Are you closer to your friends or your family?

kickash~the mom of þhαετ~ 2010/03/10 17:43:20
I love the statement that "Friends are the Family we choose". It is so very true. I find that in our lives, we are much much closer to our friends than our family. The only family member we see on a regular basis and actually spend time with is my Brother. We just don't really mesh well with our other family members... sooo aside from Christmas and Thanksgiving, we don't really see them.

• mickie 2010/07/29 06:05:50
    mickie
    +2
    I'm closer to my friends...my family all they do is complain just about everything & very NEGATIVE!!!...My friends do a lot for me than my own family!!!
  • sillygigi 2010/04/28 23:59:18
    sillygigi
    +1
    im closer to my family like my cousins
  • knowerseeker 2010/03/12 21:39:46
    knowerseeker
    +1
    My wife happens to get along really well with both sides of her family (mother's and father's), and I have befriended them all, so we hang out a lot and really enjoy our time together. My mother's side of the family is splintered apart, and my father's side is still cohesive, but we are somewhat considered black sheep to them, so my *own* family relationship is lacking.
  • grammaw 2010/03/12 14:34:44 (edited)
    grammaw
    +1
    i love my friends but family is family , i talk to my brother every day ,we are older /old. my brother and i are close there are five all together ,family is family ,friends come and go ...family is forever even if you dont like some of them lol
  • LA-Certified 2010/03/12 06:43:37
    LA-Certified
    +1
    Well seeing that all my friends know my family, it's one big happy family.
  • oldbitch 2010/03/12 06:10:34
    oldbitch
    +2
    im way closer to my friends, i hardly ever see my family.
    i get on alright with my family for like the first 3 hours when i visit them... after that we start argueing and stuff. my friends know me way better than my family does aswell.
  • ~P!nk~ 2010/03/12 05:30:45
    ~P!nk~
    +2
    It's a tie.
  • BornToBeWild 2010/03/12 02:17:46 (edited)
    BornToBeWild
    +1
    Good question! Half an Half for me. Some are vise versa, some friends are more like family and some family is more like friends. On second thought it doesn't matter if it evens out.

It is according to the circumstance. Even if the saying goes "blood is thicker then water", even blood kid can be you turn on you at a drop of a dime. And the saying goes "You always take care of your own no matter what"...well if they keep getting away with it then that blood tie is abused.
  • gingertwin2 2010/03/11 23:40:59
    gingertwin2
    +1
    Family! Hands down!!
    . . .But we're an army family so while friends would change all the time, family would always there and crazy awesome. Home is not a place or building, it's where my family is!
    My family is just very open with each other. We are all really sarcastic and just talking, joking, and laughing all the time. It's great!
  • J03Y W@$ H3R3~In Kira I tru... 2010/03/11 22:54:59
    J03Y W@$ H3R3~In Kira I trust~►One Hit Rage Quit◄
    +1
    Mostly my friends. There are a few family members that are closer than some friends though
  • ~★Smashing★~ 2010/03/11 17:19:28
    ~★Smashing★~
    +1
    My friends! I call my Bff sis! She does the same. we say 'love ya sis' every now jn then :D
  • leftright 2010/03/11 16:18:03
    leftright
    +3
    As I got older I noticed family came more into play. I find you can usually count on family rather than friends in a crisis.
  • ~★Smash... leftright 2010/03/11 17:20:18
    ~★Smashing★~
    +1
    that's true also.
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2010/03/11 05:19:48
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    My family, but I have a few friends that are like family! =)
  • maddie 2010/03/11 04:38:23
    maddie
    +1
    I'd have to say that yeah, i'm alot closer to my friends than family. My parents just don't get me, and friends do...it's the obvious choice. :)
  • Psykhê 2010/03/11 03:50:42
    Psykhê
    +3
    Family. By far.
  • kickash... Psykhê 2010/03/11 16:26:27
    kickash~the mom of þhαετ~
    +2
    That is awesome. I wish I could say the same. :(
  • Psykhê kickash... 2010/03/11 17:14:35
    Psykhê
    +2
    No sad face. Family is family, blood or not.

Besides, if your family = your friends and ... I am a friend... Pffft. Please. I totally see why you would choose friends. lmao.
  • kickash... Psykhê 2010/03/11 17:16:44
    kickash~the mom of þhαετ~
    +2
    LMAO!!!!

Yes indeed! I luff my FRIENDS!!!!

(Sky is sick today!!!) poor kid can't catch a break!
  • Psykhê kickash... 2010/03/11 17:20:38
    Psykhê
    +1
    Oh no. What's the matter? Poor Sky. :(
  • Red high priestess in Nyx I... 2010/03/11 03:16:37
    Red high priestess in Nyx I trust
    +1
    I am more closer to my mother and father than I am to my friends!
  • ***♥Dot_Warner♥*** 2010/03/11 02:51:12
    ***♥Dot_Warner♥***
    +1
    im much closer to my friends than my family, i can tell my friends anything but family not soo much except 4 a few cousins and my closet cousin who's like my sister
  • joshluvhalo 2010/03/11 02:38:05
    joshluvhalo
    +1
    Friends, but as far as my older brother and my step bro they are definitely in my best friends group. My mom just doesn't understand as much as friends do. But then again I do everything with my friends.
  • ~the-very-lovable~ 2010/03/11 01:15:44
    ~the-very-lovable~
    +2
    i am way closer to my friends
  • αυвzzz☣ßαmf☣►One Hit Rage Quit◄
    +1
    my friends ^^ i may live with family but we dont converse much. every man for himself
  • Klutzy 2010/03/11 00:10:51
    Klutzy
    +1
    I love my parents. But I can't talk to them about personal things like boys and drama at school. So I would for sure say my best friend
  • Rochellle 2010/03/10 23:10:28
    Rochellle
    +1
    Family♥ i am really close to my family eveery sundaywe all have a family dinner together with my imediate family there is about22 of us there isnt anything better then that 1
    (:
  • Fluttershyfan 2010/03/10 21:58:25
    Fluttershyfan
    +1
    hmmm... in some cases i would say closer to friends. i am definitely closer to my friends than my brother, but i would like to think that i am closer to the rest of my fam.
  • Huki68 2010/03/10 21:03:00
    Huki68
    +2
    Yes it happens
  • dreamwriter12 ✲the libraria... 2010/03/10 20:53:29
    dreamwriter12 ✲the librarian of ρнaεt✲ in grammar I trust
    +3
    Family is a higher priority to me, so in that sense, I am closer to family. However, I have some very close friends who have always been like a second family to me, and I really wouldn't want to choose one over the other.
  • professor71 2010/03/10 20:27:36
    professor71
    +1
    Don't I know that feeling. I've always been the black sheep of the family. Not their words, mine. I've always felt like I didn't belong, but I have a group of friends just like me and I feel a very strong kinship with them. The very same is true of my relationship with my girlfriend. She is the first one I've been with that I feel very safe to be myself around. I completely trust her and that goes the same with her about me. You've definitely hit the nail on the head with this topic, Ashley.
  • Artemis ~PHAET 2010/03/10 19:42:51 (edited)
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +1
    Yes, I'm definitely closer to my friends. It's hard to be close with family when they're always picking apart everything you do and waiting for you to make a mistake so they can jump all over you for something. It's worse when they won't just accept you as you are and stop trying to make decisions for you after you're all grown up and out on your own.

I've told my girls before that they might not be blood sisters to me, but they're soul sisters, and that counts for more in my book. They've been there for me when my blood sister wasn't and didn't care to be. So as far as I'm concerned, my friends ARE my sisters and brothers.
  • kickash... Artemis... 2010/03/10 19:48:35
    kickash~the mom of þhαετ~
    +2
    PUCK. Girl, that first paragraph of yours is EXACTLY how I feel. Could not have said it better myself. :)

thanks for posting!
  • Artemis... kickash... 2010/03/10 19:49:49
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +1
    lol, I think you and I are in the same boat there, then. I was actually describing how I'm treated in my family. I love them all, but they kind of suck like that.
  • kickash... Artemis... 2010/03/10 19:51:25
    kickash~the mom of þhαετ~
    +2
    I am the same. My family are extremely religous people who let me know every single day how I should live my life... and seem to wait on the sidelines for me to screw up so they can scream "I told you so" in the name of god.
  • Artemis... kickash... 2010/03/10 19:56:53 (edited)
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +1
    Mine aren't so much overly religious as they are just plain overbearing. I'm the oldest of three kids. My brother is 21 and finishing up college, looking at grad schools. My sister is getting married in June to the guy she's pretty much been living with since her sophomore year of college. I hear no griping about either of them or the things they've chosen to do with their lives. They all seem to hate my own fiance, and he's never done a thing to them. I've been living with him for almost two years now, and I still get comments from my mom asking when I'm going to find my own place. My sister even went so far as to not invite him to the wedding, so I have to go alone, and frankly, I don't even want to be there. It's so stupid.
  • kickash... Artemis... 2010/03/10 19:59:33
    kickash~the mom of þhαετ~
    +2
    OH MY GOSH. wow, that sounds like my Husbands family. They hate me... and for no apparent reason... They told Marshall I am not right for him b/c I "speak my mind". His dad said women should know when to keep their mouths shut, and I dont... so Marshall needs someone who is more "submissive". That sucks so bad girl. I feel for ya. I can't believe she didnt invite him to the wedding! If I were you, I would either bring him anyway or bow our gracefully... if they cant accept the person you love... how do the expect to accept you?
  • Artemis... kickash... 2010/03/11 03:18:28
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +1
    They keep thinking one day that I'm going to magically "grow up", I guess. They don't accept me as I am. Which is why if I could get out of it without hurting my mother's feelings (even though it has nothing to do with her) I'd skip the wedding. My sister and I don't get along. We speak to each other maybe three times a year. Frankly, I'd like to keep it that way. We're not close. We really don't even like each other. But if I don't attend, I'll get double lectures about how I'm "abandoning" the family. It's crap. Sorry you have to deal with the same crap from the opposite end.
  • kickash... Artemis... 2010/03/11 03:20:04
    kickash~the mom of þhαετ~
    +2
    I hear ya. Keeping the peace can be a real pain in the ass. It's all good, I can handle them. LOL
  • Jehnyhal~ Hope Not Hate~the... 2010/03/10 19:08:54
    Jehnyhal~ Hope Not Hate~the Renaissance Women of PHAET
    +4
    Our family is really close. And loud with it. :P My friends are the best, but no question; it's my family I'm closest to.

2014/04/17 07:19:37