Are Extended Unemployment Benefits a Disincentive to Work?

The Frog Princess 2010/10/22 12:12:30
Related Topics: Depend, Obama, Read, Job
Yes, we're facing touch economic times and it doesn't seem to be getting any better with unemployment hovering at around 10% in spite of Obama's magical stimulus plan that would keep it from rising about 8%. Where are all those shovel ready projects you and that Democratic Congress promised us? What does seem odd is to have an economy that is so screwed up that it pay to remain unemployed rather than to get a job.

There are about 8 million people unemployed and drawing unemployment compensation and the amount depends upon where they live and what they previously earned. It runs the gamut from $935 max a week in Massachusetts to a low of $235 in Mississippi. The average, reports the US Department of Labor is $293.54 per week. Thge compensation is usually 47% of what you earned when you lost your job.

In some states a worker isn't required to accept a job that pays less than their unemployment benefits. There doesn't appear to be data collected to get a grasp of how many people are turning down work who are on unemployment. The basic criteria is that one must be "actively" looking for work. In many instances this becomes no more than a paper drill.

Was extending the benefits from the traditional 26 allowable weeks to 99 weeks a disincentive for people to find a job. We have a neighbor who now sits at home and collects the weekly stipend, makes three phone calls to ask if a business is hiring, makes out the form and sends it in. Is she really looking for a job? Or a check? The article at the link tells of some of the p[lights that workers are faced with in this economy. Take a moment to read it and then tell us what you think.

Is this protracted unemployment compensation an incentive or a disincentive to work. There is no easy answer here.

Read More: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39693099/ns/business-e...

• STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL 2010/10/22 23:54:20
    STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL
    +6
    Due to the low average benefits, I don't think the real issue is how long unemployment benefits last.

A more serious problem is illegal immigrants. While it's true that some are taking jobs very few Americans would want, others are in higher paying jobs displacing American workers.

But the real job killers in the US are unionization and tariff policy. Unions expect skilled technical workers to make what junior managers make, leading to offshoring of jobs. Jobs that should really pay $40-50K in the US get pumped up by about $25K, causing employers to look elsewhere. Tariff policy may be an even bigger problem. Corporations have paid Congress big time not to impose retaliatory tariffs against low wage countries; it's all part of a deal where the low wage countries allow US multinationals to set up shop there in exchange for export protection. Tens of millions of high paying US jobs have been lost as a result of this bribery of Congress.

• jubil8 BN-0 PON 2010/11/03 04:09:47
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    If you have an independent, stand-on-your-own outlook, unemployment won't turn you into a leech because you won't want to accept it one minute longer than you need to. It's like using crutches when you break your leg -- you may need them temporarily, but once your leg heals, you hide them in the closet, you don't go on using them because you're so glad you can walk again like you used to do.
  • Carl 2010/10/31 17:34:44
    Carl
    +1
    Feed them pablum until they believe it is really steak. It cam also be called dumbing down America.
  • commieblaster77 2010/10/26 03:30:36
    commieblaster77
    +1
    For some i agree it is but there are some like my sister in SC who has ALWAYS had a job since she was 16 years old and it absolutely KILLED her to have to draw unemployment. Even when i explained to her that SHE has paid into the system ALL OF HER WORKING LIFE and should NOT feel bad for receiving unemployment insurance. She has been PRAYING and sending out resumes by the score, desperately seeking employment ...finally PRAISE GOD she has secured a job after being unemployed for nearly a year!! I told her God would open a door for her somewhere EVEN if He had to create a new place for her...THAT is in fact exactly what happened too...the company had just created a NEW position and hired her for it!!! All i can say is God takes good care of HIS kids and SHE knows He opened this door for her...What a faithful and loving Father He is!! position hired god care kids opened door faithful loving father
  • Sheila 2010/10/26 00:41:58
    Sheila
    +1
    I don't think the amount of money collected on unemployment allows for a comfortable style of living. At best, it's barely enough to keep a roof over your head. Of course, there will always be people who work the system, but in today's economy, it is necessary for extended benefits for many people.
  • Barbara Hasler 2010/10/24 18:38:19
    Barbara Hasler
    +2
    This is part of the regimes agenda. In order to get us into the marxist/socialist mode they need to control the work force. By extending unemployment benefits, they are achieving one one of their aims. Where is the pride of the individual worker? The should not stop looking for work and take a job no matter what it is to get back into the private sector work force. Not only is it good for the person emotionally but it keeps jobs skills honed as well.
  • jubil8 ... Barbara... 2010/11/03 04:08:17 (edited)
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    You can't stop looking for work -- you have to list interviews you've been on and why you're still lining up to pick up a check. At least that's how it was done in the past; I don't know whether the process has changed (if there are hundreds of thousands of people, it may not be possible to check everyone as closely). You also don't get unemployment if you quit a job; you have to be fired for something like your position was eliminated or your department was reorganized (not "for cause").
  • Barbara... jubil8 ... 2010/11/03 05:33:14
    Barbara Hasler
    +1
    It has been shown that the individuals on unemployment send out resumes and hang out until they are running out of unemployment then they search in earnest. Extending it further and further kills that incentive.
  • jubil8 ... Barbara... 2010/11/03 11:58:15
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    It may well be that the standards for qualifying have gotten sloppy (gee, wouldn't that be a surprise -- a sloppily managed entitlement program). It also might vary a lot between locations. You need people in the offices who take their job seriously, not who think it's a joke to hand out tax dollars to people who aren't really trying.

As you might guess, I had to collect unemployment (many years ago). Without it I wouldn't have been able to pay my bills, and I could have lost custody of my children. I was darned grateful there was something which let me keep our lives together till I found a new job. With benefits lasting 6 months I had plenty of incentive to be serious. And now I'm reading lots about people who say the jobs just aren't there.

If you're seriously looking, not finding a decent paying job is very discouraging too.

I also don't think the average amount is big enough to keep a family above water. It might work for individuals who don't have any responsibilities besides themselves, and maybe their claims should be scrutinized more carefully. But when you have a head of family out of work, you usually have a person who wants to be productive imo. Entitlements are waaay out of control, but not all their premises are bad.

I realize that there are only 500+ peo...

I realize that there are only 500+ people in Congress, but they've voted themselves 6 pay raises since 2000. As far as I'm concerned, that, + their private health plan and all their other little games and perks, are a much more sickening "entitlement" than many of the national programs that exist.
    +1
    Yes.... just like the Democrats want
  • socokid 2010/10/24 13:47:04 (edited)
    socokid
    +2
    No. (Next time maybe give us answers to choose from?)

The vast majority of these people are hard working Americans simply not able to find a job. Suggesting they're OK with selling their house, moving in with friends and family (many times with children), wondering how they are going to pay their bills, etc... is something they are OK with would be RIDICULOUS.

Sorry...
  • The Fro... socokid 2010/10/24 15:48:16
    The Frog Princess
    +2
    I want opinions, not multiple choice answers. I like it when people have to think.
  • socokid The Fro... 2010/10/26 12:43:32
    socokid
    And yet everyone just answered in their remarks anyway. These boxes full of text are for our "thought out" responses.

Quickly being able to see what the SH community feels on the subject with answer percentages merely adds to the "question". I see no way that it takes away ANYthing.

Ah well...
  • santa6642 2010/10/24 13:43:55
    santa6642
    +1
    yes, why work when you can sit on your ass and be paid like those on welfare
  • LesWaggoner BN 1 2010/10/24 05:56:18
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    When the unofficial unemployment rate got above 15% in 2008 it became obvious that the unemployment rate was not going to drop.
    Any of you family or friends among those lazy, good for nothing work dodgers?
  • The Fro... LesWagg... 2010/10/24 10:40:10
    The Frog Princess
    +1
    That last question seems kind of harsh.
  • LesWagg... The Fro... 2010/10/25 14:42:02
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    +1
    How many times have you heard references to the unemployed as exactly that from the far right fringe? I probably should have added a smiley face to indicate that it was an inappropriatre statement but I am angered by those attitudes.
    This whole recession was initiated under a Rwepublican administration but if you look at the responses from the fringe right you will see them blaming the progressives for the unemployment situation.
    As a registered Republican I resent the attitude of the conservative fringe like "jackolantern 356", "santa 6642" and "scalded eagle". They are obviously out of touch with the real world and I cannot imagine what their world view is.
    Luckily my family is fully employed but I have friends on Social Security whose progeny have been forced to move in with them in order to survive. Others who have lost their homes and possessions.
    These are hard working people who have never asked for anything and now some are on nnon-government welfare of various forms.
    I am in Costa Rica and the fallout of the American economy has affected people world wide. We have a large garden here and fruit trees and the people with whom we share.the largesse are the ones who come daily to tend and expand the production.
    Compassion among certain Americans is severely lacking.
  • The Fro... LesWagg... 2010/10/25 15:23:31
    The Frog Princess
    +1
    Your failure to understand economics spoke to me from your post. Try going back to school.
  • LesWagg... The Fro... 2010/10/26 02:03:28
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    Do you challenge the unofficial unemployment rate?
  • Scalded Eagle 2010/10/23 19:21:26
    Scalded Eagle
    +3
    Unemployment is not an entidlment, it is insurance payed for by employers. Extending benifits will calapse unenployment too. Just like all the gov. sponsored commie programs! Has Unemployed been nationalized by the govt. too?
  • Ed 2010/10/23 19:12:02
    Ed
    +1
    It depends on the individual. I have never collected 1 dime. I think some people rather live off it, others use it as a supplemental income and some just have to though they may not want to.

But, is it a disincentive to work I agree 100%
  • Snowbird Ed 2010/10/24 01:35:20
    Snowbird
    +6
    It is insurance paid out of our paychecks. It is not a benefit, it is collecting what you have already deposited. You pay into unemployment
  • Ed Snowbird 2010/10/24 02:10:51
    Ed
    +2
    I would have much rather have kept all that money in my pocket. Thank you very much.
  • Snowbird Ed 2010/10/24 02:20:52
    Snowbird
    +2
    We don't have that choice, but since they have your money, would you rather they keep it?
  • Ed Snowbird 2010/10/24 02:53:39
    Ed
    +2
    So are you suggesting I do like the left wing trash and collect unemployment illegally while I have held other jobs and or run a business?

Whenever I left a job, it was to move into a better one. When I lost a job I went out and got another one, even if it meant pumping gas. You see my parents were too proud to collect I grew up the same way. I rather work for my money than collect from a nanny state and I rather have the choice to keep the money I make in my pocket.
  • Snowbird Ed 2010/10/24 03:06:55
    Snowbird
    +1
    You didn't read too well did you?
    Do you have health insurance that you pay premiums for?
  • Ed Snowbird 2010/10/24 03:22:41
    Ed
    +1
    Sure I did, we were talking about unemployment benefits, you said "We don't have that choice," and asked "but since they have your money, would you rather they keep it?"
    And I answered with a question, "So are you suggesting I do like the left wing trash and collect unemployment illegally while I have held other jobs and or run a business?"

If you mean to say unemployment benefits is an insurance forced upon us by the government, we pay for it whether we like to or not whether we collect or not. That's fine, I still rather have kept all hey took from me.

Health insurance so far and probably till 2014 by choice yes, I choose to pay into it. What does that have to do with unemployment benefits contribution?
  • Snowbird Ed 2010/10/24 03:27:09
    Snowbird
    +2
    unemployment is insurance you have already paid the premiums for.
    you expect your health insurance to pay up when you need them, why not unemployment? Why let the govt keep your money?
  • Ed Snowbird 2010/10/24 03:32:55
    Ed
    +1
    OK I understand just fine you don't understand me. I will keep it simple.

1- I have gone from one job to another why should I collect unemployment I have always worked. Now I run a business.
    2- Unemployment benefits are forced, no choice. I'd rather have the choice not to pay into it and kept the money. It was my money they took from me.
    3- Health Insurance I pay into it because I want to. So far we have not been forced to do so.

I would much rather have the choice. I don't like the Government tell me what to do with my money.
  • Snowbird Ed 2010/10/24 03:43:28
    Snowbird
    +1
    You are fortunate that you have not had to collect unemployment. I don't care for the Govt telling me what to do with my money either. But I am unable to change that.
    But I do not think that people who do collect unemployment should be looked down upon. Yes there are those who would abuse the system, but that does not extend to everyone.
  • The Fro... Snowbird 2010/10/24 10:42:03
    The Frog Princess
    +3
    You can change the government on November 2nd. Think about it.
  • Snowbird The Fro... 2010/10/24 11:07:26
    Snowbird
    +3
    You cannot change what they are doing. I have watched it happen for over 60 year and it doesn't matter what party you vote in.
  • The Fro... Snowbird 2010/10/24 11:19:15
    The Frog Princess
    +3
    If people shake off their apathy, anything is possible. That's a concept this nation was founded on.
    +2
    I think you should get unemployment for as long as it takes you to get a job. I have been ACTIVELY looking since the end of January and I ALSO an taking Adult Ed to learn more Computer stuff.
  • Nikki 2010/10/23 17:02:26
    Nikki
    +3
    depends on the person's intentions..... you have some lazy asses whom lean on government assistant's just to skate through life,and other's who really need the help.. depends persons intentions lazy asses lean government assistants skate lifeand
  • C. C. Rider 2010/10/23 16:24:05
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    There is no one on unemployment that wants to stay on it. To present such a topic leads me to understand the subject to some who feel this way have no understanding of the issues at hand. Some very ignorant, vile and clueless people actually think this way. They have no facts to present other then vile contempt to bring harm to people already on desperation's door. Which is not surprising that the leaders in this cess pool are Republicans. I have been very lucky in not ever being on unemployment, but I can not say the same for many hard workers due to Bushim politics who no longer have a job....
  • The Fro... C. C. R... 2010/10/24 10:42:54
    The Frog Princess
    +1
    Prove your first sentence then we'll talk about it.
  • C. C. R... The Fro... 2010/10/24 10:56:14
    C. C. Rider
    Disprove it....you do your own homework lazy!!! Although if you just look around the facts are with me...all thu this blog. More people disagree with you then agree. AHH but nothing new there.
  • The Fro... C. C. R... 2010/10/24 10:57:43
    The Frog Princess
    I have a neighbor who is doing just that. There goes your " no one" statement. Get a grip on reality and try again.
  • C. C. R... The Fro... 2010/10/24 13:17:50
    C. C. Rider
    Gee, I have three friends who are not like that at all. uhh what kind of neighborHOOD are you in? What is their trailor lot number# lol...Have you approached them when Jerry Springer and Beck are off air to tell them there are jobs out there for them. You can not have two faces on this issue...out of one face you scream unemployement is SHY HIGH and then out of the other face you yell...my neighbors are slackers and there are jobs...ehhh....but it is the "con" mentalilty. In the case of my three neighbors they used unemployment incentives to further themselves...One went to school in the medical field and the other computers. Both are off unemployment now. The last one is still on unemployment but has heard the good news his Company is picking up business and he will be called back. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it is this way for every one, you your self have just given us an example of the type of neighbor hood you live in and what is going on there. But in .."getting a grip on reality" most or all will scramble to get off unemployement, it is a dead end road, other then your friends, who wants to follow that path? only "cons" oh wait ...let me guess....your friend is a "lib" LMAO!!!
  • The Fro... C. C. R... 2010/10/24 15:49:13
    The Frog Princess
    i'm sure you see the folly of your first sentence which makes people less likely to follow your train of thought.

2014/10/21 13:52:31