Are homosexuals born gay, or is it their choice?

Faith ~American Patriot~ 2008/04/28 06:23:37
Born This WAY!!
Chose To Be This Way
I have always thought that they were born this way, but in reading other polls I am seeing that many disagree. I was just curious to hear what people thought. PLEASE don't turn this into a "bash fest", that is not what this poll is for.

• Mollybdamned American Atheist 2008/04/28 06:28:40
    Born This WAY!!
    Mollybdamned American Atheist
    +78
    It is my unmitigated opinion that people are born with their sexual preference. I don't ever recall Choosing to be hetro and I seriously doubt anyone else can either.

• Sons of Zadok 2014/06/23 00:25:18
  • Sons of... Sons of... 2014/06/23 00:27:30
  • Ron Burgundy "Gentleman Lover" 2014/05/29 02:26:43
    Ron Burgundy "Gentleman Lover"
    +1
    nobody is born with a sexual preference. people also can't choose who they're attracted to,but they can choose whether they're going to act upon the desire or not.
    gay babies,yeah. ok.
  • DeejaySpaniel 2013/05/30 23:45:50
    Born This WAY!!
    DeejaySpaniel
    Well, I certainly didn't make a choice to be bisexual. I had my first attractions to women at 9 for god's sake. Though, I won't say that it was "genetic" or anything, because that implies that it can be passed on, and if that was the case, homosexuality wouldn't exist, because it wouldn't have been passed on.

I think it is a combination of environmental and hormonal factors that lead to someone's sexuality. If a girl is raised only around girls, with no contact with men, she will become a lesbian; it is our basic nature to love.

So, its not a choice, and its not genetic factor.
  • Kaye Ivy 2013/03/26 03:24:29
  • Faith ~... Kaye Ivy 2013/05/06 16:08:30
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    +2
    So, by your logic, you could choose tomorrow to be attracted to other women. You could choose to desire them and be aroused by them and to no longer be attracted to men?
  • LayLady 2013/03/14 08:26:33
    Born This WAY!!
    LayLady
    There are people who choose to be but they're not really, this is apart from the ones who really are born that way.
  • mupahj 2013/01/09 13:19:38
    Chose To Be This Way
    mupahj
    +1
    an indivudual is born straight. everyone. Sexuality is taught. You can be born a man and be taught to be woman. when i say taught, i dont mean going to class - there rae factors that contribute to that. The environment you were born in, etc
  • undertow9x mupahj 2013/01/31 03:36:40
    undertow9x
    Please show us your peer reviewed scientific study that proves what you claim.
  • Danny undertow9x 2013/05/06 14:44:43
    Danny
    Show us unbiased science that proves they are born that way. Biased science isn't science at all!!
  • mariana.fernandezdel 2012/12/14 20:05:15 (edited)
    mariana.fernandezdel
    +1
    Here is a question what about Psychopaths are they born psychopathic? There really is no answer why children from perfectly loving homes become psychopaths or even abused children. If psychopaths are born this way it's not their fault they feel no remorse for killing, it's their brain and genetics. There was an article about a neurologist who was a direct relative to a few psychopaths. He had his brain scanned and he had the typical psychopath brain, yet he had a family whom he loved and cared about deeply. He did not have any of the social emotional traits. Just a brain scan. Seems to me genes don't mean your born this way. Schizophrenics have a gene, but if twins are separated at birth one twin may have it another will not. So I'm not really sure, but I don't think anyone's gene's cause them to automatically be born a certain way.
  • Danny mariana... 2013/01/28 17:55:22
    Danny
    It's been some time since I last posted but I think you said it perfectly. I
    IMHO saying you has no choice is a complete cop out. That's like saying that being a bully is ok because he is born angry or that the Islamic terrorist had no choice because he is Muslim. Your comment is Streight up correct!!
  • Faith ~... Danny 2013/01/28 18:36:07
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    So they you, tomorrow, could choose to be attracted to men. You could choose to desire another man sexually and emotionally.
  • Danny Faith ~... 2013/05/06 15:00:11
    Danny
    +1
    Will you ever have an argument other than "then why don't you try it!! I'm a very committed Husband and active Christian. I'm committed to living my faith and the truth of the scriptures in my life. Im not perfect but i choose to follow Christ with my best effort each day. I have chosen not to live in Denial of the truth. Saying the Bible never used the word Homosexual will never be a way to deny what it says!! The scientific word wasnt created yet. The very clear disciption of what it is is there. You can't explain it away no matter what lies you choose to tell yourself and others!!
  • Faith ~... Danny 2013/05/06 16:10:30
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Lmao, why don't you answer the question. It is a FACT that there is no word in the Bible that translates to homosexual or homosexuality. Disprove that, please, I'd love to see you try.
  • mariana... Danny 2013/05/26 04:37:08
    mariana.fernandezdel
    Yes that's exactly my point. It is a total cop out to say born this way. I think genetics and environment play a factor, and probably society weaker males who don't fit in might believe that they are gay, because of masculinity issues etc. I know someone who was like that. The counselor ( gay) in HS told him he was most likely notfitting in, because he was gay. he only recently worked through issues, and realize he had been mistaken, and misled.
  • DeejayS... mariana... 2013/05/30 23:49:14
    DeejaySpaniel
    The thing with genes is that they can be dormant. It can take environmental factors (such as nutrition, drugs, anxiety, other illnesses) to trigger them to become active.

That said, I don't believe that homosexuality is a genetic thing. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been passed on to successive generations. Still, I don't believe it is a choice.
  • ObayDay 2012/11/14 00:01:13 (edited)
    Chose To Be This Way
    ObayDay
    +3
    So then, if people were born gay, what the hell is the purpose for women? Why isn't there just men on earth? The fact that men can't reproduce with other men should be enough. There is a purpose for the woman, and that is to reproduce with man. If "that's just the way it is" then you must be born with the fact that your sexual purpose is to rather have failed reproduction with men and slowly end the human race. Just saying, no point of females being here if you could just be "born gay"
  • DeejayS... ObayDay 2013/05/30 23:50:07
    DeejaySpaniel
    People are born with MS, AIDS, and brown hair. Its called VARIATION.
  • beth hayes 2012/11/08 23:09:55
    Chose To Be This Way
    beth hayes
    +3
    I do not see or understand how God would allow someone to born with a"gay" gene when it is against his standards. He gives us choices in all areas of our lives. It is known that people who become gay either do not have a good relationship with the same sex parent, or they have been molested in some form or another. They were mis guided as children and did not have a strong support system to help them through the trauma.
  • DeejayS... beth hayes 2013/05/30 23:50:50
    DeejaySpaniel
    The only person I was ever molested by was a boy. That was when I was 14. I was attracted to women at 9. Explain that.
  • Mason Lancaster 2012/10/24 22:45:34
    Chose To Be This Way
    Mason Lancaster
    +2
    Birth doesn't effect your sexual preference or any other aspect of your life. ENVIRONMENT does. your environment effect what you will one day become. If you believe people are boring homo, or hetero, then you have to say that people are born suicidal or evil. Bin Laden wasn't born evil, and Amanda Todd wasn't born suicidal. You know why this theory is most commonly excepted? because America is sheltering the Homosexuals. Would you like to repeat segregation and discrimination? neither would the government. So they developed this theory to give homosexuals an excuse as to why they are this way. To protect them. Even I can see this, and im only 15. You guys are ignorant.
  • Faith ~... Mason L... 2012/10/26 15:43:53
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    So, tomorrow, you could desire sex and a relationship with someone of the same sex?
  • Mason L... Faith ~... 2012/10/30 21:25:59
    Mason Lancaster
    +5
    Yes. It isn't uncommon. Think of those teen lesbians who marry men and raise families. It's not like it doesn't happen. I, personally wouldn't change my sexual preference, but it's definetly possible. A guy i go to school with dated girls until 8th grade, and decided he liked guys. Another boy dated girls all his life, and then decided to become asexual. Its definetly possible. Any other questions mame?
  • Mason L... Faith ~... 2012/12/02 05:22:17
    Mason Lancaster
    +1
    and Faith, can I ask why that is your only reply to anyone? You're really a one-trick pony. You have no right to disregard others' opinions if you only have one argument against it.
  • Danny 2012/09/17 05:09:12
    Chose To Be This Way
    Danny
    +1
    Unless you are forcibly raped, you choose to or not to participate in any sexual activity. So of course it is a choice. Saying you have no choice is as messed up as saying Mc Donald's makes you fat. i have never sean Ronald cramming fries down anyone's throat. So sorry you can't blame anyone else even God if you believe in one. You must take responsibility for what you decide to participate in. Good bad or otherwise!!
  • Faith ~... Danny 2012/09/17 06:09:26
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    No one is talking about the choice to have sex, it's asking if you have a choice which sex you are attracted to.
  • Danny Faith ~... 2012/09/17 06:35:54
    Danny
    +3
    Yes ofcouse. You always chose who you will persue. Attraction is only a starting place here is proof... Ever attracted to some then they do something that makes it change. Your culture you are in in a lot of ways pushes you in different directions to. For instance, big 80s hair isn't as attractive to me as it was back in the day. Other cultures say fat women are sexier that thin. But to answer your response , You are correct you don't just choose to have sex. You also decide who you do it with!!
  • Faith ~... Danny 2012/09/17 19:19:18
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    So you could, tomorrow, "choose" to be sexualy attracted to someone of the same sex? You could "choose" to desire another man and "choose" to want a relationship with another man? I doubt it. I did not choose to be attracted to men, I was born that way, there is nothing that I or anyone else could do to make me be attracted to another woman.
  • Adam Danny 2012/09/17 19:59:24
    Adam
    Ill agree that pursuing a sexual relationship is a choice, and if you pursue a sexual relationship with someone of the same gender, that is the most basic way in which we can IDENTIFY someone as gay. However, it's safe to say that Homosexuals were born with an innate attraction to the same gender, and that attraction will exist, and remain the same, regardless of if they act on it or not. I see where you are coming from calling it a choice, but the important point of the question is that Biology beyond your control is what determines which gender you will desire to have sex with. Homosexuality is acting on desires you already possess through your nature, and you cannot choose who you desire to have sex with as far as gender is concerned.

I suspect that we all agree on this, and were just down to semantics.
  • Faith ~... Adam 2012/09/18 00:22:14
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    This poll has been up for four years, has Goodness knows how many replie at this point, and yours is by far the best response yet.
  • Adam Faith ~... 2012/09/18 00:55:37
    Adam
    Well that's good, this is actually the question that got me hooked on Sodahead years ago.
  • Faith ~... Adam 2012/09/18 06:02:03
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Ahhh, I remember those days! This was the first question I posted!
  • Jason S... Adam 2012/12/13 01:52:02
    Jason Scott
    +10
    I disagree that desire is innately biological, I believe from my own experience that it is heavily dependent on experience, nurture, etc. How can anyone say they were born gay? What does that even look like? I certainly can't say I was born heterosexual, although biologically that would make more sense from an evolutionary standpoint, in order to facilitate reproduction and so forth. I certainly didn't have any sexual attraction to anyone until over the age of 10 or 11. I remember having pictures of female supermodels on my bedroom walls as a preteen, just like all my friends, but I was really just trying to be "cool" and "manly" and trying to fit in with the crowd. Before I ever discovered any sexual urges, I had very affectionate relationship with members of both sexes and felt the need to have those relationships, so in that way I was "attracted" to both sexes, but it certainly wasn't of a sexual nature until I was older.
  • Adam Jason S... 2012/12/13 02:22:15
  • Jason S... Adam 2012/12/13 22:03:21
    Jason Scott
    +11
    Thanks for the lengthy and interesting response Adam. Do you think that the predisposition and the choice arguments necessarily are at odds with one another? If one has a natural tendency toward homosexuality, does that negate the involvement of choice? For instance, it is also argued that some are predisposed to other things that involve "choice" (I use "choice" loosely here because the amount of control one really has over his/her actions is is another debate altogether), for example some say that their own alcoholic tendencies are innate, but those same people can "choose" whether or not they pursue a life indulging in alcohol or a life of abstinence, or moderation of it, as good and pleasurable as drinking alcohol may be.

I don't know any fundamentalists as far as I know, but maybe you can tell me. If they think gays are evil, do they then think everyone is evil? Because even from a biblical standpoint homosexuality is one sin among many, and everyone has sinned according to the bible. And you also say that fundamentalists think their God would never make someone predisposed towards evil. Isn't that actually a main theme of their holy book, the bible, that everyone is predisposed towards evil? I may certainly be wrong, but that is my understanding of it. But If ...

I don't know any fundamentalists as far as I know, but maybe you can tell me. If they think gays are evil, do they then think everyone is evil? Because even from a biblical standpoint homosexuality is one sin among many, and everyone has sinned according to the bible. And you also say that fundamentalists think their God would never make someone predisposed towards evil. Isn't that actually a main theme of their holy book, the bible, that everyone is predisposed towards evil? I may certainly be wrong, but that is my understanding of it. But If that is indeed the case, I certainly believe that these "fundamentalists" are definitely a problem and aren't to be taken seriously, especially if they don't even believe the information contained in there manual.
  • Adam Jason S... 2012/12/13 22:27:34
    Adam
    +1
    I would say that there is almost always a spectrum of, "Choice" and "Nature" to anything, but in the case of homosexuality, the role of nature skews the matter all too far towards "Nature" to make the choice perspective meaningful. I suppose that rigorous conditioning could make a Bisexual functionally straight TECHNICALLY, but for the purpose of nearly any conversation, the choice component is insignificant.

As for explaining the flaws of fundamentalist logic, and the existential dillemas of free will in a religious system...I don't have the time to both figure out and explain the problems there in 100 lifetimes. Basically, people are naturally bad, but can be forgiven as long as they try to not be bad, and continuously indulging in an, "Evil" lifestyle shows that you don't want to be forgiven. So unless fundies reveal themselves as hypocrites, occasionally acting gay is okay if you feel bad about it, but accepting that you are gay is to accept sin without wanting forgiveness. Its relatively rational when your definition of what counts as evil and sinful isn't stupid. Which for homophobic fundies, it is.

Also, I JUST BARELY saw this. and its relevant.

http://io9.com/5967426/scient...
  • Danny Jason S... 2013/05/06 15:24:51
    Danny
    As one of those conservative "fundamentalist" I totally agree that the Bible teaches it is our nature to sin. We get that directly from Adam and Eve. But it is still a choice who you want to pursue. I'm a little put off by you fundamentalist comment but 100 % in agreement!!
  • Canucksboy Jason S... 2013/01/10 13:30:05
    Canucksboy
    +8
    Its called puberty, nobody is sexually attracted to anything before they hit it. Also, just because they were born that way, doesn't mean they know straight away.
  • 2012/08/27 08:54:45
    Born This WAY!!
    For any people who chose "Chose To Be This Way", your probably bi or pan, and thought you did. For anybody who chose "Undecided", your just a dumbass. Ya, unless you're bi or pan, you can't just choose to like a certain sex one day. And for any straight person reading this, just like gay people you didn't say one day "You know... I like girls." you never had to say that because you already knew, like we did.

Thanks for reading! ;D

2014/07/31 05:03:39