Are You Interested in a Career That Is Similar to One of Your Parent's?

GMR 2012/05/09 17:27:19
It's about that time of year, when high school graduates prepare for the next phase in their lives: College. For many students, it's an uncertain and unpredictable stage. They're starting over in a big way, but know it will be more uplifting and exciting than the transition into high school. College is that ephemeral life-limbo where Facebook started, where "Animal House" took place, and where you (supposedly) decide what to do for the rest of your life.

Whether you're going into college, went to college "back in the day," or are hoping to go at some point in the future, take our 6-question Quick Poll when you get the chance and let us know what your experience was like, or how you expect it to play out.

• Viktoria 2012/06/10 04:54:51
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Viktoria
    Im doing my own thing but it was really nice being part of my step dads and mums temporary gluten free bakery his stuff was awsome and i never met so many people go crazy over it so i kinda want to continue on the side some day :P
  • Miss Mayhem ✗✗✗ 2012/06/05 03:42:31
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Miss Mayhem ✗✗✗
    Not at all. My parents are in the medical/legal and engineering careers, I've always been someone who wants something that won't bore me at times. I plan on doing something in the arts and entertainment field, I am a prodigy so it shouldn't be hard.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/05/14 17:04:22
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    DID MY OWN THING.... GREAT GRANDMA
  • Brony4Life 2012/05/14 16:51:16
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Brony4Life
    +1
    Nope. Setting my own path and going my own way.
  • Jeff Vader 2012/05/14 15:52:29
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Jeff Vader
    +1
    Both my parents work for the government and are in the diplomatic corps, I detest anything to do with politics. I work in graphic design.
  • crazy:) 2012/05/14 15:30:58
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    crazy:)
    No!!! i've always planned to do better thn my parents did or still do, what thy picked in life was there choices though there doin just fine now, but that doesnt mean i wanna grow up in follow in my mom or dads foot steps idk i've never been the one to follow the crowd i like to stand out and do or be different!!!:)
  • Calm down! 2012/05/14 15:23:18 (edited)
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Calm down!
    Reality check!

In this horrible economy there are no good paying jobs out there anyway! What career??? Most people with degree's are unemployed or moving back in with their parents now because there are no good paying jobs anywhere! The only one's doing well are universities. Before you go get in a ton of student loan debt, think twice and maybe take a look at some of your local trade schools. Do you ever wonder why there are so many commercials persuading you to go back to school? It’s because they are making tremendous amounts of money from your massive school loans that you will struggle to pay back a good half of you life! Watch this before you run out and get into huge student loan debt!

• Alex Catgirl 2012/05/14 15:18:11
    Yes, similar to my mom's career
    Alex Catgirl
    +1
    Both my parents are doctors, I'm going into medical research, close enough.
  • JCLadybug 2012/05/14 15:13:04
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    JCLadybug
    +1
    I'm a chemist.....yeah....my parents don't even like science and I here some funny wise tale explanations from them. ;)
  • KyoriYuki 2012/05/14 14:42:42
    Yes, similar to my mom's career
    KyoriYuki
    +1
    My step-dad is the head of the grounds crew at a Dignity Memorial Cemetery, my mom used to be a manager of the funeral home for a few years, so was my late step-dad. I don't want to go into that business. I do have to career choices I've thought of, though. I still want to maybe play in a band, if not I want to go into the FBI
  • rand 2012/05/14 14:35:28
    Yes, similar to my mom's career
    rand
    +1
    We both became educators though I was duped into administration.
  • Giantfighter 2012/05/14 08:55:45
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Giantfighter
    +1
    I'm a unique individual & never been a follower.
  • LukeC 2012/05/14 05:07:33
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    LukeC
    +1
    No, Im producing, managing and advertising night clubs and bands.

Although both my parents are artists and I use my art skill for poster design, does that count at all?
  • Melody 2012/05/14 03:46:05
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Melody
    Minister or teacher..? No thank you
  • Doc Frank stein 2012/05/14 03:26:30
    Yes, similar to my dad's career
    Doc Frank stein
    +1
    It's funny how life works, but even when you may not deliberately choose a parent's career, your blood takes you that way!!
    Although I started as a clerk - which no had chosen in my parent-grand parent line, I then went on two missions, cleaned for a bit and answered an Ad for training as a cobbler-engraver-keycutter. It was many years later that I realized my own grandfather had owned his own shoemaking factory. Apparently too, his son / my father had worked about 6 months in shoe work soon after leaving school.
    Then I got into school teaching - but mostly maths and comps, whereas my father had taught languages, etc Again, I did not go schoolteaching as a choice to follow Dad, but the field I was interested in led me that way!!lol
  • Kelssupe 2012/05/14 01:57:00
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Kelssupe
    I really wanna be a teacher
  • TheBorg Kelssupe 2012/05/17 02:58:09
    TheBorg
    NO YOU DON'T! DON'T DO IT!

I was a high school mathematics teacher with a Master's degree and 12 years experience and I was getting paid less than a friend of mine who graduated with an Associate's degree from a Technical College. If you are thinking of going into teaching and getting your Master's degree, DON'T!!! Get the Master's degree in anything other than teaching, you will be much better off.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved teaching and loved every minute between the start of class and end. It was all the other Republican, administration and parent B.S. that makes teaching a rotten career choice.

• C. C. Rider 2012/05/14 01:48:46
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    C. C. Rider
    The career I chose was succesful, but trust me. BOTH of my parents wanted a DNA test. LOL
  • Onyx11 2012/05/14 01:27:05 (edited)
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Onyx11
    Hair stylist or someone who designs cabinits and other like things. No thank you!

Psychologist or geneticist please. An author would also be good.
  • Couri 2012/05/14 01:23:16
    Yes, similar to my mom's career
    Couri
    My Mom is essentially and accountant for the local Army Depot. I'm in school to become a certified accountant. So we will basically have the same job only I will make more money because of the certification.
  • RoseyRhod 2012/05/14 01:03:44 (edited)
    Yes, similar to my mom's career
    RoseyRhod
    It's really not that I wanted to be there, but it's where I ended up. I was kind of pushed into it by my mother. She was a nurse. I'm now a nurse. I'm not too keen on being a caregiver. I'd rather have been in the arts. The reason I don't change? I'm trying to, slowly, but I have a mortgage to pay and am now trying to help my own son get through college. His dreams are more important than mine at this point.
    My son is studying to be a doctor, but he chose that path on his own. I actually tried to steer him away from going into medicine because I've rather hated it. I always thought he'd probably become a professor of history because he's quite a history buff. But he studied to become a pharmacy technician so he'd have a trade while going through school, and from there decided that he'd like to be a surgeon. I support whatever he wants to do!
  • Willski 2012/05/13 21:00:31
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Willski
    Civil Servant, or Royal Mail Postie?
    something else please.
  • Royo 2012/05/13 20:06:05
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Royo
    Let's see. A Home Depot Employee or an Animal Labratory worker... nah, i'll be a journalist. Or a musician. Anything but those jobs...
  • Megurine Luka 2012/05/13 18:46:21
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Megurine Luka
    I don't want to be a bank teller at all!
  • ADEBANJO OLAMIDE (CALEB UNI.) 2012/05/13 17:42:19
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    ADEBANJO OLAMIDE (CALEB UNI.)
    i'm doing my own thing, my parents believe in letting a child live her dream. i'm grateful they allowed me to choose my own career choice, which is mass communication. i'm having the time of my life. OLAMIDE ADEBANJO. CALEB UNIVERSITY IMOTA, LAGOS STATE.
  • ♣Tanor Zeta Faux♣ 2012/05/13 17:27:28
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    ♣Tanor Zeta Faux♣
    My mom's a bus driver, and my dad works in home improvement. =) And, neither are in my radar. Those would probably be fine, but those I'd resort to in 20 years when I'm laid off for the 10th time because they are going broke and need to lay off a sector or department, regardless of how well you actually do your job. :P

I'm currently looking into IT, Novelist, Game Design for the story creator and all, if I learn how to draw and all I could draw for them too, or try Retail business or something. I just have to get somewhere.
  • Patric 2012/05/13 16:57:56
    Yes, similar to my dad's career
    Patric
    +1
    yes, hell yes,

grandfather ,, union construction worker

father ,,, union construction worker

me.. union construction worker

our son.. union construction worker

and all for the exact same union...

hell yes,, and proud of it..
  • MissGates 2012/05/13 15:36:28 (edited)
    Yes, similar to my mom's career
    MissGates
    My mom is a psychologist and worked in the human resources (however you say that in English...), and I'm going to study psychology in university in September :) I don't know if I want to be a psychologist, but it's in the same field so it counts :)
  • Tarheel 2012/05/13 15:35:41
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Tarheel
    My father was a professional musician and my mother was a secretary for a long time and then went into insurance. My parents divorced when I was three and sadly, both passed away three years ago.
  • Wulfdane 2012/05/13 13:59:00 (edited)
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Wulfdane
    Nope. My mother my is a nurse and my father a substance abuse counselor. I'm a manager at a Corp.
  • Playerazzi 2012/05/13 07:29:03
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Playerazzi
    +1
    My father drove a catering truck, and my mother was an office manager in a school.

Uh, no way, man.

When *I* grow up, I wanna be an Astronomer.

cool astronomy
  • Georgia50 2012/05/13 01:40:01
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Georgia50
    +1
    My mom raised 8 of us and did not work outside the home. Dad was blue collar and eventually became a contractor. The sum total of the career advice I received from them downplayed the need for college. I put myself through school and have worked in the corporate environment since 87. But I never lost my appreciation for the blue collar or farming communities.
  • TheBorg 2012/05/13 01:29:41 (edited)
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    TheBorg
    Been there, done that! I've spend 14 years as a high school Mathematics teacher [father was a metal shop teacher] now I've changed careers and I am working in Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence.

shop teacher ive changed careers working data warehousing business intelligence

My children are not allowed to become teachers!
    Republicans
  • jaydenvdv 2012/05/13 01:25:59
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    jaydenvdv
    +1
    And it's not so much "doing my own thing" I was raised by my dad who has worked very very hard all of his life. A logger, running heavy equimpent, etc. From as far back as I can remember my dad told me, you are a strong person, but work with your mind not your body or you will be spent by the time your 40.
  • Allie 2012/05/13 00:44:27
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Allie
    not even close to either of them
  • Vision of Verve 2012/05/13 00:07:50
  • Rubyking 2012/05/12 18:35:10
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Rubyking
    don't want to be a teacher, they have low pay
  • Nomad58 2012/05/12 18:25:54
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    Nomad58
    +1
    My father was a Dairyman.

My career was with the Military with USAF Missile Systems then USN Surface Warfare Officer/Combat Systems (Spec Ops) followed by building a business developing weapon systems for USN/USMC team.

Lot different from milking cows.

DairyCows
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/12 16:35:18
    No, I'm doing my own thing
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    Not even close.
  • Ian 2012/05/12 15:21:04
    Yes, similar to my dad's career
    Ian
    +1
    Well, sort of similar. I teach Computer Engineering, while my father was a Mechanical Engineer. Computer Engineering, of course, did not exist when my father went to university.

2014/07/31 18:08:10