Are Feminists a dying breed?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/10/05 12:45:15

According to a new survey, 66% of mothers, or two-thirds, say they'd rather be a stay-at-home mom than work. And that included 53% of mothers who have jobs . . . and say if they didn't need the money, they'd quit immediately to stay at home.

What do you think? Are feminists fading away, like a fad, or are their goals changing? I'm not sure, but I wonder if this percentage has changed from 10 years ago....Anyway, Its worth pondering.

• Jack's Pearl 2011/10/05 13:09:20
    Jack's Pearl
    +16
    The feminist movement is about choices for women. Empowering them in what's known to be a mans role. That's changed a ton since the feminist starting fighting for equal rights. Being a Stay at home mom is just one other thing we can choose to do if we don't have to work. It's a blessing. There are stay at home dads now and that is growing. This is all about choices for everyone.

• Chris Rowell 2012/01/05 07:20:05
    Chris Rowell
    More women are realizing that feminism is a lie.
  • TooSweet 2011/10/07 03:06:50
    TooSweet
    I'm not even sure what the hell A "feminist" is these day's,But I do prefer being the "macho" gentleman and I like a feminine lady at my side.
  • chaoskitty123 2011/10/07 01:35:23
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    It depends on what you mean by feminist as women haven't really needed any feminist organization for decades as most of what they have now they got using lawyers and a willingness to fight.

What they get from Feminists today is essentially nothing but bad memories.

The womens rights movement had a goal for equality and the feminists are a militant branch of womens rights who served a cause in rallying the troops when they needed a man to do their fighting for them... and these militant feminists were the ones to lead as most of them possessed great anger and even hatred that they were women in some cases demanding almost that women should abandon everything that made them women.

They used to fight for things like the right to vote... then they shifted to the right to go topless in public. Face facts, the Feminists lost touch with the women of the United States decades ago and today, even most crying out for womens rights don't take part or belong to any womens rights groups.

This study reflects what even the studies done by Feminists reveal as the majority of women don't like living in a mans world... but before you slam me for saying that, most men don't like living in a mans world either. A mans world is hard labor, injuries, always talked to as a slave told what to do ...

This study reflects what even the studies done by Feminists reveal as the majority of women don't like living in a mans world... but before you slam me for saying that, most men don't like living in a mans world either. A mans world is hard labor, injuries, always talked to as a slave told what to do how to do it and when or get screamed at with threats of how you'll lose your job if you don't do as your are told. Men work damn hard for low pay coming home to a family who wants him to be part of the family when he's so psychologically beaten down he either removes himself from the family or his worst character traits come to the surface as he's a slave at work but he's the master of his home treating his family the way he's been treated at work.

Working women understand this because when they come home, they're expected to still play the role of mom and they're so beaten down that they bring their work home with them as anger, frustration and simply being overwhelmed by life leading to depression and worse.

Then you have the children who are often left to raise themselves because even with their parents at home, it's as if they're being raised by strangers.

Another fact. In the 50's and even in the 60's, a one income family could survive as Middle Class. Since the 70's, inflation has been hidden by the government as it pushed for a two income household which concealed the inflation rate so that today two incomes are often not enough and women are rejecting the message they have been spoon fed that they have to work for a living.

We are now in the first generation of children raised by two income families where a third generation is often involved. As a result, women raised by working mothers and grandmothers want their own children to be raised with a stay at home mom where the kids will know their mothers unlike themselves who often grew up taking on the role of mom in their homes because their own mothers were working.

And what do they see the feminists doing? The same damn things they did in the 60's doing protest marches so women can go topless in public when the vast majority of women don't even want to go topless in public... and men would love it so how out of touch can you be when you're pushing an agenda few women want and most men would love to see?

There's still work to be done but now the shift is to gender and family rights as we need to refocus and find answers for the problems our modern family structure creates. We know at least one parent needs to be there for the kids and we need to reduce stress and work related depression. We need to focus on the family by focusing on who has the best earning potential to hold a job and the other spouse stay at home managing the household while monitoring an investment portfolio so if their employer shuts down to go over seas... GREAT NEWS because you have invested in your employers business and relocating could give you more money each week from your stock investment than working. Thus, you have the time and money to invest in a small business.

It's time for women to put the Feminists behind them like a bad memory and focus on gender rights because it's no longer about women or men, it's about men and women which is where the Feminists claimed they wanted to eventually get to in their objectives... we've been there for a few decades now and they refuse to take the next step so that the vast majority of women simply have abandoned the Feminist movement because it no longer represents them and hasn't for quite some time now.
  • indiejen chaoski... 2011/10/09 07:00:23
    indiejen
    +1
    Good answer. Damn good answer!
  • Lily Blooms Eternal 2011/10/07 00:20:48 (edited)
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    +1
    I hope so!

LOL, seriously though, it's a good question and I have thought for some time that the rabid feminism of the 60s and 70s has been rejected by the newer generations of women, and ironically, it seems to be the strongest women that reject it.

Frankly, some days the only problem I have with the phrase "a woman's place is in the home" is that it is considered to apply to married women only! I don't even have kids and I often feel like I could find more fulfillment in things I could do from home or things I wouldn't get paid for.
  • vamp-gal 2011/10/06 18:18:34 (edited)
    vamp-gal
    +1
    There's so much more to feminism than their career. There are many different types of feminists too with different priorities - as long as there are women who want the same rights as men there will always be feminists, and I for one am grateful for that.

Being a stay-at-home mum or dad is a choice and the fact they even have the choice would be mind-boggling/amazing and even horrifying to people years ago - weren't America considering electing a woman president? That's how far we have come and hopefully we can go even further.
  • Helmholtz 2011/10/06 10:44:22
    Helmholtz
    +2
    Feminism is such a ridiculously broad word that it almost lacks meaning. Women deciding to work in the home hardly is signal that feminists are on the verge of extinction.
  • buffydracfan 2011/10/06 09:54:02
    buffydracfan
    ...Are you just trying to stir up trouble?
  • Assassi... buffydr... 2011/10/06 18:23:41
  • James 2011/10/06 06:35:09 (edited)
    James
    +1
    Feminazis. They've done their utmost to destroy the American family. What else do you need to know?
  • Doc Frank stein 2011/10/06 03:50:55
    Why must you be difficult all the time?
    Doc Frank stein
    +1
    IF ONLY .... Lol!!!...
    If only they had Gone away at the very beginning, the world would not be in the complete mess that it is, and Gays would still be well off the agenda.
    Feminism has ruined for ALL - including themselves ... they have now set the tone such that many married women HAVE to work, or feel compelled to!!

Would have bin better had they walked in the door then back out the other way in the beginning; but, No ... they seem to have left a Permanent mark on society - a deep gash! :(
  • JohnFitzgeral12 2011/10/06 03:32:35
    JohnFitzgeral12
    +1
    Hopefully.
  • Jenjey 2011/10/06 02:53:08
    Jenjey
    I dont know about you, but I think everyone would quit and stay at home if they didnt need the money, not just women.
  • Lily Bl... Jenjey 2011/10/07 00:23:28
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    I disagree......men are hard-wired in such a way that in general, they are not happy if they don't have some kind of job or work to do.
  • Jenjey Lily Bl... 2011/10/07 00:27:47
    Jenjey
    +2
    not all men!! some are just straight up lazy.
  • Son of Furious 2011/10/06 02:37:54
    Son of Furious
    +2
    A lot of women that I have encountered consider themselves femminist. I'd say real men have been a dying breed since the seventies.
  • Doc Fra... Son of ... 2011/10/06 03:54:01
    Doc Frank stein
    +1
    Real men were actually shunted out by women wanting to take over and use new Law to enforce it.
    Once that happens, you lose Real men :(
  • Lily Bl... Son of ... 2011/10/07 00:24:03
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    +1
    And I think that it was feminism that started killing off real manhood, that's my beef with it!
  • Son of ... Lily Bl... 2011/10/07 03:38:12
    Son of Furious
    +1
    (laughs) I'd have to agree with you there. Women having careers is one thing, but there is no need to be hostile. I think that because of feminism men and women have ultimately lost their sense of identity.
  • Anna E 2011/10/06 02:20:17
    Anna E
    +1
    I think the whole idea was to be equal to men but different, as opposed to being different and subservient. It's a matter of choice. If women want to be homebodies, fine. If women want to have jobs in the workforce, fine, but it should be our choice. And we should be paid equally for doing work equal to men.
    And you notice the article specifies MOTHERS, not all women in general.
  • Lily Bl... Anna E 2011/10/07 00:24:46
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    +1
    Yes, that's very true. I said above that the problem I have with "a woman's place is in the home" is that only married women get to do it!
  • Anna E Lily Bl... 2011/10/07 15:29:30 (edited)
    Anna E
    +1
    That's also very true, especially if we have kids.
  • Anonymous 2011/10/06 01:28:24 (edited)
    Anonymous
    +2
    I don't think its dying, I think women should do whatever makes them happy. If that means staying home, so be it. Its their choice. They shouldn't be forced to stay home but they also shouldn't HAVE to get up and go to work everyday if they would rather be home tending to things there.
    And let's not kid ourselves here people, men are more than capable of staying home too. It doesn't have to always be the woman. Case and point, my girlfriend's dad stays home to care for her younger brothers and her mom works. Their family seems fine to me.
  • Rogue_Loner 2011/10/05 23:33:04
  • dlsofsetx 2011/10/05 23:20:16
    dlsofsetx
    +1
    Everything goes in cycles.It was inevitable there would come a time when more women would opt to stay at home.
  • Boris Badinov 2011/10/05 22:38:21
    Boris Badinov
    +3
    God, I really hope so...!
  • Lily Bl... Boris B... 2011/10/07 00:25:09
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    +1
    LOL, that's what I said.
  • John Storz 2011/10/05 22:36:29
    John Storz
    +1
    ... heh... still can't make up their minds....
  • oldcavpilot 2011/10/05 22:14:30
    oldcavpilot
    +5
    Is there somebody who thinks being a stay at home Mom is easy? No dumping at daycare, you got 'em 24/7. Guess why daycare costs so much.

It's the choice. Most work because they need the money to pay bills, including daycare, but some work because they enjoy it. It's the choice made allowable by the feminist movement
  • Assassi... oldcavp... 2011/10/05 22:16:41
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    There are people right on this poll that seem to think its easy.
  • oldcavp... Assassi... 2011/10/05 22:18:35
    oldcavpilot
    +5
    Woefully ignorant of reality.
  • Assassi... oldcavp... 2011/10/05 22:24:54
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    Oh yes I agree. The ones I have known work very hard, and never have much time....they rock.
  • oldcavp... Assassi... 2011/10/05 22:29:23
    oldcavpilot
    +2
    Amen to that.
  • ILuvMonkeys 2011/10/05 22:13:01
  • Luca 2011/10/05 21:14:36
    Luca
    +1
    It is not ijn the least difficult to ponder. There is underlying dynamics that are innante and are the causal reasons for this. I am not going to write a textbook here...but basically men and woman are psychologically, physiologically, anatomocially, and biochemically arranged as opposites. Power and Love if you will...or...Hunter/gatherer..... This is NATURAL. This is how it is meant to be. Neither is greater than the other...both are equal halves to a much bigger picture, and when harmonized properly, for a whole that is much greater than the sum of its parts.

Conditions have changed where it became necessary women adopt traditional male dominated roles. This did not make it ego-systonic. It is counter to the female nature. The divorce rate escalated as a result. Women (whom are organized to be "tension-retaining"). But, the OVER accumulation of these new tensions caused many problems...it is not natural. Underscoring the new anxities increaed the desire to "let go". This manifested in many different ways as well.

Now, as women CAN afford it...IF they their families can afford it...they are returning to the home...
  • 1Actual 2011/10/05 19:57:38
    1Actual
    +1
    IDK, it depends on which form of "feminism" you are talking about. Is the poster speaking of the radical, bra-burning, Gloria Steinham's of the late 60's and 70's, or is the poster speaking of the modern feminist who is more balanced and more protected by workplace laws, to the point that radical femi-nazi's are no longer required? I think the poster should clarify. I asked a poll question a while back about whether chivalry is dead and some of the responses would fit equally well here. I think that the day of the radical, "i hate chivalry", gloria steinham, man hating uber feminazi IS over. I also believe that the day of the educated, balanced, and legally-protected feminist is NOT. If a woman CHOOSES to be a sahm, then she IS exercising her rights as a woman. I think that now a days, IMHO, we have witnessed the results of mothers NOT being at home, raising their children, for now we have the highest juvenile crime, juvenile pregnancy, juvenile incarceration and juvenile death rates in American history. I put that blame soley on parents who chose NOT to stay at home with their children, especially the ones that "had to prove something" to men. I think a woman who stays at home to properly raise her kids is a far better woman than one who still thinks she has to prove...
    IDK, it depends on which form of "feminism" you are talking about. Is the poster speaking of the radical, bra-burning, Gloria Steinham's of the late 60's and 70's, or is the poster speaking of the modern feminist who is more balanced and more protected by workplace laws, to the point that radical femi-nazi's are no longer required? I think the poster should clarify. I asked a poll question a while back about whether chivalry is dead and some of the responses would fit equally well here. I think that the day of the radical, "i hate chivalry", gloria steinham, man hating uber feminazi IS over. I also believe that the day of the educated, balanced, and legally-protected feminist is NOT. If a woman CHOOSES to be a sahm, then she IS exercising her rights as a woman. I think that now a days, IMHO, we have witnessed the results of mothers NOT being at home, raising their children, for now we have the highest juvenile crime, juvenile pregnancy, juvenile incarceration and juvenile death rates in American history. I put that blame soley on parents who chose NOT to stay at home with their children, especially the ones that "had to prove something" to men. I think a woman who stays at home to properly raise her kids is a far better woman than one who still thinks she has to prove how "tough chick" and career-oriented, anti-chivalry and materially obsessed she can be, re: feminazi..Hey tough chick...go raise a child then come to me with whats REALLY tough...yay soccer moms (the REAL tough chicks!) soccer mom tired
  • juskro92 2011/10/05 19:51:38 (edited)
    juskro92
    +3
    No. My girlfriend is a feminist and it seemed like half the girls in my graduating class were feminists. I feel that some are misdirected, when they are fighting for equality it's ok, but when they want to be men or are super uninformed, that's a problem.
  • Doc Fra... juskro92 2011/10/06 03:56:55
    Doc Frank stein
    a problem which has been so huge as to ruin it for everyone ... and to simultaneously destroy the world's economies!!! :(
  • JGF 2011/10/05 19:29:01
    JGF
    +1
    does being a mother negate also being a feminist?
  • Assassi... JGF 2011/10/05 20:17:59
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    Of course not. However in the past and even still, being a stay at home mom has been ridiculed by the feminists. It is starting to fade to some extent, but they were not supportive in the past of a woman who chose to stay home and raise her children.

2014/09/16 03:04:40