Are ear tunnels really that bad?

papa chobies 2012/01/11 02:11:27
they are extremely unprofessional and should be removed during work.
i see successful professionals wearing them all the time its no biggie.
I have had my ears "stretched" to a 00g hole and i know it's not that big in comparison to some others. but i am starting to have problem with day to day living. during some job interviews i have had employers tell me i am more than qualified for a job as a mechanic or field tech but they don't like the "big ass holes in my ears" in those words. i feel that they are even more unprofessional, when they speak about my personal decisions in that manner. we all make mistakes or bad choices, i just don't see mine as being that bad. What do you think?

• The River Rat 2012/01/11 02:16:54
    The River Rat
    +6
    If you want those jobs that you are applying for, you will have to meet the norms required by the people that are hiring you. You are giving an impression that you are outside the norms that they want to hire. You will have this problem as long as you think you need to be that different.

• Misse Ibrahimagic 2014/05/23 09:40:34
    Misse Ibrahimagic
    I personally have 18mm tunnels and when I'm at work I'd put plugs in the exact same colour as my skin in there and nobody who doesn't know about my tunnels has noticed them. I work as a marketing manager at a bigger company and nobody had a problem with it, although my employer was sceptical. But later he found out what kind of a person I am and everything was fine. People really should stop judging others by the way of their looks. They might pass a really good worker to competition companies, and all that just because they don't like the way they look.
  • papa chobies 2013/05/01 01:31:25 (edited)
    papa chobies
    I have come to realize this was a retarded question to ask, a year later, I am a Welder now, There never was a Problem with having body modifications, it was a life choice, with a life choice came a life change. that meant no more normal, boring jobs. now i send out bids for contracts and they don't see me they see my proven track record and even if i over charge or send high estimates they don't care they want my work because there are a million and a half "professional" job seekers, but only a handful of trades men. you may think of me as a day laborer, truth is I am more professional than any middle management or customer service Rep. will ever be. i cant say thanks enough for all the input, but I'm done with trying to find out what the average opinion is.
  • Badz Badzito 2013/04/11 17:05:51
    Badz Badzito
    I'm a customer service rep and I have ear tunnels. They're not really expecting you to come to office in proper business attire and well, "clean cut". What they do expect is that you do your job and do it well. And in my opinion, it's a good rule.
  • Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2012/01/12 02:14:53
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +1
    The only thing that bothers me is the smell. Some of my old workmates would scratch at them during work and it would send a reeking smell throughout the office. It's gross.
  • papa ch... Ruby De... 2012/01/18 04:02:27
    papa chobies
    thats just a nasty lack hygiene i do know what your talking about though. it can get rough. thanks for your input.
  • Ruby De... papa ch... 2012/01/18 06:50:52
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    I know people that clean them all the time, but when you're touching them multiple times a day they still build up a collection of oil and grit. Bellybutton piercings do the same thing, the only difference is you're not playing with it every day.
  • Misse I... Ruby De... 2014/05/23 09:44:31
    Misse Ibrahimagic
    +1
    Touching piercings all the time... not a good idea. It might get an infection from all the bacteria on their hands.
  • Misse I... Ruby De... 2014/05/23 09:43:29 (edited)
    Misse Ibrahimagic
    +3
    Ew, what the hell. If they can't take care of their tunnels then they shouldn't get them at all. I clean mines every day while taking a shower, it takes only 1-2 minutes to clean them. Really, how lazy must they be? lol
  • Vision of Verve 2012/01/12 00:15:54
  • La 2012/01/11 10:27:42
    La
    +2
    Either having something in them or having them as empty, gaping holes is bad. Either way, you look unemployable. Bad choice, bro.
  • ruru 2012/01/11 05:09:28
    ruru
    +2
    They are so ugly. It is the employers right to have a dress code for their employees.
  • Jo 2012/01/11 04:04:12
    Jo
    +2
    sorry to say, I dont see this one changing anytime soon:((
  • papa ch... Jo 2012/01/11 04:08:31
    papa chobies
    +1
    i know, it's scary. thanks for your input.
  • Jo papa ch... 2012/01/11 04:10:20
    Jo
    good luck, sweetie:))
  • Daniel 2012/01/11 03:14:36
    Daniel
    +4
    I wanted to hire a kid. I could've probably got past the tattoos which are unexceptable but not the giant holes in his ears. When you can't hide them you've done a really dumb thing.
  • papa ch... Daniel 2012/01/11 03:24:11
    papa chobies
    thanks for your answer, but wait.. how much different are tattoos from earrings? i can see that you would think there completely different, but its just another form of body modification. you will disagree with me on this, i know. but its a permanent change that can be revised if wanted. it's almost like getting a hair cut or growing facial hair. it's just the way a person wants to look. i can understand if it's to the point of becoming a distraction with a hole the size of a soda can but in the end i find your ideas to be a form of cultural discrimination. think about it.
  • Jo papa ch... 2012/01/11 03:57:08
    Jo
    +2
    if the tattoo can be hidden, theres the difference; if it cant, there IS no difference.
  • papa ch... Jo 2012/01/11 04:04:12
    papa chobies
    i fell like your reaching with the if. but then cant i just remove my earrings or I've even worn nude color plugs for church that are pretty much unnoticed.
  • Jo papa ch... 2012/01/11 04:05:50
    Jo
    +1
    hey, I would think employers would be ok with those:) but let me ask you: why do you feel the need to wear nude colored plugs for church?
  • Daniel papa ch... 2012/01/11 10:47:43
    Daniel
    My men aren't allowed to wear earrings at work. Believe it or not, some people don't think they're cool. They look immature on men. I know people will argue this and it doesn't matter what you and I think, what some customers think is what metters. Earring can at least be taken off for the day with little evidence as to them being there.
  • Misse I... Daniel 2014/05/23 09:45:29
    Misse Ibrahimagic
    +1
    Actually you CAN hide them with skin coloured silicone plugs.
  • Daniel Misse I... 2014/05/23 11:15:15
    Daniel
    You can't wear anything in your ears on our jobsites. Foolish move to put these things in your ears.
  • Quiet-is-feared 2012/01/11 02:48:10
    Quiet-is-feared
    +2
    I think, the Small size tunnels, are no big deal. They look cool :)
    but anything bigger then a marble, is getting a bit extreme.
  • papa ch... Quiet-i... 2012/01/11 02:57:30
    papa chobies
    +1
    thanks.
  • Typhoon 2012/01/11 02:39:57
    Typhoon
    +5
    While there are certain industries where this kind of thing is acceptable, or even approved of, most of the working world will not think that this is a good thing. For the people I hire, if you were a software developer and would never go in front of the customer, I'd have no problem with it. If, on the other hand, you were in a customer facing position, unless I was running a tattoo parlor or something counter-cultural, I would be more reluctant to hire someone with this sort of appearance. Customers want to feel confortable, and expect certain norms in terms of behavior and appearance. At the present point in time, does not fit that set of expectations.
  • papa ch... Typhoon 2012/01/11 02:55:44
    papa chobies
    thanks for your answer and i understand where your coming from, but if i was woman with the "shrimp style" earrings you would have no problem either way? i feel your thinking i fit the stereotypical grunge look witch is just not the case the only piercings i have are the earrings i do take them out for work but there is still a hole in my ear.
  • Typhoon papa ch... 2012/01/11 03:16:52
    Typhoon
    +4
    I implied no value judgement, just trying to represent the case as it is today in the business world. Excessive tattoos and piercings would elicit the same response, and for the same reasons.

I would not have the same favorable reactions with my customers if I were to have a ponytail. It's just a fact of life. For a certain job or industry, there are norms in appearance and behavior, and you violate them at your own risk.
  • papa ch... Typhoon 2012/01/11 03:34:27
    papa chobies
    so your saying cultural discrimination is understandable? and even though i have the training, education, understanding, and experience, the not normal holes in my ears makes me wrong for the job? well if that's the case then now that i'm a supervisor i'm going to tell all my techs that all tattoos have to be covered. at all times, and i'm never going to hire anyone with tattoos or allow them on my team.
  • Typhoon papa ch... 2012/01/11 03:50:09
    Typhoon
    +2
    What part of "if you were a software developer and would never go in front of the customer, I'd have no problem with it" from my earlier post did you not understand? As far as being wrong for the job, it depends on the job and the environment in which you perform that job. If you want to call the reaction of a customer to seeing someone with (what is to them) a jarring or uncomfortable appearance "cultural discrimination" that' your prerogative. Software developers and other tech types are known for a less formal, more relaxed or more counter-cultural style. Creative types in Hollywood or other places even more so. In other work environments, these same kinds of things that would be as successful. That being said, I have never had a job applicant come to me with ear piercings such as yours, or excessive tattoos or piercings. This is probably due to the fact that mosr of my potential hies come from the same (or similar) environment as my customers. And there are certainly industries or jobs where I would not fit in, and would probably alienate customers, based on my dress, appearance, language and age.

I am not going to tell you who you should or should not hire. I don't know your industry or client base. You will need to make those decisions if you are the hiring manager. Ideally we all want the best people to work for us. I was just trying to give you the perspective of my 30+ years in the work force.
  • Linnster papa ch... 2012/01/11 04:00:24
    Linnster
    +1
    Businesses have a right to set codes of dress and how you present yourself at work. If ear tunnels are against code, they have a right to refuse to hire you. My office require anyone with a tattoo to have it covered. It doesn't matter whether you work in the dupliclating department and never see anyone or you clean the bathrooms. Just as a matter of information, just what culture requires you to have ear tunnels?
  • Jo papa ch... 2012/01/11 04:02:33
    Jo
    he's saying that whether or not its understandable--or even fair, for that matter---is irrelevant; this is an issue that you will continue to face because, unfortuantely, thats just the way it is; its like dolls being marketed toward little girls and toy trucks being marketed to little boys; this is also a form of "discrimination", but one that is so deeply ingrained in our society that there just isnt any changing it; your dilema is the same thing. no matter what, employers arent going to be changing thier minds about this one.
  • papa ch... Jo 2013/05/01 01:42:49
    papa chobies
  • Daniel Typhoon 2012/01/11 03:30:02
    Daniel
    +5
    Kids today don't get it. They think people have to except them and some tell us it's discrimination. They just don't grasp they simply can't fill the position. I'm not going to lose my customers because some one wants to disfigure themselves.
  • Typhoon Daniel 2012/01/11 03:34:40
    Typhoon
    +3
    True, and some of it probably relates to the self-esteem stuff they have been fed throughout school. Most of the younger folks at the various OWS sites are another manifestation of this.
  • papa ch... Daniel 2012/01/11 03:51:16
    papa chobies
    wow "kids"? are kids not the future of america, are kids not your next customers, kids are going to determine what happens to your company. but i am not a kid and i will thank you to not refer to me as one again either. just because a person is younger than you dose not mean your allowed to be uncivil and disrespectful.
  • Daniel papa ch... 2012/01/11 11:02:54
    Daniel
    I was being disrespectful. I never looked at your age and my idea you were a kid was formed on your piercing. As I said above, many will see it as immaturity. Yes children are future customers but there will still be some who find it immature. My 17 year old son finds it immature. Everyones going to hire a clean cut young man without earing or tattoos, but it's not the same otherwise. A man who represents a company well tends to be paid better.
  • Duke----The Non Racist, Fun... 2012/01/11 02:27:16
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +3
    Well, you know the ole saying "Stupid is, as Stupid does" ?
  • papa ch... Duke---... 2012/01/11 02:46:49
    papa chobies
    +1
    i really don't follow, but thanks for your answer.
  • Zach Tool 2012/01/11 02:23:21
    Zach Tool
    +1
    what are ear tunnels
    the pic looks fine
  • papa ch... Zach Tool 2012/01/11 02:46:12
    papa chobies
    its pretty much whats in the pic thanks for your response. you can see mine in profile pic.

2014/10/24 20:33:45