Are Pit Bulls "Natural Born" Killers?

CampDavid †DEO VALENTI † 2008/07/07 21:20:04
YES! Pit Bulls are Natural Born Killers & should be banned.
No. It is how or who raises them that makes the difference.
UNDECIDED. I need more information.
No. It's who raises them, but they should still be banned.
Americans love their dogs. Most owners of any particular breed will back up their aminals reputation, by saying "it is how or by who they are raised".
Pit Bulls have accounted for over one half of all 'deaths by dog attack' in America and Canada since 1998. No other dog comes close to their record. Worse yet, most of their victims have been children and elderly.This is not even encluding the number of other dogs & pets the have killed. Even family pet Pits have attacked and killed their own family children and pets.
Several Major Metropolitan Cities, Detriot And Denver to name two, have legally declared & listed Pit Bulls(American Bull dogs) as "Lethal Weapons", making it illegal for minors to own or be in control of one. If found in control of one, it is an automatic 'death sentence' for the animal.
Last year, seven children were killed in Texas alone. One by one more Cities & towns are taking measures to ban Pit Bulls.
Over the years several breeds of dogs have led the list of 'killer' dogs, but none come close to the record the 'Pit Bull Terrier' has racked up! Unfortunantly for the Pit Bull, it is designed & built physically to be a powerful fighting, biting machine. And now stats are showing that it is also 'programmed' to be an animal that attacks & fights to the death.
As a dog lover I hate condemn any animal. I have raised and bred dogs for over 30 years. I know many breeds and their tendencies. Personaly I would never allow my children or grandchildren to be in the possition to be in danger from any animal. The stats prove, and the professionals agree, that Pit Bulls are unpredictable and unstable during stressful stuations, and a likely to attack without any given notice. And since many pits have had their tails cropped, their 'signals of agression may go overlooked.
So I ask, are Pit Bulls "Natural Born Killers", which America should do more to protect our children from.

• mary 2008/07/08 02:08:38
    UNDECIDED. I need more information.
    mary
    +10
    I work in a hospital and I see more dog bites from these animals more than anyother. The parent will say he has never done anything like this before. I hear it all the time.

• CampDav... jellyfish 2009/07/20 15:25:03
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    +2
    Just 2 days ago, a member of our church told us her grand daughter,2 years old, got up in middle of the night and went out to their new pool. The childs has grown up with 2 "American Bulldog/Pitbulls", who frantically woke the adults and led them to the pool where they pulled the child out just in time to revive her before any brain damage happened. They had to do all the CPR & recue proceedures, but it WAS in time. I know that ALL dogs can have good in them. That is how God created them.
  • jellyfish CampDav... 2009/07/22 21:10:25
    jellyfish
    +1
    That's a great story. I've heard many like that. I wish those were the stories that were shared in the media.
  • Robby jellyfish 2009/07/31 20:38:20 (edited)
    Robby
    +1
    ... "Where's the apology?"
  • CampDav... jellyfish 2009/08/01 17:04:01 (edited)
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    +1

Porcupines are very passive creatures. This pic of a Pit shows just how agressive they are. Any other animal would have been long gone after one quill got them, but the Pit has a 'killer instinct'. Imagine the pain this pit endured, and STILL kept going till it killed. I have had to stand off 2 pits once, and my 70 year old uncle had 2 come from behind and rip his 10 year old sheltie dog to pieces will he tried to fight to save him. He ended up with multiple stitches, and still mourns the lose of his dear sidekick. He was walking his dog on a leash down his own street, and some grown man let his 2 pits pull free from him. It is so sad. So one of my points is that regardless of how "people safe" they may say pits are, they are NOT animal safe, and there are too many like me who have their own animals at their side 99% of the time. We should not have to fear for our own dogs life just because there are so many irrisponsible pit owners out there. Some kind of ban & restrictions should be enforced, but the actions should be aimed more at the "peolpe", not the pits. IMHO
    We here stories on the news all the time here in Fort Worth, including recently, a grandmother had 2 pits she raised, and one day out of the blue, they attacked her 3 year old granddaughter while the grandmother ...

We here stories on the news all the time here in Fort Worth, including recently, a grandmother had 2 pits she raised, and one day out of the blue, they attacked her 3 year old granddaughter while the grandmother was giving her a bath, and the grandmother fought them. The neighbors tried to save her when she made it outside while fighting them. But they killed her on her porch. The baby was ok, but still was injured.
  • jellyfish CampDav... 2009/08/01 21:01:30 (edited)
    jellyfish
    removed
  • CampDav... jellyfish 2009/08/02 02:03:22
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    +1
    NO OTHER dog would go to the extremes to kill like that one that killed the porcupine. That is PURE BLOOD LUST! And you can post triple the number of same stats about pit bulls. I have stood up for both points here, but you seem to give no ground. Even when people with personal stories of tragedy come here, you bully them with your one-sided opinion. You skip right by these true stories of terrible & horrifying attacks from pits. You don't even address the facts that pits ARE EXTREMELY animal agressive!!! My own dogs are my kids, and I believe their safety comes before the rights of some blood-lust animal's rights. There are too many examples of the wrong kind of pit-bull-people and/or pits themselves. I am considered a dog expert to a point, and I know the difference between breeds. Just because you know an "agressive labrador" means you know people who MAKE their dogs agressive, which is even more reason for society to keep pits out of the hands of MANY! I have raised & bred Labs for over 33 years, and have NEVER know an agressive one, or know one to attack any person.
    So your company was nice here for a while, but your failure to respect others & their stories has earned you a block. It is NOT that you support or even love pits, it is because I don't need you harrasing & insulting ...
    ""

&&'
    So your company was nice here for a while, but your failure to respect others & their stories has earned you a block. It is NOT that you support or even love pits, it is because I don't need you harrasing & insulting the guests to my polls anymore.
    FYI-if you want to tell people about good pits, skip the silly "Little Rascals" story, and tell them about a True American hero if you know your pits so well.
    people pits skip silly rascals story true american hero pits
    Sergeant Stubby is a true war hero, medals & all. Look him up if you want a pit to brag about. A stray at that. Not some over bred, pumped out for money, sold to any & every gangbanger who wants to terrify others, too often easily disposed of papered pit either! If you love pits so much, you should realize that major restrictions are needed for those who own them, or soon this worthless administration in power of our govt will soon enforce policies that only hurt the pits, and not the worthless owners who don't really care about them.
  • Tess36 CampDav... 2011/07/31 07:28:07
    Tess36
    +2
    It is extremely disturbing tha would post those pictures of a dog in obvious distress, regardless of whether it is a pit bull. And then you brag about being a dog breeder for over 33 years... When millions of dogs die in our shelters every year. What a horrible human being you are.
  • Dawn CampDav... 2011/10/14 20:23:31
    Dawn
    That's not a pitbull in the picture. It's a Bull Terrier. I know very similiar names, but still for me it's easy to tell the difference completely acceptable to be mistaken.
  • shelly CampDav... 2012/12/19 16:14:20
    shelly
    +3
    If im not mistaken that's a bull terrier not a pitbull and I've had pit bulls since i was 12 an never been bit by one but i have been bit by labs an a few little dogs scars on both legs because of them as of now i have one now an four kids oldest is nine youngest is four i wouldn't have another breed of dog around my kids my oil dog i use to have was meaner than any portion I've ever had
  • Robby CampDav... 2009/07/31 20:38:35
    Robby
    +1
    Really nice story. That dog is 1 of the good 1s. But I still ask...
  • Robby jellyfish 2009/07/31 20:35:41 (edited)
    Robby
    +1
    So why are YOU CONCEDING & APOLOGIZING to the wrong person, meaning, CampDav... & not to me & MY FRIEND for YOUR insult? You had so much mouth about my friend, but when "CampDav..." puts you in your place, (Thank you, CampDav..., btw!) you wimp out. Why is that? My friend could have lost his life. Thankfully he didn't. & my friend DID NOT provoke the dog. The dog attacked him. This was just a freak accident, but your attitude & your response wasn't called for. So, where is your apology? I'm willing to live & let live, if you'll apologize.
  • xELITEx... Robby 2011/11/28 06:15:25
    xELITExNIKOLAIx
    +2
    Well was your friend in a way close to the dog in the dogs face kind of
    Because if he was then this is an act of self defense they think ur going to attack them and dogs play by hitting and jumping on each other
  • Robby jellyfish 2009/07/31 20:20:19 (edited)
  • CampDav... Robby 2009/07/31 20:49:49
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    I was going to thank you for your kind words above. Then I saw this. Just remember that many are very sincere about their love for these dogs. That in itself gives them no reason to go off on you. But I myself try very hard to remember this one verse when possible- remember love dogs reason remember verse
  • Robby CampDav... 2009/08/01 09:24:54
    Robby
    +1
    Words to live by & to remember! Thank you! {{{{^_^}}}}
  • jellyfish Robby 2009/08/01 21:02:58 (edited)
    jellyfish
    removed
  • CampDav... jellyfish 2009/08/02 02:11:06
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    +1
    You are a real case aren't you. Pits do not need a voice like yours sticking up for them. They are better off without foul mouths bullies like you speaking up for them. Pits have a bad enough rep as it is, and those who act like you do only prove the point that certain people should not be allowed to own them. Of course a bully like you will not look at other bullies like normal people do! You show your a@* too much, and I will not allow you to bully others in my polls anymore. If you stalk me or anyone else in my posts anymore, a simple report to the SH staff will be enough to fix the problem, cause from here on out you are blocked. Any attempt to pass blocks by making puppets or posting through friends will be considered stalking & being a cyberber bully, and a violation of SH TOS. So... blocks puppets posting friends stalking cyberber bully violation sh tos
  • Pebbles... CampDav... 2009/08/03 22:21:35
    Pebbles "in God We Trust"
    +1
    CampDavid, you are the most patient man I have come across in a long time. How do you do it? LOL God bless you.
  • CampDav... Pebbles... 2009/08/03 23:42:23
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    +1
    This issue tears me appart. Even this Sunday, we discovered a pair of pits, (the male is mixed breed), living under the utility shed behind our church. They have been there for the past week, and have acted agressive to anyone coming near, but run off a small ways. The female obviously has had a recent litter. (maybe under our shed) You know I have bred dogs, and know these things. This poor pit looks as she has been bred countless times, and now has just been discarded cause she is no longer useful to the worthless breeder.
    Now you know we HAD to call animal control on this pair, and there will be only one outcome of her being captured. But it breaks my heart, as I see more stray & running loose pits than any other breed. I often stop and rescue strays dogs, but have never "rescued" a pit, as I almost always have at least one of my labs with me. NEVER have I ever had a dog I picked up act agressive towards my dogs, cause I know what I am doing, and I could & would NEVER put my animals at risk by adding a pit to the mix. I have even put myself at risk with pits just like at church this weekend, by trying to approach them to help.
    This guy "Jellyfish" has no true love for dogs, or he would see both sides on this. He is another example of the people who refuse to see facts, and he o...""""&""
    This guy "Jellyfish" has no true love for dogs, or he would see both sides on this. He is another example of the people who refuse to see facts, and he only wants to talk about the "people-friendly" nature of pits, and does not see the truths about how dangerous they are to other dogs, and therefore to their owners who will try to protect their own animals from them. Every stat he wants others to see, he hides or ignores dozens of stats that counter them. Ultimately, it is still the animals that pay. They may NOT be "natural born killers", but they are most certainly & undeniably "naturaly designed killing machines".
    I also let that SH go on for too long, and I appologise to the other SHs for this.
  • Pebbles... CampDav... 2009/08/04 02:39:34
    Pebbles "in God We Trust"
    +1
    There is no reason for you to apologize CampDavid. Every point that you tried to make was disregarded and that is a loss for him. There are always two sides to every thing, every opinion. If he would have just opened up and listened and took it the way it was intended, he would have learned something.
    It is so sad that these dogs have been down bred and the end result is a very aggressive, unpredictable dog. It is not the dogs fault that this has happened. Man did this to the breed. I have done (and still do) quite a bit of dog rescue. The last one that I attempted to help/rescue was a Pitt Bull. She escaped her wire cage when the lady(?) that had her let the tailgate down on her truck to unload her. This dog was brought in from PA in the back of this truck during the coldest part of the winter. (Think about that for a minute.) When this poor dog got the chance, she ran for it. She roamed the neighborhood for 4 months getting by on the generousity of the people who wanted to help BUT she would not let anyone close to her. Animal control tried everything to no avail. She finally got comfortable enough to come into the garage to eat and sleep but she was always ready to bolt when she heard a noise. She had been used as a 'bait' dog and she was brought to TN for this lady to use a...''""
    It is so sad that these dogs have been down bred and the end result is a very aggressive, unpredictable dog. It is not the dogs fault that this has happened. Man did this to the breed. I have done (and still do) quite a bit of dog rescue. The last one that I attempted to help/rescue was a Pitt Bull. She escaped her wire cage when the lady(?) that had her let the tailgate down on her truck to unload her. This dog was brought in from PA in the back of this truck during the coldest part of the winter. (Think about that for a minute.) When this poor dog got the chance, she ran for it. She roamed the neighborhood for 4 months getting by on the generousity of the people who wanted to help BUT she would not let anyone close to her. Animal control tried everything to no avail. She finally got comfortable enough to come into the garage to eat and sleep but she was always ready to bolt when she heard a noise. She had been used as a 'bait' dog and she was brought to TN for this lady to use as a breeder. That was all the info the lady would give. I don't know what finally happened to her as I left and came home to TX after 6 long months. After I left I was told that she eventually just quit coming for food. I have asked myself what I could have done differently, what could I have tried that might have worked. This dog never knew kindness from humans for most of her life. She was nothing more than a money making machine and that is wrong. I don't want to see this breed "done away with" but until the humans stop what they are doing to these dogs I do think that to own a Pit Bull there should be restrictions and regulations that have to be followed and all the dog fighting rings need to be gone. And anyone who participates in this dog fighting sport should be punished to the fullest extent of the law regardless of who they are. Just my opinion.
  • CampDav... Pebbles... 2009/08/04 03:50:20
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    +1
    Your opinion is a good one. The plight of the pits is-IMHO-another sign of the times, just as so many other anti-social behaviors are.
  • Robby CampDav... 2009/08/16 05:38:16
    Robby
    +1

{{{{^_^}}}}
  • CampDav... Robby 2009/08/24 19:57:55
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    I am not worthy. :)
  • Robby CampDav... 2009/08/25 18:17:11 (edited)
    Robby
    Too late! Yes you are! {{{{^_^}}}}
  • Taiyah Robby 2010/11/28 14:33:31
    Taiyah
    +2
    with time michael vicks pits were takin two were uthanized out of at least 15 one agressive and one badly injured beyond repair, one of the lasting became a therapy dog for old people and small children, all it takes is time every dog deserves a second chance even though its owners messed them up they all can change
  • Robby Taiyah 2011/01/27 08:28:17
    Robby
    True.
  • SoulGlowActivatur 2009/05/12 19:07:48
    SoulGlowActivatur
    +3
    the ppl train them that way.. raises difference ppl train
  • jamie g... SoulGlo... 2010/02/23 04:53:39
    jamie glawson
    +2
    Beautiful dogs
  • alejand... jamie g... 2010/03/22 06:10:46
    alejandro_rueda09
    +1
    i think is were they came from if they came from a family of mean dogs
  • nltsierra 2009/04/27 20:33:15
    nltsierra
    +5
    They are no more killers than a chihuahua.
  • Melis nltsierra 2009/07/16 19:11:10
  • nltsierra Melis 2009/07/16 22:08:16
    nltsierra
    +1
    Hehehe I think he's sticking his tongue out at me!!! LOL!
  • jellyfish Melis 2009/07/20 14:56:09
    jellyfish
    +1
    Nasty little biting dogs! Horrible. Look at that ugly face.
  • Melis jellyfish 2009/07/22 04:21:43
    Melis
    That dog is fuggles!! LOL
  • Pebbles... jellyfish 2009/08/03 22:23:33
  • Melis nltsierra 2009/07/22 04:21:15
  • nltsierra Melis 2009/07/22 19:16:49
    nltsierra
    Oh... but they BARK all the dang time!!! yap, yap, yap!!! =)
  • doc 2009/04/26 22:35:42 (edited)
    doc
    +5
    The stats don't prove any of what you said Camp David. Stop trying to scare the public and do some real research. I have, and posted my findings 4 months ago to matty507 before his mouth got him banned.

America is on a witch hunt (thanks Sports Illustrated for that BS) and Pit bulls are the victims. Who's next?

If anyone wants the real facts, go here:

http://www.sodahead.com/quest...

(all links were working at the time I did this article)
  • CampDav... doc 2009/04/27 02:47:08
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    +3
    If you look down at my own answer to this question, I do not say I think they should be banned. I myself lean more towards blaming those who raise them wrong, or aren't responsible enough own one. Being a lifetime dog lover, I feel some bans go too far and create situations where Pits get automatic death sentence for only being "walked" by a minor.
    The stats and writing came from an action alert last year. I guess the question is wrote in a way to show otherwise, but I personally do not think Pits are "natural born killers", and that the "bans" go at least one step too far in many cases. Thanks for posting a lead to a deeper look at this.
    And that is a beautiful Sheperd in your picture.
  • doc CampDav... 2009/04/27 05:00:19
    doc
    +2
    You got me there so I'll apologize for coming down on you. And say that I think we can agree that these dogs are getting a bad rap when most of the time, it's the owners that are the bigger problem. Not all owners though. There are a lot of good ones out there but we both know that sensationalism sells.

In the spirit of unity, I'll invite you to visit my Pit bull site at: Pit Bull Palace and have a look at what matty507 started.

Have a great week!

2014/09/19 22:05:16