Another Poll Says the Non-Religous are Taking Over

Cameleon 2012/08/23 04:05:11

Us non-religious folks are still in the minority, but a new poll indicates that we are a growing population. The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism
has found that the number of Americans who identified as religious has
dropped from 73 percent to 60 percent since the last time this poll was
conducted in 2005. The poll asked 50,000 people from 57 countries and 5
continents. They were asked, “Irrespective of whether you attend a place
of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a
religious person, or a convinced atheist?”

This poll doesn’t necessarily indicate that more people are becoming
non-religious. According to the Washington Post, since 2005 several
influential books on atheism:

The seven years between the polls is
notable because 2005 saw the publication of “The End of Faith” by Sam
Harris, the first in a wave of best-selling books on atheism by
Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett and other
so-called “New Atheists.”

“The obvious implication is that this is
a manifestation of the New Atheism movement,” said Ryan Cragun, a
University of Tampa sociologist of religion who studies American and
global atheism.

“For a very long time, religiosity has
been a central characteristic of the American identity,” he said. “But
what this suggests is that is changing and people are feeling less
inclined to identify as religious to comply with what it means to be a
good person in the U.S.”

This is most certainly a good thing. As someone who left a faith in
favor of a godless existence, it can be hard when you’re overwhelmingly
around people of faith. It’s a brave thing to do, to come out as
different from everyone around you. Speaking personally, it would have
been beyond helpful to know that there are other people like me who have
chosen rational thought over superstitions.

If you think this is purely a Western phenomenon, think again. The
poll shows a 23 percent drop in religiosity since 2005 in Vietnam.
China, perhaps unsurprisingly given its ostensibly Communist ideology,
has the most “convinced atheists” at 47 percent, followed by 31 percent
in Japan.

Critics point to the Vietnam numbers as a reason to be skeptical of
the survey. Barry Kosman, the principle of the 2008 American Religious
Identification Survey — which found that 15 percent of Americans said
they have no religion — is one of those skeptics. The Vietnam numbers
show a 23 percent drop in religiosity, but no atheists, which, in a
communist country, is suspect.

But the overall trend is clear. People are becoming more comfortable
with being non-religious. Maybe, as more of us band together, we can
start letting go of all the baggage that goes with it.

Read More: http://www.care2.com/causes/another-poll-says-the-...

• Don Leuty 2012/08/23 09:06:46
    Don Leuty
    +5
    You'll know that the country has flipped completely when you call Dial-a-Prayer...and nobody answers.

• HistoryBuff782 2012/10/28 22:29:28
    HistoryBuff782
    +1
    "Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition."

-Isaac Asimov
  • Cameleon History... 2012/11/02 00:57:51
    Cameleon
    +1
    he was a wise man
  • History... Cameleon 2012/11/02 04:27:08
    HistoryBuff782
    Indeed. It's sad whenever we lose great intellectuals such as him.
  • ¤Creepy Lumberjack¤ >-QC-< 2012/10/12 02:35:52
    ¤Creepy Lumberjack¤ >-QC-<
    +1
    It was about time...
  • poet4justice 2012/08/23 15:02:39
    poet4justice
    +1
    it is about time, our founding father will be happy to hear that because they were free mason.
  • JL 2012/08/23 11:16:11
    JL
    +3
    AND, YOU THINK THIS IS A GOOD THING? MY FAITH REMAINS STRONG, EVEN AS YOU AND YOURS ATTEMPT TO TEAR DOWN THE VERY FOUNDATION OF THIS COUNTRY...WHAT WILL YOU GAIN?
  • Cameleon JL 2012/08/24 04:50:50
    Cameleon
    The country was not founded on religion.
  • JL Cameleon 2012/08/24 10:21:27
    JL
    +1
    MANY HAVE BEEN WRONG ON THIS...THE FACTS REMAIN...
  • Cameleon JL 2012/09/06 04:01:37
    Cameleon
    The facts remain that the founding fathers were not christian. Some were Atheists and some were Deists.

The Constitution and the Declaration of Independance are written to reflect that.
  • JL Cameleon 2012/09/06 11:19:56
    JL
    MAYBE YOU SHOULD READ A LITTLE CLOSER AND MORE CAREFULLY....
  • Cameleon JL 2012/10/06 23:34:15
    Cameleon
    +1
    I have read it very closely and in very fine detail. It is people like you who have no idea what the foundation of the country is based on.
  • Cameleon JL 2012/10/06 23:33:11
    Cameleon
    Please note who the WRITER of the article was! Pehaps you you should direct your comments to them.
  • ¤Creepy... JL 2012/10/12 02:36:42
    ¤Creepy Lumberjack¤ >-QC-<
    CAPS LOCK POWER!!!!!!!!
  • JL ¤Creepy... 2012/10/12 02:37:47
    JL
    AIN'T IT GREAT!!!!
  • History... JL 2012/10/28 22:33:56
    HistoryBuff782
    Caps lock only serves to make you look like an immature child.
  • JL History... 2012/10/29 12:14:30
    JL
    YOUR PERCEPTION, IS THAT OF AN IMMATURE CHILD...
  • History... JL 2012/10/30 04:55:41
    HistoryBuff782
    +1
    And typing in all caps isn't?

typing caps
  • Cameleon JL 2012/11/02 01:00:54
    Cameleon
    yup, that is what it proves you are.
  • Cameleon JL 2012/11/02 01:00:27
    Cameleon
    Shouting has no bearing on the truth, it has only identified you and devoid of an education.
  • History... JL 2012/10/28 22:33:21
    HistoryBuff782
    +1
    And you fanatics aren't trying to force your cult down everyone else's throat, and bring it into our educational system? We are NOT a theocracy.

fanatics force cult elses throat educational theocracy
  • Don Leuty 2012/08/23 09:06:46
    Don Leuty
    +5
  • Cameleon Don Leuty 2012/08/24 04:51:28
    Cameleon
    Do you still have dial-a-prayer??
  • ★Calliope★ 2012/08/23 05:42:21
    ★Calliope★
    +4
    You speak as though being religious is a disease. Something to 'overcome'. Let me tell you, being religious isn't a plight. It's not a disorder. It's not a plague. The USA would not have been founded in the way the founders envisioned without religion and the basics of law which comes from common law, which in turn comes from a set of religious law or doctrine. At least in this country.

Only atheists and some agnostics deny the correlation. They'll bring up the laws of the ancients and some such, but it really boils down to we were formed by men who had more than a passing knowledge of religion and the law. These men saw the monarchy as being imperfect and their rule not divine. They believed that rights are inalienable and not given by a king, government or country but by virtue of our humanity. By those rights being each man's right under God.

That said, you don't seem to realize the demographic trends of this country or the world. You cite one article and call it good? I respectfully suggest you research demographics and the changing face of America before you make such assertions. Further, I'd do some global research on demographics and religion. This should give you a more broad picture and not merely encapsulate a small slice of data.

You also did not cite...

You also did not cite "...Cragun does not believe the poll shows more people are becoming atheists, but rather that more people are willing to identify as atheists. ..."
    Do you have an agenda? Are you an atheist?
  • JL ★Calliope★ 2012/08/23 11:14:16
    JL
    +3
    EXCELLENT!
  • ★Calliope★ JL 2012/08/23 16:42:00
    ★Calliope★
    +3
    This hatred of Christians is ugly.

It feeds something ugly in their soul.

You know, there are thousands of atheists, I reckon. Why must the evangelical few spread such hatred? Most would be content to live their lives knowing in the grand scheme of things, Christians aren't out to murder, rape or maim. They are so very vindictive. No other religion but Christianity gets them so upset.

Akin to liberal hatred, I'd imagine. The person you feed is the person you become. These folks feed their hatred, and it shows.
  • JL ★Calliope★ 2012/08/23 16:55:28
    JL
    +3
    BEING " CHRIST-LIKE" IS TOUGH ENOUGH, EVEN WHEN YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN...I THINK MAYBE, THEY SOLD THEIR SOULS....YOU KNOW, KINDA LIKE B. HUSSEIN OWNS A LIBERAL...
  • ★Calliope★ JL 2012/08/23 18:31:45
    ★Calliope★
    +3
    I think you really hit it there, JL. exactly!
  • Cameleon JL 2012/08/24 05:03:38
    Cameleon
    +1
    Christians need to take a damn good look in the mirror and read some real history befor they continue to spew more hate at those they have persecuted for centuries.

poor
  • Cameleon JL 2012/11/02 01:09:12
    Cameleon
    Sad but you are delusional if you think that any christian is christ like. Even the pope is a fake and an outrage to the human race.
  • JL Cameleon 2012/11/03 10:00:27
    JL
    HEHEHEHE....FUNNY, BUT SAD YOU ARE....
  • Cameleon ★Calliope★ 2012/08/24 05:00:54
    Cameleon
    +1
    Have you not recognised the hate in your own flock. It is rampants and now you are receiving back what you have spewed forth into the planet. You have done nothing since the inception of your religion but percecute all those that do not adhere to your faith.

Christians have distroyed almost all native cultures on the planet by violence and did the same to pagans, atheists and homosexuals and what they called witches as well. Nothing has been safe from their vicious attacks around the planet.

It is absolutley amazing that you are capable of writing with a straight face and lie and call others hateful.
  • JL Cameleon 2012/08/24 10:23:50
    JL
    +1
    YOUR HATE IS FREELY SHARED, YOUR SPELLING COULD USE SOME WORK...
  • Cameleon JL 2012/09/06 04:05:31
    Cameleon
    Sorry that typo's are such a concern to you.

There was no hate in my post, I was simply referring to the projection of your hate and the christians throughout history.

You need to buy a mirror and take a good long look befor pointing fingers at other, spewing hate is a very common problem with most christians.
  • JL Cameleon 2012/09/06 11:21:51
    JL
    +1
    AND, YOU CONTINUE TO ENJOY BEING WRONG....WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR MIRROR???
  • Cameleon JL 2012/10/06 23:35:19
    Cameleon
    I am not wrong, but I have proven your ignorance.
  • JL Cameleon 2012/10/07 12:33:39
    JL
    YOU....PROVE ONLY YOUR OWN....
  • Cameleon JL 2012/11/02 01:10:41
    Cameleon
    You could use some manners and some major lessons in etiquette.
  • JL Cameleon 2012/11/03 10:02:05
    JL
    BUT, THAT COULDN'T COME FROM YOU....YOU HAVE NOTHING TO TEACH...
  • ★Calliope★ Cameleon 2012/08/24 20:35:42
    ★Calliope★
    +2
    Don't be ridiculous. Hate is an equal opportunity endeavor. It is NOT confined to a religion (or lack of), a sect, a cult, a region, a continent, a country, a state or a gender. I haven't blinded myself to hate, you have no basis for such a comment. Being the recipient on many occasions, I'd say I'm rather intimate with its effects.

This isn't a cosmic game. Score isn't kept and the sins of the fathers and grandfathers and GREAT grandfathers are not visited upon this generation. How silly do you have to be to believe that? Do you also believe that Mother Nature sends storms and famine to punish mankind?

Christians haven't destroyed almost all native cultures. That's one of the most asinine statements ever. You are so utterly convinced that Christians are the cause for every one of your troubles, you blind yourself to a bigger, more realistic picture.

Come on. Tell me who were destroyed by Christians? Then do a little comparative research and talk about the Roman Empire, The Chinese, Atilla, that pesky guy with the Huns, The Ottoman Empire, The Greeks, the Persians, San, Sho, Barwa, Kung, or Khwe, the Mau Mau. and Kiowa. I could go on and on. These folks didn't need Christians to kill 'em off. They did a great job killing each other.

I'm not lying, dear...

I'm not lying, dear. I'd suggest that I've hit very close to home with you, to engender such an unwarranted rant from you. If you can't take the truth, feel threatened, or have some other issue, that's YOUR problem, not mine.

I'm not threatened by atheists. Not even the rabid ones. Not the evangelical ones, and certainly not you. It seems the reverse is not the case. You folks are so embittered it colours every aspect of your life. Why else would you feel the need, nay, the compulsion to constantly dump on Christians.

Save that for the monsters, why don't you? The rapists, murderers, the terrorists, the folks that stone people, the folks that perform female circumcisions? Don't trivialize REAL evil for something so petty, then dumping on folks with whom you simply disagree. That's just juvenile and nasty and unfair and ugly.
  • Cameleon ★Calliope★ 2012/09/06 04:31:08
    Cameleon
    I never said hate was only a religion issue. However, religions are teh most ademate in refusing to accept and acknowledg their major role is persecuting alll the groups that they have rejected as unacceptable through out history.

Christians distroyed Jews, Pagans, Witches, Atheist, almost all native cultures around the entire planet, including Hawaiian, N. American., S. American. PPolynesians and Melanesian, Tahiti, Caribbean Islands,

2014/09/18 01:44:00