Any of you think the idea of marriage is outdated? Not necessary?

Jack's Pearl 2013/01/30 13:57:52
Related Topics: Marriage
Marriage is out dated and not necessary.
Marriage is essential to keeping people together.

• ♥ Amy ♥ Is Home♥ 2013/02/01 17:49:26
    ♥ Amy ♥ Is Home♥
    +4
    after having been married for 22 yrs and now divorced a yr i can say that i feel being married after maybe 12 or 13 yrs... everything seemed to become an obligation rather than a want, and of course i realize that was just us and maybe not the same for everyone else....so i figured if i find a guy i want to be with in a married sort of way... id rather not actually get married, that way everyday i am with him is by choice and not obligation

• ♥ Amy ♥ Is Home♥ 2013/02/01 17:49:26
    ♥ Amy ♥ Is Home♥
    +4
  • MercuryZero (v.2) 2013/01/31 06:11:43
    MercuryZero (v.2)
    +1
    It's the principle of the thing.
  • ★misfit★ 2013/01/31 03:25:05
    ★misfit★
    +2
    Actually, neither answer fits my opinion of marriage. I think it can be a great thing, however, it is certainly not necessary to keep two people together. There are some legally unmarried couples who are far more "married" than some officially married couples. I think too many people get married for the attention and for a public stamp of approval on their relationship. The right reasons to get married, in my opinion, are to make a spiritual commitment to each other and/or for more a convenient financial arrangement. It can also be comforting for a child to know their parents are married. So basically, I think marriage has its purpose, but it is often abused.
  • sjb 2013/01/31 00:49:43
    sjb
    +3
    People don't have to be married to stay together, I know many couples who are happy and not married. But I still like the symbolization of marriage. I am married but I don't feel that it is absolutely necessary just so that my husband and I stay together.
  • JGF 2013/01/31 00:34:26
    JGF
    +2
    I've never thought it necessary. "Marriage" is simply one person telling two others they can have sex. (If two people live together, unmarried, but everyone knows they're not having sex, no one cares. But if they're having sex....)

This is not to say I'm against marriage. Many of my best friends are married, my parents were married, I've been married. I just don't see any necessity to it.

As for it being "essential to keeping people together" - explain the divorce rate, which is now over 50%.
  • kitkat42 2013/01/30 22:49:22
    kitkat42
    +2
    I personally approve of marriage. I believe its become outdated because its so easy to get out of. Marriages lasted when you had to have a valid reason for divorce. Now, you can get married and divorced within a week if something goes 'wrong'. So, why bother getting married some say.
  • Jan 2013/01/30 20:33:34
    Jan
    +2
    Marriage should be entered into with the intention of being with that person and staying faithful to him/her for life. It is a strong commitment and I firmly believe in it.
  • apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope 2013/01/30 19:08:07
    apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope
    +2
    To me it seems unnecessary. However, others find it to be something important and beautiful and wonderful and blah, blah, blah. I'm sorry, but to me it lost all of that glittery stuff when the divorce rate was over 50%. The magic sort of dissipated for moi.
  • Jack's ... apaтнeт... 2013/01/30 19:28:56
    Jack's Pearl
    I think expecting magic is a great cause of divorce. Expectations can ruin the best of relationships.
  • apaтнeт... Jack's ... 2013/01/30 19:35:50
    apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope
    +1
    Very true. I don't think people realize that crap has a tendency to hit the fan during marriage, and often. The wedding day may have been perfect, but that doesn't mean the rest of your lives will be.
  • Dyonus 2013/01/30 18:41:25
    Dyonus
    +2
    I think making a promise to one another is a pretty important step in a relationship.

Besides, I'm Christian, so I believe marriage is the bringing of a couple together into a union under God...at least for Christians.
  • SuperCee 2013/01/30 16:46:36
    SuperCee
    +3
    Marriage is a shared commitment between two people and is very important IMHO.
  • Surfsrock~RWAC~CFM 2013/01/30 16:44:23
  • rand 2013/01/30 16:15:13
    rand
    +4
    More than spouses, children need the commitment.
  • JohnT 2013/01/30 15:07:53
    JohnT
    +2
    I really think it is up to each person. I think marriage works for some but not for everyone. Life is not a one size fits all. Some folks are better by themselves and others work well as a united team. Being married takes love, caring, compromise, honesty and respect. Some folks cannot handle their own lives let alone live with someone else, so it is a individual thing and no right or wrong answer.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2013/01/30 15:03:37
  • Messenger Chris -... 2013/01/30 18:32:35
    Messenger
    +1
    Churches never have had exclusiver rights to marriage and never will. Marriage was around long befor religion and churches ever were.

As soon as churches stop trying to dictate to everyone is society everyone will be a lot happier and content.
  • Chris -... Messenger 2013/01/30 20:56:58
  • Messenger Chris -... 2013/01/31 00:04:43 (edited)
    Messenger
    +1
    I rarely if ever get angry. I suggest it is you who do not like the truth of my words.

No church has no right to dictate the rules of marriage to anyone.

I do not have to assume at all. The faster churches stop dictating to society the better off everyone will be. Everyone has the right to their own beliefs, superstions and fantasies are make for those who live in the Dark Ages. I perfer living with reality and truth.
  • Chris -... Messenger 2013/01/31 14:22:49
  • Messenger Chris -... 2013/02/01 02:02:57
    Messenger
    +1
    Yet again you are the biggest hater around. I have seen your post many time. You are projecting your hate and bigotry onto others as you usually do. It is classic behavior of zealot narrow minded christians.

Churches can marry anyone they want to. However, they have no right to dictate to others whether they get marry or not. It is churches, not the government, who have interferred with marriage and have demanded that only they be authorized to marry people.

No one has ever had exclusive right to marriage. So, it is time for the churches need to sort that out and stop dictating.

Yet more stupidity, there is no 'church of Atheism' Atheism is not a religion.
  • Chris -... Messenger 2013/02/01 17:37:20
    +3
    It is a stabilizing force in our society!
  • Messenger wtw 2013/01/30 18:33:01
    Messenger
    +1
    with a divorce rate of over 50% just how stable is that?
  • wtw Messenger 2013/02/01 14:55:17
    +1
    commitment of love always stabilize our society, a good marriage does, the rest might go to divorce
  • bluelady 2013/01/30 14:54:44
    bluelady
    +3
    and is a wonderful sacred thing
  • Rebel [SHP] 2013/01/30 14:44:43
    Rebel [SHP]
    +2
    I think it's fine for modern times.
  • Mrs. Kathy Arch 2013/01/30 14:41:27
    Mrs. Kathy Arch
    +3
    For me, I like knowing that I am married in the eyes of my family, friends, and my God. Not to mention the "Happily forever after" part!
  • Commenting_one 2013/01/30 14:39:35
    Commenting_one
    +4
    It doesn't appear to work, though many still believe it is the thing to do. Some seem to manage staying together despite not being married, which can feel to be more of a "real" marriage.

It seems like the bigger and fancier the Wedding, the sooner it's over. I don't think many realize the seriousness of the whole thing and is less so, today, focusing on the superficial aspects of what they think it is, rather than what it really means.
  • L1 2013/01/30 14:37:04
    L1
    +3
    Well, for me, yes, but perhaps not for others...
  • Will Advocate of PHAET 2013/01/30 14:23:56
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +2
    A legal marriage may not be essential, but I believe that 2 people need to promise themselves to each other if they are to stay together.
  • Jesterz 2013/01/30 14:22:50
    Jesterz
    +3
    I do believe it's not necessary, the useless and meaningless ritual in church that is...

A legal contract for protection in case anything happen to either one is necessary if you have kids or if one of the partners is sacrificing autonomy in order to live together (move somewhere else, leave job, stay at home to raise kid, etc). But it can be done without the religious incantations...
  • cutter's falls 2013/01/30 14:06:42
  • Reggie☮ 2013/01/30 14:03:53
    Reggie☮
    +4
    Personally I think being married is a wonderful thing.
  • ryan 2013/01/30 14:02:42
    ryan
    +2
    Outside of any tax, and benefits sharing.
  • Azazyel's Dragon 2013/01/30 14:02:01
    Azazyel's Dragon
    +2
    If you dance to the music you gotta pay the piper...
  • Messenger Azazyel... 2013/01/30 18:35:18
    Messenger
    +2
    so you think that marriage need to be associated with punishment
  • Azazyel... Messenger 2013/01/30 19:08:32
    Azazyel's Dragon
    +1
    Why not?...mine is...
  • Messenger Azazyel... 2013/01/31 00:07:43
    Messenger
    +2
    Marriage should be about joy, truth and sharing. Punishment is for a crime or doing something wrong.
  • Azazyel... Messenger 2013/01/31 16:43:09
    Azazyel's Dragon
    +1
    Relax, Wascana... I'm only joking with you. I'm very happily married.

2014/08/31 03:01:51