Are St. Bernards Good Dogs?

Kylee 2010/09/02 00:04:32
Related Topics: Dogs, St. Bernard
Just wondering if anyone knows much about them...there's a lovely pup for sale and I really want it. Daisy already said yes, so maybe tonight I'll go pick him up.

lovely pup sale daisy tonight ill

(Not him, but look how cute they are!!!!!)

• giantapplepie 2010/09/30 00:45:29
  • dogsinfo 2010/09/09 17:23:40
    dogsinfo
    +3
    http://www.dogs-info.net all base knowledge on Dogs breed information,how to care for Dogs and how to groom,feed,breeding,train dogs,also Provide help for Dog Supplies and Dogs Travel information
  • tweety 2010/09/03 03:13:34
    tweety
    +1
    They are beautiful dogs. A dog is only as good as its owner!
  • ASPEN 2010/09/02 08:30:08
    ASPEN
    +1
    I found this article. I think it will answer all of your questions:

Saint Bernard Temperament
    What's Good About 'Em,
    What's Bad About 'Em
    By Michele Welton. Copyright © 2000-2010

A well-bred Saint Bernard is calm, sensible, and patient. Some are more outgoing, others more introspective.
    Adult Saint Bernards are calm and quiet indoors -- youngsters are boisterous -- but all Saint Bernards need space and deserve a roomy home with a spacious fenced yard in the suburbs or country. This breed needs daily exercise (whether he seems to want it or not) to stay fit, although long daily walks will do, along with regular opportunities to stretch out and lope around. He loves to romp in the snow, and pulling a cart or carrying a backpack gives him a purpose in life.
    Companionship is of prime importance to this sociable breed. Left alone too much, he becomes dispirited -- and destructive.
    Saint Bernards are generally relaxed and accepting of everyone, but because he is such a massive dog, he requires early, frequent excursions into the world so that he grows up to trust and respect people.
    Most Saint Bernards are fine with other animals when raised with them, but there is some dog aggression, which can be frightening to experience because of this breed's sheer bulk and power.
    Saints hav...

Saint Bernard Temperament
    What's Good About 'Em,
    What's Bad About 'Em

Saints have an independent streak, but they are willing to please if you can establish consistent rules through motivational training methods that include praise and food rewards.
    Saint Bernards are hard to beat as droolers, slobberers, and loud contented snorers.

If you want a dog who...

Is massive, heavy, and powerful, with a thick furry coat
    Is usually kind and steady-tempered with everyone
    Loves pulling carts and sleds and romping in cold weather
    Is responsive to training in a slow, good-natured way
    A Saint Bernard may be right for you.

If you don't want to deal with...

A very bulky dog who takes up a lot of space in your house and car
    A heavy dog who wants to sit on your feet and lean his weight against your leg
    Rowdiness and exuberant jumping when young
    Loneliness and destructiveness when left alone too much
    Fearfulness or aggression in some lines, or when not socialized enough
    Some stubbornness and/or dominance problems, especially in males
    Heavy shedding
    Slobbering and drooling
    Potential for serious health problems and a short lifespan
    A Saint Bernard may not be right for you.

If I were considering buying or adopting a Saint Bernard

My major concerns would be:
    Providing the proper balance of exercise. Young Saint Bernards need enough exercise to keep them lean and healthy, but not so much that their soft growing bones, joints, and ligaments become over-stressed and damaged. Adult Saint Bernards need more exercise to keep them in shape, but not in hot or humid weather for fear of overheating. The proper amount of exercise can be difficult to regulate in giant breeds.
    Since you have to minimize their exercise, young Saint Bernards can be rambunctious. They will romp with uncoordinated gawkiness all over your house. You need to substitute extra quantities of companionship and supervision. Otherwise, left alone, young Saint Bernards become bored and destructive -- and their powerful jaws can literally destroy your living room.
    I strongly recommend that you get your Saint Bernard involved in obedience classes at the intermediate or advanced level, or tracking, or pulling a cart or sled, or even just hiking and swimming. This is a working dog who needs something interesting to do.
    Providing enough socialization. Saint Bernards need extensive exposure to people and to unusual sights and sounds. Otherwise their natural caution can become extreme shyness, suspiciousness, or aggression, all of which are difficult to live with, especially with such a massive dog.
    Stronger temperament than you might think. Though Saint Bernards look like huge, soft teddy bears, they are not pushovers to raise and train. Some individuals, especially males, are willful and dominant (they want to be the boss) and will make you prove that you can make them do things. You must show them, through absolute consistency, that you mean what you say. Some Saint Bernard males are also dominant or aggressive toward other male dogs.
    To teach your Saint to listen to you, "Respect Training" is mandatory. My Saint Bernard Training Page discusses the program you need.
    Heavy shedding. Saint Bernards shed a LOT. You'll find hair and fur all over your clothing, upholstery, carpeting, under your furniture, on your countertops -- even in your food. Frequent vacuuming will become a way of life. Make sure you're REALLY up for this.
    Slobbering. Most people are not prepared for how much Saint Bernards slobber and drool, especially after eating or drinking. When they shake their heads, you will literally be toweling saliva and slime off your clothes, furniture, and walls.
    Serious health problems. The lifespan of a Saint Bernard is short and an alarming number are crippled by bone and joint diseases and/or succumb to cancer in middle age.

To learn more about training Saint Bernards to be calm and well-behaved, consider my dog training book,
    Teach Your Dog 100 English Words.

It's a unique Vocabulary and Respect Training Program that will make your Saint Bernard the smartest, most well-behaved companion you've ever had.

Teaches your dog to listen to you, to pay attention to you, and to do whatever you ask him to do.

My dog buying guide, How To Buy a Good Dog, will teach you everything you need to know about finding a healthy Saint Bernard puppy. Health problems have become so widespread in dogs today that this book is required reading for ANYONE who is thinking of getting a purebred, crossbred, or mixed breed dog.

If you'd like to consult with me personally about whether the Saint Bernard might be a good dog breed for your family, I offer a Dog Breed Consulting Service.

Once you have your Saint Bernard home, you need to KEEP him healthy -- or if he's having any current health problems, you need to get him back on the road to good health.

My dog health care book, 11 Things You Must Do Right To Keep Your Dog Healthy and Happy is the book you need.

Raise your dog the right way and you will be helping him live a longer, healthier life while avoiding health problems and unnecessary veterinary expenses.

Please consider adopting an ADULT Saint Bernard...

When you're acquiring a Saint Bernard PUPPY, you're acquiring potential -- what he one day will be. So "typical breed characteristics" are very important.
    But when you acquire an adult dog, you're acquiring what he already IS and you can decide whether he is the right dog for you based on that reality. There are plenty of adult Saint Bernards who have already proven themselves NOT to have negative characteristics that are "typical" for their breed. If you find such an adult dog, don't let "typical breed negatives" worry you. Just be happy that you found an atypical individual -- and enjoy!
    Save a life. Adopt a dog.
    Adopting a Dog From a Dog Breed Rescue Group
    Adopting a Dog From the Animal Shelter
  • Captain Spaulding (Movie-Guy) 2010/09/02 06:52:36
    Captain Spaulding (Movie-Guy)
    +2
    Not if they get rabies
    rabies
  • Kylee Captain... 2010/09/02 13:32:19
    Kylee
    +2
    Oh Cujo...
  • Caca 2010/09/02 04:12:32
    Caca
    +1
    THEY ARE FREAKIN CUTE
    when it gets big you should ride it like a pony cuz they get at least 7 feet tall
  • Kylee Caca 2010/09/02 13:31:57
    Kylee
    I'd rather not. Lol.
  • La 2010/09/02 03:16:51
    La
    +1
    Yes they are. My uncle breeds them :D Only problem: they drool a lot. Be prepared ;)
  • Maria[Munroe's-Sugarplum] 2010/09/02 03:04:57
    Maria[Munroe's-Sugarplum]
    +2
    Oh, they're Great dogs! I don't have one, but I've been around them a few times! I love them :D
    They're Cute and Cuddly!:D haha
  • Bozette 2010/09/02 02:03:45
    Bozette
    +2
    St. Bernards are excellent dogs. They are very loyal, protective of you and family, and very good natured. I had one pure-bred and one mix (and lots of puppies!) and they were awesome pets. They are also good with other animals.
  • Dixienc 2010/09/02 00:52:56
    Dixienc
    +3
    If you raise him right he will be a good dog. Just be prepared for how big he'll get. There is no such thing as a bad dog...there's only bad owners. No dog is born "bad". They're created by people who are bad. All of the St Bernards I've ever been around have been great dogs. They're just really really big!!!
  • ILovePotter 2010/09/02 00:23:53
    ILovePotter
    +2
    idk but they look so DAMN ADORABLE!!! idk damn adorable
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2010/09/02 00:18:26
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    +2
    Yes, they are great dogs, especially if you have kids (though puppies are always a risk with kids b/c they bite as play).

Just keep in mind the size. You will probably need a fenced in yard if you don't have one already. B/c of their size they will cost more. Also, they drool a lot so you have to be ok with that.
  • Kylee fairief... 2010/09/02 00:31:05
    Kylee
    +2
    We live on a beach, but it's got a fenced back.

I'm fine with the slobber too.
  • fairief... Kylee 2010/09/02 00:32:38
    +2
    The beach is an awesome place to raise a pup :)
  • La Kylee 2010/09/02 03:19:46
    La
    +1
    Chya speshly for you Kylee 'cause it'll get really hot in summertime for them! Quite thick coats...better hope the dog likes playing in the water :D
  • Kylee La 2010/09/02 03:25:11
    Kylee
    +1
    Can see it now! Lol. Daisy's excited because he now might have a dog that isn't a bitch and might fetch a footy with him. Haha.
  • Scorpiano 2010/09/02 00:17:08
    Scorpiano
    +1
    They are nice dogs, but they are prone to Hip Dysplasia.
  • Kylee Scorpiano 2010/09/02 00:19:01
    Kylee
    +2
    That's the only con I've come about really.
  • Scorpiano Kylee 2010/09/02 00:34:14 (edited)
    Scorpiano
    +1
    Here is a very good website that may be helpful.

It tells how you can help prevent it from taking over your dogs life to early.
    http://www.workingdogs.com/vc...
  • Kylee Scorpiano 2010/09/02 00:34:50
    Kylee
    +1
    Thanks heaps mate!!
  • Scorpiano Kylee 2010/09/02 00:59:30
    Scorpiano
    You`re very welcome and may your new family puppy live a long happy life with you. :)
  • Dixienc Scorpiano 2010/09/02 00:55:05 (edited)
    Dixienc
    +2
    Start him off early on canine glucosomine. My big dog was either kicked or hit by a car when he was a pup and had a break that didn't heal properly. He gets the glucosomine daily and it has helped build up his muscle tone and the bone and cartilege around the break.

edit: my computer has a mind of it's own tonight. The glucosomine is also good for dogs that are prone to hip dsyplacia. It helps rebuild the lack of cartilege around the hip socket that causes the dsyplacia. It also helps to strengthen the hip joints making them less prone to the dysplacia.
  • Scorpiano Dixienc 2010/09/02 01:03:25
    Scorpiano
    Thank You Dixie and I will remember this information for future reference, but Kaylee is getting the puppy. :)
  • Dixienc Scorpiano 2010/09/02 01:07:48 (edited)
    Dixienc
    +1
    Well you're welcomed. lol lol lol I told you my computer has a mind of it's own tonight. Either that or my fingers are acting up. I could have sworn I clicked reply on her post. lol lol lol I'm watching LA Ink and not paying attention if the truth be known.
  • Scorpiano Dixienc 2010/09/02 01:14:35
    Scorpiano
    Are you using a laptop by chance ?

Mine does stuff that never happened on my desktop.
  • Dixienc Scorpiano 2010/09/02 01:37:16
    Dixienc
    +1
    yeah....I use my laptop more than the other one. I think it's more that I'm paying more attention to the TV than what I'm typing. But I know what you're saying. My laptop is haunted. I got so used to using it after my back surgery though I hardly ever go into my office and get on the desk top anymore.
  • Scorpiano Dixienc 2010/09/02 02:41:18
    Scorpiano
    In my case I think it`s because I`m not used to this touchy flat mouse area.
    I don`t use my big PC anymore either, because I can`t sit in a chair
    without the nerves in my legs going crazy
  • Dixienc Scorpiano 2010/09/02 09:08:04
    Dixienc
    +1
    Good Morning.

I've gotten pretty used to the flat mouse but have a wireless mouse that I use if I'm at a desk or something. It's a mini mouse so my lap board that I use for the laptop has room for it also. You might want to look into something like that. I understand completely about the sitting in a chair thing. I can but after a short time I have to get up. If I didnt do the majority of my work at home I'd surely get fired for walking around so much at a conventional job.
  • Scorpiano Dixienc 2010/09/02 17:57:44
    Scorpiano
    Hey, Thank you, I think I will get a mouse like what you have,
    because I hate losing some of my writings after I put a lot of
    time in it just to have it wiped out because my pc decide to
    click to a new page by itself. Lol.
  • Dixienc Scorpiano 2010/09/02 18:00:43
    Dixienc
    +1
    yeah that pad is a tad touchy at times. lol lol
  • they call me hippie woman lol 2010/09/02 00:11:09
    they call me hippie woman lol
    +1
    awww! sooo adorable!! i have never had one but i have also never heard bad things about one.
  • Alejandra 2010/09/02 00:07:23
    Alejandra
    +2
    There awesome loveable, loyal dogs.! who don't need that much room to run..!!

2014/09/02 09:43:50