Are you bothered that people are losing a small portion of their food stamps?

Brave & Crazy 2013/11/01 15:26:06
My sister and her fiance are both on food stamps. He receives disability and she has been trying to get on disability for years - always getting denied.

So they are losing some of their food stamps due to the changes being made starting this month. Do I feel bad for her? No.. Because she has a brand new computer that some "hand out" agency gave her, she is paying for internet service, her fiance has a regular cell phone that he pays for on his own and my sister has a government issued cell phone - in addition to a land line. Every time I go over there he is smoking a cigarette and drinking beer - my sister is drinking a coke. They are watching TV that pumps through their surround sound and has a stack of electronics equipment that fills their entertainment center. My mother bought them a juicer so my sister could drink healthier beverages - instead of buying whole fruits they have been buying the already cut up and ready to eat fruit bowls at 3 times the price because they are too fricking lazy to peel it and cut it up themselves. They are always showing off the "new clothes, new shoes, new jewelry" that they got at the thrift store. What could two people who sit on their asses all day need with so many trinkets and clothes and shoes?

Meanwhile their rent is free, they get food stamps and free health care - do I care that they are losing $25 a month in their food stamps? Hell to the fuck to the no! I'm sick of working 10 hour days busting my ass so they can sit on their free sofa and count their fucking handouts.

• Navin Johnson (The Jerk) 2014/04/20 20:19:07
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +1
    no,they'll be fine. only a small cut.
  • elisabeth.grace2 2013/12/15 22:49:44
    elisabeth.grace2
    Yes a few $ of food money makes huge difference
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2013/11/24 06:40:12
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +1
    No one gets rich off public services
    For instance; people who collect social security get cost of living raises
    Does it help?
    No because people on social Security are also receiving medicare,
    when they raise SSI they offset it by raising the medicare premium...
    Most people on SSI or SSDI also qualify for food stamps.
    So when you get your "raise" they reduce your food stamps by the same amount.
    So every time they give you a dollar more they take two away...

It's all a sick game...
  • Brave &... John Ga... 2014/06/06 14:58:14
    Brave & Crazy
    It's not about getting rich, it's about not having to lift a finger and getting everything for free. If the freeloaders and lazy asses of this country were excluded from the equation I would be screaming mad and fighting for the rights of those who are legitimately in need of social services - like the elderly on limited incomes, the veterans who are being denied the necessary services they need, and the families who are doing everything they can to make a decent life for themselves and have been affected by a temporary hardship.
  • John Ga... Brave &... 2014/06/08 21:00:49
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    Who gets to decide who the "freeloaders and lazy asses of this country" are?
    How can you tell those who are legitimately in need of social services?

How do you know that they are not; the elderly on limited incomes, the veterans who are being denied the necessary services they need, and the families who are doing everything they can to make a decent life for themselves and have been affected by a temporary hardship.

Do they wear labels in your state?
  • jgh57 2013/11/01 18:43:23
    jgh57
    +1
    Yes I am. The far right seem to think people are getting rich off welfare.
  • Clay Sl... jgh57 2013/11/01 18:59:13
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    some of those on welfare are in better shape than I am,, never had a dime in welfare in my life.
  • Brave &... jgh57 2013/11/01 19:07:57
    Brave & Crazy
    +1
    I don't think they are getting rich, I believe they are getting by - but so many of them are abusing the system and are making out better than those people who go to work every day and are barely making it. Those are the people who should get welfare - the one's who are trying to make a better life - not the one's sitting around enjoying luxury items without lifting a finger except to spend their free money.
  • SA 2013/11/01 18:08:04
    SA
    +1
    I'm losing over 50% of what I once received. I feel badly for the disabled, seniors who no longer CAN work and the children.
    I am grateful for the $129.00 in food stamps for our family of three we will receive..
    I BOUGHT my own laptop without being on assistance. I went to college AND worked WITH a disability. I've never wanted pity, I just want people to understand not all people's situations are the same before being lumped in with those who are not in my situation. I have a home phone I pay for, rent that I pay $900.00 a month for a 2 bedroom APT. for,
    I've not bought me new shoes in 7 years. The only reason I had a good brand of shoes AFTER that is because one of my daughters bought them for me as a gift.
    We pay ALL our bills with SSDI(because I DID work and paid taxes,) and hubby is getting Social Security because he also worked. What we get in financial money is because we worked our asses off.
    We raised 4 children and 2 grandchildren AND helped out those in need who lived in our community.
  • Brave &... SA 2013/11/01 19:14:17
    Brave & Crazy
    +1
    And you are one of the few who are doing what you should be doing and trying to make a living instead of taking a living. You are the type of person I am happy to help - you and your hubby are doing everything in your power to make a life for yourselves and your family. You deserve the help you are getting and if there weren't hundreds of takers out there stressing the system out you would not be losing the benefits you deserve...there would be enough money to truly help those that need and appreciate the help. I hope you know that I don't lump you in with the people like my sister - I'm angry that people like my sister aren't weeded out and are allowed to work the system while they do nothing to better their own situation. (((hug)))
  • SA Brave &... 2013/11/01 20:52:29
    SA
    +1
    Thank you. We've been blessed that we have been able to serve those who truly are in need.
  • Joey 2013/11/01 17:30:50
  • Luca 2013/11/01 17:06:46
    Luca
    +2
    NO. We do not need 47% of the population living on the government dole. Unfortunately, there are some that may get hurt by Big Government "general" rules, that cannot possibly ever adapt to individuals specific needs. This same rule applies to healthcare...if you stripped away all the political LIES surrounding who the uninsured were, there genuinely was 7,000,000 people that fell between the cracks and a program should have been extended to help them. Now the whole country is going to go on the same bureacratic system that will hurt everyone for the sake of the few.
  • Adam 2013/11/01 16:04:18
  • Clay Sl... Adam 2013/11/01 16:12:23
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    Around here you can tell who is on food stamps and the government dole,, they have the best cars... Poor me I have to drive a 13 year old car...
  • SA Clay Sl... 2013/11/01 20:54:26
    SA
    +2
    Our feet are our transportation.
  • John Ga... Clay Sl... 2013/11/24 06:43:30
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +1
    Where do you live?
    I get SSDI and Snap
    I am lucky to afford a 25 year old van that I have had ten years and paid for before I was disabled.
    No one gets rich off public services
    Does it help?

It's all a sick game...
  • Clay Sl... John Ga... 2013/11/24 15:01:00 (edited)
    Clay Slayer
    I live in Florida,, I have a friend that works for the state,,, I have been in their office when these people come in with the applications,, Too Damn many of them here drive brand new or near new cars..And I would bet they all have large screen tv, and cable.. then some I see carry around those 500 dollar telephone tablets,,, and have gold jewelry on every finger.. Not all but too many...

I drive a 1996 Pickup 197,000 miles on it,, never had a day of welfare or food stamps in my life..

SSI does not pay a medicare premium,.. SSI is a form of welfare.. I know people that have not payed into the system that are on SSI..SSI recipients get Medicade

Regular Social security has to pay a part B premium , in order for a secondary insurance to be able to pick up the 20% that Medicare doesn't pay..
  • John Ga... Clay Sl... 2013/11/24 18:31:11
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +1
    The problem with judging someone by the car they drive is that 99% of auto are financed. Financing depends on income. Banks count assistance as income and car dealers will push the envelope to make a sale.

You are dead wrong, Social security is an insurance program, up until the Clinton era you couldn't collect unless you paid in or were a survivor of someone who paid in.
    Medicare premiums are deducted from SSDI and SSI checks, just like every other tax. I know this because my mother is on SSI and I am on SSDI,
    it's not welfare, I paid into this insurance plan for 35 years, I also paid into Medicare and medicaid for 35 years...

Welfare is the only program you don't have to pay in to collect...
    Welfare is also the hardest to collect, while I waited over a year for my SSDI to kick in I applied a couple of times. I went to Florida to live with my daughter. Florida said I wasn't a citizen of their state, that I was a stranded tourist. I returned to Pennsylvania, and stayed with my ex-wife, they said I didn't qualify for any assistance because she made too much money. They suggested that I return to NY. Where I hadn't lived for thirty years and move in with my mother...

The easiest way to get on Welfare is to be a teenage girl and get knocked up...
  • Clay Sl... John Ga... 2013/11/24 19:13:06
    Clay Slayer
    m point is there are those on SSI that never paid.. SSDI is different a SSI

Do you know average monthly payment for a car today, with insurance

If you paid into the Social security, medicare is part of the program.. Medicaid Is.not
    Medicare is an insurance program
    Medicaid is an assistance Program
    Medicare

Medicare is an insurance program. Medical bills are paid from trust funds which those covered have paid into. It serves people over 65 primarily, whatever their income; and serves younger disabled people and dialysis patients. Patients pay part of costs through deductibles for hospital and other costs. Small monthly premiums are required for non-hospital coverage. Medicare is a federal program. It is basically the same everywhere in the United States and is run by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, an agency of the federal government.

Medicaid

Medicaid is an assistance program. Medical bills are paid from federal, state and local tax funds. It serves low-income people of every age. Patients usually pay no part of costs for covered medical expenses. A small co-payment is sometimes required. Medicaid is a federal-state program. It varies from state to state. It is run by state and local governments within federal guidelines. To learn more about your state Medicaid program and other options available to you,
  • John Ga... Clay Sl... 2013/11/24 19:23:09
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    I know my options Medicaid charges me $325 a month for their services
  • sockpuppet 2013/11/01 15:47:57
    sockpuppet
    +2
    It bothers me that so many people need them... but I think they could make a LOT of other cuts before they started punishing American citizens like this. It's all being done to alienate voters from the GOP, who the Dem's deceptively blame.
  • Clay Sl... sockpuppet 2013/11/01 16:12:54
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    what the h ell did people do before food stamps.. I know,, they worked...
  • sockpuppet Clay Sl... 2013/11/01 18:27:40
    sockpuppet
    Yep... Dem's pretty well done all they can to kneecap American businesses and get the huddled masses into the welfare state.
  • Clay Sl... sockpuppet 2013/11/01 18:46:25
    Clay Slayer
    +2
    If I could get food stamps I could afford a New car...LMAO
  • sockpuppet Clay Sl... 2013/11/01 18:53:15
    sockpuppet
    :O) Better than sending that amount of cash to our enemies in the Middle East.
  • Brave &... sockpuppet 2013/11/01 19:09:12
    Brave & Crazy
    +3
    Even with welfare going to a lot of people who shouldn't be getting it - we still send billions to other countries - including the Middle East.
  • sockpuppet Brave &... 2013/11/01 19:15:10
    sockpuppet
    +3
    Exactly. SO many money pits they could cut off before they started looking at ways to make things tough for our own citizens.
  • John Ga... Brave &... 2013/11/24 18:35:25
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    Don't forget Corporate welfare, billions of dollars handed out to companies too big to fail, so their Millionaire Ceo's could still get their bonuses...
  • John Ga... Clay Sl... 2013/11/24 18:33:31
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +1
    Wrong shotgun Food stamps was started in 1932, during the depression, what people did before that was starve...
  • Clay Sl... John Ga... 2013/11/24 19:17:36
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    BS... The food stamp program started as a pilot program in May 1939 to 1943. It took several years and attempts to introduce the Food Stamp Bill and in 1970 a bill was passed. How many starved?? I was raised during that period,, no one I knew was on food stamps
  • John Ga... Clay Sl... 2013/11/24 19:29:07
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +1
    Okay I got the year wrong 1939 Provisional or permanent they have existed for 75 years and you have no idea what life was like prior to that unless you are 80 or 90 years old... During the depression a lot of people starved...

http://www.nal.usda.gov/ric/r...
  • Roblem BN-0 2013/11/01 15:40:05
    Roblem BN-0
    +1
    That is messed up. It's really sad how some people take advantage of the system. While others are truly struggling.

• John Ga... Roblem ... 2013/11/24 06:44:49
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    Whats really sick that people are blaming the people on the Dole instead of the government officials, that get paid way more and write the laws....
  • Roblem ... John Ga... 2013/11/24 06:52:11
    Roblem BN-0
    +1
    Yes, many love to demonize the poor.

You must mean the other people on the Dole. Because I'm sure getting all that welfare pay just makes for a great life. ;-)
  • Clay Sl... Roblem ... 2013/11/24 15:03:05
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    some around here live as good if not better than I do..
  • Roblem ... Clay Sl... 2013/11/24 17:28:26
    Roblem BN-0
    They must be really working the system well. The people that I know of around town certainly are not living it up by any means. That's the norm. I do know of one guy who has had heart problems and was able to get disability, about 1K per month. He is older (60 something) but he is capable of working. I'm not supportive of that.
  • Clay Sl... Roblem ... 2013/11/24 17:31:30
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    I know people that actually need the help..then there are those that make a career out of welfare..Those are the ones that need weeded out of the system..
  • Roblem ... Clay Sl... 2013/11/24 18:45:19
    Roblem BN-0
    I agree, especially those at the higher income brackets. ;-)
  • Mel 2013/11/01 15:28:27
    Mel
    Wow someone gave her a new PC? Who in the world did that?

2014/10/31 12:55:53