Are High School Seniors Too Dumb For College?

Maery 2010/08/18 19:55:30
Related Topics: Student, High School, blog
Yes. I guess some children were left behind...
No. With AP exams and hard courses, high school seniors are prepared.
As our nation continues to fall behind other countries in education, the Wall Street Journal reports that fewer than 25% of 2010 graduates have the necessary skills to pass entry-level college courses. Taking data from ACT scores, the report shows that while there was a slight increase from 22% college readiness in 2008, most incoming freshmen won't be able to handle their college coursework. What do you think? Are today's high school students too dumb for college?incoming freshmen handle college coursework high school students dumb college

Read More: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240527487038...

• MW121 2010/08/19 00:50:01
    MW121
    +7
    I think the problem is that High school and even college doesn't necessarily prepare kids for the real world. What you learn in High School doesn't necessarily prepare you for college and then what you learn in college doesn't necessarily prepare you for the real world. It's amazing to talk to many kids that have graduated college this past May/June.. Talking with them it was either going to grad school, med school, law school but most of them had no clue what they were going to do next... Many mentioned they graduated with a degree but have no clue what they want to do with it. they just want a job.. In HS, it's all about preparing you how to take tests then you get into college and it's about taking tests.. nothing about what's out in the real world... I know even many of my friends from college had no clue.. so until something drastically changes in the way schools are taught, I think this trend is just going to continue..

• LoNeLyWoLf 2010/09/06 05:01:06
    LoNeLyWoLf
    Because alot of seniors dont really work their best
  • fireware0062 2010/09/01 20:54:51
    fireware0062
    it's not the students, it's the education system that making them look dumb!!
  • David 2010/09/01 19:13:22
    David
    I don't think that it is necessarily a case of high school kids being too dumb but more a case of being poorly prepared. Primary education in the US is woefully lacking compared to the rest of the industrialized world in many areas and way underfunded. Education is work and should be taken more seriously by our leaders and the parents of students to set a good example.
  • Phillip 2010/09/01 16:06:49
    Phillip
    Getting a good education requires more than going to class and getting passed along.
    Some need to learn a trade, not go to college.
    The liberal public education system is most at fault here.
    Lazy parents do not help.
    You cannot make a scholar out of a criminal, or a gourd head.
  • pantagruella 2010/09/01 09:22:37
    pantagruella
    Everyone in the world knows that America has the highest levels of science and technology. Even the technological achievements of the Japanese in some areas has abated in the last decade or so. The cream of American youth is the cream of the world. All arms of the American system are staffed by the most intelligent that a population of 350 million has to offer. America does not need everyone to be an anaylyst, lawyer or a general. People should be careful using words such as dumb about Americans. I don't know where you could say such a thing safely.
  • strawberry 2010/09/01 08:19:58
    strawberry
    I can understand why many elementary school children don't learn. I worked with a 4th and 2nd grade teacher. By the time the teachers handed out work the children barely had time to finish because the teacher had to move on to something else or it was lunch or break time. Second grade children were writing with pencil stubs; I bought a box gave them to the teacher, she just put them in her desk. I would make children sharpen their pencils before starting their work. When in elementary school number one rule was to sharpen your pencil. In 4th grade pencils were only used for math. Between going in and out of the building took too much time away from class work. Administration were much to blame demanding quantity, not quality; teachers were rushed. I took 4th grade students who fell behind into the school library and brought their skills up very quickly. It was shocking to see 4th graders who could not print or do script correctly. There is another issue. Problem behavior students who disrupt classes. No matter how modern school buildings are problem students are disruptive and destructive. Too much time is spent on slow learners, not fair to quick learners. More money is spent on slow students then those with higher IQ's who learn fast. I came up with an idea to ha...
    I can understand why many elementary school children don't learn. I worked with a 4th and 2nd grade teacher. By the time the teachers handed out work the children barely had time to finish because the teacher had to move on to something else or it was lunch or break time. Second grade children were writing with pencil stubs; I bought a box gave them to the teacher, she just put them in her desk. I would make children sharpen their pencils before starting their work. When in elementary school number one rule was to sharpen your pencil. In 4th grade pencils were only used for math. Between going in and out of the building took too much time away from class work. Administration were much to blame demanding quantity, not quality; teachers were rushed. I took 4th grade students who fell behind into the school library and brought their skills up very quickly. It was shocking to see 4th graders who could not print or do script correctly. There is another issue. Problem behavior students who disrupt classes. No matter how modern school buildings are problem students are disruptive and destructive. Too much time is spent on slow learners, not fair to quick learners. More money is spent on slow students then those with higher IQ's who learn fast. I came up with an idea to have a special school for high school age and junior high age students who are constant problems and not learning. Suspension, detention is a waste of time. They get into trouble on the streets and are not learning anything. These special buildings would be no frill, no sports, more strict, more counseling. They would stay in this school setting until their behavior changed and their skills brought up to grade level. Teachers and students who want to learn should not have to put up with bullies and non learners. Towns and cities who have too many problem students should have such special schools. They will be off the street in a classroom learning. This would take very qualified teachers. Their clothing privileges should be taken away. They should be made to wear special shirts. They should be shamed which often works. Hitting does not work. If they are shunned by students in the regular school they would shape up. Once they do they can then go back to their regular school. Very dangerous problem kids should be checked for mental illness and home abuse. No students should feel danger from other students. The police might have to get involved.
    Too many two year colleges are taking students just for the money. They have also offered courses that are not required courses. This problem has grown worse over the last century. Getting into colleges only because of being good at sports should be cut out completely. Grades have to come first. You cannot mix slow learners with smarter children starting in elementary schools. It is not fair to either group.
  • Greywolf 2010/09/01 06:05:00
    Greywolf
    LOL ! if 75% or more of the hs grads are unable to pass entry-level college courses, I would have to say a lot of children were left behind.
    +1
    My brother is a college prof and says that the level of education is constantly diminishing. Kids are no longer taught historical content because they fear history will make them vote republican!
  • Pat Cozzone 2010/09/01 03:24:56
    Pat Cozzone
    The vast majority of teachers are not doing their job, most graduating seniors have a 6th grade reading level, but they can text OMG....
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2010/09/01 03:00:19
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    They don't have time for math and english, with all the sex education, revised history and evolution garbage.
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2010/09/01 01:48:08
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    +1
    All are not college material.
  • Makayla... jumpboo... 2011/09/30 23:32:13
    Makayla Bryant
    hey girl no yes boy no yes
  • Nisa PinkySwear(*~*) 2010/09/01 01:08:06
    Nisa PinkySwear(*~*)
    excuse moi?(sorry bad french-lish) I am a a HS now! dumb is the wrong word. I mean some have less opportunities to get ahead.
    Like me, at my middle school you had no options for you classes. You took the same math, english, and history as everyone else in your grade.
    But i had a chance to do better now in a larger HS (even tho i know i can do even better) But school isnt the same as what it used to be in my dad's time. Courses are harder than ever.
  • Liza Jane 2010/09/01 00:10:55
  • BlondieBrownEyes 2010/08/31 22:21:18
  • Drew~PWCM~JLA~ 2010/08/31 22:20:05
    Drew~PWCM~JLA~
    +2
    Thanks to government and union interferance I have to say yes. They don't teach what is needed and if they do in part the subjets are so twisted and do not have but a shred of truth left in them.
  • gingin6 2010/08/31 21:54:35
    gingin6
    +1
    I've notice lots of people do better in college than in high school. You're
    finally learning something you like might make a difference.
  • Beth XD ♥ 2010/08/31 21:16:13
    Beth XD ♥
    They can do it if they try hard enough and can control their occasional stupidity (:
  • Racefish 2010/08/31 21:01:41
    Racefish
    There's no "maybe". It depends entirely o the parents and the school the parents send the kid to. I know an 8th grader who's smarter than some seniors. But then, her parents are Conservative.
  • 12 Tone Melody 2010/08/31 20:30:05
    12 Tone Melody
  • Fergie 2010/08/31 20:22:57
    Fergie
    +2
    When I hear from my parents what school was like for them, I realize that even when I was in high school, standards were drastically lower. Since then I assume they have gone down even more
    +2
    I would say only the ones that did not take high school seriously are the ones not ready for college.
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2010/08/31 20:05:27
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
  • Dave 2010/08/31 19:50:52
    Dave
    +1
    Are college seniors too dumb for the real world ?
    As easy as college is these days you could probably skip
    your junior and senior year in high school and still do fine in
    most colleges.
  • Callaway 2010/08/31 19:38:39
    Callaway
    +1
    There is a major difference between being too dumb for college and being unprepared for college which I would think is more applicable. Somewhere in schools today they mistakenly switched the directions on educating kids in a public schools and a fast food joint where it is a big deal to claim so many million served. ..Quality not quantity should be the watch word in education today.
  • jasmine1 2010/08/31 19:38:02
    jasmine1
    +3
    It seems to me that our educational system has dumbed down the requirements for a passing grade. I am often surprised at how little graduates really know.
  • Dave jasmine1 2010/08/31 19:52:04
    Dave
    +2
    Especially American history.
  • ☺♥.•°Bə... Dave 2010/09/01 03:25:55
    ☺♥.•°Bəth°•.☻
    +2
    I feel like I don't know enough history (I'm currently attending high school). I often just go to the internet in search for answers out of curiosity and interest.
  • Dave ☺♥.•°Bə... 2010/09/01 15:08:15
    Dave
    +1
    That's very smart of you.
    Just don't get it from wikapedia.
    Go to Glen Becks site, I think he has a list of good books on American history.
  • ☺♥.•°Bə... Dave 2010/09/01 22:53:56
    ☺♥.•°Bəth°•.☻
    +1
    I never get information from Wikipedia.
    I don't only search about history though. I just like the idea of knowing something most of my classmates don't. :p
  • Jarhead 2010/08/31 19:37:47
    Jarhead
    thats ridiculous
  • Noah Vaile 2010/08/31 19:28:59
    Noah Vaile
    +1
    Sadly, with public education as it is high school seniors are too poorly educated to vote intelligently. To hell with college. Kust get them into remedial thinking classes.
  • SLEDGE 2010/08/31 19:26:04
    SLEDGE
    +1
    High school students aren't being trained to be free thinkers ready to face the world. Educated people are a threat to control. If government keeps the people in the dark and under educated there is no worry of anyone going against them.
  • LittleMistersMom 2010/08/31 19:24:43
    LittleMistersMom
    I actually made a point similar to this the other day, but had no responses :(. I posted an article making these points along with a few more. Yes...many teachers are so worried about incentives, and making sure people pass their class that they have dumbed down the curriculum. I actually had a sophomore in high school last year ask me what a senator was. We had our senator coming for a visit and I was asking them to be on thier best behaviors.... yeah...she's getting a great Social Studies education!
  • Magic Twanger 2010/08/31 19:24:20 (edited)
    Magic Twanger
    Yes and No, it impossible to generalize. Some of the youths are well prepared and ready, some are ill prepared and have ACT's, SAT's in the sub-zero range. I believe the 25% figure, just look at society. Schools are an abomination and the teachers unions and the teachers themselves are at fault. We will accept the lowest common denominator and settle for less.

I teach at a medical university and 25% of the student do not need remedial math, science, English and other core classes, that leaves the student at least 75% are a full year extra for graduation and 15% of the students will drop out and never re enter the education field again. The kids today are the most entitled people ever, they just want grades because they show up to class once or twice. They all go running to the Dean of my department when I flunk them in their first semester, and I flunk about 30% + or -. The Dean just tells them clearly that if you do not attend classes, take the required tests and have a proper attitude... you will not get a passing grade from Dr. Me. It usually takes one semester with a non-passing grade for the students to get it and understand the requirements which are all clearly stated in the class syllabus.

It took me almost 30 years to finish my education, I worked for those 3...

It took me almost 30 years to finish my education, I worked for those 30 years and finally went back to college to finish my Ph.D. this year with a 3.25 GPA not too bad for a 63 year old man.

years college finish ph year 3 25 gpa 63 year
  • Autarchic 2010/08/31 19:22:20
    Autarchic
    +1
    Dumbed down America!
  • Katie~awkward child♥ 2010/08/31 19:20:43 (edited)
    Katie~awkward child♥
    +1
    Yes, but it's not entirely fault of the educational system. Lots of kids these days are just lazy and willfully ignorant. And then there are those who find school to be a complete waste of time.
  • bls 2010/08/31 19:17:33
    bls
    +2
    When adults have lost the ability to discipline the kids, then the inmates are running the asylum and these are the results. We're in trouble here. We didn't have all these issues when I went to school. The teachers and principals had switches and paddles handy and if we got out of line, they used them, then called our parents. When we got home, we got it again. School was a place for learning, not playing around. We were encouraged to succeed, not given excuses for failure. We were taught that we are Americans and we can succeed at anything if we work hard enough, not told we are entitled to life handed to us on a silver platter. If we didn't put forth enough effort, we failed and got an F. We were held back if we didn't achieve a certain grade and had to take that year over again. Nobody wanted to get left behind, so we put forth the effort, did our work, learned what we had to learn and we achieved!! Look at the schools now, what a total failure they have become. It is a shame, we should all be ashamed of this and change our ways before it is too late for the future of the country
  • Melizmatic 2010/08/31 19:14:45
    Melizmatic
    +3
    This is sad, but hardly surprising.
  • tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ 2010/08/31 19:11:13 (edited)
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    +2
    Hey, at least I'm one of the smart ones. But that's a lot of kids. Everyone knows there are problems with public schools, but I think it's worth mentioning that the problems start at home...

2014/12/20 00:13:04