Are Movie Theater Snacks Too Expensive?

Ever wonder why a Coke costs $6 at the movie theater, but $1 at your local convenience store? So did Joshua Thompson, which is why he has filed a class-action lawsuit against his local AMC theater, The Detroit Free Press reports.

"He got tired of being taken advantage of," Thompson's lawyer, Kerry Morgan, told the paper of the Michigan 20-something. "It's hard to justify prices that are three- and four-times higher than anywhere else." In the lawsuit, Thompson says he used to take his own soda and candy to the AMC in Livonia, until the theater posted a sign forbidding outside food. (Bringing your own snacks to the movies is generally forbidden, which doesn't really seem fair.)

On Dec. 26, he paid $8 for a Coke and a package of Goobers -- nearly three times the $2.73 he paid for the same items elsewhere. The suit accuses AMC theaters of violating the Michigan Consumer Protection Act by charging grossly excessive prices for snacks, and seeks refunds for customers who were overcharged. Do you think Thompson has a good case? Or do theaters have to find a way to make their money -- like serving up pricey popcorn -- so they don't go out of business?

• RODNEY 2012/06/26 14:36:33
    Yes!
    RODNEY
    AMC POPCORN IS 5 STAR I WILL PAY IT. WISH THEY WOULD GO DOWN THOUGH.
  • skillciaX RODNEY 2013/10/26 02:40:38
    skillciaX
    +2
    Not sure why you think GMO popcorn is 5 star....
  • Chieki 2012/03/28 21:08:44
    Yes!
    Chieki
  • psiEnergos 2012/03/16 18:57:05
    Yes!
    psiEnergos
    Movie theaters have shot themselves in the foot. They make a lot of their money at the concessions, but have priced it so high that now many are sneaking in their own from the grocery store (missus worked the candy isles for a while and saw a HUGE upswing in people buying the 'movie candies' and many said it was just for that). I understand the movie prices had to go up to pay stars their 50M price tags and 3D tech and all but there HAD to be another way to go than to crank up sodas to 3000% of what they cost. (I made up the number, but I'm just making a point)
  • firebreathing cockapoo 2012/03/15 21:57:14
    Yes!
    firebreathing cockapoo
    they'd make more if it was cheaper more people will be willing to buy there instead of sneaking stuff in
  • Ole SGT Joe 2012/03/15 15:25:29
    Yes!
    Ole SGT Joe
    Sneak in a bottle of wine, some cheese and crackers, and lets watch the movie
  • mib smith 2012/03/15 14:49:04
    Yes!
    mib smith
    always take my own!
  • hellokitty 2012/03/15 12:33:32
    Yes!
    hellokitty
    I just take in my own goodie bags with treats and drinks, and let the people who want to waist there money on items that cost double the amount buy them. Sad thing is the more that people do this the higher the cost of a movie is to see.
  • skillciaX hellokitty 2013/10/26 02:45:19
    skillciaX
    +3
    Not really, concessions are a choice... many people go out to eat before or after a movie so that they don't have to eat concessions. bringing your own food shouldn't drive up the cost of concessions.... AMC today had a small pop priced at $5.... You can get a bottled pepsi for about $1.65 or go to McDonalds and pay a $1 for a large pop.... They have a chicken tender meal w/fries & a drink for $18.75.... I can get the same meal at McDonalds for less than half of that price.... They may have luxury seating and a bar, but there food portions are not worth that kind of money. I might as well go get me a steak meal if I want to pay almost $20 for one person to eat...
  • MICHALIA 2012/03/14 15:35:01
    Yes!
    MICHALIA
    THEY R TOO THIEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
  • Michael Wildermuth 2012/03/13 18:58:33
    No, that's how they make their money
    Michael Wildermuth
    if the person wins this lawsuit who all is with me in filing a lawsuit against oil companies for gas being too high? and hospitals for their bills being so high, and phone companies for their monthly bills being high also. those things are even necessities that they over charge (besides the phone). if he didnt want to pay $8 for food no one made him. no one died for not eating for 2 hours (don't quote me on that :P). no one even made him go to the theater. i only go on Mondays and with work that's like once every three months or longer, $5 ticket and free SMALL popcorn.
  • Tori 2012/03/12 23:13:34
    Yes!
    Tori
    I'm sorry but I don't want to pay more for my snacks then the acctual movie itself. Since a movie ticket already costs like $9 (which I believe is way to high) why do they need to raise their prices? I think they are getting enought profit with the movie tickets being sold alone. Just sneak food in the theater inside your purse. That's what I do. If your a guy I don't know what to tell you. What are they going to do next? Start checking bags before you walk into the movies? They are taking this way to seriously.
  • chas 2012/03/12 01:34:18
    Yes!
    chas
    +1
    I do my drinking before I arrive to view a movie. I keep "hard-candy" in pocket, for relief, if needed. sarsparilla hard candy
  • Dave 007 2012/03/11 11:49:43
    Yes!
    Dave 007
    +2
    Tickets and snacks cost way too much. People bother me checking their phones all the time during the movie. I'll wait for the DVD, save a ton of money, have the comfort of home and pause the flick when I go to the john. Thank You.
  • redneck 2012/03/11 03:59:45
    Yes!
    redneck
    +3
    That's why I wait till the movie comes out in dvd,wath it home much cheaper.
  • Sapphire101 2012/03/11 00:36:47
    Yes!
    Sapphire101
    +3
    YES! It is, of course too expensive. It never really came to me "hiding food in your pocket" I just simply pay for the ticket and walk into the cinema, with my food!
    If they want lots of people to buy more from them, my advice is consider reducing the prices a little.
    We shouldn't have to pay this much to go in the movies. The admission ticket is already really expensive, so why should we pay even more money?
  • Sapphir... Sapphir... 2012/03/16 06:23:50
    Sapphire101
    Or I just eat before and it'll fill me up
  • MissGates 2012/03/10 23:09:36 (edited)
    No, that's how they make their money
    MissGates
    +2
    Ehhhhhhhhhh I meant to say YES.

They are way too expensive! So I just buy whatever I want before i go to the theater and hide everything in my purse :)
    But i rarely go to the movies, because even the ticket is expensive.. I'd rather watch a movie at home; less expensive, and more comfy :)
  • katywon 2012/03/10 20:29:57
    Yes!
    katywon
    +2
    With the price you pay for admission to movies these days the prices are all too high. TV has killed the movie business for the average viewer.
  • CodeBlonde 2012/03/10 18:27:15
    Yes!
    CodeBlonde
    +3
    WAY too expensive, but It's a ridiculous reason for a lawsuit. Just don't buy it.
  • Muver CodeBlonde 2012/03/11 00:44:07
    Muver
    +1
    Somebody has to keep those torte lawyers busy, that is why everything costs so much, to many lawsuits over stupid stuff, the law allows it, and the courts allow it....I has to stop...
    The guy with this suit, knew exactly what he was doing when he went there....total BS to me....
    yes, it is all to costly, but if you don't want to do it, stay home. or don't buy the extras, or stick it in your pocket....
  • Surya 2012/03/10 17:56:16
    Yes!
    Surya
    +2
    Popcorn has a 1000% mark up in movie theaters
  • JustMe 2012/03/10 15:12:54
    No, that's how they make their money
    JustMe
    +1
    It does seem excessive, but the refreshments are how they make the money, the ticket prices are basically set and they don't get much from those. This lawsuit is ignorant and is just going to hurt many, and it is just out of greed on his part. No one is forcing him to buy the snacks, and if he doesn't like the price he should just not go. This is not like gasoline or something that is essential, so its a matter of just don't buy em if you don't like it. I am not crazy about the prices, but I do enjoy the popcorn when I go, and the theater here has an offer that is good, they sell buckets that you buy for $15 and they are good for the rest of the year, it only costs $3.50 per fill after

https://img-s.foursquare.com/...
  • MissNovemberTuesday 2012/03/10 11:30:50
    Yes!
    MissNovemberTuesday
    I rarely get popcorn, unless I can get it free, which I sometimes do with my theatre card. They offer a small free on Wednesdays sometimes as incentive to avoid the weekend rush. Also, I occasionally will pay for a large soda. It comes with a free refill and with my card, I get it for the price of a medium, anyway. True it still costs too much, BUT with the new Coke stations, I can get flavours not available in the stores. Like Lime Coke that isn't only diet. Or Peach Sprite. Or black cherry vanilla coke. Then it is worth a little more. Snacks, we bring in on our own and we ALWAYS eat first so we are not hungry when we get there.
  • BabyBear 2012/03/10 05:36:39
    No, that's how they make their money
    BabyBear
    +1
    If you can't afford it.... don't buy it! That simple solution would have saved countless people a lot of heartache when the economy collapsed. Besides, if $6 is too much for a soda for you to handle, wait a couple of months, rent the movie and enjoy it with your $1 soda.
  • katywon BabyBear 2012/03/10 20:35:29
    katywon
    +1
    You are right. Unless our super-inflation prices on everything goes down. People have to eat and pay their rent first. Even food prices in the regular grocery stores are constantly climbing. This in an era with thousands unemployed and millions on welfare. homeless people waiting to eat
  • JAKACE 2012/03/10 05:15:48
    Yes!
    JAKACE
    +1
    i think u know the answer to that
  • thepastord 2012/03/10 01:33:44
    Yes!
    thepastord
    +1
    I haven't been to a theater in about 10 years. It is just more comfortable to watch movies at home. The snack prices are very annoying, but I'm not a snacker, so it has never really had a impact on me.

I also have never really thought about sneaking "Snacks" in, since I'm not a snacker................ I don't think it is something I would personally do, I tend to be a bit of a rule ridged person........ lol However, the prices are so outrageous, I certainly wouldn't glare at another person/family IF they chose to bring in their own supply... imho
  • Dan T. 2012/03/10 00:06:54
    Yes!
    Dan T.
    +2
    They have been doing it for years and years, good that someone finally stood up even though it may not come out it his favor.
  • norm 2012/03/09 23:51:51
    Yes!
    norm
    +2
    It would seem like a simple study. Raise the ticket price 50 cents and lower the price of the treats. Not everybody buys popcorn etc. now. Everybody buys a ticket. Lower prices would sell more food items. This sounds like an economic "no brainer" to me. Not all theaters rip you off. Grrrrr. Wait for the video until popcorn comes down.
  • Labyrinth lover ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ 2012/03/09 22:56:11
    Yes!
    Labyrinth lover ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
    +1
    Just take some snacks in ur purse!
  • lucky 2012/03/09 22:13:27
    Yes!
    lucky
    +1
    If they allowed you to take in your own snacks then Id say no, but movie theaters have little competition so they dont really have anything that forces them to lower prices to be competitive, as for them going out of business, those prices are a big part of whats causing it.
  • kelly 2012/03/09 19:07:54
    No, that's how they make their money
    kelly
    +2
    Im not happy about it but that's how they stay in business. I'll pay the outrageous five bucks for their sake
  • Amanda 2012/03/09 18:55:12
    Yes!
    Amanda
    +2
    WAAAY to expensive!
  • Lanikai 2012/03/09 18:51:32
    Yes!
    +1
    I carry in a bag of cut up dried mangos and pecans. As well as a couple of whatever snack the daughter wants. We buy a drink , that is it. i WISH more movie theaters had coffee service. The one in town that does stays crammed, the other, newer one-no coffee, not as many patrons.

Get a clue movie houses-we want better cheaper popcorn and COFFEE.
  • Steve Johnson 2012/03/09 17:37:49
    No, that's how they make their money
    Steve Johnson
    +2
    Better that they raise the food prices than the ticket prices.

You can eat before or after taking in a flick if you have a problem with the price of munchies. Going without food for two hours isn't a big deal.
  • Damesha Powell 2012/03/09 16:53:57
    Yes!
    Damesha Powell
    +1
    Movie prices are ridiculous!! A soda, popcorn and candy bar should cost as much as your movie ticket. The tickets are already like $11 and as much as people go to the movies they make damn good money
  • Jenna ☮♡ッ 2012/03/09 16:51:32
    Yes!
    Jenna ☮♡ッ
    +2
    Ridiculously overpriced. That's why I sneak stuff in. :P
  • Laura Teague 2012/03/09 16:44:05
    Yes!
    Laura Teague
    +2
    That's why I never go to the movies. I buy DVD's from car boot sales - a lot cheaper.
  • RoryCanadia 2012/03/09 15:15:29
    Yes!
    RoryCanadia
    +2
    Everything at a movie theater is too expensive, including the movies. I went to see a matinee the other day.....$14. I turned around and walked out. You know what, back when you could see an afternoon show for $8 I would agree that expensive snacks were how the theater made money....but when they're obviously financially raping you as soon as you walk in the door I'm sure their doing alright without selling snacks for a pound of gold.

2014/07/31 03:37:38