Are You Afraid of Dying?

The Big Question 2010/08/10 14:23:10

• tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ 2010/08/10 14:25:21
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    +4
    Not that I want to right now, but I'm not afraid. A wise man once said, "After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

• Tami 2010/08/10 18:34:23
    Tami
    Im not afraid to die, but im kinda scared of the after life.
    You have to stay there forever and uo icant go back
  • seathan... Tami 2010/08/10 20:52:32
    seathanaich
    Yours is definitely an unusual response! The concept of the afterlife was imagined by humans as a coping mechanism for death. There's no need to be afraid of something which doesn't exist. Even the word 'afterlife' is a contradiction. There are many things in life to worry about - but the fictional afterlives of all the various religions are definitely not anything to be afraid of. As the atheist bus ads say - stop worrying and enjoy life. Cheers.
  • Tami seathan... 2010/08/10 21:20:13
    Tami
    is that a good thing to have a different response?
    And that is an oppinion. I believe in the after life. Like heaven and hell.
    Heaven is described as a place with no pain, no fear and its just a perfect place. I know that most people say that there is no such place as a pewrfect place, but I still am afraid of being around that much perfect and not having anything bad. Dont get me wrong, I would love that, but a world with sin is a world that you can make better.
    So I dont really know what to think.
    Got any advise?
  • seathan... Tami 2010/08/10 22:28:09
    seathanaich
    I think it's a great thing to have a different response. It certainly caught my attention, and made me think.

I think it would be presumptive of me to give you advice. All I can do is tell you what I think, and why I think it. But that doesn't mean you should agree with me. To figure out what you think you need to hear lots of different opinions, not just mine.

I think that when people talk about heavens and hells they are talking about things they have no evidence for. If there was some evidence for either of these places, then more people would agree on what they were like.

Imagining is fun, but I like your comment about being able to make the world better (though I don't agree that "sin" exists as monotheisms describe it). Doing good in the only world we do have evidence of - this one - is definitely a worthwhile project. Cheers.
  • Tami seathan... 2010/08/10 22:31:05
    Tami
    thanks.
    I really want to find more oppnions,. But I really dont know why to ask and really what to ask
  • seathan... Tami 2010/08/11 18:27:46
    seathanaich
    I think you have made a good start. Asking questions is a great start.

Make sure you have a healthy dose of criticism and skepticism for any answers you receive. Demand that people back their opinions up with evidence. If they can't, that tells you something right there.

Then you have to learn how to discriminate between reliable evidence, and unreliable evidence. Knowledge is not an easy path! That's why pursuing it is "hard work", and hard work scares away so many people. I'd say it's worth it, though. Cheers.
  • Tami seathan... 2010/08/11 23:18:20
    Tami
    ok. and thanks
  • BoBo Eldorado 2010/08/10 18:28:54
    BoBo Eldorado
    Not afraid of dying, maybe alittle scared I'm not up to the Lords standards. I guess most would say, "well then, change them".. easy to say, hard to do, but then HIS standards my be alot lower than most preachers tell you they are..
  • KSJR362 - Not what you think 2010/08/10 18:24:59
    KSJR362 - Not what you think
    Naaaahhhh ... can't spend your life worrying about the inevitable.
  • Benji 2010/08/10 18:23:40
    Benji
    Yes I am
  • Astro-Boy PHAET 2010/08/10 18:20:41
    Astro-Boy PHAET
    Nope.
  • Knot_RIch 2010/08/10 17:49:53
    Knot_RIch
    Nope, no one gets outta here alive. It's not like dying is anything new, everyone does it, happens every day. I tried it once, back in my younger years in the very early 70's, hitting a car at 120 mph with a motorcycle has a tendency to take a toll, and if any of you out there are tempted to try it, don't, you'll lose. Thank goodenss for electricity and plenty of blood donors I'm still here today, but the getting better part was far harder than the dying part. Came close from a mortar in Vietnam, took a few pieces. But, in spite of all my abuses to myself, more stupid stunts than I can keep track of, motorcycle wrecks, car wrecks, drugs, alcohol, fast food, slow women, here I still am today, older than I ever thought I'd see. Surely not because of anything I've done, but simply because someone far greater than me has determined it's just not my time yet. He's not letting on when that might be, but when the time comes there's nothing I can do about it, and rather than fear it I'll welcome it, because I'll know my job here is done, the ultimate retirement.
  • MisterD 2010/08/10 17:32:06 (edited)
    MisterD
    +1
    I've faced death quite a few times in the last 10 years and I do not fear it.
  • GeoffBoulton 2010/08/10 17:13:30
    GeoffBoulton
    +2
    I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit. - Mark Twain

That says it all for me.
  • Jai Morenyee 2010/08/10 16:53:26
    Jai Morenyee
    I am scared that I might suffer before I die, but I am not afraid of death itself.
  • Always.Bored :P 2010/08/10 16:36:29
    Always.Bored :P
    Not of dying but of the way of dying. Living is worse anyway .
  • No
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    Not at all!
  • Squeaken458 2010/08/10 16:21:49
    Squeaken458
    I don't mind being dead it's getting there is going to be the problem. I thought I was dead once. i was really sick with pnuemonia and I slipped into unconciousness and felt my soul seperate from my body. I watched my body from above. I thought,"That was it,","I died!!" It was the most peaceful experience you could ever imagine. Then I woke up.
  • seathan... Squeake... 2010/08/10 20:54:25
    seathanaich
    Near Death Experiences are the result of the brain and body dealing with extreme trauma. They have been medically explained - there is nothing magical about them. You can read about the research that has been done upon them quite easily. Cheers.
  • Kaimeso 2010/08/10 16:18:02
    Kaimeso
    Not afraid of dying, just rather concerned on how I die. So maybe the question would which method of dying scares a person the most.
    For me,
    afraid dying concerned die method dying scares person
  • Sister Jean 2010/08/10 16:17:06 (edited)
    we all fear the unknown if we're normal,I was minutes away from plug being pulled...not fun!!!
  • Alan_Scott 2010/08/10 16:15:05
    Alan_Scott
    Just one benefit of genuine belief in Jesus.
  • Sister ... Alan_Scott 2010/08/10 16:18:34
    +2
    I am and I sure believe in Him
  • Alan_Scott Sister ... 2010/08/10 16:24:39
    Alan_Scott
    Nothing to fear. As Professor Tolkien's good friend C.S. Lewis said in paraphrase of St. Jame's calling this life a vapor, this life is the Shadowlands and what awaits is the true reality.
  • seathan... Alan_Scott 2010/08/10 20:58:37 (edited)
    seathanaich
    The creation of opposites is one of the common themes which runs through all mythologies. If men are mortal, the gods are immortal. If my life is filled with pain, an alternative life (the afterlife) will be free of pain. This life is an illusion, the real life awaits me elsewhere. Etc.

The creation of idealised opposites owes a lot to the work of Plato, and his "Forms". It's natural for human imagination to work in this way, but the longing for there to be perfect opposites for the imperfect things we see ourselves to be is a form of wish-fantasy for which we actually have no evidence or experience, save only that which comes to us via imagination.

Tolkien is the author of the greatest work of fiction in the English language. What a brilliant man. Cheers.
  • Tucker 2010/08/10 16:06:02
    Tucker
    +1
    More afraid of living.
  • The polite zombie 2010/08/10 15:10:44
    The polite zombie
    +2
    Yes, but not as much as spending 1/3 of every day sitting behind a desk for the rest of my life.
    spending 13 desk rest life
  • Diana 2010/08/10 14:39:25
    Diana
    Are you afraid of going to sleep?I'm not.
  • wolf sloan 2010/08/10 14:38:26
    wolf sloan
    It's the" how" that I wonder about
  • tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ 2010/08/10 14:25:21
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    +4
  • qt8625 tammerz... 2010/08/10 15:18:27
    qt8625
    Well said. I agree.

2014/09/01 19:17:10