Animal Rights Group Wants Pamplona Bull Run Banned. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Tigger Too 2012/07/14 13:09:43
YES! The bull run is inhumane and dangerous.
NO! The bull run is part of the Spanish culture.

Animal welfare group Four urged Spanish authorities Friday to ban the famous Pamplona bull run, which left 22 people injured and 42 bulls dead this week. "Four Paws is demanding an immediate break with this cruel tradition, in which many people get hurt and many bulls suffer a painful death every year. This kind of entertainment has nothing to do with culture and should be abolished." The run, which involves bulls rushed along Pamplona's streets, and then forced to fight in the arena during the San Fermin Festival, is a form of cruelty against animals that would be punishable with prison in other countries.

Before the beginning of the event, the 'picadores' on horses torment the bulls. They ram spears into their backs, slit their necks, and then panic them by giving electric shocks and beatings with sticks.
Badly hurt, the animals are driven into the bullfighting arena, where they are tortured slowly to death by the torero, to great applause from the audience.

The 13,000 bulls killed each year at bullfighting events have given Spain "a bad reputation." However, the massive crowds of thrill-seekers flocking every year to the San Fermin runs and other bullfighting events are also a boon for the tourism industry, boosting revenues.

SHOULD THE PAMPLONA BULL RUNS BE BANNED BECAUSE OF ANIMAL CRUELTY AND THE DANGER TO HUMANS?

• Just MEH....Piwan 2012/07/14 20:39:11
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +4
    GET RID OF IT! ANIMAL CRUELTY! i hope at least that the bull takes out as many stupid paticipating buttholes in this as possible!

• DizziNY 2012/07/16 16:48:31
    DizziNY
    +2
    Hunt down the morons who do this to the bulls then throw spears at them see how they like it. If this is part of their culture then they are a bunch of untamed, heartless savages.
  • Tigger Too DizziNY 2012/07/17 19:23:45
    Tigger Too
    +1
    The Spanish government already DOES know about how the bulls are being treated. The running of the bulls in Pamplona and bullfights are a centuries-old cultural tradition in that country. People and organizations like PETA have been bitching about this for years now, and yet the practice continues. Sad, isn't it? Thanks for your comments, DizziNY!
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2012/07/14 20:39:11
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +4
  • Tigger Too Just ME... 2012/07/17 19:25:11
    Tigger Too
    +1
    I'm always secretly pleased when one of those morons running through the cobbled streets of Pamplona, Spain, being chased by a thundering herd of bulls, is gored to death. Serves them right! Thanks for your comments, Piwan, and have a beautiful day!
  • D D 2012/07/14 17:52:08
    D D
    +3
    It needs to stop. I don't know how much people know about it but it is more than just some bulls running down a road. They do awful things to them. They are tortured. It is sick. It needs to stop.

Whenever I see a bull hurt someone, I don't feel bad for them one bit. They deserve whatever the bull gives them!
  • Tigger Too D D 2012/07/17 19:27:47
    Tigger Too
    As I said to "Piwan" above, every time one of those morons participating in the running of the bulls on the streets of Pamplona, Spain, is gored, I'm secretly happy. If a person tortures a raging bull and then tries running through a narrow street ahead of the thundering herd, then they get what they deserve. Idiots. It's always a pleasure when the bull wins! Thanks for your comments, D D!
  • D D Tigger Too 2012/07/18 06:18:53
    D D
    +1
    I feel the same. When the bull gets someone in the ring as well. Some of the gores I have seen people get is pretty funny. They deserve anything they get. The ones up watching too.
  • Tigger Too D D 2012/07/18 12:02:15
    Tigger Too
    +1
    Did you hear about the matador, I think it was last year, who was gored in the groin and bled to death? I don't wish anyone to die, but I have to admit that it was kind of righteous. Hey, some days you get the green wienie, and some days the green wienie gets you! Bull -- 1 / Matador -- 0
  • D D Tigger Too 2012/07/18 22:12:24
    D D
    +1
    Good for the bull!!
  • Piper 2012/07/14 17:35:54
    Piper
    +3
    Enraging and torturing animals for 'entertainment' should not be an accepted practice in any society.
  • Rogue_L... Piper 2012/07/15 14:43:36
  • Piper Rogue_L... 2012/07/15 16:23:10
    Piper
    +2
    I wouldn't feel better, but I don't feel 'bad' either, when the humans get hurt. Spain has quite a few horribly cruel festivals/fiestas involving bulls, aside from bullfighting. I made myself watch a video of a 'fire bull' fiesta; it literally made me sick.
  • Tigger Too Rogue_L... 2012/07/17 19:31:23
    Tigger Too
    +2
    I always root for the bull, my friend. ALWAYS.
  • Tigger Too Piper 2012/07/17 19:30:38
    Tigger Too
    +2
    I agree. Even though its a centuries-old cultural tradition in Spain, bullfighting is certainly a loathsome form of entertainment. The pleasure the crowds get from watching the brutality with which the bulls are treated reminds me of the people in the Roman Coliseum watching the gladiators battle to the death. It's sickening, tradition or not. Thanks for your response, Piperpc!
  • Piper Tigger Too 2012/07/17 20:05:34
    Piper
    +2
    Yes, knowing that people get enjoyment watching a living being suffering, and jeering and cheering, is as heart-sickening as thinking about the suffering of the victim of their 'entertainment'.
  • Tigger Too Piper 2012/07/17 20:25:33
    Tigger Too
    +2
    I suppose this Spanish cultural phenomenon is their version of the pit bull dogfighting or the cockfighting we have here in America. All of of these "sporting" pursuits are cruel and disgusting. I cannot fathom WHY any human being would be entertained or get a charge out of watching another living, breathing creature tortured, maimed and killed. I just don't get it. (And I'm glad I don't.)
  • Piper Tigger Too 2012/07/17 21:38:10 (edited)
    Piper
    +2
    Yes. There are quite a few of those disgusting "sports" going on in our country as well, but at least most of them are not legally sanctioned. I was horrified to learn that the "penning" of wildlife was legal in my state, and got involved in the battle to stop it; we won. This involves the trapping of foxes, coyotes, and sometimes bobcats and other smallish wild animals, and releasing them into an enclosed area where they can't escape, to be torn apart by a pack of dogs. The wild animals can even be shipped in from other states, and are kept packed in cages before being released, often without food or water. This is still legal in several states.

I can't fathom either, why any human would consider death and suffering to be entertainment.
  • Tigger Too Piper 2012/07/17 23:57:49
    Tigger Too
    +2
    ARE YOU FOR REAL? I've never heard of this "penning" of wildlife, but just the thought of it makes me sick. And I share your question of why anybody would get their rocks off watching animals being tortured and killed? If the authorities want to cut down on the population of foxes, coyotes and other wild animals, why don't they just shoot them? Or why not allow people to hunt them to lower their numbers? A bullet and a quick death is preferable to being torn apart by packs of dogs. I commend you for becoming involved in the movement to stop this sick practice. Yikes.
  • Piper Tigger Too 2012/07/18 01:30:16
    Piper
    +2
    Sadly, it is real, and still legal in several states.
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org...
  • Tigger Too Piper 2012/07/18 12:04:53
    Tigger Too
    +2
    What an evil, unconscionable, brutal thing to do to animals. Like I said before, if a fox is getting into your hen house, or a coyote is killing your cattle, then shoot them and get it over with. It's a much more humane way to control the wild animal population than torturing them. Thanks for the information.
  • Dickens 2012/07/14 15:41:39
    Dickens
    +3
    ..I don't care if the people die; they had a choice not to participate. I feel much worse for the bulls that died since they had NO choice...
  • Rogue_L... Dickens 2012/07/15 14:40:52
  • Tigger Too Dickens 2012/07/17 19:34:37
    Tigger Too
    You are 100% correct! Thanks for your comments, Dickens!
  • bluelady 2012/07/14 14:46:36
    bluelady
    +2
    and it reverses the bullfight, gives the bulls a fair shot at humans
  • Rogue_L... bluelady 2012/07/15 14:45:08
  • bluelady Rogue_L... 2012/07/16 13:35:53
    bluelady
    +2
    in the run, you arent armed
  • Rogue_L... bluelady 2012/07/16 13:45:32
  • bluelady Rogue_L... 2012/07/16 13:53:28
    bluelady
    +2
    yeah, I am also a fan of the PBR and the CBR...its amazing to watch those awesome bulls..and some of them have so much attitude. and for such a large animal to be able to move theway they do...its awesome compared to us...
    I dont know for sure if the bulls in spain are trying to get the runners as much as just going thru them,...but some of the bucking bulls ARE out to get the cowboy...
  • DizziNY bluelady 2012/07/16 16:52:25 (edited)
    DizziNY
    +2
    How would u like it if spears were thrown at you and in a rodeo someone was on your back with spurs digging into your flesh? Do you really think this is right?

bull tortured by fighting

Sick minded, insane, and sadistic humans.
  • bluelady DizziNY 2012/07/17 14:25:57 (edited)
    bluelady
    +1
    I do NOT agree with the latin bullfight where the bull is killled, but have you ever been up close to a bucking bull?? or any bovine?? think the leather in your shoes, but twice as thick, that leather is a "split" where they seperate it in half...a spur to a bucking bull doessnt even draw blood
    This is Super Duty,
    this particular guy would KNOW when/where he got a cowboy off and rip right around to try and hook him...he got retired d/t a bad tendon and is currently living for the ladies...
    A good bucking bull is worth thousands and is treated like any star athlete (if you want to keep makin money from him)
    but at least we can agree on a bullfight...killing these animals is wrong , although the bull gets a fair shot at the matador before the swords come out jjjj
  • bluelady bluelady 2012/07/18 12:31:26
    bluelady
    +1
    I just love this picture anyway...this big (huge) , bad (he really is xtra mean and supersmart under a cowboy) play in his corral like a kid at the beach
  • Tigger Too bluelady 2012/07/17 19:45:40
    Tigger Too
    +1
    I think the bulls move so fast and have so much attitude because, before the run even begins, the picadores stick spears into their backs, slit their necks, and then panic them by giving electric shocks and beatings with sticks. I'd probably be busting a move and running at a pretty good clip, too, if someone had done that to ME!
  • Tigger Too Rogue_L... 2012/07/17 19:41:29
    Tigger Too
    +1
    Humans ARE frail little weenies. And that's no bull. [cue groan for bad pun]
  • bluelady Tigger Too 2012/07/18 12:29:08
  • Tigger Too bluelady 2012/07/17 19:39:04
  • DizziNY bluelady 2012/07/16 16:51:09
    DizziNY
    +1
    The bull didn't ask to fight.
  • Tigger Too bluelady 2012/07/17 19:35:00
    Tigger Too
    Thanks for the response, bluelady!
  • JohnT 2012/07/14 14:37:14 (edited)
    JohnT
    +1
    Part of that countries history, I am no fan of any animal group, my concerns are with humans. The pet industry in America is 60 billion dollar business, pretty sad considering 45 million children are in poverty.
  • DizziNY JohnT 2012/07/16 16:49:37
    DizziNY
    +1
    Pretty sad that you support the torture of another living being.
  • JohnT DizziNY 2012/07/16 19:34:28
    JohnT
    +1
    I don't need to apologize for anything. I am no animal fan. I had a family member that spent more time with dumb ass animals and had little regard for humans. My concern is the human race.

2014/07/22 13:29:18