Are Americans Ruder Than They Used To Be?

The magic words ("please," "thank you," and "you’re welcome") may be going out of fashion. But does that necessarily mean that Americans are getting ruder?

These days, it has become increasingly common to hear phrases like “sure,” “no problem,” “you bet,” and “enjoy” replace the traditional “you’re welcome.” In place of “thank you” people now say “got it,” “have a good one,” or sometimes nothing at all. “I’m good” has taken over the domain of the more formal “no, thank you.”

A recent NPR story examined this trend and posed some interesting questions: “Are we just finding new ways to say old, polite phrases? Are good manners merely morphing? Or are they fading away altogether?”

Lisa Gache, co-founder of Beverly Hills Manners, is troubled by this shift in American colloquialisms. "The slow erosion of the 'magic words' in our everyday vernacular has to do with the predilection toward all things casual in our society today. Casual conversation, casual dress, and casual behavior have hijacked practically all areas of life, and I do not think it is doing anyone a service," she said.

However, Cindy Post Senning, granddaughter of etiquette maven Emily Post and a director of the Emily Post Institute, believes that the principles of respect, consideration, and honesty are more important than the actual words used.

“It is respectful to make requests rather than demands, to show gratitude and appreciation, to greet others, to give our complete attention, to acknowledge appreciation shown, to acknowledge and show respect for age, standing, importance," she said.

Yet, she went on to explain that manners evolve over time and vary from culture to culture. In some cases, it may even be impolite to use outdated phrases. Senning explained, "Today it would sound a little stilted and perhaps even disrespectful if a sarcastic tone is used to say 'How do you do?'"

Words and phrases certainly aren’t the only elements of polite behavior. However, the shift away from traditional manners may be indicative of a larger trend. In 2011, a Rasmussen Reports poll revealed that 76% of respondents believed that Americans were “becoming more rude and less civil.” (Don’t even get us started on cell phone etiquette!)

What do you think SodaHeads? Are Americans ruder than they used to be?

Read More: http://www.npr.org/2012/03/09/148295675/please-rea...

• Krissy smitty 2012/03/20 17:13:22
    Krissy
    So you claim to not be rude while handing out rudeness in return? You, sir, are a hypocrite.
  • smitty Krissy 2012/03/20 17:43:12
    smitty
    Ha! wait Ha! Please read my above post.

Here I will quote it for you.. "So I guess I can be rude and polite.." I guess I did not claim not to be rude. Some people may call it rude.. that's fine. If someone is rude to me, I respond in kind. Play nice and I play nice.
  • Jordache 2012/03/19 21:11:19
    Jordache
    +2
    Hell yes. Welcome to New Jersey, the average state I live in. (Jerks are NOT sold separately.)
  • Werewolfgirl1995 2012/03/19 21:03:13 (edited)
    Werewolfgirl1995
    +1
    Americans have always been rude,but they've definitely gotten worse.And as for those words going out of style thing,times have changed and they've just found new ways to say them is all
  • Bocephus 2012/03/19 20:48:37
  • Nathan Bocephus 2012/03/19 21:27:08
    Nathan
    I guess it all comes down to your perception, as you can't generalise an entire culture. When I was travelling around Europe, almost everyone I talked to told me American's are two things. They said we are over polite, to actually become an annoyance sometimes, and that we are really loud. lol People would ask me how they knew someone was an American in a restaurant. They would say, "Whoever is the loudest and has the most obnoxious laugh is an American. They are so loud!" It really depends on what part of the country you are talking about and we all know complete egotistical dicks, and we all know "knights in shining armor."
  • Bocephus Nathan 2012/03/19 21:44:31
  • Beat Ma... Bocephus 2012/03/20 10:26:10
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    Nah... I'm not treated like scum here. I get general curiosity if anything. Politeness has many non verbal rules and most people can tell your intent.
  • Beat Ma... Nathan 2012/03/20 10:25:17
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    Having lived in Europe for a year now, I've been told the following:

1. We're loud.
    2. We walk too slowly (I'll agree with this one).
    3. We make stupid assumptions. Stuff like "why don't you have an English menu?" or "You mean you don't accept dollars?" - at a small restaurant in a village.
  • brittany 2012/03/19 20:25:03
    brittany
    +2
    Why would you single out "Americans?"
    That's rediculous
    If it's a new vocabulary trend then it's going to be everyone and the main reason why is because of EVERYONE'S text lingo
    I live in Texas and say please, thank you, and you're welcome every single day
    Please go find another way to single out "Americans"
  • I Wish I Were A Skywalker..... 2012/03/19 20:17:20
    I Wish I Were A Skywalker... ~ In Television I Trust
    +1
    Well I'm actually leaning towards yes. But then again, I may be biased, because whenever I say I'm Austrian they call me a filthy jew murderer and that I should crawl into a hole. Doesn't really give me a good impression of the country, but I'm sure they're terribly nice to people who AREN'T foreigners.
  • Nathan I Wish ... 2012/03/19 21:32:55
    Nathan
    I hate ignorant people who still, to this day, think Germany is a Nazi country and that all Germans are Nazis. It is ridiculous. My senior year we had a gorgeous and the most empathetic foreign exchange girl from Germany. We were together almost the entire year and I would see her constantly hurt by the disgusting comments people would make about her. She cared about everybody and she showed me what real love is. I still love her to this day, and seeing how hurt she would get as people called her a Nazi and Jew-killer, was really tough to bear sometimes. Some think that present day Germany hasn't changed at all from the 30's and 40's and that they are still responsible for the atrocities. Beautiful culture, beautiful AND INTELLIGENT women, and some of the most polite and empathetic people I have ever met in my life are German and the German culture itself.
  • Beat Ma... Nathan 2012/03/20 10:29:18
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    Yeah... it's like the same bitter old farts who won't buy Japanese cars to this day because of Pearl Harbor... which happened 71 years ago at the hands of a government that no longer exists. The Japanese are culturally some of the most polite and hospitable people I've ever met. They make wonderful neighbors, and yet you'll still see some bitter 85 year old calling them "Japs" and other racist comments.
  • I Wish ... Nathan 2012/03/20 18:25:28
    +1
    Exactly. I love my country, and my cousins who are my best friends are Jewish, and it is so awful when people call us nazis. We go to an International School, so you'd think that the people there were more tolerant, but some of them are still so ignorant that they would make comments like that. I adore my country, for all it's faults and history, so I can stand those insults, but a lot of people can't.
  • JasonVorhees111 2012/03/19 20:13:16
    JasonVorhees111
    yes but for other reasons
  • Mateo 2012/03/19 20:11:19
    Mateo
    +1
    Then again, pretty much everyone is, regardless of national origin.
  • overdog001 2012/03/19 20:03:42
    overdog001
    +1
    Yes, I'm afraid we're getting more rude. I still call people "sir" and "ma'am", but now it gets as many weird looks as smiles.

On the other hand, it's not new! You can easily find older articles and references to declining courtesy as far back as the civil war.
  • overdog001 overdog001 2012/03/19 20:04:55
  • scbluesman13 2012/03/19 19:50:45
    scbluesman13
    +2
    "Than we used to be"? We've always been the rudest people of any of the traveling first world nations.
  • Nathan scblues... 2012/03/19 21:39:41
    Nathan
    +2
    We have been indoctrinated to think that America is the only free nation, America being a free nation is questionable today, in the world and that Americans are the most intelligent, most wealthy, and most powerful people in the world. It has contributed to support of all our various wars and occupations. I would say American's are the biggest dickholes in the world, based on our foreign policy alone. I don't think much of the world has a positive opinion of our culture anymore. I mean, just look at what some people say at these tea party rallies. Complete and utter ignorance mixed with a dash of racism and xenophobia. Now put that all in a bowl and mix in some fundamentalist christianity and you are looking at some of the biggest douchebags in the word. It is as if people still believe in Manifest Destiny and laissez-faire capitalism. Some Americans really do support those ideologies. I think those are contributing factors to how people percieve us based on our foreign policy, when judging us as a whole nation.
  • scblues... Nathan 2012/03/19 21:40:58
    scbluesman13
    +1
    Personally, I put a lot of blame on Ayn Rand. But philosophically we definitely agree =P
  • Beat Ma... Nathan 2012/03/20 10:31:18
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    If someone actually understood the fundamentals of Christianity, they wouldn't be dickholes in the first place. As for the other attitude, as an American abroad, I can say that we do a lot of things right, but we do a lot of things wrong.
  • Nathan Beat Ma... 2012/03/20 15:40:19
    Nathan
    I agree with you actually. I am an atheist, but I was raised as Christian going to a methodist church every single sunday till I was about 15. Everyone in the church thought the bible to be a book of parables, basically. It was about turning the other cheek, the golden rule, and helping those in need. The problems come from the fundamentalists who think the bible is 100% true. We accepted evolution in our church as we understood the bible was written a very long time ago. We also understood the bible was against gays, but we were taught they are human and as long as they accepted Christ, all was well. Any gay person would have been welcomed, without a fuss. I would say the overwhelming majority of Christians act like that; The problem is the fundamentalists who have an unwavering adherence to the bible as pure fact. I mean, does anybody really think Noah's Ark was real? It is a gret book for insight into humanity, but it is not a history book.
  • C. C. Rider 2012/03/19 19:39:42
    C. C. Rider
    +3
    With out a doubt they are getting ruder! Mostly in traffic tho. Today I did see an elderly couple who could hardly walk get cut off by some ass who actually let the door slam on them! When I said "Thank you" to a man who held the door for me he actually almost fainted. HE has said he always does that due to how he was raised and almost NO ONE ever says Thank you to him!?!??!

The saving grace is I too have seen great acts of kindness but it is getter further and father inbetween.
  • jule-sy 2012/03/19 19:37:11
    jule-sy
    The bulletin didn't say though what has happened to folks that now days many of them have turned rude.
  • Sour Dime 2012/03/19 19:34:18
    Sour Dime
    Yes, I blame my generation, we're not all rude but a vast majority is.
  • kmay 2012/03/19 19:32:41
    kmay
    Crude and self centered.
  • Riobhca 2012/03/19 19:10:00 (edited)
    Riobhca
    +2
    In general, Americans have become extremely rude and vulgar -- especially the women. It's disgusting.
  • cherryphi 2012/03/19 19:01:56
    cherryphi
    +3
    Sometimes it depends on where you go. People in the South are a little more polite in general (minding your p's and q's and friendliness).
  • cellophane 2012/03/19 18:41:36
    cellophane
    +4
    Disregarding the use (or non-use) of the traditional pleasantries, I think people in civilized nations around the world are becoming more rude. Why? Because we spend more and more time conversing with people via machine rather than face to face. We have, over the years, found it easier to make a rude remark to someone when you're not looking them in the eye. But now that the habit of being rude has formed, even in person to person exchanges I think rudeness has tended to rule.
  • Murph 2012/03/19 18:28:23
    Murph
    +3
    Yup. Just look at the replies you get from people who disagree with you right here oh SH. Vulgar profanity, and blocking; and the worst ones are the ones who complain the loudest about other people.
  • mrs.heart attack 2012/03/19 18:10:19
  • DeCaf 2012/03/19 17:45:12
    DeCaf
    +4
    And the national IQ has fallen tremendously.
  • Miles 2012/03/19 17:38:12
    Miles
    +1
    what poll from the past are we Americans being referenced to..
  • Ron 2012/03/19 17:31:36
    Ron
    +2
    They seem to be so self-absorbed that they do not think about others.
  • mal 2012/03/19 16:58:06
    mal
    +2
    And dumber.
  • YeahISaidIt 2012/03/19 16:53:57
    YeahISaidIt
    Just the women. Men are getting nicer. They still say excuse me and thank you in Louisiana while the women don't bother to say anything and they seem to get pissed when their guys display good manners. I still say thanks and no thanks. I even still use sir or ma'am like they drilled into our heads in Catholic School.
  • Beat Ma... YeahISa... 2012/03/20 10:33:47
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    Women were told that they can do everything a man can do, which includes acting like frat boys. I go to a bar in the USA, and it's the women, not the men who are usually loud, drunk, and getting in fights.
  • YeahISa... Beat Ma... 2012/03/21 03:51:22
    YeahISaidIt
    It's cute to be that way now to the majority. I can be loud but it's in good fun and not to start drunken brawls. Women get that bravado and go insane. It's no biggie to grind into a random guy's junk when it's music playing. It's just that things are being taken too far when the ok is given. I don't even believe men should act asses in public but whatever. If you tell them to act like a lady they say it's going back in time. Haven't you heard, "Gender is a social construct"?
  • Get Bashed 2012/03/19 16:44:42
    Get Bashed
    +2
    They stare right at you as they walk by, but don't reciprocate your simple greetings!

2014/08/28 09:33:47