ARE WOMEN LEAVING RELIGION?

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/03/10 22:35:17
santorum Rape
Both religion and conservative politicians are on the verge of losing the support of many of their constituents: women.
That's the conclusion Washington Post religion columnist Lisa Miller comes to after reading The Resignation of Eve by Jim Henderson and comparing it to the current election season.
christianity  sandwhich
"Unless the strident, authoritarian social conservatives loosen their stranglehold on American women, American women will abandon the Republican Party (as they're quitting church) and look for their candidates elsewhere," she writes in her most recent column.
Man and Horse that Built Civilization
Atheists Best Informed About Religion
Man and Horse that Built Civilization
Data back up the arguments: Henderson cites the Barna Research Group in his book in reporting that the number of women who attend church on a weekly basis dropped 20 percent between 1991 and 2011.
And those numbers, Henderson says, don't represent the number of women on the verge of leaving.
"Until those with power (men) decide to give it away to those who lack it (women), I believe we will continue to misrepresent Jesus’ heart and mar the beauty of his Kingdom," writes Henderson, who is an evangelical minister.
Mabon
Space Religion: Mormonism and the Final Frontier
bible rape women
In the book, Henderson tells the stories of several women who left their churches (though not necessarily religion altogether).
Kathleen Felmey, for example, attended church with her family for more than 22 years, "but quit after years of working through a painful, controlling church culture," she writes on the book's website.
Likewise, Miller cites an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll to point out that Obama leads Mitt Romney by 18 points, Rick Santorum by 24 points and Newt Gingrich by 27 points.
god rape virgin
Miller suggests that women are no longer willing to put up with second-class status or insults from politicians, in part because so many are the heads of their households. And their children won't go to church without them.
God Rape marriage

Read More: http://news.discovery.com/human/women-leaving-reli...

• Queen Katherine 2012/03/10 23:54:10
    yes! They are all leaving a "mainstream" religion that condemns womon for the...
    Queen Katherine
    +4
    I left years ago and have never looked back.

• prosper... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/16 03:40:17
    prosperhappily
    I think the problem with the Bible that bothers me most is that Jesus says he's coming back very soon. In fact, some of his contemporaries would not die before his return. That didn't happen. I've never heard a satisfactory explanation for that.
  • prosper... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/16 03:43:03
    prosperhappily
    And, if Jesus is God, why would he bow down to his own creation?
  • Butch 2012/03/11 00:05:18
    Women are no longer willing to put up with second-class status and insults fr...
    Butch
    +1
    As an ELCA Lutheran in my personal opinion the largest association and the most "Christ Like followers of his teachings of equality and leadership is inclusive of Women, Gays, and Everyone. That includes the young, middle-aged and gray haired Republicans and Democrats is not losing any of them.
  • HAlex1972 Butch 2012/03/11 07:22:21
    HAlex1972
    I agree. During my studies of the New Testament, I put much focus on "the words in red" (direct quotes from Jesus), and I've found him to very egalitarian. I haven't been able to understand why so many religions, and their followers, blatantly ignore what Jesus said, and instead, focus on Paul's interpretation of Jesus's teachings. The Catholic church is the organization that decided which books would be included in the Bible and which ones wouldn't. Shall I trust them, or shall I trust the four gospels which are the direct eyewitness testimonies of the apostles that walked with Jesus while he was here in the flesh.

I don't know, but it just seems when I read those 4 books, I don't find all of this condemnation of women, nor of other groups of non-"traditional" people. Jesus teaches to love and forgive; and he teaches this over and over again.
  • Butch HAlex1972 2012/03/12 14:50:45
    Butch
    +1
    Interesting that Paul's text are self serving for the Roman Catholic use. But don't let the use of so-called “Evangelical” Christians and their own loose interpretations. They are most accomplished at hardly ever teaching more of Jesus than the other text. While we all pick and choose what will support our predetermined standards. The common thread is simple and sometimes rigid interpolations of often questionable translated text, that may has no one term translation or any that have multiple or conflicting or are just unsatisfactory.

Paul is an easy choice for finding rules, instructions and structure, as you pointed out. Paul's "words" (in the case of the King Jams version) supported "Men as the master of the house" along with the king (the number one man) as selected by God to rule.
    +1
    And they are taking their men with them. OR the men get left paying the bills for the lawyers and the kids and a place to live and the lawyers and well you get the idea.
  • bricklyn sjalan 2012/03/12 01:23:22
    bricklyn
    +2
    I guess you have not notices that women do have job too. Mens should be held responsible for the children the create.
  • sjalan bricklyn 2012/03/12 03:54:10
    +1
    Oh I absolutely agree that the men should be responsible. And even when women have jobs they are still paid less than what a man would be paid in the same job with the same experience. I've seen it happen time and time again.
  • bricklyn sjalan 2012/03/15 03:06:54
    bricklyn
    +1
    Yup, in spite of all the work done to make things equal, it still has not happened.
  • Queen Katherine 2012/03/10 23:54:10
    Queen Katherine
    +4
  • The Thi... Queen K... 2012/03/16 03:21:39
    The Thinking Woman
    +1
    Me too!
  • Death Faerie 2012/03/10 23:50:48
    This isn't just women. People leaving dogma would be more accurate
    Death Faerie
    +3
    I left years ago.
  • The Thi... Death F... 2012/03/16 03:21:56
    The Thinking Woman
    +1
    So did I!
  • mr echo 2012/03/10 23:08:03
    I Don't Know
    mr echo
    +1
    they should ,just be spiritual follow you heart ,be nice ,
    thats all we should lieve by
    I Don't Know
    not that I know of
  • Lady Whitewolf 2012/03/10 22:58:21 (edited)
    +4
    And a lot of men are going with them!
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Lady Wh... 2012/03/10 23:05:39
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    1800% Population Rise in Pagan Religions last ten years
  • budgeri... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/11 00:33:31
    budgerigar42
    +1
    And teenagers.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... budgeri... 2012/03/11 01:10:22
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    Teens usually start with Wicca then as they get older some get into the more serious part of the Religion and choose a denomination Druid Strega Celtic norse Kemetic etc
  • budgeri... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/11 01:12:24
    budgerigar42
    +2
    Uhh most of the teens I know are Atheist
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... budgeri... 2012/03/11 01:13:41
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    hopefully they will Go Spiritual and find thier own path but if they choose to remain Athiest all is well the Creator loves us all
  • budgeri... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/11 01:17:10
    budgerigar42
    +2
    yeah by condemning nonbelievers to death that shows a tremendous amount of love doesn't it
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... budgeri... 2012/03/11 01:23:48
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    Pagans dont Condemn nonbelievers to death or a place of Suffering

1. there is no hell but also theres no heaven either just a Rest point area before being reborn via reincarnated

2. we are all on a journey of Self Evolution to Grow and better ourselves to Evolve our mind body and soul everyone is on the same journey but differant path

3. it actually says in the Papryus of Ani Egyptian book of the Dead
    by the Goddess Isis that man is Free and he must live as if the Gods do not exist and he will not be judged by his worship of the Gods but how he views the world around him and his treatment of others and the world around him

4. the Gods / Goddess dont play favorites like Worship me or else
    just honor them light a candle leave an offering a moments thought
    bring honor to them

5. even if people who mess up and do bad things can make ammends
  • budgeri... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/11 15:05:45
    budgerigar42
    +1
    I meant the Christians... *facepalm*
  • prosper... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/16 03:46:45 (edited)
    prosperhappily
    I find this interesting.

I have a problem with the concept of hell. To hear most Christians tell it, You have to be a member of the club if you want a guaranteed spot in heaven. So, an earnest seeker who tries his/her best, but isn't a christian is probably going to hell. Seems a little bit out of proportion. Hitler, on the other hand, might have gone to heaven if he genuinely repented with his last breath. While I like the idea that anyone can be forgiven, that seems to be stretching it.

So, what would you say happened to Hitler? Is there no punishment for someone so evil?
  • The Thi... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/03/16 03:23:13
    The Thinking Woman
    It is the one religion that holds women as equal and that is beautiful. I do love your religion, DAW. It is beautiful.
    Blessed Be dear friend.
  • brandi lynn 2012/03/10 22:51:33
    I Don't Know
    brandi lynn
    maybe,m usally men are always in some thing, or have ta do with something.
  • Hanna 2012/03/10 22:43:49
    Hanna
    +3
    Women, and men, are leaving organized religion. And, based on the words of religious extremists like Rick Santorum this reality isn't surprising. Unlike religious extremists like Santorum, no woman I know thinks the child of her rapist is a gift from god.
  • The Thi... Hanna 2012/03/16 03:24:41
    The Thinking Woman
    +1
    BRAVO, well said, Hanna. I wish I could rave you a million times.

2014/09/17 17:34:48