Are bath-time photos child pornography?

Angie 2009/09/21 21:43:57
Taking bath-time photos is inappopriate, if not child pornography.
Almost every family has bath-time photos. The Demarees were treated absolutely unfairly.
I think that...
Here's a case of a legal nightmare for innocent parents. A.J. and Lisa Demaree went to Wal-Mart to get some photos printed. Some of the pictures were of their three daughters, all under 5 years old, partially nude in a bathtub. Before they knew it, the police were called and Child Protective Services searched their home and took the Demarees' children away. A.J. and Lisa Demaree were put on the sex offender registry, not to mention the damage to their professional careers. Eventually, after $75,000 in legal bills, the Demarees were cleared of all charges and had their children returned. But gosh, what a terrible ordeal! You better believe a lawsuit is on its way!

The Demarees' lawyer released this photo as an example of the innocent nature of the photos being taken the wrong way.

ordeal lawsuit demarees lawyer released photo innocent nature photos wrong

• Raindropkitten™~the author ... 2009/09/22 02:42:42
    Almost every family has bath-time photos. The Demarees were treated absolutel...
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +14
    I take photos of my two year old playing in the bathtub. I also have a video of it. Does that make me a child pornographer as well!? This is ridiculous. That man at wal-mart has a sick mind to even leap to the conclusions of child pornography!

• Bun 2009/09/22 21:48:32
    I think that...
    Bun
    It depends.
  • michelle 2009/09/22 21:45:59
    michelle
    Geez, I wonder if technically I can get into trouble for owning pictures of myself as a baby taking a bath?
  • The Roses Thorn 2009/09/22 21:38:13 (edited)
    The Roses Thorn
    If a guy gets excited when a kid takes bath..
    Daamn.. Then ur a freak who needs to be locked up..

My mom has video and pictures of me when I am taking a bath as a kid.. Does that make my kind and loving mom, who just want memories of my childhood a criminal?
    Is this question even serious?
    Teehee.. Answered wrong :P

mom video pictures bath kid loving mom memories childhood criminal
  • mrs awesome face 2009/09/22 21:15:05
    mrs awesome face
    i absolutley HATE people who make such big deals and take it to extreme levels out of little basic things
  • aherbert 2009/09/22 20:45:36 (edited)
    aherbert
    +1
    This is horrible ... this is what happen when one think sense is common. The management should have handled the situation better ... the police did not do any investigation.... they all made a judgement ... and that poor family was apart for a while. That is imaginable....
  • Bienven... aherbert 2009/09/22 23:15:22
    BienvenuJDC
    I agree with you.
  • irishgurl639 2009/09/22 20:14:26
    I think that...
    irishgurl639
    +1
    It all depends on the way the photos were taken.
  • dmurray05 2009/09/22 20:07:43
    dmurray05
    +1
    i have 5 grown and i took pics of at bath time separately of course, it is normal part of remembering them growing up. but do not take pics of them after a certain age,lets say 3 years old
  • Hope & ... dmurray05 2009/09/23 13:35:42
    Hope & Love
    hahaha...now that I agree on....
  • stewbie 2009/09/22 19:51:58
    stewbie
    +2
    Walmart needs to pay the legal fees.
  • Bienven... stewbie 2009/09/22 23:16:30
    BienvenuJDC
    Actually I think that the State officials need to take responsibility for handling the situation irresponsibly.
  • Qute Pi 2009/09/22 19:51:41
    Qute Pi
    +3
    I think its disappointing that something so innocent has turned into something so sinister...
  • Live_for_music 2009/09/22 19:44:11
    Live_for_music
    +2
    My mom has a crap load of bath time photos... I think its some of the funniest pics of babies because you get them playing with their toys, and they always have the biggest smiles on their faces... I think its fine
  • ricky 2009/09/22 19:38:20
    ricky
    omg! if they think this is pornography--does that mean it's affecting them in some way? sick...
  • JususKid10 2009/09/22 19:12:02
    I think that...
    JususKid10
    +3
    There is nothing wrong with adoring a naked baby.
  • big di JususKid10 2009/09/22 22:21:15
    big di
    +1
    Check out some of the most famous paintings of the baby Jesus with his mother Mary - in a substantial number of the them, Jesus is wearing little more than a HALO! Does this make those Renaissance painters pornographers?
  • Helo Chick 2009/09/22 19:10:13
    Helo Chick
    +4
    Sadly, the person working at walmart developing the photos may be a blooming pedophile. They could be making extra copies and selling them to people that are pedophiles. We have to be extra carefull in our world of technology. I have pics of my oldest in the bath tub, then a CVS up the road found out a photo tech was selling pictures that he developed. Sad but true. There are a lot of creeps out there, but the pics taken by this family were not mean't to be seen in a porngraphic nature, so they shouldn't suffer.
  • Hope & ... Helo Chick 2009/09/23 13:34:12
    Hope & Love
    +1
    yours is a scary, scary story!!!
  • Helo Chick Hope & ... 2009/09/23 14:11:26
    Helo Chick
    +1
    It could happen to anyone. After that I saved my film camera for my nature photos and we got a digital for family pics. I was really creeped out.
  • Hope & ... Helo Chick 2009/09/23 14:14:25
    Hope & Love
    +1
    I can't even imagine! how twisted!
  • Helo Chick Hope & ... 2009/09/23 14:16:54
    Helo Chick
    +1
    I know. There are some twisted people out there. Most people think, "that'll never happen to me". I used to be one of those people.
  • Hope & ... Helo Chick 2009/09/23 14:20:15
    Hope & Love
    +1
    I know sicko's lurk in the darkest of shadows
  • Helo Chick Hope & ... 2009/09/23 14:32:20
    Helo Chick
    +1
    The real sick ones are out in broad daylight. They don't hide what they do, because either they think they aren't doing anything wrong, or they think they'll never get caught. I don't trust anyone anymore. I try not to let fear run my life, but I know that if someone were to physically harm my kids, they would wish they were never born, they'd better hope the cops get them before I do.
  • Hope & ... Helo Chick 2009/09/23 14:41:21
    Hope & Love
    +1
    That is true as well, guess all the freaks don't need the darkness!!! The ones that do it in plain site are worst kind, cause, like you said, they don't think that they'll ever get caught!
  • BIG DADDY MAC 2009/09/22 19:08:05
    I think that...
    BIG DADDY MAC
    +4
    I think Wal-Mart should give the family that particular store and tons of money.....Then they could get the individuals that turned them in to clean toilets for the rest of there lives~!
  • Bienven... BIG DAD... 2009/09/22 23:17:07
    BienvenuJDC
    +1
  • Diablosniper 2009/09/22 19:06:38
    Diablosniper
    +4
    That is just stupid. This country has made us afraid to do anything. You call this freedom. My parents have bathtub baby pics of me and my sis. They are just memories.
  • Hope & Love 2009/09/22 19:05:00 (edited)
    I think that...
    Hope & Love
    +3
    the idiot fu**ers working at walmart should have to pay the $75,000 fines..what bullshit!!! when my kids were smaller, i took pictures of them in the tub, it was their favorite part of the day!

Does that make me some kind of sicko! NO!!! There is nothing in that pic above that should be deemed inappropriate....poor family, not only to have to come up with that much money, but to loose their children! Thank God they got them back!

OMG! what the hell is this world coming too??? 60,000 people praying in NYC, you never hear about that! Now, a poll-dancing toy doll...OMG.....and now THIS!!!!! And I just read the article again, they are actually on the sex offender registry? WHY??? They were CLEARED of all charges!!!! WTF, no wonder I drink!!!
  • Bienven... Hope & ... 2009/09/22 23:18:01
    BienvenuJDC
    +1
    Actually I think that the State officials need to take responsibility for handling the situation irresponsibly. Wal-Mart merely reported the pictures...it was the State who was wrong.
  • Hope & ... Bienven... 2009/09/23 13:32:35
    Hope & Love
    Yes, Bienvenu, you have a very valid point, but what I cannot understand is why would someone look at a pictures of children playing in the tub as "child pornography" in the first place? I mean, it had to start somewhere, and the workers at Wal-Mart were the ones that started this horrific mess. More shots of the photos plus the couples ordeal can be found at: http://www.parentdish.com/200... where there is a one-minute or so video of the story from Good Morning America.

The pics were not sexually suggestive, as the girls were wrapped in towels for the most part. I mean, pics of kids in the tub are as old as the invention of the camera itself. I believe the average person can tell kiddie-porn from family photos. You have to ask yourself, what was THIS clerks state of mind when he/she saw the photos? idk...!

But an innocent family has been put through criminal, physiological and financial hell for a few innocent "bathtub" fun family pics. I do see your side, but Wal-Mart needs to step up and take some responsibility for this horrible ordeal as well, maybe not through a lawsuit, but definitely some additional training for their photo clerks!

The mother, as it shows in the video, is on suspension for a YEAR from her job as a teacher, and they both were placed on a sex offender ...

The mother, as it shows in the video, is on suspension for a YEAR from her job as a teacher, and they both were placed on a sex offender registry...the person at Wal-Mart might have THOUGHT that they did the right thing, but miserably failed, especially if he/she did not go through the correct chain of command in this instance, notifying supervisors, store owners, whatever. I don't know if the clerk did as they were supposed to or took it on themselves to call authorities once they saw the pics.

And further to your statement YES - the state acted very irresponsibly for not investigating the matter prior to jerking those kids away from their parents.

All failed, lesson learned, don't get your digital prints at Wal-Mart, you could go to jail!

(as you can tell, I was just a bit on edge yesterday!!! LOL!)
  • Bienven... Hope & ... 2009/09/23 13:41:54
    BienvenuJDC
    Yes...I agree with you totally. I would imagine that there is a rule that the workers are to follow (those workers that get paid $8.50 an hour). There is probably a big legal whoop-ta-doo that requires them to report any and all...just to cover their butts (would you leave it up to the judgment of ANY of your workers...or would you make a blanket/safe cover all rule).

The so-called experts that should have dismissed this case immediately work for the State (or local government). Those individuals (and their bosses) should 1) lose their jobs, 2) hold responsibility for ALL legal expenses, 3) hold responsibility for any counter suit, 4) AND apologize to the family. (I'm still thinking about the 50 lashes)
  • Little Tina 2009/09/22 19:01:49
    Little Tina
    +3
    I have plenty of bathtime photos of my kids...they are all grown now. It is a shame that it has come to this because of all the perversions out there. I hope this family recoups their legal fees and then some in the lawsuit
  • PurpleAshes 2009/09/22 18:57:23
    PurpleAshes
    +12
    Every parent has bathtime pictures. C'mon. And if you're look at these pictures and consider them pornography, then maybe you're the one who should be put on the sex offender registry.
  • Dan 2009/09/22 18:53:19 (edited)
    Dan
    +3
    Only sick minds would think this is pornography. Babies are the ONLY time in life when people are innocent. After that, they are accountable for the things they do. There is NO exploitation of this (baby photos), except by perverts.
  • 아만다 ♥ AMANDA 2009/09/22 18:49:18
    I think that...
    아만다 ♥ AMANDA
    +1
    It depends on the type of photo.

The photos that were shown for this family don't even look bad. They just look normal. People take photos of their kids doing the most random things.

Heck when I was a small kid... about 3 years old... I had a little tiny pool and just played in it with panties on... Mom took pics of me... but there was nothing bad about it. I wasn't totally naked. I was having fun.

I think if those pics are considered bad then a lot of people would be in trouble by now... I have seen pics of bare bottoms and naked babies on myspace. Nobody has gotten into trouble. I worry about some of my friends though that they would put their baby up there like that.
  • big di 아만다 ♥ A... 2009/09/22 22:25:16
    big di
    And then there's that classic Coppertone ad (the one Jodie Foster posed for) with the little bare-bottomed girl. I cannot imagine how many tragic traffic accidents were caused by pervs driving on the freeway and seeing that sick, twisted picture. Too bad one cannot drive and beat off at the same time - oh, the horror!
  • 아만다 ♥ A... big di 2009/09/24 08:41:06
    아만다 ♥ AMANDA
    haha WOW.

I never thought about the little bottles... I wonder what else these days has half naked kids on it for advertisement.
  • SherryCummings 2009/09/22 18:38:42
    SherryCummings
    +3
    Alot of people take bath time photos... It's not pornography!! WTF...
  • dd 2009/09/22 18:22:05
    dd
    I mean as kids we don't know what to do when we're in the restroom and somebody's comin at you with a camera...come on and then they're used to scare possible loves of our life child pornography kids restroom somebodys comin camera scare loves life away
  • Qute Pi dd 2009/09/22 19:54:16
    Qute Pi
    I totally don't understand your post. Most kids say "cheese"...

2014/09/20 18:08:27