Are you a Grammar Nazi?

cate 2012/05/05 14:11:54
Related Topics: English, Nazi, Life, Language
For us, this is not pejorative (though the attempt was tried). A command of the English language will do much for you in life. So are you a Grammar Nazi?

• Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/05 14:17:35
    Yes. I am a Grammar Nazi. Being literate counts.
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +7
    I won't correct people, but poor grammar is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

• bricklyn 2012/05/05 16:40:12
    bricklyn
    +2
    I hate the use of texting slang here. It is simply annoying.
  • The Inc... bricklyn 2012/05/05 19:10:59
    The Incurable Pessimist
    o hi gurl hw u doin meh 2 i jusss luv whut u say bc i agree 2
    (Boy, that was hard).
  • harley oldman 2012/05/05 16:31:59
    No. I am a Grammer Natzi. LOL. Told you off!
    harley oldman
    +1
    NO....I`m a Grammar Nazi target....!
    Once someone told me I was Ignorant. And is pissed me off until they said all that means is you can`t read or write. I said ohhh....OK.....them I wasn`t mad anymore.
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/05/05 16:31:24
  • The Inc... POWERSH... 2012/05/05 19:11:35 (edited)
    The Incurable Pessimist
    +1

I dislike pseudo-Grammar Nazis though. Get it right.
  • strange_armour 2012/05/05 16:23:59
    strange_armour
    +4
    However I never fail to laugh when Americans attempt to correct MY spelling.
    American spellchecking is an oxymoron.

flag
  • bricklyn strange... 2012/05/05 16:39:28
    bricklyn
    +1
    Yup, I have had American try and correct my spelling as well. Canadians have a huge French influence in their spelling, Americans cannot understand that.
  • The Inc... strange... 2012/05/05 19:13:33 (edited)
    The Incurable Pessimist

It`s a mystery indeed.
    As my meme is gramatically incorrect, I accept thy blame.
  • Bowman 2012/05/05 16:13:47 (edited)
    Bowman
    +1

People are always spelling are words wrong and there doing it on purpose. Your gonna haveta stop people when there are words in the sentences that are being used wrong in.
  • Shawna Bowman 2012/05/05 17:12:36
    Shawna
    +2
    Oh that hurts to read. LOL
  • Claire ... Bowman 2012/05/05 19:18:47
    Claire Dobie
    OUCH!
  • L1 2012/05/05 15:58:11
    L1
    +1
    Only when it's work related or legal paper related. It has to look good for the boss and the legal documentation for charting.
  • mustangluver 2012/05/05 15:49:13
    mustangluver
    +2
    As long as i can make out what the person is saying..but sometimes it is not legible so i just don't respond to it. If a persons grammar is that bad then that's a good sign they are not educated enough to bother with..
  • Linnster mustang... 2012/05/05 15:59:36
    Linnster
    +6
    Since this is an international site, there are posters who live in other countries and I try to make accommodation for that before I write them off as being uneducated.
  • harley ... Linnster 2012/05/05 16:25:45
    harley oldman
    +1
    You are wise beyoun your years.......grasshopper......!
  • Linnster harley ... 2012/05/05 16:30:01
    Linnster
    Thank you, kind sir. :)
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 17:13:17
    Shawna
    +1
    I find it is usually fairly easy to tell the difference.
  • Linnster Shawna 2012/05/05 17:19:20
    Linnster
    +1
    Most of the time, yes.
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 17:22:48
    Shawna
    +1
    Some, have learned the language better than most native speakers. I find that with the Korean students we get in the area where I live. They have studied english very seriously and then come to attend school here as an immersion experience. They know how to use the English language better than any students I have ever had and sadly, better than many of my colleagues. When teachers no longer know how to use it properly it is lost.
  • Linnster Shawna 2012/05/05 17:29:50
    Linnster
    +2
    I think that goes for any student of a foreign language. You have to pay more attention to the grammar and proper usage of verbs and tenses. When it's your native tongue, some people find it unnecessary to do that. I couldn't tell you how to parse a sentence or the rules for sentence construction. Some have a natural tendency towards correct usage and others not as much. I think a lot of reading helps both spelling and grammar. When my nieces and nephews were small, I would see some of the teacher notes the kids brought home and I was appalled at the spelling and grammatical errors. One of my sisters was so upset that she went to see the principal about it.
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 17:42:28
    Shawna
    +1
    Well considering that we are now onto a new generation of teachers, nothing has changed. I really do think the education system is so jam packed with things that are now considered essential and the day and the year have not gotten any longer, that grammar has been dropped, along with handwriting, as we prioritize for the technological age.
  • Linnster Shawna 2012/05/05 17:47:51
    Linnster
    +1
    I would agree with preparing for the techno age, but from grades 1-6, lets's say, the curriculum should still focus on reading, writing and math. The basics should never go out of style. Simply because we have calculators doesn't mean we should stop teaching math. I'll grant you that there are many more things to learn today than when I was in school, but the method by which kids were taught back then is the way they should be taught now. As the product of a public school education, I think I did pretty well.
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 18:05:44
    Shawna
    +1
    There was a bit of a backlash regarding the type of education you had in your day. It was deemed too stifling of creativity. Now, we can't seem to decide which way to go and there is an overhaul of the curriculum every ten years. I've seen it go full circle. As much as I value creativity, I think basic skills are important too. I doubt that your generation is lacking in any creativity or the ability to think for themselves and yet this is what is feared; this is why the push for creativity and thinking skills in the education system is doing away with the basic skills.
  • Linnster Shawna 2012/05/05 19:03:26
    Linnster
    +2
    I think what stifles creativity and critical thinking is kids who do nothing but sit in front of their computers like Zobies all day. There were, and are, plenty of creative people produced by my generation and I'm pretty sure that my generation has a better ability to think for itself than the current one. Just take a look at some of the questions/comments from some of today's youth just on SH alone.
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 19:14:49
    Shawna
    +1
    LOL-I think the emphasis on creativity has decreased the degree of shame people might have otherwise felt about their ignorance. The hatred of the academics and glorification of people who quit school and become millionaires with their business plan is a good example of that. It's all part of the American dream. Anyone can get rich, you don't have to be educated.
  • Linnster Shawna 2012/05/05 19:18:53
    Linnster
    +1
    I agree. Yes, there are a lot of people who get rich without having had a decent education but those are few and far between. It saddens me to think how many young people today feel that education is a waste of time. True - if your goal is to flip burgers or sweep floors, but if you want a job that pays decent money, you better learn how to read and write. Going back to your earlier post about your Korean students, Asians, as a general rule, place a great deal of importance on education.
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 19:27:33
    Shawna
    +1
    Yes they do and they spend many more hours at it than North Americans. Theirs isn't a perfect system either but I think we could both learn from each other.
  • Linnster Shawna 2012/05/05 19:34:10
    Linnster
    +1
    Yes, the Asian school systems are more intensive than ours and I suspect the kids are more respectful of their parents and teachers which also plays a part.
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 19:38:06
    Shawna
    +1
    They are. I have found the Koreans in particular really do love teachers. All of my Korean students have been a delight to teach. I do remember having a conversation with a dad who was struggling to understand why his son was not getting an A in social studies in grade four. They had come from Hong Kong and there, it was a matter of memorizing facts. The dad wanted me to send home the list of facts for his son to memorize so he could get an A. I had to explain that what we were working on at the time was actually reading through the text for information and drawing conclusions that they could support with evidence from the text. That had the dad completely baffled.
  • Linnster Shawna 2012/05/05 19:44:46
    Linnster
    +1
    I guess if we combined the best of their way of teaching and the best of ours, we'd have some pretty awesome kids.
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 19:49:41
    Shawna
    +1
    Somehow that never seems to happen. It would take quite a cultural shift since generally speaking western culture admires individuality and eastern admires conformity and contribution to the whole.
  • Linnster Shawna 2012/05/05 19:52:26
    Linnster
    +1
    You're right about that. Another point is the diversity in the West as opposed to Asia being primarily homogenous countries.
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 19:59:31
    Shawna
    +1
    Yes, that is quite significant too. Again, I think the best is some sort of balance between the two.
  • Linnster Shawna 2012/05/05 20:01:48
    Linnster
    +1
    I agree. Now, if the powers that be could become as compromising as needed, the school system here could produce more of the finest minds in the world.
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 20:04:31
    Shawna
    +1
    Well it seems there is never agreement on what is the best way. Our government in BC makes some sort of radical curriculum change every ten years.
  • Linnster Shawna 2012/05/05 21:35:38
    Linnster
    +1
    I don't have kids and my nieces and nephews are either out of college or just starting, so I'm not really up on curriculum. I just know that what I see in the way of writing and thought processes on here on in other places, and it's very apparent that something is wrong somewhere.
  • Shawna Linnster 2012/05/05 21:37:11
    Shawna
    I see two extremes. There are teens and young people here who are very articulate and intelligent and there are certainly many who are not.
  • Claire ... Linnster 2012/05/05 19:43:03
    Claire Dobie
    +1
    You nailed it! And it's getting worse.
    proof that.wordpress.com
    Take a look.
  • Linnster Claire ... 2012/05/05 19:50:05 (edited)
    Linnster
    +1
    When there is a breakdown in respect at home, it will follow in all other aspects of life, including school. To be fair, there are some teachers who are better than others. If you make a subject interesting, kids will be eager to learn. In NY, there's this big chasm between the teachers' union and everyone else about being able to get rid of bad teachers. If they're tenured, you'll never get rid of them and that doesn't help anyone. The same applies to principals - if they aren't good administrators, they have to go.
  • Ron in ... Linnster 2012/05/05 21:38:14
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    I caught you.
    It's "breakdown"

2014/07/25 18:16:57