Are Motorcycles Safe?

ThePersonBehindTheDesk 2008/07/21 22:39:59
Yes motorcycles are safe.
No motorcycles aren't safe.
I have no idea if motorcycles are safe but I think that...
Here's the deal, my best friend wants to get a motorcycle, specifically a 2008 Suzuki SV 650 SF with ABS. His parents don't want him to get one because of the safety issue. Generally speaking, do you think motorcycles are safe?

• Mike Martin 2013/06/17 04:30:10
    No motorcycles aren't safe.
    Mike Martin
    Most motorcycle crashes aren't the motorcyclist's fault.
    In most cases the driver is at fault.
    That's pretty cold comfort when you're dead.
  • Sally Johnson 2012/07/26 18:43:03
  • J 2010/04/04 07:24:23
    No motorcycles aren't safe.
    J
    +3
    They are safe as long as they stay in the garage. My husband has been riding for 40 years, has won numerous trophies, can do stunts, wears safety gear and rides defensively. He is well above average both in intelligence and safety. He does not drink or do drugs. However, some idiot at the track tried to pass him on the inside and crashed his bike all over the road in front of him. There was no time to react so he went down and went unconscious. He broke/displaced 9 ribs, had a collapsed/punctured lung and severe displaced shoulder. Luckily, he was wearing a full leather riding suit, gloves, boots, helmet, etc...and had slowed down for the turn since he was just warming up. If this would have occurred on the highway with a car (instead of a bike) he probably would be dead. It has been 5 months since the accident and he still is not fully recovered. He is on medical marijuana because the pain medications and physical therapy are not relieving the ongoing pain. I cannot describe how awful the ER experience was or the months that followed- and this was NOT even a 'serious' motorcycle injury. In addition, I know several people who know at least one person who died in a motorcycle accident, and I really don't even know that many people. I heard that 80% of crashes are N...
    They are safe as long as they stay in the garage. My husband has been riding for 40 years, has won numerous trophies, can do stunts, wears safety gear and rides defensively. He is well above average both in intelligence and safety. He does not drink or do drugs. However, some idiot at the track tried to pass him on the inside and crashed his bike all over the road in front of him. There was no time to react so he went down and went unconscious. He broke/displaced 9 ribs, had a collapsed/punctured lung and severe displaced shoulder. Luckily, he was wearing a full leather riding suit, gloves, boots, helmet, etc...and had slowed down for the turn since he was just warming up. If this would have occurred on the highway with a car (instead of a bike) he probably would be dead. It has been 5 months since the accident and he still is not fully recovered. He is on medical marijuana because the pain medications and physical therapy are not relieving the ongoing pain. I cannot describe how awful the ER experience was or the months that followed- and this was NOT even a 'serious' motorcycle injury. In addition, I know several people who know at least one person who died in a motorcycle accident, and I really don't even know that many people. I heard that 80% of crashes are NOT the motorcyclists fault so how can you be confident that some idiot is not going to take you out? You can't be on full alert 100% of the time, at some point you are going to relax and feel safe. That's when it will happen. I really don't understand why people put themselves in dangerous situations like this. If you're thinking about getting a motorcycle, think again. You may not be as lucky as my husband. I would recommend visiting the ER trauma center and ask to see some motorcycle injured patients. Ask yourself if it's worth the risk. I used to LOVE smoking cigarettes, but I gave them up because I really like having healthy lungs and cancer is not the way I want to go. Perhaps if they had freeways just for motorcyclists it would be a little safer...
  • bikergirl 2009/08/07 14:50:49
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    bikergirl
    +3
    THEY ARE SAFE!!! LOOK OUT FOR MOTORCYCLES, SAVE A LIFE!!!! (IT'S THE DRIVERS THAT MAKE MOTORCYCLES SEEM BAD) safe motorcycles save life drivers motorcycles
  • claptonluvr 2009/07/29 00:52:00
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    claptonluvr
    It's drivers who are unsafe. If you know how to handle your bike and you are confident it is very safe.
  • Ernie 2009/06/26 22:12:17
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    Ernie
    +1
    As long as people in cars pay attention to the road.
  • ........... 2008/11/07 00:13:20
    No motorcycles aren't safe.
    ...........
    No but they are a hell of a lot of fun. Do all you can to limit your risk and hope for the best.
  • kevracer 2008/11/06 21:17:56
    kevracer
    what is the definition of "safe?" There are no completely safe vehicles. The risk on motorcycles is related to rider experience- less experience equals more danger.

650 CC is too big to start out with, but the ABS is a good feature
  • burnz777 2008/08/13 20:20:32
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    burnz777
    +1
    but what isnt safe nowadays theres a bad side to everything, i think phones cause cancer now along with everyting else its all about choosin your poisin
  • gray1wolf 2008/07/30 20:36:22
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    gray1wolf
    +1
    I've rid'en alot of motorcycles you have to have respect for them
  • SoDa76 2008/07/27 05:19:44
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    SoDa76
    +1
    If you know how to ride them and love the thrill of being on two wheels.
  • Rose(The Threat Is Real) 2008/07/25 02:35:17
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    Rose(The Threat Is Real)
    just wear a helmet and control ur speed
  • runningintriangles 2008/07/25 02:00:57
    No motorcycles aren't safe.
    runningintriangles
    They're not safe... but that element of danger is quite alluring ;P
  • Caitlyn 2008/07/25 01:11:17
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    Caitlyn
    If you know how to ride one, a motorcycle has a lot more to it than a dirt bike.
  • concerned 2008/07/24 01:28:14
    concerned
    they are as safe as the people behind the wheele of them
  • Cacheman 2008/07/23 18:34:53
    No motorcycles aren't safe.
    Cacheman
    +1
    even if you are in the right

your dead
  • babyboo 2008/07/23 15:14:25
    No motorcycles aren't safe.
    babyboo
    +1
    they may tip if someone chooses to stand up and do a wheeley
  • ~The Tickler~ 2008/07/23 14:04:10
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    ~The Tickler~
    +1
    If you know how to draive it
  • Cathy *In God we trust* 2008/07/23 03:34:04
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    Cathy *In God we trust*
    Motorcycles are only as safe as the person on them,
    just as a car is only as safe as the person in it. If they
    make dumb choices and ride reckless then yes they
    can be unsafe, but if you watch your rode and ride as
    a responsible rider then they can be very safe and
    actually be very fun. I love mine.
  • Odd Job 2008/07/23 00:31:44
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    Odd Job
    +2
    If the rider uses common sense, defensive riding techniques, obeys the law and not ride like an idiot.....motorcycles are safe. The only non-rider issues are the unattentive cage drivers, especially those who use their cell phones while driving and old folks who should'nt be driving when their judgement, eyesight and skills are imparied!

As an avid rider who rides everyday....I'm sorry to add...more often than not, it's the rider who is the primary cause for the accident...a lot of riders ride over their skills, to fast for conditions present, failing to anticipate and too much in a hurry.
  • hunter 44 Odd Job 2008/07/23 13:03:01
    hunter 44
    Nationaly, 70% of all motorcycle crashes are caused by the person on the motorcyle.
  • alw_ays 2008/07/22 23:34:44
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    alw_ays
    +1
    They're remarkably safe, it's the rider and the traffic that are dangerous to a motorcyclist. I recommend sobriety, and choosing when to travel. Otherwise, it's the way to go!
  • Mario 2008/07/22 23:31:12
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    Mario
    If you can ride it safely it is safe motorcycles safe ride safely safe
  • Sumo- Living for the new year! 2008/07/22 22:42:27
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    Sumo- Living for the new year!
    Yes, only as good as the person behind the handle bars.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2008/07/22 22:11:48
  • hunter 44 2008/07/22 22:02:50
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    hunter 44
    +1
    It's the idiots that drive them recklessly.
  • lilacs 2008/07/22 21:41:10
  • Graphique Design 2008/07/22 21:40:27
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    Graphique Design
    +2
    Yes, they are safe. It is the driver that may not be safe or other drivers around that aren't safe. Wear a helmet too and don't do tricks. I have seen too many accidents like this. Just be smart on them. safe driver safe drivers safe wear helmet tricks accidents smart
  • PivotAL6 2008/07/22 20:39:55
    PivotAL6
    +1
    You might end up like this. motorcycles safe
  • ThePers... PivotAL6 2008/07/22 20:43:53
    ThePersonBehindTheDesk
    from outter space?
  • PivotAL6 ThePers... 2008/07/22 20:44:53
    PivotAL6
    I meant Deformed.
  • ThePers... PivotAL6 2008/07/22 20:45:49
    ThePersonBehindTheDesk
    +1
    it happens. lol
  • Suicidal Angel 2008/07/22 20:37:29
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    Suicidal Angel
    +2
    it actually depends on the person who is riding the motorcycle and if he is good at riding them.
  • Ace~Mr.Giantess~ 2008/07/22 20:16:53 (edited)
    No motorcycles aren't safe.
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    +1
    I hear alot about drivers not being able to see them, that's not safe at all.
  • Cathy *... Ace~Mr.... 2008/07/23 03:37:56
    Cathy *In God we trust*
    +1
    In my motorcycle safety course they recommend you
    ride like your a ghost. You have to ride like no one sees
    you at all and figure out what the other motorist's next
    moves are before they actually do them.
  • divingpilot 2008/07/22 20:07:05
    divingpilot
    +2
    sure the rider is more exposed and vulnerable...the safety of the bike is dependant on the rider...usually, the rider is the safest person on the road (granted they are not acting like idiots on the bike) and they have to be very weary of everyone else because it seems as though a great deal of us feel invincible in a car. There is, of course, the saying in regards to those who ride bikes: "There are those who have gone down, and those who will."
  • TheNightFly 2008/07/22 19:58:24
    No motorcycles aren't safe.
    TheNightFly
    Of course motorcycles aren't safe. They're fast, fuel efficient, and fun to ride but, if you have an accident, you're nearly gaurenteed to suffer serious injury or death.

Keep in mind though that "safty" is a purely statistical concept based on similar but unrelated events collectively refered to as "risk". If you're a safe motorcycle driver, you may never even see an accident. If you're a stunt driver, an accident will probably be the last thing you ever see.
  • jonasbrotherlover101 2008/07/22 19:53:15
  • Kebby 2008/07/22 19:50:22
    Yes motorcycles are safe.
    Kebby
    I think it depends on the bike and the driver. The one you posted les safe I prefer motorcycles safe depends bike driver posted les safe
  • Ray 2008/07/22 19:49:05
    Ray
    They are high risk vehicles that require extreme caution on the part of all drivers that are driving near.

2014/04/17 21:50:31