Are they out of line?

Angie 2012/09/13 20:18:08
My daughter is in Kindergarten (she's 5) - she has become friends with a boy in her class. We get together regularly with this boy & his parents for play dates.

In Kindergarten the teacher starts the day by giving the children cards, and throughout the day she takes the cards and either stamps a smiley face, or draws an X on the card. Obviously smiley faces are given for good behavior, and the X's are given for bad behavior. If your child receives 3 x's in a day, the teacher will write a note explaining the behavior - and you are supposed to talk to your child about the bad behavior, and sign it.

My daughter's cards always have smiley faces. The number of smiley faces vary (some days it's one, some days it's four). My daughter's friend gets an X daily...I am not sure why he get's X's daily. One day my daughter said he got an X because he was talking TOO loud.

Okay...getting to the point. - While walking to school with my daughter, her friend, and his Dad - His dad said to me "My son has gotten an X on his card every single day. If my son gets another X on his card at school, we told him he could not have a birthday party next week"

This boy has never gotten 3 X's (where a note and signature was required by a parent). However, he get's X's on a daily basis. What if he forgets and doesn't raise his hand while answering a question? What if he gets an X? He is going to turn 6 next week...and it breaks my heart to think of a little six-year old boy, not getting a birthday party because he acted out in Kindergarten.

What do you think? Is it too much? or, Am I naive because my daughter doesn't act out?

• grimlin 2012/09/13 23:41:47
    grimlin
    hey this is dumb i one x per day?? not bad at ALL!! not as bad as i was when i was little i would never do the work because it was too easy then i would draw all over my paper. Kinda like now? except now i also randomly read in class. rolls eyes. some people really are bitches no need to punish a kid for that inless they are like a teen like me
  • TEPP 2012/09/13 22:13:25
    TEPP
    It just means the kid needs to practice indoor behavior, which is perfectly normal for any child. . . Okay, that sounded helpful; WHAT HAVE YOU PEOPLE DONE TO ME!?
  • 666_Maggots~I'm a female! 2012/09/13 20:57:55
    666_Maggots~I'm a female!
    +1
    The teacher seems like she needs to lighten up. And if a note wasn't needed, then why cancel the party? Pfft....
  • Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2012/09/13 20:57:36
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    Seems a bit like they are overreacting to one X a day.
  • Erik Dean 2012/09/13 20:54:14
    Erik Dean
    No, they're within their rights.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/09/13 20:28:49
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    Sounds like a rather strong action for them to take when he get no notes form the teacher. He sounds like typical little boy. I would not interfere with another parents discipline.
  • MeiLin 2012/09/13 20:27:37
    MeiLin
    The teacher seriously needs to lighten up
    +1
    too much control

2014/12/22 01:25:02