Are Urban Americans Thinner Than Rural Americans? (Study Says So)

AdriHead 2012/09/19 23:00:00
Sure, America collectively has an obesity problem. But according to a recent study, the Americans who are bearing the brunt of the bulk come from the rural parts of the country. In other words, individuals who live in the urban landscape are skinnier than those who live in the 'burbs. Maybe it's all the walking? Or perhaps urbanites just prefer salads over burgers? Whatever the case, we'll let you make the final call about this study.

JEZEBEL.COM reports:
A new study published in the Journal of Rural Health suggests that rural Americans are almost 20% more likely to fit the clinical definition of obesity (BMI over 30) than their city-dwelling counterparts. The study relied on clinical data—i.e. people weighed and measured at doctors' offices—rather than self-reported data.

The change, researchers speculate, has something to do with rural food deserts, lack of access to fitness facilities, and that sweet spot where traditional gigantic farm breakfasts meet increased agricultural mechanization. In other words, people have trouble getting a hold of healthy foods, personal trainers aren't wandering around the corn fields (nor is there money to pay them if they were), and farmers just aren't hoeing off their ham steaks like they used to.

trainers wandering corn fields money pay farmers hoeing ham steaks

Read More: http://jezebel.com/5944099/urban-americans-are-thi...

• Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/01/03 21:01:56
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/09/25 18:46:28
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    Depends on the city, though.

NYC I would believe because there is so, so much walking. LA...I don't know. There's a lot of sitting in traffic.
  • lucky 2012/09/25 18:43:20
    lucky
    Possible, in urban areas its quick and easy to just walk to entertainment, dining, school, work and other things. In rural areas those things are often to far to walk in a reasonable time and in bad weather or during night hours there is no cover, no lights, nothing but you and darkness or you frozen or wet in the middle of some country road somewhere without a soul in sight for possibly hours.
  • Royo 2012/09/25 01:12:36
    Royo
    +1
    Well it's easy to lose weight when you live in a walking city. If I tried to walk to school everyday, I would lose weight and NEVER GET THERE.
  • mae 2012/09/23 05:03:45
    mae
    +1
    I contend the exact opposite: Urban dwellers are generally more overweight than country/rural dwellers.
  • EmoMcParland 2012/09/23 04:44:47
    EmoMcParland
    We have barbecues, we have family gatherings, & barbecue regularly. Additionally we have several cars, because we generally have light traffic. I Lived in rural & urban communities. I prefer rural; we are all fat & happy ; )
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/09/22 21:25:06
    Margaret Jacobson
    It depends on WHO they are talking abut !, Where the population lives. North, south, east, west ??
  • Helmholtz 2012/09/22 20:34:32
    Helmholtz
    If the study says so. It makes sense -- more walking and access to healthy food.
  • Cheerios 2012/09/22 19:21:33
    Cheerios
    +1
    People walk way more in urban areas. Where i live, most people are skinny or average, there's very few morbidly obese people. But if you drive just an hour away, you will see way more obese and very overweight people.
  • Jahk 2012/09/22 19:18:22
    Jahk
    +1
    Probably true. Urban folks are squashed together where Rural folks have wide open spaces! ;-{)}
  • Your Favorite Nerd 2012/09/22 18:39:07
    Your Favorite Nerd
    It's hard to have a car in the city, so most people walk around instead of driving...
  • Ramón 2012/09/22 18:10:33
    Ramón
    Yes they are. It takes energy to run from that d**n mugger. It takes energy to swipe and fight for that cab someone else hailed! It takes energy to jump the turnstile and make that train! It takes energy to suck up to your boss to get that raise! D**mnit, urbanites unite!
  • Cn2012 2012/09/22 18:01:55
    Cn2012
    Their all fat.
  • whateverbabynevermind 2012/09/22 11:52:29
    whateverbabynevermind
    +1
    In a country where the average size is fourteen, I think it's less important to squabble about where people are skinnier and just focus on lowering the national average.
  • katiepatriciascarfe 2012/09/22 09:03:16
    katiepatriciascarfe
    +3
    There is more junk food opportunities in urban areas
  • Scandalf katiepa... 2012/09/22 12:20:31
    Scandalf
    +1
    True, I was thinking about that.
    Could it be due to poverty levels?
  • Dub 2012/09/22 06:54:08
    Dub
    +1
    It all depends on the person. I've seen fat people in cities before and skinny people in corn fields. I've also seen skinny people in cities and fat people tryin to get it on with cows.
  • elijahomar496 2012/09/22 05:45:47
    elijahomar496
    We prefer salads over burgers!
  • Maleficent 2012/09/21 22:06:09
    Maleficent
    i think so. but it depends on the person not the area they live in.
  • Daryl 2012/09/21 21:33:04
    Daryl
    +2
    Yes because running down the street to your drug dealer and getting abortions burns calories.
  • Dub Daryl 2012/09/22 06:52:59
    Dub
    +1
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, and a few more HAHAHA. But its true.
  • Scandalf Daryl 2012/09/22 12:23:53
    Scandalf
    +1
    Ok evil Conservative.
    You forgot all the calories these guys lose in useless protests!
    and... gay people love to dance! LOL!
  • Daryl Scandalf 2012/09/22 19:07:05
    Daryl
    +1
    Imagine all the calories they burn running down to the store for butt lube and rectal tampons.
  • addie Scandalf 2012/09/22 19:43:30
    addie
    lol
  • marty 2012/09/21 20:24:19
    marty
    There are more people and opportunities to stay fit in urban areas. Swimming in a pond, running through fields, and whatsuch is well and good, but with long job hours and fear (ticks, snakes, etc), rural dwellers are more likely to just stay home.
  • Karebear 2012/09/21 20:21:22
    Karebear
    Most people here in West Virginia are overweight or obese. We have nothingto do so we sit around the house, or, when we play any sports, they're ones where being overweight is OK (football, riding ATVs).
  • lolitalovely 2012/09/21 19:47:53
    lolitalovely
    +1
    It depends on location, I guess. Most of the urban areas here have more of a weight problem.
  • Michaelene 2012/09/21 19:28:20
    Michaelene
    The February issue of Men's Fitness magazine has named Houston, Texas "America's Fattest City" for the second year running (or not running). Among "fat cities," Houston ranks No. 1, followed by Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia and Dallas. http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/sto...
    Source CDC
  • Cheerios Michaelene 2012/09/22 19:25:32
    Cheerios
    I come from Detroit, and most of the people here aren't that fat. Also, we have an 80% black population and by genetics african americans tend to have larger hips and backsides. Also all these studies are based on BMI, meaning, that if someone is muscular they are considered fat.
  • Michaelene Cheerios 2012/09/25 18:51:14
    Michaelene
    Please take note that I listed the source, the CDC.
    I'm from Philly and we are so thankful that we are no longer the #1 fattest city in America.

I'm a city girl, stuck temporarily in the burbs, and it was a rude awakening. I've always thought us city dwellers were more active than the "burbanites" but I've found the complete opposite is true. The recreational facilities, physical activities, etc are more readily available.

As a former director of an award winning Rec center in the midst of the city, the lack of parental involvement is atrocious. No wonder there are so many fat kids, they have no example to follow except for people like me who forced the children to participate in a sport, any sport. When the city mandated that all pools be no deeper than 4 feet, we lost ALL of our city swim teams, especially mine who developed quite a few outstanding swimmers. That option is GONE.
  • Cheerios Michaelene 2012/09/26 02:37:14
    Cheerios
    "No wonder there are so many fat kids, they have no example to follow except for people like me who forced the children to participate in a sport, any sport..." sorry but that sounds really...mean (that's the nicest way i can put it). I don't know what city you're living in but I've lived in 3 major cities and I've noticed that in general the suburbanites are fatter. Like i said, BMI is what most of these are based on and it's not accurate.
  • Michaelene Cheerios 2012/09/26 16:59:26
    Michaelene
    I guess you did not read my response, just like you did not look at the CDC report.

Do you really think calling someone fat is worse than calling someone obese?

Yes, I did force my camp kids to participate in sport's activities, if they did not want to they had the option to call their parents to come get them. They'd be waiting forever!

My time was spent teaching and supervising the multiple sports activities that were listed on the camp application as required participation. Like most underfunded city recreation activities, I had no one to watch them sit on their butts to watch cartoons. Not one single parent out of the 50 attendees ever volunteered a single minute for their children's benefit.
  • Cheerios Michaelene 2012/09/27 01:37:35
    Cheerios
    What are you even talking about? I did read your response, it would be a lot easier to respond to if you would make sense and quit talking about your life that I know nothing about. I never said that calling someone fat was worse than calling them obese. How about you read MY response before you try to tell me about something i know about. If you'd read what i said you would have noticed that I've lived in multiple major cities and what i said has applied to all of them. I know its really hard to read what i said before you respond, just like i MUST listen to you because you cited something (watch out, we got a badass over here!) but still try. Anyway, what i meant by "that's mean" is that not everyone wants to participate in sports just because you like to, and what i meant by "mean" was douchy.
  • Michaelene Cheerios 2012/10/01 20:14:22
    Michaelene
    You must think you are impressing me because of your experience in just 3 American cities, it's not. I'd be more impressed if you had said you lived in 3 varieties of American communitites.

You are losing this discussion with your name calling and ad hominem attacks. While I am refuting your opinionated statements with quotes and studies, you mock my attempt to enlighted you cold hard facts.

As long as there are people like myself who work hard to help children exercise, socialize and participate in physical actiity the situation would get better.
    But when their are "douchy" folks like you with your broad brush of division, derision and prejuicide, looking down your nose at other communities who engage in physical activity dailythat is just outside your little 3 city experience.
  • T. James H 2012/09/21 16:50:16
  • T. James H T. James H 2012/09/21 16:59:12
  • marty T. James H 2012/09/21 20:18:57
    marty
    +2
    BMI doesn't take into account muscle, bone, or fat density so it's not accurate.
  • Stephen 2012/09/21 15:54:06
    Stephen
    Or at least probably. I think they move around more.
  • Matt Forrester 2012/09/21 15:53:57
    Matt Forrester
    +1
    Man, the one time I'm looking for an "other" or "I don't know" response & you don't give me one...living Down Under & never having been to the States, I can't judge in any other way than simply trusting the study!!
  • Scandalf Matt Fo... 2012/09/22 12:27:04
    Scandalf
    +1
    Well said, mate!

2014/07/28 16:01:50