better to sit back and just listen.
  • ruthannhausman 2012/01/25 20:43:34
    Introvert
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    Actually, I'm 50/50. Put me in my own space, my "area" where I'm comfortable and know everything there is to know, I am dynamite on extroversion. But take me out of my comfort zones and I zip the old lip and behave myself. (But be assured the brain is traveling at high speed anyway!)
  • TerryAgee 2012/01/25 20:26:49
    Extrovert
    TerryAgee
    +1
    In my years of experience, quiet people are time bombs.
  • GLaDOS TerryAgee 2012/01/25 20:44:24
    GLaDOS
    +2
    I think you're confusing introverted with repressed. However... there's probably some truth to it, because we all have our breaking points, you're just more likely to see an extrovert's explosion coming.
  • TerryAgee GLaDOS 2012/01/25 21:13:22
    TerryAgee
    +1
    Maybe, I didn't study psychology and all that mental stuff, but quiet people do seem to explode more than the chatty. Right or wrong?
  • GLaDOS TerryAgee 2012/01/26 00:58:46
    GLaDOS
    +2
    Wrong. In fact, my aunt, who is an extreme extroverted type A personality snaps more and goes off on people far more often than anyone I know. It's not that they explode more often, it more like an illusion.

To use a comic book example...
    Batman. Throws a criminal scumbag off of a roof, right before stopping him before he hits the ground, in order to intimidate him into a confession, or something. That's normal, no one bats an eye, cause it's the God Damn Batman.
    Superman. The moment he uses a bad word, everyone notices and gasps in shock. It's Superman, Mr. Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

You don't notice the loud people blowing up, because it's old. They do it all the time. The moment the little mouse in the corner decides to bitch someone out... everyone stands up and takes notice.

Ex. This video. The boss is a loud, foul-mouthed bitch. No one notices. It's normal for her.
  • TerryAgee GLaDOS 2012/01/26 01:21:53
    TerryAgee
    I see your point. However, Let me clarify my suggestion. I did not mean that I am a type A person. But, your two examples represents them. They seem to be everywhere in the workforce. Right or wrong?
  • GLaDOS TerryAgee 2012/01/26 01:59:02 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    +2
    I didn't mean to suggest that you're a type A person. Not all extroverts are type A's. I don't know that I'd call Batman a Type A, either, but he is certainly an introvert, whereas Superman is a far more extroverted man-of-the-people type. That also goes to show that the introverted can be mean, rude, and go off on people without being a time bomb. Introverted types just have rich inner lives and tend to prefer their own company, or that of one, or a handful, of known friends, to going out and "having fun."

I don't know about type A's being everywhere in the work force, they're certainly made for retail management, however.
  • TerryAgee GLaDOS 2012/01/26 13:58:16
    TerryAgee
    +3
    Thank you for your insight into the minds of quiet people. The mystery is solved.
  • drdos1943 2012/01/25 19:59:01
    Extrovert
    drdos1943
    +1
    I used to be an introvert. However now I believe that if you've got it, flaunt it. If not, shut up and listen...you might learn something.
  • GLaDOS drdos1943 2012/01/25 20:23:50
    GLaDOS
    +4
    "He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know." - Laozi
  • drdos1943 GLaDOS 2012/01/25 23:14:32
    drdos1943
    +1
    Unfortunately, in my profession, I must speak. I'd rather remain silent so no one knows how ignorant I really am.
  • Bibliop... drdos1943 2012/02/16 02:28:20
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    How do you change your personality like that?
  • drdos1943 Bibliop... 2012/02/17 01:35:58
    drdos1943
    As a teacher, I can assume any personality necessary to make a connection with students in order not only to encourage them to learn, but also to make learning exciting. Perhaps tomorrow, I will be Patrick Henry...or on another day Ghengis Kahn.

An actor does the same thing.in order to engage his/her audience through the concept of the "suspension of disbelief."

2014/10/24 17:48:21