Andy Rooney's commentary on prayer has CBS and Katie Couric in a panic to assure WH that this is not network policy.

Annette 2011/09/17 17:07:31
Pray if you want to!

CBS and Katie Couric must be in a panic and rushing to reassure the White House that this is not network policy

--re: Andy Rooney's commentary on prayer.

Folks, this is the year that we RE-TAKE AMERICA & CANADA
Keep this going around the globe. Read it and forward every time you receive it..

We can't give up on this issue.
Andy Rooney and Prayer

cid:2.3826152644@web45203.mail.sp1.yahoo.com
Andy Rooney says:

I
don't believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not going to sue somebody for
singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December I don't agree with Darwin , but I
didn't go out and hire a lawyer when my high school teacher taught his
Theory of Evolution.

Life,
liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because
someone says a 30-second prayer before a football game. So what's the
big deal? It's not like somebody is up there reading the entire Book of
Acts. They're just talking to a God they believe in and asking him to
grant safety to the players on the field and the fans going home from
the game.

But it's a Christian prayer, some will argue.

Yes, and this is the United States of America
and Canada , countries founded on Christian principles. According to
our very own phone book, Christian churches outnumber all others better
than 200-to-1. So what would you
expect -- somebody chanting Hare Krishna?

If I went to a football game in Jerusalem , I would expect to hear a Jewish prayer.

If I went to a soccer game in Baghdad , I would expect to hear a Muslim prayer.

If I went to a ping pong match in China , I would expect to hear someone pray to Buddha.

cid:3.3826152644@web45203.mail.sp1.yahoo.com
And I wouldn't be
offended.
It wouldn't bother me one bit.
When in Rome .....

But what about the atheists? Is another argument.

What
about them? Nobody is asking them to be baptized. We're not going to
pass the collection plate. Just humour us for 30 seconds. If that's
asking too much, bring a Walkman or a pair of ear plugs. Go to the
bathroom. Visit the concession stand. Call your lawyer!

Unfortunately, one or two will make that call. One or two will tell thousands what they can and cannot do. I don't think a short prayer at a football game is going to shake the world's foundations.

Christians
are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts
strip us of all our rights. Our parents and grandparents taught us to
pray before eating, to pray before we go to sleep.
Our Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. Now a handful of people and their lawyers are telling us to cease praying.
God, help us. And if that last sentence offends you, well, just sue me.

The
silent majority has been silent too long. It's time we tell that one
or two who scream loud enough to be heard that the vast majority doesn't
care what they want. It is time that the majority rules!
It's
time we tell them, "You don't have to pray; you don't have to say the
Pledge of Allegiance; you don't have to believe in God or attend
services that honour Him. That is your right, and we will honour your
right; but by golly, you are no longer going to take our rights away.
We are fighting back, and we WILL WIN !"
God bless us one and all...Especially those who denounce Him
,
God bless America and Canada , despite all our faults, We are still the
greatest nations of all. God bless our service men who are fighting to
protect our right to pray and worship God.

cid:4.3826152644@web45203.mail.sp1.yahoo.com
Let's make 2011
the year the silent majority is heard and we put God back as
the foundation of our families and institutions. And our military forces come home from all the wars.

Keep looking up

cid:5.3826152645@web45203.mail.sp1.yahoo.com

• Lanikai 2011/09/20 14:01:01
    +1
    Bravo Andy, I will send an immediate email to the station SUPPORTING HIM>
  • MQ-American Values Again (AVA) 2011/09/19 21:55:40
    MQ-American Values Again (AVA)
    +2
    Why do they have to assure the White House of anything.... OZero can continue to pray to Allah and and I'll continue to pray to God....
    house ozero continue pray allah ill continue pray god obama white house muslim prayer
  • wow-really 2011/09/19 16:02:05
    wow-really
    +4
    Bless all who take a stand in the name of God, who aren't afraid to speak His Name, and for those who are proud to testify to His greatness and kindness, and all His glory.
    We praise God to the highest. Thank you Lord for all our blessings. Lord, hear our prayers..
    In Jesus name. Amen
    And for all that don't believe, I ask you this, what is the harm in living a life that is good. Believing in God means you treat others the way you would be treated, practicing being honest, fair, compassionate, understanding, loving, and kind to others and ourselves. We don't steal, hurt, or harm anyone, and we respect others and the lives of others, and accept responsibility for our actions. What is soooooooooooo terribly wrong about that?
    What is so wrong about believing in the greater good of your fellow man? What is so terribly wrong with hoping for the best and preparing for the worst? What's wrong with having faith and hope, and in striving to be good person?? How is that hurtful or harmful to your wellbeing? How is praying offensive?
    I can think of a lot worse things t believe in, and even worse ways to be offended.....
    Respect is a two way street, not a your- way- highway.
    You want respect, please give it, and let people "offend" you peacefully with prayer...
  • Annette wow-really 2011/09/19 17:31:01
    Annette
    +3
    I doubt they think that way about it. Atheists seem to hate the very idea of God, so all who are associated with that are thrown into the same garbage barrel. They never consider that all of what you said applies, and that there is much for them to benefit from. Great questions and great explanations.
  • wow-really Annette 2011/09/19 18:10:42
    wow-really
    +2
    Thanks Annette. If they could only hear themselves and how incredible ascinine it sounds for them to offended by a prayer, they would snap the heck out of it, or just hide their faces in shame. Because that's really what it is a shame that people would get offended by something that is so good.
    God bless you!!
    heck hide faces shame shame people offended god bless power of prayer
  • Lanikai Annette 2011/09/20 14:02:10
    +3
    Can you or anyone explain to me WHY they have so much bitter hatred for a God they don't even believe exists?
  • concern... Lanikai 2011/09/20 18:22:32
    concerned dude
    +3
    They are so deceived by the great deceiver they just hate the thought of God or any discussion about Him.
    deceived deceiver hate god discussion God
  • Annette concern... 2011/09/20 19:13:14
    Annette
    That fear comes from the essence of God that is placed in them at birth that they have chosen to deny. It is a very real fear.
  • Lanikai Annette 2011/09/20 21:20:18
    +1
    We call it the "God sized hole in every soul's heart".
  • Annette Lanikai 2011/09/21 02:53:33
    Annette
    That is a good way of putting it, Lanikai. For God lawsare "written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart" (2 Corinthians 3:2,3).
  • Annette Lanikai 2011/09/20 19:12:23
    Annette
    +1
    LOL that is amazing isn't it?
  • GOP Poison wow-really 2011/09/20 00:04:39
    GOP Poison
    I consider myself a christian and wonder why it is that the most vicious people I read on SH are these so called christian conservatives>I do not dis-agree with what you had to say but what you had to say and what Andy Rooney said are two different things. You are defending prayer which I do also defend at every turn.I say grace before meals regardless of what restaurant I am at and I pray solemnly at least half a dozen times a day.Giving thanks and asking his will be done. Rooneys was about what harm is there in praying at a tax funded public event.It is against the constitution period. I cannot say I am a strong supporter of the constitution except for this or that because it would do"no harm".YES IT DOES.It violates the constitution.I l;ove to see the christmas messages and the manger scenes in the town square at Christmas time but....IT is against the constitution.
  • Annette GOP Poison 2011/09/20 00:37:50
    Annette
    +2
    Actually, if you take a look at how our forefathers started EVERY session of Congress you would see that they sometimes spent more than an hour in prayer before starting their sessions. The problem most people have is in understanding that this clause was included NOT to stop prayer in the Senate, or at a public tax funded event; but that it was included to stop any one religion being named as the religion of the country.
    People also miss the end of the amendment sentence that says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Please read both of those clauses and then tell me that the Constitution forbids prayer in a public place, or even in the halls of Congress. Mercy if that is true, then why does the President swear his oath of office on a Bible?
  • wow-really Annette 2011/09/20 14:36:17
    wow-really
    +1
    Well said!
  • wow-really GOP Poison 2011/09/20 14:47:08
    wow-really
    +1
    This country was founded on the belief of a higher power, whether you call that God or Christianity, and the freedom to worship that higher power the way we see fit. because of that belief, our founding fathers felt God was significant enough to include Him. From our money to our marriage vows and everything inbetween..
    Separation of church and state means no public monies should go to supporting any one specific religion. God is not a religion. God is a hope, a faith, a belief, a figure of all that it is great and good, and all the things possible, both in oursleves, and in this life time.
    Religions use His name to justify their own made-man version of their own intrepretations of biblical testimates.
  • Annette wow-really 2011/09/20 19:14:51
    Annette
    +1
    That is very nicely said, too, wcw.
  • concern... GOP Poison 2011/09/20 18:24:24
    concerned dude
    +1
    The Constitution if not against prayer at public events. The Constitution and the founding Fathers included prayer in many public events including congressional sessions.

I pray for you to understand our country's history.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2011/09/19 00:35:24
  • Pegasis 2011/09/18 21:01:00
    Pegasis
    +1
    Totally agree!
  • MrsJJS 2011/09/18 10:55:42
    MrsJJS
    +3
    I'm not a person of faith but Andy Rooney is spot on. It doesn't offend me if people pray and when I'm in any house of worship I obey their rules out of respect for them.
  • Annette MrsJJS 2011/09/18 23:57:39 (edited)
    Annette
    +3
    That is one of the nicest things I have heard someone say on anything to do with religion here on SH. Thank you and my compliments to you, Mrs. JJS. I see you realize it is not a Christian's intention to harm. I have lived abroad, in a Muslim country, and there are no Bibles allowed there and there are only Muslim mosques there. It never offended me either. We were never forced to go or participate, just respect their laws and Muslim ONLY was their law.
  • Phyl *I... Annette 2011/09/19 00:32:29
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    +2
    They should go by our law and stop trying to change our law.
  • MrsJJS Annette 2011/09/19 05:26:49
    MrsJJS
    +3
    Thank you. I was brought up Catholic, my paternal grandmother, whom I was very close to, was Catholic, my best friend of 33 years was also Catholic but now considers herself a Christian as she disagrees with some of what the Catholic church says and my first boyfriend was Jewish. That caused a wee bit of stir in both families..lol. His grandmother used to say to us, “A bird and a fish can fall in love but where are they going to live?” Neither of us knew what she was going on about at the time. Later in life I had an elderly female friend who was Jewish, and also a very successful business woman. At Christmas time she’d have a Christmas tree her store and her home, I asked her about it one time she said “You call it a Christmas tree, I call it a Hanukkah bush..lol So I’d been around Christianity and Judaism whilst I was growing up. There never seemed to be any issues between the Jews and the Christians they always seem accepting of and tolerant of each other’s religious beliefs.

I never had any dealings with people from the Muslim faith. In fact the only time I heard of it was when I saw a documentary on television about the boxer Muhammad Ali many many many years ago and it briefly said, he used to be call Cassius Clay but changed his name when he became a Muslim. He seemed...

I never had any dealings with people from the Muslim faith. In fact the only time I heard of it was when I saw a documentary on television about the boxer Muhammad Ali many many many years ago and it briefly said, he used to be call Cassius Clay but changed his name when he became a Muslim. He seemed like an OK kind of guy so I didn’t really give it much thought.
    It wasn’t until after 9/11 that I decided to look into Islam to see what it was all about. I’m familiar with the stories from the Bible and that Jesus was meant to be a kind, caring, compassionate, forgiving, all-encompassing individual who believed in spreading the word in a non-violent way. And I do believe Jesus would have been really ticked off at the Crusades. Anyway, I was reading about Muhammad, the one in the Quran, not the boxer, who, in very simplistic terms, would be their version of a Jesus. He came across as a charismatic military leader who was especially ruthless to those that would not convert to his religion. He would show mercy and compassion when it suited his interests but any who dared to speak out against him he openly called for their assassination or murder. He encouraged killing and plundering any tribe, family or person who would not go along with religion. All very scary stuff. In my opinion the difference between Christianity and Islam is like the difference between a Disney film and a Stephen King film.
  • Annette MrsJJS 2011/09/19 10:47:13
    Annette
    +2
    That pretty well sums it up, MrsJJS. I think it could also be classified as the difference between Bambi and The Chain Saw Massacre, which btw was a favorite film with the Muslims in Saudi. The Muslim lady next door asked if all Americans acted this way. And trying to explain that it was a movie didn't sit well with her.
    Again, thank you for your comments. It sounds like you have learned a lot and learned well from your experiences.
  • MAMMY51♥POTL~PWCM~JLA♥ 2011/09/18 07:40:12
  • BoomLover 2011/09/18 03:23:00
    BoomLover
    +3
    I don't really think Andy said this, but to who ever did say it, I agree. By the way, know which is the fast growing Religion on EARTH today? Christianity......Even in China, who would have thunk it? If memory serves me, it also encompasses the most people, too
  • Annette BoomLover 2011/09/19 00:00:14
    Annette
    +3
    I heard this summer that it has been announced the the gospel has now been preached in every country in the world.
  • Lanikai BoomLover 2011/09/20 14:05:34
    +2
    A young couple at our church adopted a child from China, he explained that a lot of the reason the government over there tried to shut down Tianamen Square is that it is a favorite place to exchange christian teachings between believers and for word of underground churches to pass so that different areas know where those meetings are. Interesting huh? He was able to pass off some Mandarin tracts to a recognizable believer-to aid in the teachings at small house groups. God ROCKS!!!
  • Loverofcountry 2011/09/18 02:33:07
    Loverofcountry
    +4
    Andy Rooney is a far left liberal and an agnostic/atheist, and he did not write this article.
    Who ever wrote it, I agree with it 100%?
  • Annette Loverof... 2011/09/19 00:00:47
    Annette
    +2
    Thank you, and if Andy Rooney did not write it, I don't know who did, because it is attributed to him.
  • Lanikai Loverof... 2011/09/20 14:06:31
    +1
    One doesn't have to believe in God to support the religious practices of those who do. He may have just been showing his support for a group that is being vilified out of existence.
  • elijahin24 2011/09/17 22:37:11
    elijahin24
    +2
    This essay is incorrectly attributed. It was actually written by Paul Harvey.
    I take issue with a few points here, but before I get to them, let me say this: I think we atheists have a bad habit of fighting EVERY injustice we perceive against us. And even though many of them are unjust, or unconstitutional, I think it's important that we understand that we have to pick our battles, or we just end up looking like WE'RE the bad guys. I think there is a way to say "Yeah, this is unconstitutional, but it's probably not a battle that needs to be fought at this point.
    On to my issues with this essay: I'm tired of hearing Christians bitch about turning the other cheek (which hasn't happened once since Jesus himself did it) while the courts strip away their rights. Nobody is stripping away your rights. You can pray. You can pray 24/7 if you want. Not one person on earth could stop you. You just can't use government resources to force others to join you or listen to you. That includes a PA System.That's it. It's Christians who strip away the basic human right of marriage away from gays (also against the Constitution) based on their religious belief that gay marriage isn't really marriage. You can't bitch about having your religious rights stripped, even if it's true; when you're doing the same to someone else, and be taken seriously. If you can't be right, at least be consistent.
  • Annette elijahin24 2011/09/18 01:02:30
    Annette
    +5
    Spoken like a very well uninformed atheist. Thank you.
  • elijahin24 Annette 2011/09/18 16:25:28
    elijahin24
    If the "un" was unintentional, thank you. If it WAS intentional, I'm happy to debate the issue with you, but I'll warn you that I'm ANYTHING but uninformed. I was once on your side. It took a lot of research and study to make me even reconsider my point of view, let alone actually change it. I know the Christian viewpoints better than most Christians, so be warned that I am a formidable opponent.
  • Annette elijahin24 2011/09/19 00:02:45
    Annette
    +2
    Formidable does not frighten me a bit. I know my Bible exceedingly well, perhaps better than most, but I don't think there is anything here to debate or I would be more than willing to do that.
  • elijahin24 Annette 2011/09/19 00:48:52
    elijahin24
    With which part of my post do you take issue? And what is your evidence that my position is uninformed?
  • Annette elijahin24 2011/09/19 01:19:04
    Annette
    +2
    I gave you that information already. Then you brought up religion and the Bible, and I said you don't frighten me with that subject. Do you have a bone to pick here? If so, leave it on the front stoop - I'll kick it off the porch later.
  • elijahin24 Annette 2011/09/19 01:38:05
    elijahin24
    No, I'm saying you called me uninformed, but didn't explain why, or make a case against anything I said.
  • Annette elijahin24 2011/09/19 01:47:00
    Annette
    +2
    You were uninformed about Buddhism in China. I gave you proof that it is practiced there.
  • elijahin24 Annette 2011/09/19 02:20:11
    elijahin24
    Where did I say ANYTHING about Buddhism in China?

2014/11/22 03:02:36