Are Pit Bulls "Natural Born" Killers?

CampDavid †DEO VALENTI † 2008/07/07 21:20:04
YES! Pit Bulls are Natural Born Killers & should be banned.
No. It is how or who raises them that makes the difference.
UNDECIDED. I need more information.
No. It's who raises them, but they should still be banned.
Americans love their dogs. Most owners of any particular breed will back up their aminals reputation, by saying "it is how or by who they are raised".
Pit Bulls have accounted for over one half of all 'deaths by dog attack' in America and Canada since 1998. No other dog comes close to their record. Worse yet, most of their victims have been children and elderly.This is not even encluding the number of other dogs & pets the have killed. Even family pet Pits have attacked and killed their own family children and pets.
Several Major Metropolitan Cities, Detriot And Denver to name two, have legally declared & listed Pit Bulls(American Bull dogs) as "Lethal Weapons", making it illegal for minors to own or be in control of one. If found in control of one, it is an automatic 'death sentence' for the animal.
Last year, seven children were killed in Texas alone. One by one more Cities & towns are taking measures to ban Pit Bulls.
Over the years several breeds of dogs have led the list of 'killer' dogs, but none come close to the record the 'Pit Bull Terrier' has racked up! Unfortunantly for the Pit Bull, it is designed & built physically to be a powerful fighting, biting machine. And now stats are showing that it is also 'programmed' to be an animal that attacks & fights to the death.
As a dog lover I hate condemn any animal. I have raised and bred dogs for over 30 years. I know many breeds and their tendencies. Personaly I would never allow my children or grandchildren to be in the possition to be in danger from any animal. The stats prove, and the professionals agree, that Pit Bulls are unpredictable and unstable during stressful stuations, and a likely to attack without any given notice. And since many pits have had their tails cropped, their 'signals of agression may go overlooked.
So I ask, are Pit Bulls "Natural Born Killers", which America should do more to protect our children from.

• mary 2008/07/08 02:08:38
    UNDECIDED. I need more information.
    mary
    +10
    I work in a hospital and I see more dog bites from these animals more than anyother. The parent will say he has never done anything like this before. I hear it all the time.

• KCMamabear 2013/06/19 04:23:28
    KCMamabear
    Except your "statistics" are dead wrong. Even the CDC tells that all statistics involving dog attacks are highly inaccurate at best. Three universities have completed studies showing these "statistics" cannot be correct because of many factors, one being that identifying mixed breed dogs is wrong more than 50% of the time. And these studies were done with 5000 dog professionals from breeders to vets to behaviorists to trainers. Imagine how wrong the animal control officers are or the police... Not to mention that only "pit bull" attacks are ever reported. The dogs are not the issue. It's the people behind the dogs. The irresponsible breeders, the harsh owners, the people on the street who constantly react to them with fear (causing the dogs to react as well as all dogs react to fear) and above all, the a-hole, scumbag, useless dog fighters who abuse them for profit.
  • moselemon 2013/03/01 09:05:14
    moselemon
    70% of the people are a bunch of morons. pit bulls are killer mutants. gas the breed and stop the deed.
  • entity369 moselemon 2013/03/03 11:37:43
    entity369
    +2
    They are not naturally aggressive and Zak is right, It is the owners that are making pitbulls aggressive that said any dog can turn at any point not just pit bulls.
  • Andrea moselemon 2013/06/30 20:22:08
    Andrea
    +3
    Your the moron, its how they are raised.
  • breana moselemon 2014/01/20 03:31:51
  • zak.greef 2013/02/16 23:01:25
    zak.greef
    NO OF COURSE NOT!!! Pitbulls are NOT naturally aggressive, it is the owner of the pitbull that makes it aggressive but if the pitbull is owned by a responsible dog owner then the pitbull will become a loving member of the family
  • shelly 2012/12/19 16:50:58 (edited)
    shelly
    +8
    I've owned different breeds of dogs but pitbulls are by far my favorite i own one as of now an she is a very good dog my kids love her an she loves me an my kids she know all her basic commands an then some in more afraid of labs than pitbulls
  • samantha.christie.104 2012/09/10 17:25:46
    samantha.christie.104
    u can raise a chiuaha to be a killer really and u can raise a pit to be a the sweetest of alll animals its alll in the person that raises them and WAT THEY WANT THEM TO BE guard dog a lap dog so its watever REAALLLY IF MEAN PPL WOULD QUIT RAISIN KILLERS AN TAME THE LIKES OF IT DOWN MAYBE THINGS MIGHT BE DIF BUT UNTILL THEN THEY GONNA HAVE KEEP AND HOLD A BAD NAME
  • christy.luu 2012/02/10 23:30:40
    christy.luu
    Pitbulls are just breeds. They look big, but not all are mean! Look at chihuahuas... Small and feisty. Lol. It's def about who raises them.
  • xELITExNIKOLAIx 2011/11/28 06:07:24
    xELITExNIKOLAIx
    Pitbulls are not mean or killers you shouldn't be blaming the pit bull breed you should be blaming the humans. Pit bulls were living a regular life until we had to keep them as pets and changed their life style. Our life style has effected the pit bulls life we give them the bad name. It's not the Pitbulls it's the person who raises them. Because i live with a dogo argentino
  • Dawn 2011/10/14 20:09:36 (edited)
    Dawn
    Pitbulls were NOT originally fighting dogs either. They were brought over to help with farming, bear/bull baiting, and companionship. Their strong sense of loyalty and high pain tolerance (which a good family dog has) is what made people want to fight them. The American Canine Temperament Testing Association says 82.5% of pitbulls pass the temperament test. Compared to 77% on average of the other 122. They rate the 4th highest out of the 122 breeds.Most people have no idea what a pitbull is anyways.

Some statistically more vicious dogs commonly mistaken with pitbulls are:

Bully Kutti:

A dog over 55 pounds IS NOT a pitbull. Also, pitbulls are not wrinkled in the face. The dogs that I posted above are not even terrier breeds!

THIS is a pitbull:

Also some fun facts on pitbull related deaths:

Every year pit bull terriers are responsible for the death of 3 people. 40 children a year drown in 5 gallon water pails, in your lifetime you are 16 times more likely to drown in a 5 gallon water pail then be killed by a pit bull.Pit bulls were known as the number 1 family dog in the 20th century, but the very same qualities that make this breed such a wonderful pet, are also valued by those who use them as fighting dogs, training them in brutal methods, some even going as far as to sew bot...

American bulldog Pictures, Images and Photos

Bully Kutti:

Bully Kutta

THIS is a pitbull:

pitbull

Every year pit bull terriers are responsible for the death of 3 people. 40 children a year drown in 5 gallon water pails, in your lifetime you are 16 times more likely to drown in a 5 gallon water pail then be killed by a pit bull.Pit bulls were known as the number 1 family dog in the 20th century, but the very same qualities that make this breed such a wonderful pet, are also valued by those who use them as fighting dogs, training them in brutal methods, some even going as far as to sew bottle caps under the dogs skin to ensure they're in constant pain, to make then more aggresive. 150 people a year are killed by falling coconuts, making you 60 times more likely to be killed by a palm tree then by a pit bull. According to the American Canine Temperament Testing Association, 82.5% of the American Pit Bull Terriers that took the temperament test passed, compared to a 77% passing rate for all breeds on average. In the test a dog is placed in a series of confrontational situations. The first sign of aggression or panic is a failure of the test. Pit Bulls have achieved the fourth highest passing rate of all 122 breeds tested. For every pit bull that kills, there are 10.5 million that don't.Most pit bulls are killed by they're owners because they REFUSE TO FIGHT in dogfights.
  • Tess36 2011/07/31 08:02:56
    Tess36
    +1
    There is no accurate study that proves pits attack or kill more than any other breed. You are helping to spread hatred of a wonderful breed. With all your talk of church and what an expert you are on digs, you should be absolutely ashamed of yourself.
  • Taiyah 2010/11/28 14:32:47
    Taiyah
    with time michael vicks pits were takin two were uthanized out of at least 20 one agressive and one badly injured beyond repair, one of the lasting became a therapy dog for old people and small children, all it takes is time every dog deserves a second chance even though its owners messed them up they all can change
  • brittany 2010/05/10 12:42:22
    brittany
    it is definitely who raises them. and you have to know that these breeds have A LOT of energy so if theyre cooped up all day and then trained to be rough. or even if they arent trained to be rough and their cooped up, they will get frustrated. and just like a small dog will chew your favorite shoes. they just let out their aggression differently. If you cant take your pit bull for long walks or runs and youre hardly never home... Please dont get a pit... Its not fair for the animal.
  • Norbi 2010/04/14 21:50:36 (edited)
    Norbi
    +1
    when a dog bites a person somebody just say it was a pit bull because they are known as bad dogs which is not true ... they are very tolerant to people if u train the dog this way if u train a dog to attack he will attack ... u can train any dog to attack so he is dangerous as any other dogs !!! once like 3 pit bulls run to me and i was affraid but they didnt do anything didnt even bark nothing ... so it is who raises them !!!
  • Dawn Norbi 2011/10/14 20:14:28
    Dawn
    +1
    You meant to put no?
  • Norbi Dawn 2012/05/30 16:18:29
    Norbi
    yes it was mistake
  • Dawn Norbi 2012/05/30 18:29:55
    Dawn
    lol ok :)
  • codye 2010/03/13 21:37:38
    codye
    +3
    I think it is absolutely ridiculous in every aspect that anyone should think they have a reason to ban pit bulls. Pit bulls lead in all these 'deaths' because they are such a strong animal, none but the strongest people can hold their own against one of these animals. Compare lab BITES to every other dog, no other dog as is high in this statistic. Further, I don't know abut yours, but my great grandma could push a lab off. If this doesn't convince you then how about this. How does anyone have a right to condemn a living being to death? Since African Americans lead the crime statistics in almost every category, should we put a black man to death because his parents are under 18? NO! Of course not! Should we just kill African Americans because they are dangerous? NOOOOO!!!! 150 people die a year on average from falling coconuts. Does this mean we should burn every tree down? WTF!! We as a society and race are taking it upon ourselves to just demolish a race whenever we feel like it?! The only thing that sets us apart from other animals is our compassion. We will be nothing but another statistic and animal if we continue this destructive course.
  • savannallamas 2010/03/11 02:17:20
    savannallamas
    +1
    pit bulls rock i have 1 my self
  • Norbi savanna... 2010/04/14 21:52:04
    Norbi
    +3
    yh they are the best
  • Servoe989 2010/03/06 02:45:29
  • steve wonder 2010/02/27 18:33:12
    steve wonder
    +2
    you should not ban dogs and i have a 1 year old pit and hes huge but he is pretty much a big baby and he loves people and kids
  • Brittney 2009/10/16 06:15:35 (edited)
    Brittney
    +1
    Natural born killers do not exist. Nothing is ever 100% genetics or 100% environment. Both nature (genetics) and nurture (environmental experiences) work together to produce an outcome. Once people realize this then maybe they would understand than banning a whole breed of a dog is stupid and inconsiderate. This is just as bad as racism. Disliking a whole race because statistically and stereotypically they are 'more aggressive' and 'have a higher crime rate'. People need to judge humans and even animals based on their INDIVIDUAL character...not their group stereotypes. I want to knock some sense into so many people.
  • jellybean 2009/10/07 16:39:44
    UNDECIDED. I need more information.
    jellybean
    no i think dog dont kill for nothing, but the breed can bring on some induce instinct that we bring on in the dog.
  • Pamela 2009/08/31 18:08:46 (edited)
    Pamela
    +1
    My jackie was a dog that was dumped in the counrty and was starving to death when we found him outside our door . He's the sweetest dog ever and wouldn't hurt anyone on purpose ! He's very excitable and wants to play and he's afraid of my Rat Terrier . door sweetest dog hurt purpose excitable play afraid rat terrier door sweetest dog hurt purpose excitable play afraid rat terrier
    I've been bitten by several breeds working for vets and working as a groomer , never been bitten by a Pit-Bull !
  • josh 2009/08/18 04:18:01
    josh
    +2
    NO!

its not fair to blame the dog for how there were raised or for there stupid owners choice

if you want to argue this with me email me juneboy_93@yahoo.com
  • seekthetruth 2009/07/31 21:21:11
    seekthetruth
    +3
    Tough question. I love dogs, rescue them and get myself in some messes trying to save them. But...I do not and will not ever own a pitt bull. No child should EVER be left unattended with one, no matter how sweet. Their disposition can change in a heartbeat. I'm no expert but I know they are a very old breed, bred to fight to the death for various reasons throughout their history. Their fighting instinct is very strong. Unfortunately a great many people get this breed to put on a chain and leave outside for the majority of time. A chained life is dangerous for any canine, their level of frustration intensifies daily. Then there are the backyard dog fights that people subject these dogs to for money. Some are used to fight and some even more unfortunate ones are used as bait dogs, often underfed and left with horrendous injuries, even abandoned to die. These dogs rely on instinct to survive, pleasing people isn't in the equation. It's not pretty but it is a very realistic part of the pitt bulldog scenario.
    I hope I don't offend any pittbull lovers, but in my very humble opinion these dogs are better left in the hands of people who understand their nature and instincts. The general public does not need to own them.
  • jellyfish seekthe... 2009/08/01 21:08:06 (edited)
    jellyfish
    removed
  • seekthe... jellyfish 2009/08/03 19:38:43 (edited)
    seekthetruth
    +2
    My comment = my opinion. Your arrogance is not necessary or welcomed. I respect the opinions of others.
    I am sure if I went to your pitbulllovers.com website I could read so many favorable items on pitt bulls. And I am just as sure I could debate the issue by pulling up a lot of conflicting info also. That makes it a moot point.
    Conversation over.
  • CampDav... seekthe... 2009/08/03 23:44:36
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    +1
    He is done here, as I had to finally block his arogance & ignorance from harrasing the guest at this poll. Sorry I did not do so soner.
  • Taiyah seekthe... 2010/11/28 14:24:30
    Taiyah
    +1
    i have had several which have done no harm all there livea its how it is trained they are as loyal as a golden retriever and strong, very strong which people use to there advantages. its the people who should be called names instead of a pitbull who is listening to his master when he attacks someone and the master says good boy so the dog thinks it is doing something good and does it because it pleases there owner.
  • Dawn seekthe... 2011/10/14 20:17:12 (edited)
    Dawn
    So are you saying people should only be allowed to have one if they can prove they are responsible enough? Because I totally agree with that.(also they weren't originally bred to fight)
  • xELITEx... seekthe... 2011/11/28 06:11:15
    xELITExNIKOLAIx
    +1
    Look if you think they should be banned then you are really stupid because u wouldn't be saying this if we hadn't messed with their life style it's us not them
  • karmadrome 2009/07/16 16:57:09
    karmadrome
    Several problems. First, most dog bites by small dogs are never reported and laughed off. Second, just because one claims they were bit by a pit, doesn't mean they actually were. Most misidentify the breed that attacked them. Labs have been mistaken for pits time and time again. Hell, someone asked if my RED BRINDLE GREYHOUND was a DOBERMAN! The two breeds aren't even remotely close in shape, size, or color. Finally, all a dog needs to bite is teeth. A lab can kill a human just as easily as a pit. Kind of like comparing 5 shots to the head from a .22 and a .45. Both are going to kill you.

Do some pits have serious issues that no amount of training can overcome? Yes. Do some labs, goldens, have serious issues that no amount of training can overcome? Absolutely. For example, Cocker Spaniels have aggression and biting issues from over-breeding. Do a little research, and you find that these dogs are prone to biting. Why are they not being banned? Dalmatians have a TON of mental problems from over breeding. I worked in rescue and not one Dalmatian that came though was adoptable. Watch any dog training show and you will find that these so-called "bully" breeds are severely underrepresented. What you do find are a lot of small and "family" dogs with owners who thought ...

""

Do some pits have serious issues that no amount of training can overcome? Yes. Do some labs, goldens, have serious issues that no amount of training can overcome? Absolutely. For example, Cocker Spaniels have aggression and biting issues from over-breeding. Do a little research, and you find that these dogs are prone to biting. Why are they not being banned? Dalmatians have a TON of mental problems from over breeding. I worked in rescue and not one Dalmatian that came though was adoptable. Watch any dog training show and you will find that these so-called "bully" breeds are severely underrepresented. What you do find are a lot of small and "family" dogs with owners who thought their lab would come perfect, no training required. ALL DOGS NEED TRAINING.

Check out this photo story at Sports Illustrated of 10 of Vicks FIGHTING dogs. All in happy homes, some with children. These dogs were definitely bred to be dog aggressive. But these dogs are NOT bred to be people aggressive on the whole. Even fighting dogs need to be handled. Also keep in mind that before the hysteria, they were known as the "nanny dog," back in the era of Little Rascals. Yes, Petey was in fact a pittie.

http://vault.sportsillustrate...
  • DogGirl karmadrome 2009/11/23 23:29:52
    DogGirl
    +2
    I own a dalmation, a rottweiler, AND a pitbull! All were adopted, the pitbull was starved and left for dead on a walking trail, the dalmation was bought for children when the movie came out then locked in a closet and neglected, and the rottweiler was found in a drainage ditch so dirty that the rescue group named her DD (Dirty Dawg)....they all get along together and with all other dogs, in 15 years of owning the dalmation 9 with the rottie and 1 with the pit never a fight among them or any aggression when walked or at the dog park...its all about socialization and the respect they give you as a packleader...mine never question what i tell them to do. Do i think any of them could have been dangerous dogs in the wrong hands? ABSOLUTELY!
  • Robby 2009/07/10 19:14:13
    Robby
    +2
    Yes! I have a friend of mine who's recovering right now because his face was chewed by 1 & he was really cute too. I have no idea how this will affect him physically & mentally. I just want him to get better, so we can hang out again.
  • jellyfish Robby 2009/07/16 16:04:10 (edited)
    jellyfish
    +1
    removed
  • CampDav... jellyfish 2009/07/16 20:51:26
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    +1
    Hey, lets be nice here. I have respected both points of view at MY poll, and know that BOTH sides believe they have validity to their answers. You only taint your support of what others call a "bully breed" by being a bully yourself.
  • jellyfish CampDav... 2009/07/20 14:53:51 (edited)
    jellyfish
    +2
    removed

2014/08/27 13:20:02