Are Men Unable to Say 'I'm Sorry'?

Related Topics: Movie, House, SodaHead
Love means never having to say you're sorry. Or does it? In our book, that corny "Love Story" quote is one of the worst movie lines ever (even worse than "You had me at hello.") And the most untrue.

In fact, love DOES mean having to say you're sorry once in a while. In our house, nothing heals a little tiff with the spouse like those two little words.

But why do men seem to have such a hard time saying such a simple phrase?

According to a new study, men don't really have a harder time saying they're sorry than women do. They're just less likely to think they did something wrong, USA Today reports.

When they do believe they've done something wrong, men are just as likely to apologize.

Women, on the other hand, apologize more often, because they're more likely to think they did something wrong whether they did or they didn't.

Perhaps everyone should be a little more willing to apologize -- is it really that big of a deal?

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/sex-relationships...

• Ash14 2010/09/30 01:17:53
    No, men apologize enough
    Ash14
    +4
    I'm very willing to say I'm sorry to the women I love, even when I've done nothing wrong. For some reason I just hate her being mad at me. It makes me fell horrible. I just love her with all my heart and soul.

• JCD aka "biz" 2010/10/01 19:47:54
    JCD aka "biz"
    Not me.
  • Lily Blooms Eternal 2010/09/30 22:07:22
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    Love means never having to say you're sorry? I guess it worked for the Love Story duo because one of them died before they had a chance to find out what a spectacularly awful relationship policy that is. Seriously, if she hadn't died so early of natural causes, he'd have died from a blow to the head with a cast-iron skillet eventually. LOL.

Actually, the legitimacy of that line depends on how you interpret it. If, as I assume is the case with the movie, the original intent of the words is that being in love means that you don't ever have to apologize for your screw-ups, then clearly, that's idiotic. I mean, if I were love I would sue for character assassination, because that's saying love is an excuse to say or do whatever pops into your head with impunity.

If "love means never having to say your sorry" is to have any value at all as a motto, it will be by interpreting it this way - Love means making dang sure you don't ever do anything to the one you love that you will have to be sorry for later. Impossible? Maybe, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't shoot for it just the same. We'd all be better off if that was our goal.

As to the original question, I would have to say that overall, it is almost certainly true that men say "sorry" less than women do. In my experi...

As to the original question, I would have to say that overall, it is almost certainly true that men say "sorry" less than women do. In my experience a man will first try to present you with an argument for why you shouldn't be upset. Most of the time, this is not necessarily to save his own skin, but is just his way of trying to fix the situation and stop you from being upset. Lots of times they are clueless about the unarticulated message you picked up from whatever they did until you explain it. Sometimes it can be like pulling teeth to get an apology, but it doesn't mean they don't feel bad.
  • Little Dorrit 2010/09/30 21:21:03
    No, men apologize enough
    Little Dorrit
    I don't think you can stereotype it like that.
    Not ALL men never apologize. I know plenty who do
  • Char. Limit 2010/09/30 21:18:04
    No, men apologize enough
    Char. Limit
    I say I'm sorry once every five minutes. Usually when it's a woman whom I'm scared I offended in some way, because I KNOW she'd take me to the court if I didn't, and I KNOW the court would rule in favor of her biased arse.
  • jeffy 2010/09/30 20:53:31
    Yes, men hate to apologize
    jeffy
    actually I'll take that back!
  • FanOreilly 2010/09/30 20:41:27
    No, men apologize enough
    FanOreilly
    +1
    I am sorry I am always right.

:)
  • JC 2010/09/30 20:41:20
    No, men apologize enough
    JC
    Oh wow. I don't like how its once you click on the answer, it automatically enters it, unlike before where you had to click submit. I meant to click None of the above... But yeah, everyone's different. If I do something that I think is wrong, I'll apologize without any problem... But that doesn't go with EVERY man...
  • Lily Bl... JC 2010/09/30 21:08:36
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    Are you sorry you chose the wrong answer and misled us all? LOL
  • JC Lily Bl... 2010/10/01 00:50:43
    JC
    Haha sure why not. In a not so sincere way LOL
  • roy 2010/09/30 20:40:35
    Yes, men hate to apologize
    roy
    i don't waste my time apologizing, instead i try to find a way to fix it (without saying "sorry").
  • Kigan 2010/09/30 20:20:50
    No, men apologize enough
    Kigan
    +1
    Seems like there is a new sexist item every time I come here. Now men (like me) don't apologize enough?

You want to put the lid back on Pandora's Box now. This discussion can turn ugly faster than you could ever imagine.
  • Char. L... Kigan 2010/09/30 21:19:03
    Char. Limit
    Thank you for saying what I was thinking.
  • Dylan 2010/09/30 20:06:05
    No, men apologize enough
    Dylan
    Apologizing shows the integrity to admit a wrong. Like I did when I apologized to my ex-wfire:

I AM SO SORRY I EVER MET YOUR ASS!!!!!!!! (JOKE FOLKS!)

On a serious note though, a man who can't man up and apologize just needs to grow a pair.
  • Gregourii 2010/09/30 19:52:54
    No, men apologize enough
    Gregourii
    I apologize, even for things that aren't my fault, something to do with a guilty conscience...
  • BlackSilver 2010/09/30 19:45:50 (edited)
    BlackSilver
    saying sorry would be admitting wrong-doing, which we all know men ever do...

p.s. I am just kidding, but I AM NOT SORRY ABOUT IT!
  • Only wishin for the truth 2010/09/30 19:13:54
    Only wishin for the truth
    Men normally hate to admit they are wrong n sum guys will actually apologize
  • FumbDuck 2010/09/30 19:10:26
    FumbDuck
    75 year old BOYS DO NOT apologize or admit when they are wrong. However 16 year old men realize they are not some kind of a God or something and admit when they are wrong and have no problem saying " I'm sorry " You could have included the phrase " I don't know " in this I have listened to more than one old little boy make up some crap just so he didn't have to admit he didn't know something and later on people were disappointed when they discovered the truth. Guess what the little boy still refused to admit he had made up what he said or apologize for lying. So Man or Woman it don't matter it takes a mature intelligent person to admit when they are wrong.
  • Pika 2010/09/30 18:59:03
    Pika
    I apologize for everything. Everyone else who does stuff to ME on the other hand...
  • beachbum 2010/09/30 18:58:52
    No, men apologize enough
    beachbum
    Quote you mentioned from that stupid movie never, ever made sense to me.........takes courage to say when you have been wrong.
  • LdyLeo 2010/09/30 18:49:23
    Yes, men hate to apologize
    LdyLeo
    It depends on what type of guy they are.
  • rustyshackelford 2010/09/30 18:46:47
  • jamiemac 2010/09/30 18:40:53
    jamiemac
    They can say it but usually don't mean it. Sad but true.
  • Boo 2010/09/30 18:34:53 (edited)
    Yes, men hate to apologize
    Boo
    Better than 90% of the time, men do not give apologies where appropriate. Good and bad men alike MUST be right, particularly when disagreeing with a woman! Even when they are proven wrong, don't be expecting an apology for all the hateful, insulting things they said before they were shown the light. For the most part, it isn't in them. If they do apologize, there is probably an ulterior motive behind it.
  • Char. L... Boo 2010/09/30 21:20:30
    Char. Limit
    You seem to have a fairly biased view of men. Daddy issues?
  • James 2010/09/30 18:32:36
    No, men apologize enough
    James
    +1
    Women like men who can admit when they're wrong. But women also like men who know how to grow a pair when the time comes.
  • None of the above
    υяsυℓα  vεηgεαηcε ►нαя∂ cσяε sтяαιgнт ε∂gε◄
    +1
    If they have lips, functioning vocal cords, and a grasp on the english language, then they are more than capable to say "I'm Sorry"
  • socokid 2010/09/30 18:12:29
    socokid
    What if she's the one that is always wrong?

*ahem*
  • Boo socokid 2010/09/30 18:36:41
    Boo
    +2
    Always?? I think you proved my point.
  • socokid Boo 2010/09/30 19:57:41
    socokid
    I was kidding. A joke. My wife and I are both hard headed, but we both admit fault just as much as the other.
  • Boo socokid 2010/09/30 21:18:18
    Boo
    Well, after a few days of the cold shoulder my husband will sometimes apologize, but usually with "I'm still right" qualifications. He doesn't respect differing opinions from anyone that I've noticed. Some things just aren't black & white. We all have different view points due to different experiences we may have had or different beliefs. It's always disappointing to me that people can't be respectful of those they disagree with. When the insults start flying, I can dish them out as well as most, but am always disappointed that it comes to that. I even wind up apoligizing to him when I really shouldn't just to make life more pleasant. I probably shouldn't do that!
  • socokid Boo 2010/09/30 22:03:52
    socokid
    +1
    I have found that leading by example can help, although hard to do. Agreed...
  • Emo~HappyFace:) 2010/09/30 17:58:05
    No, men apologize enough
    Emo~HappyFace:)
    the BOYZ i know apologize... there not really men though !!!
  • bob h. 2010/09/30 17:54:38
    No, men apologize enough
    bob h.
    False. I apologized once. In the winter of "52 as I recall.
  • wombat 2010/09/30 17:46:47
    Yes, men hate to apologize
    wombat
    +2
    Especially if its for made up nonsense from a power horny spouse.
  • ♀hUgS~&~KiSsEs~4~EvA♥♂ 2010/09/30 17:24:00
    ♀hUgS~&~KiSsEs~4~EvA♥♂
    they say sorry but sometimes dont mean it at all and i think all of us are guilty of that... :/ i know i am and i'll say that out loud!
  • Boo ♀hUgS~&... 2010/09/30 18:37:43
    Boo
    If you don't mean it, we'll know and it doesn't count!
  • ♀hUgS~&... Boo 2010/10/01 16:09:31
    ♀hUgS~&~KiSsEs~4~EvA♥♂
    i know that's the point.. there arnt a lot of people that mean it when they say they're sorry so like you said it doesnt count.
  • Boo ♀hUgS~&... 2010/10/01 16:17:37
    Boo
    Speak for yourself. Even if I don't believe I should have to apologize, I may out of sincere love for the other person and a desire not to damage the relationship. My husband would never offer an apology he didn't mean.
  • ♀hUgS~&... Boo 2010/10/13 17:36:04
    ♀hUgS~&~KiSsEs~4~EvA♥♂
    i am speaking for myself.. i do it all the time i wont deny it... :/
  • I'm better than you 2010/09/30 16:52:17
    No, men apologize enough
    I'm better than you
    Are you kidding me?! I apologize all the freakin' time even when she is wrong. She has some sort of Ninja logic that it seems like she is not wrong or something...

2014/08/30 09:34:58