Apple Sells a Record Two Million iPhone 5s in 24 Hours: Is Apple the Greatest Company Ever?

Daryl 2012/09/17 18:00:00
CNBC.COM reports:
Apple sold two million iPhone 5s in the first 24 hours the new smartphone was available for pre-order, the company said on Monday.
iphone 5

Read More: http://www.cnbc.com/id/49059665

• Professor Wizard 2012/09/17 18:34:11 (edited)
    Professor Wizard
    +24
    They have the greatest marketing ever... along with the stupidest consumers ever.

Oh yes.. and CHINA Thanks you... they made the phones.

• Elephan... thefatguy 2012/09/20 00:11:02
    Elephant Lord
    Ok, wise elder. What's your opinion on slave labor or the assassination of union workers in poor countries? I never said corporations are evil. I was just pointing out facts. I can provided sources if you wish.
  • thefatguy Elephan... 2012/09/20 15:41:29
    thefatguy
    I'm opposed to slave labor but I have no ability to prevent it from happening in remote backward countries torn apart by civil war and tribal conflicts, and neither can Nestle or other corporations. Given that neither you nor I can stop it from happening, what is the alternative for the poor people in Africa? To stop buying goods made in that country altogether and remove any ability for the people there to survive? I'm not condoning slavery or saying it's a wonderful lifestyle but doesn't it beat starving? It's easy to sit back in a free country and boast about how one would rather starve than be a slave but when someone is ACTUALLY presented with the choice, virtually all choose slavery to death.

So, Nestle can adopt a policy where they're not going to buy chocolate made with slave labor (which they have done) and tell the plantation owners to certify that their labor is not enslaved but the plantation owners simply lie to Nestle. Nestle doesn't own the plantations.

The bottom line is the world is a cruel and unfair place. People commit horrible atrocities against others all the time and have been doing so as long as humans have existed. War is the natural state of things. Peace is an aberration. Be grateful every day that you live in a country which is able to preven...

The bottom line is the world is a cruel and unfair place. People commit horrible atrocities against others all the time and have been doing so as long as humans have existed. War is the natural state of things. Peace is an aberration. Be grateful every day that you live in a country which is able to prevent slavery from happening within its borders. But, much of the world is not free. If you want to go to the Ivory Coast or Sierra Leone and fight against slavery, be my guest. But know this, you won't be coming home alive.
  • Odinsown 2012/09/18 02:29:27
    Odinsown
    +3
    Google is better, imho open source wins every time.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Odinsown 2012/09/18 11:01:48 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    They're gettin' up there near Micro$oft, may not be 'free' for long if they merge.
    Throw in Monsanto, Rotten Ronnie's & co. resulting in…
    OmnoCorp
    Note: It's an OCTAGON, what, usually happens within those? Not I Ching…
    U-er Frickin' Corn-holed!
  • Bibliophilic 2012/09/18 02:25:42
    Bibliophilic
    +2
    I like apple, but no it's not the greatest company ever. They do have some of the best marketing strategies though- making morons think that they need to buy the latest apple product every year or so.

Release the ipad mini instead- does anyone actually need a new iphone?
  • theanonymous_1 2012/09/18 02:12:50
    theanonymous_1
    +1
    all apple makes is a pretty paperweight with a screen #getanandroidpeople
  • Raphy 2012/09/18 01:51:36
    Raphy
    +2
    But they are good at getting people to buy NEW accessories to along with there new phone. Like insects heading into a bug zapper. As someone said earlier......CHINA thanks you.
  • MikeWon 2012/09/18 01:48:38
  • InfernalDisaster 2012/09/18 01:45:58
    InfernalDisaster
    +1
    Not even close.
  • Al B Thayer 2012/09/18 01:30:57
    Al B Thayer
    +1
    Not for business. I'm sick of mine. Lots of toys though.
  • Rock 2012/09/18 01:27:12
    Rock
    +1
    I got my phone on order Friday about 10:00 p.m eastern. So that was 19 hours after they started taking pre-orders. The problem is, my order said my phone should be there within 2-3 weeks. That's hardly the 9/21 date that was advertised. If Apple was the greatest company ever, they would have anticipated the large interest and would have had more than enough phones on hand and ready to ship. BTW, I'd certainly say GE or Berkshire-Hathaway are much more prestigious than Apple.
  • MiMi 2012/09/18 01:21:49
    MiMi
    +2
    Lol notthe greatest but it is a good company :)
  • sharkhead 2012/09/18 01:10:47
  • U Mad Bro? sharkhead 2012/09/18 02:18:29
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/18 01:00:37
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Best marketers maybe, and most gullible customer base.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... WhereIs... 2012/09/18 11:08:32 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    $$$$$
    above
    ¢¢¢¢¢
    sense
  • mikeeonly 2012/09/18 00:37:15
    mikeeonly
  • Jkirk3279 2012/09/18 00:30:16
    Jkirk3279
    +3
    It's peculiar that this question got so many negative responses.

Apple is making a lot of money, and you RARELY hear someone who owns an Apple product dissing it.

My nephew screwed up and dropped his iPhone last month. And ran OVER it with a truck.

It still worked.

The screen was smashed, but it was still working.

The peculiar thing is, how many haters there are for the company that's THE American success story.

Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak started the company in a spare bedroom at Job's parent's house.

THEN they moved out to the garage.

They built it up to employ 45,000 Americans and it still sells products during a Recession.

But the Android Users HATE Apple.

And others seem bitter that Apple's products aren't CHEAP.

A few even complain about the assembly being in China; but can you show me a smartphone assembled in America?

I think the Chinese Junk we've been buying has some of us convinced that if you want something that isn't CHEAP, you're being ripped off.

On the contrary. When you buy something CHEAP, you're being ripped off. Because it will break soon, and you'll be out of luck.
  • Bibliop... Jkirk3279 2012/09/18 02:26:52
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    I agree with everything you posted here, except for the fact that Apple is the greatest company ever.
  • U Mad Bro? 2012/09/18 00:24:29
  • joe keeney 2012/09/18 00:15:45
    joe keeney
    +1
    I got two toyta's that a lot better product.
  • WWZ Captain 2012/09/17 23:52:53
    WWZ Captain
    +1
    Actually, I don't know. How are we defining "GREAT" profit ? product ? how the employees are treated and compensated ?
  • Jkirk3279 WWZ Cap... 2012/09/18 00:18:37
    Jkirk3279
    Apple has 45,000 employees in America, and compensates them... well, kind of Average.

The pay for an Apple Genius isn't bad and it's easy work.

The pay for actual Engineers and Programmers is competitive because they have to pay to attract the best.

And the retirement package has been called... Average.
  • U Mad Bro? WWZ Cap... 2012/09/18 00:25:27 (edited)
    U Mad Bro?
    How the employees are treated? How about Steve Jobs stealing peoples ideas and calling them his ideas.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... U Mad Bro? 2012/09/18 11:12:09 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    Jobs squawked when Gates scoffed Windows.
    But he's now updating Mose's TABLETS.
    Might WINDOWS go the Other Way?
  • H-Dizzle 2012/09/17 23:41:39
    H-Dizzle
    +3
    Nope. Just a lot of followers

lemmings
  • Steveth... H-Dizzle 2012/09/18 00:14:35
    Stevethinks
    +2
    The herd "momentum of stupidity" at it's greatest. I love your creativity. Thanks for the laugh.
  • bcarrera 2012/09/17 23:38:51
  • NotTargetMaterial 2012/09/17 23:27:25 (edited)
    NotTargetMaterial
    +1
    One of the worst actually.

up...Theres that company I hate... (on the phone screen)

iphone 5
  • dani 2012/09/17 23:26:19
    dani
    +2
    Don't have anything apple. I hear the I phone are all the same
  • Keegan The Fabulous 2012/09/17 23:23:30
    Keegan The Fabulous
    +1
    They just have a really effective marketing system at hand.

If anything, Apple is one of the WORST. Very little changes between each version of their products, and the company itself seems to think it's the God of the economy and all the other companies in the economy are its servants. And the prices...
  • Jkirk3279 Keegan ... 2012/09/18 00:20:11
    Jkirk3279
    +1
    You get that the Market sets the price, right?

If people didn't think the iPhone was a good product, it wouldn't sell. And BTW, Microsoft spends twice as much on marketing than Apple does.
  • U Mad Bro? Jkirk3279 2012/09/18 00:26:58 (edited)
    U Mad Bro?
    +1
    You completely ignored the fact that all of Apples OS's are essentially the same, yet zombies like yourself pay 150 for them. Windows calls these minor updates service packs and doesn't charge anything for them. Oh, and the market doesn't set jack. You can buy a top notch PC like a Lenovo which has hardware made just for gaming for less than half of the price of a Macbook or Imac which has virtually no memory and slow CPUs paired with outdated GPUs. Apple is good at one thing, Advertising. You're paying for a name brand with apple, nothing else.

slow cpus paired outdated gpus apple advertising paying brand apple
  • wildcat 2012/09/17 23:14:24
  • Kigan 2012/09/17 23:02:37
    Kigan
    +2
    Great marketing coupled with customers akin to mindless sheep does not make a company "the greatest company ever".
  • beach bum 2012/09/17 22:53:20
    beach bum
  • xcheshirecat 2012/09/17 22:48:26
    xcheshirecat
    +1
    they probably are the greatest at publicity, but not as a company
  • Defcon 2012/09/17 22:47:45
    Defcon
    +2
    I heard that they have more money than the entire encomony of POLAND
  • Lil 2012/09/17 22:47:36
    Lil
    +2
    I'm afraid if I say different they'll shut down my service ._.
  • Bibliop... Lil 2012/09/18 02:27:51
    Bibliophilic
    Which service?

2014/11/27 08:21:49