Are Women More Attracted to Jerks?

Ladies, do you find yourself attracted to the same jerky guys again and again and again? It might not be your fault -- well, at least at certain times of the month. A new study found that when a woman is ovulating, she chooses "ravishing dudes over responsible ones -- even when evaluating them as long-term partners," How About We reports.

"Previous research has shown in the week near ovulation women become attracted to sexy, rebellious and handsome men like George Clooney or James Bond," study researcher Kristina Durante of the University of Texas at San Antonio says in a statement.

But what's new about this study is it explains why women want to pursue long-term relationships with these kinds of men around that time of month. Turns out, when a woman is ovulating, her hormones cause her to think your typical jerk is going to be a wonderful, caring, helpful father, LiveScience reports.

"Under the hormonal influence of ovulation, women delude themselves into thinking that the sexy bad boys will become devoted partners and better dads," Durante says. Why? "Missing a mating opportunity with a sexy cad might be too costly for some women to pass up," she explains. Do you think women are more attracted to jerks in general?

Read More: http://www.howaboutwe.com/date-report/this-is-why-...

• Jack's Pearl 2012/05/18 22:27:48
    Jack's Pearl
    +15
    I'm not. I don't care how good looking someone is, that's only skin deep and fades immediately with a bad attitude or rudeness.

• MLor Michael 2012/05/25 20:52:10
    MLor
    Couldn't have said it better!
  • Donald Eric Kesler 2012/05/22 17:38:51
    Donald Eric Kesler
    I am a nice guy. I have enjoyed lots of love.

Not all nice guys are really nice guys. Consider the following excerpt from Kate Harding's article on the 2009 Collier Township shooting.

Guys, you are not being rejected because you are too nice. Niceness is a positive characteristic. I doubt any straight woman—even the kind with a stated preference for "bad boys"—has ever said to herself, "Hmm, I'd be really into this guy if he weren't so compassionate, thoughtful, and respectful. If he'd just dick me around and insult me a little more, I'd want to rip his clothes off." If you get rejected by every woman you approach, the problem could be a million different things, but I guarantee it's not that you're just too kind for your own good. We tell you you're "nice" because we don't want to be rude, we don't want to risk your aggression, and most of all, we want you to leave us alone.

George Sodini knew he wasn't really a nice guy. He knew there was something "blatantly wrong" with him. He wished someone would tell him what it was. But who's going to say, "You seem to have a really deep hatred of women, and some serious rage issues, and a ludicrously overblown sense of entitlement, and I'm guessing you'd need about a hundred years of therapy before you'll be ready for a healthy rel...

George Sodini knew he wasn't really a nice guy. He knew there was something "blatantly wrong" with him. He wished someone would tell him what it was. But who's going to say, "You seem to have a really deep hatred of women, and some serious rage issues, and a ludicrously overblown sense of entitlement, and I'm guessing you'd need about a hundred years of therapy before you'll be ready for a healthy relationship"? Certainly not any woman he approached at a bar, who only wanted him to go away as quickly as possible and without incident. Nor friends who, by all accounts, kept pulling away until he had none anymore. Probably not his family, whom he professed to despise. So that left R. Don Steele, whose best advice was, "Nice Guy Must Die."

http://www.salon.com/2009/08/...
  • Michael Donald ... 2012/05/24 04:03:08
    Michael
    This is a opinion site, not a history lesson site. But true, eve though I have no idea where you got all that info from.
  • Donald ... Michael 2012/05/24 06:25:36
    Donald Eric Kesler
    Were you attempting to respond to another post?

I shared my opinion. To restate it, I hold that women are attracted to nice guys. Furthermore, many guys who claim to be nice guys who can't catch a break are not really nice guys.

I also shared some of Kate Harding's thoughts on the subject of so-called nice guys. I provided a link to her original article in case anyone was curious about where I got all that information.
  • theprothinker 2012/05/22 15:12:24
    theprothinker
    I hope that the majority of choices people make for their mate are good ones, but every so often I see a perfectly wonderful woman chasing after baboons! However, the opposite is also true. I've known some wonderful, talented, beautiful women that are not pursued (proving once again the stupidity of the average American male). At least now the women have an excuse!! OVULATION! No corresponding thing for guys to blame it on.
  • Michael theprot... 2012/05/24 04:04:02
    Michael
    +1
    Its no excuse for a woman to date a jerk, and keeps running back to him. Its her own stupid self. as well
  • rknothead 2012/05/22 11:35:49
    rknothead
    +2
    I've seen it happen again and again...so there's something to all this...and men aren't the only ones who leave the thinking to their other head/bottom when it comes to love and sex.
  • Moh Al-a 2012/05/22 06:32:05
    Moh Al-a
    Their should be a choice for undecide because I have no idea women should answer this Q.
  • Anthony... Moh Al-a 2012/05/23 11:54:28
    Anthony Gosselin
    +1
    Yeah, true to that, bro. I'm not sure what I should say.
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/05/22 05:26:42
    nothingbutthetruth
    +1
    Oh, I should have said YES because my exes were jerks! Sorry for checking wrong box!
  • Michael nothing... 2012/05/24 04:04:56
    Michael
    Well I hope you didn't keep running back to them.
  • nothing... Michael 2012/05/26 06:35:26
    nothingbutthetruth
    Running back to them? I will never be like "Lot wife," looking back until she turned into a pillow of salt. I will never turn into a pillow of salt, because I am not looking back or going back! Got that!
  • MissNovemberTuesday 2012/05/22 05:01:34
    MissNovemberTuesday
    +2
    Luckily no. I found a very sweet guy and married him right away. We just had our 23rd anniversary. Oh, and he is attractive, too, so I win there, too.
  • Michael MissNov... 2012/05/24 04:05:13
    Michael
    +1
    Congrats!
  • nothing... MissNov... 2012/05/26 06:37:04
    nothingbutthetruth
    +1
    Well, lucky you! I wish you both continuous love, peace and happiness throughout your life time.
  • MissNov... nothing... 2012/05/29 00:33:32
    MissNovemberTuesday
    +1
    Thanx. I actually just took the plunge and got my first tattoo. I got his name on my arm with a couple of hearts. He already had a tattoo with our names on it from a while back. it was a Valentine's Day present to me many years ago.
  • nothing... MissNov... 2012/05/29 00:51:47
    nothingbutthetruth
    You're welcome and glad to know you have a good relationship.
  • liz 2012/05/22 04:17:34
    liz
    Saddly
  • nothing... liz 2012/05/29 00:52:24
    nothingbutthetruth
    Not me!(:
  • El Prez 2012/05/22 02:55:41
    El Prez
    +1
    It may seem like it at times but most come around to a sensible position. the ones who don't or can't are really not worth putting up with anyway.
  • locoheaven 2012/05/22 02:22:20
    locoheaven
    Sadly jerks are good looking and the good guys are someone close I never suspect:/
  • Michael locoheaven 2012/05/24 04:05:46
    Michael
    What are you talking about?
  • nothing... locoheaven 2012/05/29 00:53:12
    nothingbutthetruth
    Not in these modern days, that don't play anymore(:
  • Lordy :D 2012/05/22 02:15:42
    Lordy :D
    It usually seems like yes.

I personally go with whoever's most interesting to be around at the moment, whether they're jerks or not.
  • Michael Lordy :D 2012/05/24 04:06:28
    Michael
    Thats your choice, besides you should just go for the nice attractive guys. There are a few you just gotta find them.
  • Lordy :D Michael 2012/05/25 00:28:05
    Lordy :D
    I'm sure there are.... o.O
  • hilllary 2012/05/21 23:40:05
    hilllary
    Just look at all of the women who voted for Obama, The biggest jwrk that has ever been born.
  • TheOxym... hilllary 2012/05/22 00:03:38
    TheOxymoron
    +1
    Dear Sodahead,
    If it wont trouble you too much,could you please add in a 'dislike' button?
    Sincerely,Everyone
  • Howard hilllary 2012/05/22 02:11:15
    Howard
    +1
    what does this have to do with the topic airhead...f@#$%%g Republicans
    are just jealous that they don't have any cantidates with a personality or a brain.
  • hilllary Howard 2012/05/23 00:08:10
    hilllary
    you are the dumb down nose up obama's a-- not seeing for the blank on your nose and in your eyes, and so proud of you teacher from North Carolina, who use her being a teacher to try to brain wash other kids like you. Telling them it was against the law to say anything against youalls little brainless pile of crap? You are a believer you como.
  • Sally hilllary 2012/05/23 00:29:35
    Sally
    Your comment is basically indecipherable so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I suspect though that learning to stick to words that actually exist (youalls?) and construct sentences properly would help you to get this point across, whatever it might be... though something tells me no one wants to hear it.
  • Howard hilllary 2012/05/28 04:27:27
    Howard
    you must be on acid because you make no sense at all. You are a typical "Republikan", you try to repeat all the talking points but judging from above you are mixed up. Obama wins... you lose!
  • hilllary Howard 2012/06/05 21:20:41
    hilllary
    No you are lazy and don't want to work. No person who has any morals would be would support the como Obamo. That make you a Obamonite, liveing in a Obamonation and drinking coolaid.
  • Howard hilllary 2012/07/01 12:39:32
    Howard
    whooa, you have a serious screw loose Hill baby! Why do you support people who care nothing about you and want you to be one of their hate filled soldiers. Seriously, you are so far out of what's considered sane that you should get some professional help like everyone has been telling you. Obama is not perfect but at least he has empathy and tries to help the average American. Goodbye
  • Howard hilllary 2012/07/01 12:34:29
    Howard
    boy you need to work on your English and your writing, so sorry for you
  • Chris 2012/05/21 23:22:08
    Chris
    +1
    Some of them are. Especially the immature girls. They're the reason the jerk gene has infected the gene pool for so many years.
  • tquesada 2012/05/21 22:26:24
    tquesada
    +1
    I don't think this is true for women or men. I would have to say that most of the time it is hard to tell. In a world where everyone is pretending to be someone or something they are not; it's hard to be sure what you might get. Sometimes it's simply incompatibility. Although, this is a world where people choose their future mates based on material things (i.e. money, cars) rather than personality (i.e. honor, trust, humor).
  • macy 2012/05/21 22:16:21
    macy
    +2
    I hate jerks. if a guy isn't nice, nothing else matters.
  • Magicman 2012/05/21 22:10:39
    Magicman
    +2
    Maybe if you suffer from low self-esteem. Most of the time, woman like good guys.
  • Michael Magicman 2012/05/24 04:07:54
    Michael
    How is that possible? There is more yes's on here then no's!

2014/10/23 06:07:58