Are bath-time photos child pornography?

Angie 2009/09/21 21:43:57
Taking bath-time photos is inappopriate, if not child pornography.
Almost every family has bath-time photos. The Demarees were treated absolutely unfairly.
I think that...
Here's a case of a legal nightmare for innocent parents. A.J. and Lisa Demaree went to Wal-Mart to get some photos printed. Some of the pictures were of their three daughters, all under 5 years old, partially nude in a bathtub. Before they knew it, the police were called and Child Protective Services searched their home and took the Demarees' children away. A.J. and Lisa Demaree were put on the sex offender registry, not to mention the damage to their professional careers. Eventually, after $75,000 in legal bills, the Demarees were cleared of all charges and had their children returned. But gosh, what a terrible ordeal! You better believe a lawsuit is on its way!

The Demarees' lawyer released this photo as an example of the innocent nature of the photos being taken the wrong way.

ordeal lawsuit demarees lawyer released photo innocent nature photos wrong

• Raindropkitten™~the author ... 2009/09/22 02:42:42
    Almost every family has bath-time photos. The Demarees were treated absolutel...
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +14
    I take photos of my two year old playing in the bathtub. I also have a video of it. Does that make me a child pornographer as well!? This is ridiculous. That man at wal-mart has a sick mind to even leap to the conclusions of child pornography!

• T. James H 2013/02/07 07:00:02
  • Glenn Mitchell 2012/03/23 14:02:12
    I think that...
    Glenn Mitchell
    If all the facts to be known are presented here this was an over reaction.
  • DemonChild 2012/03/20 01:05:18
    DemonChild
    Well why would you share them!
  • SilveryRow 2012/03/19 14:26:03
    SilveryRow
    Though I really wish they didn't.
  • Dawn 2012/03/19 13:39:58
    I think that...
    Dawn
    I'm in-between. Almost every family has bath-time photos, or pictures of their kids in diapers or without a shirt, and parents are just snapping pictures because aww, look, Chris is sitting in the toilet or Anna is lost in a sea of bubbles BUT I think it's a bit inappropriate but it's not PORN. There are sick people out there who would use innocent pics as their porn, and to avoid it and cases like these all together, just don't take pictures of kids in baths.
    Yes, the family was treated a bit unfairly- especially when they learned that it was their kids in the tub, but think about it. Someone brings in their film to be developed, you know nothing about them, you don't know if they have kids or not, and you find the pictures are kids naked in the tub. Even if they're their children or not, there are some sick puppies out there that prey on their own children.
    It was a legal nightmare, but with all the predators there are today I think it is better safe than sorry.
  • Red Rose 2012/03/19 10:20:07
    Red Rose
    It is awkward for the people who have to develope photos like that and make those decisions. It clearly says on signs in those places that you cannot submit even partially nude pictures for development. That being said, this case was taken way too far. I think a warning would have been sufficient.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/03/19 07:44:07
    I think that...
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    stupid laws make more criminals
    and the shoe fits...
  • Caedus01 Sith Lord of the P... 2012/03/19 06:27:31
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    Uh oh I'd better call my mom and have her get rid of the pics she has of me taking a bath as a child. She might be arrested. C'mon.... unclench
  • TuringsChild 2012/03/19 04:08:21
    TuringsChild
    When I was a kid it was considered CUTE to take a pic of your kid on a 'bearskin rug'. The idea was to kiddingly embarrass them some 15 years later. It was never about pornography. CPS was WAY out of line here, as is our incredibly PC society. BACK OFF! It's stupid to destroy people over innocent stuff like this.
  • smilinbobs 2012/03/19 00:55:42
    smilinbobs
    +1
    This is what happens when Government gets too big. They take everything that needs a little regulation to a degree of insanity. We all understand that child porn should be illegal but if there is no sexual behavior, nudity should not be criminal. That is crazy
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/03/18 23:20:34
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    Welcome to Nanny Government, hope you like it.

Use a digital camera and buy a printer. Be careful who you show photos to.
  • susan BN-0 2012/03/18 23:05:46
    susan BN-0
    I don't have bath time pictures of my kids,but my mom had some from when I was a child and her mom had pictures of her when she was a child.I hated that my mom had pictures of me In the bathtub It was embarrassing and that Is why I decided to not take those kind of pictures of my kids,not because I think It's wrong but because I figured they might not like It.
  • Ramon 2012/03/18 21:36:07 (edited)
    Ramon
    +1
    People don't use common sense....I can understand that a Wal-Mart worker might not have the sense that God gave a doughnut, but the police and judges should be a little smarter.
  • Sinpac 2012/03/18 20:37:07
    I think that...
    Sinpac
    +1
    It a bunch of crap. Just like walmart censorship with music
  • Pops 2012/03/18 20:31:57
    I think that...
    Pops
    +1
    People need to use there heads. These pics aren't bad !
  • Nonpartisan 2012/03/18 20:20:23
    Nonpartisan
    +2
    The "law" has turned us into a nation of "perverts" who find something Perverted in almost anything. If I recall some of the photos of myself and my sister are "bath" photos and important parts of the family album which NOBODY has ever thought were anything but cute. The "Legal" system cost them a large fortune, and I would hope that they would at least get that paid back, which would unfortunately be at the Tax Payers expense, and not the perverts who started the whole mess in the first place.

I had to spend over 8 years of my life and over a quarter of a million dollars trying to get the courts to slap the hands of several people who stole two of my airplanes and in that process I learned how badly the courts and "Legal" system are structured and run. My case is still not over and I have not a prayer of getting any thing back, or even any satisfaction from the "legal" system.
  • Marine 2012/03/18 19:07:03
    Marine
    +1
    I've plenty of bath-pictures with my parents and brothers...it's not child-pornography. It's family souvenirs. However, I think it becomes child-pornography if you make it available on the interned (which was not the case here).
  • Wonder Woman 2012/03/18 18:55:41
  • Manster 2012/03/18 18:54:50
    I think that...
    Manster
    +1
    It depends on the perspective of the photographer and the viewer of the photographs,unfortunately! One person might look at them and see cuteness, another could look at it and think weird things!
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/03/18 18:25:53 (edited)
    I think that...
    **StarzAbove**
    +2
    No, they are sweet memories of when my kids were small. All of my photos are of them in the bathtub full of soapsuds. So cute.
  • Batman 2012/03/18 17:14:09
    Batman
    +3
    I hope justice prevails
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/03/18 17:12:37
    I think that...
    ✞Knight of Honor
    It depends on the picture. The one you posted isn't child pornography, but without the bubbles, it would be.
  • Dave Th... ✞Knight... 2012/03/24 01:33:36
    Dave The Canuck
    No, with or without the bubbles, it would just be a picture of a kid in the bath.
  • ✞Knight... Dave Th... 2012/03/26 02:04:29
    ✞Knight of Honor
    Unfortunately there are sick freaks out there that would look at pictures without bubbles for perverted means.
    +5
    Took them of my kids and never thought of them as porn, this insane PCBS is getting stupid. Those poor people having to go through all the pain and costing them $75K on top of it.
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2012/03/18 16:45:20
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +4
    Unfortunately, we all have to think things through, by projecting into the future and considering how others will judge us, when it comes to raising our kiddos. The government and many religious zealots are here to 'help' us do what is right and correct everything they perceive as wrong.

This type of issue started to become a big deal in the 90's when my kids were little. Innocent people started getting pulled in with the dragnet that doesn't catch 100% of pedophiles that would document their crimes and circulate child pornography.

We have bath time photos from when the kids were little but as soon as I heard about this type of thing on the news, I refrained from taking anymore. It seems easy to discern, to me, that family photos are much, much different than child pornography but, honestly, with all the prevs out there, I'd just as soon not have photos of my children that these freaks might like to get their hands on.

I also let my kids decide what photos, of the literally thousands I have, bath time or not, that they wanted removed from my collection. It's their privacy I don't want to violate.

I think this family had to endure a nightmare. Punitive damages are warranted.
  • cupcakes 2012/03/18 16:31:34
    cupcakes
    I WISH IT WAS THOUGH THANX TO MY EMBARRASSING PARENTS
  • Lorelei Lee 2012/03/18 16:23:12
    Lorelei Lee
    +2
    In a way I can see why Wal-Mart did what they did. You wouldn't believe how many people I see on the evening news every night getting arrested for sex or abuse crimes against children. Now days you can't take any kind of pictures of your or someone else's kids without someone taking it out of context. The times we live in now have changed a lot. More so people's behavior toward other people changed.
  • Garciataria 2012/03/18 15:43:00
    Garciataria
    +4
    Next they're going to be arrested for exploiting their children simply while dressing them up.
  • wtxwoman 2012/03/18 15:40:33
    wtxwoman
    +4
    The Demarees should sue Wal-mart, the police, and the clerk who reported them. The child porn laws were put in place for serious offences, not innocent familys taking pictures!
  • Maci 2012/03/18 15:39:20
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2012/03/18 15:31:51
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +4
    I pity any child involved with the CPS. This is ludicrous!
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/03/18 14:58:47 (edited)
    I think that...
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    It's okay as long as it doesn't go too far and too much is uncovered and the pictures aren't circulated, in a family album it's okay. If you send it to lots of people, that is not good.
  • Tony 2012/03/18 14:57:43
    Tony
    +3
    I think these little girls' college tuitions are going to be paid for very soon.
  • wtxwoman Tony 2012/03/18 15:41:45
    wtxwoman
    +1
    I hope so. I'd be madder than a wet hen if it was me and I wouldn't take it lying down.
  • Tony wtxwoman 2012/03/18 16:03:53
    Tony
    +2
    I'd probably own most of Wal-Mart by the time I was done. *LOL*
  • ScoutLdr 2012/03/18 14:57:31
    ScoutLdr
    +1
    No, not all bath photos are child pornography, but some child porn pictures are take in bathtubs. The point is here is people must use reason and discretion. As Aristotle said, "Law is mind without reason." The Police and CPS should have take an a more deliberate approach and not have drawing conclusions before the investigation was completed.
  • dear•LT13☻ 2012/03/18 14:11:55
    dear•LT13☻
    +3
    obviously we live in a new age and time where EVERYTHING is child pornography now - Parents should realize this danger. Besides the fact no Adult wants to see themselves in the bath as a child!
  • Dave Th... dear•LT13☻ 2012/03/18 18:02:57
    Dave The Canuck
    +2
    I have no problem seeing my bath pictures from when I was a kid and I'm 24 years old.
  • Nonpart... Dave Th... 2012/03/18 20:28:07
    Nonpartisan
    +1
    I am 66 and I have no problem with those old pictures, which are a treasured part of the family album. Only perverts would even think that they were a problem.

2014/10/20 23:13:21