Are Hypoallergenic Dogs Hypoallergenic?

Stupid question? Well, hold on there a second.

According to ScienceDaily the "American Journal of Rhinology and Allergy" published a report claiming that so-called hypoallergenic dogs, such as Chihuahuas and Poodles, don't actually do anything to stave off allergies.

"Based on previous allergy studies conducted here at Henry Ford, exposure to a dog early in life provides protection against dog allergy development. But the idea that you can buy a certain breed of dog and think it will cause less allergy problems for a person already dog-allergic is not borne out by our study."

We're curious to find out if they included hairless dogs in their study, though, because ScienceDaily didn't mention them.

Read More: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/11070...

• ELLIE 2011/07/08 07:32:46
    ELLIE
    +3
    It depends exactly what you're allergic to in a dog.It can be more than just fur or dander.

• Just me ♥ 2012/04/04 21:53:38
    Just me ♥
    I dont think you can get a certain breed that produces and loses less dander than another. Hypo means little or low. A few specks of dander might cause a hellracious allergy response in one person and only a minor reaction in another. You can take 2 poodles and one might make you have a bad reaction and the other not. That's b/c different dogs (not types of dogs) give off different amounts of allergens. It's not the hair that people are allergic to, it's the dander...aka dead skin.
  • Julia Jude-Brooks 2012/02/06 04:08:10
    Julia Jude-Brooks
    My friend has a poodle and I still sneeze like crazy around my friend and her house.
  • Dolly 2011/11/18 20:54:29
    Dolly
  • Bleeding Rose 2011/07/10 02:44:16
    Bleeding Rose
    i would think so ...
  • KoolGuyL 2011/07/09 17:32:53
    KoolGuyL
    I would hope so.
  • Josh Robinson R.P.2012' PWCM. 2011/07/08 17:07:46
    Josh Robinson  R.P.2012' PWCM.
    To qualify for being hypoallergenic it would have to be hypoallergenic making the answer yes... yes a hypoallergenic dog is hypoallergenic or it is not in fact hypoallergenic.... how any danderus dog/mammalian pet could ever be construed as hypoallergenic is absurd. maybe this one... dog hypoallergenic hypoallergenic danderus dogmammalian pet construed hypoallergenic absurd bigglesworth
  • Sabba 2011/07/08 16:51:29
    Sabba
    Of course I have never heard that Chihuahuas were hypoallergenic. I do know my grandson is allergic to dogs, and even if the dog is not present, he just has to go to someone's home that has dogs and his eyes swell up and get all red. Now he can come to my home, and I can take my poodles to their home to puppy sit and he has no reaction. That makes me think poodles are hypoallergenic.
  • Stan Kapusta 2011/07/08 16:24:05
    Stan Kapusta
    They don't leave pet dander.
  • Reach130 2011/07/08 15:11:58
    Reach130
    MAybe...
    I'm allergic, but I also have a phobia of dogs, so I'm not going to get one...
  • Bramblestarofsunclan 2011/07/08 14:44:45
    Bramblestarofsunclan
    we hav one and my mom's allergic but she's been doing fine and we've had it for like ten years
  • peacepurple16 2011/07/08 14:35:04
    peacepurple16
    +1
    i mean YES i clicked the wrong thing. bit YES thay r cuz my aunt is allergic to dogs but she got a poodle and she doesnt sneeeze that much anymore. clicked wrong thay cuz aunt allergic dogs poodle sneeeze
  • Lanikai 2011/07/08 12:57:50
    +1
    They still have saliva and dander. They are generally considered hypoallergenic because they get bathed more often and therefore, cause less reactions. No pet is truly hypoallergenic. BUT Chinese crested with very little hair and hariless cats are better then most other pets.
  • FluffyCupcakespanker~PWCM~JLA 2011/07/08 11:21:39
    FluffyCupcakespanker~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    My sister has a maltese and hes supposed to be hypo allergenic and I still break out when I pet him.
  • oceangrl FluffyC... 2011/07/08 15:14:01
    oceangrl
    +2
    awwww :(
  • Julia J... FluffyC... 2012/02/06 04:10:14
    Julia Jude-Brooks
    +1
    My friend has a poodle and I sneeze like crazy around her.
  • Mark 2011/07/08 09:29:16
    Mark
    +2
    I have yet to find a dog I am not allergic to, and that includes the so-called "hypoallergenic" kinds, including hairless kinds.
  • ELLIE 2011/07/08 07:32:46
    ELLIE
    +3
  • A 2011/07/08 07:11:46
    A
    +2
    I'm not sure. I just voted so I can ask, what kind of dog is that in the picture?
  • Lanikai A 2011/07/08 12:59:10
    +1
    looks like a shih tzu to me, but I am a cat person, so not real familiar with dogs. Well aside from rottweilers, dobermans, sheppards, and siberians.
  • marcie 2011/07/08 06:59:54
    marcie
    +3
    Suposedly those two breeds are supposed to be tolerant to people who have allergies, asthma that are triggerd partly by pet hair and dander . While these two breeds do not shed like the others and may have less dander, they still do affect those who are allergic to dogs though maybe not as badly.
  • cathy 2011/07/08 06:56:52
    cathy
    +2
    From what I can tell they are
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2011/07/08 06:52:22 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +2
    All mine are and there is a big difference. For one they don't have fur they have hair and they don't shed...I lose hair more than they do. They also don't have the dander and problems my other dogs that actually had fur had. I had a Sharpei that I would break out from just holding him but these dog are fine around all my friends that are allergic. Like the study shows...they even tested hairless dogs.....obviously it's a flawed study.
  • Lanikai Hula gi... 2011/07/08 13:00:19
    +1
    I agree. Are yours Bichons?

Did you know that a loarge part of the allergy is to the saliva not the dander?
  • Hula gi... Lanikai 2011/07/08 17:00:42
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    Yep...all 7 of them... :-)
  • Lanikai Hula gi... 2011/07/08 17:15:56
    +1
    Nice, I will recommend those to my youth pastor, he is looking for a low allergy dog.
  • Hula gi... Lanikai 2011/07/08 19:59:34
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    We just sold our puppies and the little boy came back (but keep the money) as the father didn't like him. Come to find out Lucky (they named him) is a lover and since birth always loved to be hugged and loved and would even stop play and run up and want a hug and then go and hug again. My other half always gave the dogs that closeness and so have I but this father just doesn't like dogs period and just didn't understand that Lucky just wanted to be loved by him and he didn't get it. He's been perfect since coming home. We were suppose to find him another home but he's such a beautiful boy and actually looks like the pride of a show dog as he sits so high and proud. He's very very smart and immediately does what he is told....or maybe not when he's told not to get into the boy where he knows a toy is hiding he wants. Now he's Lucky 7 and my precious baby boy. He's the one on my profile with the pink bear....it's OK he's fine with Pink. He spouts a new hair do now as he baby locks got too long.
  • Lanikai Hula gi... 2011/07/08 20:02:28
    +2
    Cute, I don't see pastor being that dog friendly, but his kids really want a dog.

Yours are all gorgeous.
  • Hula gi... Lanikai 2011/07/08 20:06:55
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    Sure because they are my kids....hee hee! Moms are always partial to their kids aren't they? They are all laying around my desk. One little girl has her head and arm wrapped around a big teddy bear, others with their head on the pillow they share, another in a cubby much smaller than their body but the lanky parts are hanging out...but hey he's done that since he was a pup, and dad is always right where I need to back up the chair and if I ever go I'll catch his tail.
  • Lanikai Hula gi... 2011/07/08 20:58:54
    +1
    They do all look content and well loved. Some dogs look miserable with their owners, your don't.

Daughter would love a dog, but we don't have time for one right now, with the 50 hour or more work weeks.
  • Daryl 2011/07/08 06:11:40
    Daryl
    +2
    I am not sure I know what hypoallergenic means.
  • ~emo~girl~ 2011/07/08 05:05:14
    ~emo~girl~
    +1
    it comes from their skin and every dog has skin
  • Wizard 2011/07/08 04:57:26
    Wizard
    +1
    No living thing can be made 100% hypo-allergic. But, it sounds good, and makes a good sell point. A dog that is gentle and does not shed is nice...but hypo-allergenic? I cannot say with 100% certainty that is so.
  • reasontolive 2011/07/08 04:01:28
    reasontolive
    +1
    People are generally allergic to the dander, the fur, or both. Hypoallergenic dogs don't have fur but hair and don't shed much more than humans. They also shed much less dander. Most people who are allergic to dogs can live with a hypoallergenic dogs. Those who are extremely allergic, such as those who can die from peanut exposure, have to stay away from dogs completely. I have friends who picked a hypoallergenic dog because both kids wanted dogs, but one was allergic. It has worked out beautifully.
  • Kasa 2011/07/08 03:44:22
    Kasa
    +1
    'hypoallergenic' dogs simply have human-like hair instead of fur. One isn't actually allergic to the fur, but the saliva and oils. It's considered 'hypoallergenic' since they have very very little shed, and the oils and saliva aren't held at the ends of the hair, where the human would have the most contact with them.

I've done research and am working on getting a major in biology then getting my veterinary degree.
  • Rachel 2011/07/08 03:41:32
    Rachel
    +1
    'No' is the most correct answer. Technically, there's no such thing as a truly hypoallergenic dog. Those breeds that are labeled as such still shed, still have dander, etc, and thus can still cause people to have allergies. However, they tend to shed less fur and dander, which is why people call them "hypoallergenic".

My friend's dog is one of those considered to be hypoallergenic and I know several people who have dog allergies - including my friend's boyfriend, whom she lives with - and they do splendidly with the dog.
  • Ηɑppƴ Ɲiɧiℓisʈ 2011/07/08 01:32:54
    Ηɑppƴ Ɲiɧiℓisʈ
    +1
    I believe so!
  • Anna 2011/07/08 00:48:09
    Anna
    +1
    Yeah. My sister and I grew up with pets, including a dog here and a dog there. She got allergies to cats, maybe Pomeranians, maybe Lake Erie and more. I would get colds from my Pomeranian I once had, cause he'd always lick my nose and maybe my teeth, eyes and more and was getting wider with age (No one could say why. He'd get skinnier with walks but didn't feel well or in the mood to do them much after the '1st'). Anyways, back to what we were talking about: We do fine with Chinese Crested Powderpuffs, poodles, schnauzers, Maltese, Boston Terriers and more
  • James 2011/07/08 00:30:02
    James
    +1
    What a crock!
  • hasher 2011/07/07 23:36:12
    hasher
    +2
    i read an article from a vet who said that has a lot to do with pet dander and all dogs have it some more than others.
  • Sinful ... hasher 2011/07/08 03:50:19
    Sinful Minded
    +1
    less pet dander = better for allergies (hypoallergenic) .... due to the fact that they produce less dander than the allergic reaction threshold...

2014/07/31 05:36:42