Are Children Safe in Schools?

HonkyTonkWoman 2007/04/16 19:39:21
With today's shooting at Virginia Tech, are children safe in America's schools?

• larrycarter55 2007/04/25 16:35:17
    larrycarter55
    +5
    Children aren't safe anywhere anymore!! Not even in their own home. We live in a sick society now that has cast God out and we will pay the consequences

• Masatone 2010/12/13 22:45:20
    Masatone
    With teachers we get today, i dont think so. Sometimes the teachers push to it much where they do got insane. Instead of the causer everyone is the blame, is how murderers think.
  • michael Click 2009/08/28 19:27:31
    michael Click
    No, they're not safe, but I can tell you one simple thing that will make them safer... arm the teachers and make sure that they can shoot accurately!

OK, ok, maybe not ALL the teachers, but there needs to be someone on campus that can stop another shooting rampage. As long as schoolgrounds are declared to be "gun free zones" potential shooters know that there are lots and lots of unarmed victims available. Metal detectors won't stop a person willing to shoot the guard running it.
    Children are not safe in the schools. They are mixed in with gang members and gang wanna-be children. Camups police are not everywhere. Teachers are so burdened with onerous paperwork and behavior problems ffrom children who believe themselves to be privilidged to disrupt when ever they want to disrupt.
  • Attila 2009/04/14 06:46:31
    Attila
    not at all . it isn't new
  • Jackson 2009/03/25 20:49:53
    Jackson
    No and it will never be safe. We live in a free society and with any freedom there is the power to abuse that system. I was and currently am a Virginia Tech student, I was there that day. I can honestly say that if someone were to try and recreate that day they could. It is a horrible thing to say, but I would rather die then give up all of my freedoms to make the world "safe"
  • ladypuppylove 2009/03/19 19:47:07
    ladypuppylove
    NO and not only childrens seems like nobody is safe no where
  • zoemcrlover 2008/08/15 15:47:03
    zoemcrlover
    no...
    when i was at school!!!
    i used to get bullied all the time!!
    i was the number 1 victim fr them!!!
  • fireware0062 2008/07/21 22:49:37
    fireware0062
    no matter what, if it's not a gunman, it's the teachers!
  • Anouser 2008/05/22 07:35:30
    Anouser
    They're not safe anywhere.
  • Cheerleader<3 2008/04/22 00:41:14
    Cheerleader<3
    At my elementary school(long time...i think i can remember) third grade... I got on my bus, and these two dads ON SCHOOL GROUNDS!... started fighting the one pulled out a knife and (how do i say this) well it LOOKED like the fat 1(w/ da knife) shoved it in the back of the skinny dude's head... I think they r both in jail 4 having weapons on school grounds...(for HALLOWEEN we weren't even allowed to bring in blow up swords...the ones that pop if they hit the ground... pretty WEIRD distric!)
  • xXxMasscre 2008/04/22 00:28:52
    xXxMasscre
    idk
    i guess so exept for when i make out but i dont get naked so thats not that bad
    and i go 2 a privite school so i mean not that much can go wrong
  • di 2008/02/28 23:27:57
    di
    Children aren't safe anywhere anymore. My nephew at age four, now twenty four, was taken by a pedifile right off the front porch. Luckily someone led the police to him in time.
  • Rosalie 2008/02/27 08:19:51
    Rosalie
    NO,NO,NO........
  • cecilia 2008/02/24 03:39:57
    cecilia
    children are not safe in school these days

a month ago a girl took a nife to school and was gonna kill somebody she isnt in jail or juvi but she is in a mental place!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Maria 2007/11/26 12:44:36
    Maria
    if numbers has been raise then time to change into home schooling. safe than sorry.
  • Psh. Danielle 2007/11/04 15:47:10
    Psh. Danielle
    Children or anyone alone is NEVER safe.
  • MissPick 2007/09/09 06:34:23
    MissPick
    Too many parents today believe that their child isn't "one of those" that would ever bring one of the families guns into school. Denial by parents today is at a record high. "Not MY child!" "My child would NEVER do that!" "My child KNOWS better than to bring a weapon to school!" Guess what? Your child DOESN'T know! That's why every parent of every offender has screamed those exact words! Smarten up!! It's not everyone elses kid who's responsible. Parents don't want to thought of as bad because their child made a terrible decision. Every kid is capable of being an idiot. Yours is no different. And I'll be a million dollars right now there will be people who read this and say, "Not MY child!" You're wrong and if you believe your child isn't capable, you're stupid.
  • AngelEyes 2007/08/29 17:40:53
    AngelEyes
    thats a tough one, cause anymore, all you have to do is piss one of them off, they go gets daddys gun, thinking they are tough and cool, and then the inocent gets hurt. Are we really safe anywhere we go, you can't even go shopping anymore without having to look over your shoulder for some purse snatcher, or leave your doors unlocked for car jackers, so where are we safe at.
  • <--That guy 2007/07/31 21:21:24
    <--That guy
    Well, I can tell you this. If we try to crack down and make the schools safer, the kids are going to not be onboard with the idea. I remember going to school after what happened at Columbine, and I thought school sucked before.
    Things happen, and it's sad that they do. But instead of turning the school into a prison and punishing kids who haven't done anything, the schools ought to, for once, get serious about not tolerating bullying. As a kid who got picked on a lot in school, I always felt alone. I tried going to the teachers for help, but in the end, I was sent to the school counselor's office because the other kids were worried that I might be depressed. Mind you, these kids who turned me in were the same ones who made fun of me, and threatened to kick my ass on a daily basis. After the couselor thought I was the one to blame for not trying to get along with them, I lost all faith in my teachers.
  • Valkyries "In God We Trust" 2007/07/17 14:31:55
    Valkyries "In God We Trust"
    +1
    We live a sick and disturbing world. Life is a crap shoot. I don't think there is any place where someone is truly safe.
  • 5nowdog5 2007/07/17 03:36:08
    5nowdog5
    I don't know... at my old school we were cuz they had all like equipment and stuff and besides, the school from K-8th grade had 32 kids in it, but oh there was a seventh grader that slapped the principal! hehe yah safe
  • Chell 2007/07/12 17:16:27
    Chell
    I think in a way they are and in a way they aren`t because any day at anytime somethin in a science lab could go wrong and explode or something and kill your children. But also they could be in danger and it not be safe at hom eto because if they`re parents worked it wouldn`t be safe to be home alone and if they had a babysitter that the babysitter could be a bad one hurting your kids or the babysitter could acciedently explode or start a fire. Another words it is not safe either way but children do need an education and the school could make a better security system with guns and break in and wepons at school.
  • breath4soul 2007/06/12 08:07:30
    breath4soul
    Physical and mental violence in public school is an every day reality for kids. I was in high school only a decade ago and it seemed so innocent compared to today though there was quite a lot of sex and drugs like alcohol and weed. My class was under 100 kids. In my small town by my senior year we had already began to have gangs in the lower grades. The school had a higher turnover in teachers in administration which created less of a community. For most students of public school the biggest worry is not academics by far, it is social and physical. That is where their effort is expended.
  • alcatraz 2007/05/26 01:38:16
    alcatraz
    EVEN WITH METAL DETECTORS,CAMPUS POLICE,CAMERAS EVERY WHERE HOW SAFE WERE THOSE STUDENTS AT VIRGINIA TECH,I MEAN THE GUY WENT TO THE POST OFFICE MAILED A LARGE BROWN ENVELOPE TO (NBC) AND CAME BACK WHAT TWO HOURS LATER AND COMMITTED THE WORST OF HIS SHOOTING SPREE THAN SO WHAT DO YOU THINK WHEN U ASK THIS QUESTION,IT WAS A GOOD QUESTION BUT IT ALSO ANSWERS ITSELF AS WELL.
  • Patrick 2007/05/20 01:33:02
    Patrick
    Children are not safe anywhere. None of us are. Bad things happen to good people. Driving the kid to school is probely the most dangerous time of day for the kid, or driving home.
  • Linda 2007/05/16 22:27:56
    Linda
    are we safe anywhere, really?
  • byebye ,I love you,gotta go 2007/05/08 14:44:34
    byebye ,I love you,gotta go
    +2
    no i don't think children are safe anywhere! you worry about them on the school bu stop in the schools out playing etc. my oldest granddaughter is practically afraid of everything because you have to warn children about soooo much bad and how to be safe not to trust people! its crazy
  • jackror... byebye ... 2007/05/08 15:23:06
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    It is so sad that our society has come to this. My father has talked
    about the 1950's when you just left your house unlocked and you knew
    that nothing would happen to your stuff.
  • mrpurrfect 2007/05/06 01:06:43
    mrpurrfect
    They are more safe in school than anywhere else. It may sound like a lot of kids are killed at school, and one is too many, but if you look at the real numbers it is very safe.
  • MAGGIE IRISH EYES 2007/05/03 22:16:26
    MAGGIE IRISH EYES
    Of course, they are not safe. Look at the statistics of how many school shootings have taken place. Yet, some people want to take "God" out of the Pledge Allegiance. Our children need as much "God" in their lives as possible, especially at school.
  • Kim 2007/05/02 19:04:18
    Kim
    +1
    We as parents worry about the safety of our children.For the schools not to be safe for them is a major issue that needs to be dealt with.Get metal detectors,officers at the schools what ever it takes to protect them.
  • jackrorabbit 2007/05/01 02:29:32
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    There is no "safe zone" to be in. Look at the high school that was hit
    by a tonado not too long ago and killed a few kids. That was the
    community shelter in case of a tonado for those in moble homes. We do
    the best that we can with what we have, and pray that our kids will be
    safe. If someone is willing to attack an amish school, then there are
    no limits in our society.
  • debra 2007/04/30 14:54:00
    debra
    +2
    IF WE DON'T START GETTING MORE SPIRITUAL TRAINING IN OUR SCHOOLS THEY WILL JUST GET WORSE AND WORSE....LOOK AT THE POLE QUESTION ABOUT POLICE IN HOUSTON DEALING WITH DEMONS..SATAN AND HIS ATTACKS ARE VERY REAL..AND ONLY JESUS CHRIST IS THE ANSWER TO FIGHT AGAINST HIM
  • cat lady 2007/04/29 01:17:37
    cat lady
    unfortunately,they need to have metal detectors& alarms that go off if someone tries to come in once the students are all in
  • JESTER 2007/04/28 23:52:25
    JESTER
    My son is a sophomore at a high school in Las Vegas. I worry about him all the time. Everyday we hear about guns and knives being brought into schools I don't know what the answer is
  • larrycarter55 2007/04/25 16:35:17
    larrycarter55
    +5
  • HonkyTo... larryca... 2007/04/25 18:18:57
    HonkyTonkWoman
    +2
    Yes! These anti american leftist liberals wont to take GOD out of schools and politics. People this country was founded by Christians for GODs sake!!!
  • Anouser larryca... 2008/05/22 07:31:35
    Anouser
    I don't believe that it's because society has casted God out; however, if God is within you or at least "you" haven't casted him out, you shouldn't be effected by the demons of this world, correct?
  • kimberly 2007/04/21 12:27:53
    kimberly
    +1
    Because our society cherishes our children we do take steps to cover "known" or "speculated" hazards -- who could have imagined this one?

Maybe a Military Base could expect this kind of rampage -- but a school could not.. At the time anyway -- Now I am sure psych and other information about students will be processed through the campus police/administration -- and new policys en-acted.

our campus's will stand up and protect our futures :)
  • Uncle 2007/04/19 17:45:44
    Uncle
    Safe depends on from what??? STD's maybe....Drugs.....Maybe....Orgies....NO.......Alcoho... No....out of the country students getting better grants or having a leg up....NO Save our children keep the illegal immigrants out....Send the others back!!!

2014/11/29 01:27:59