Americans Joining Disability Is Now Outpacing Americans Finding Jobs: Is This a Sign of a Coming Depression?

Daryl 2012/07/18 16:00:00
WEEKLYSTANDARD.COM reports:
As the chart shows, between April-June 2012, an estimated 246,000 Americans were added to Social Security's disability insurance program. In that same time period, only 225,000 American jobs were created.

employment jobs social security unemployment weekly standard read magazine online

Read More: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/americans-join...

• Don Leuty 2012/07/18 06:30:43
    Don Leuty
    +11
    When users outnumber producers, we become just like the Soviet Union. Uniformly poor with no incentive to improve our lot.

• schjaz 2012/08/17 15:19:55
    schjaz
    Of course...now wonder Oblahblah wants to stay drunk. He has no idea what to do.
  • morris44 2012/08/17 15:07:18
    morris44
    +1
    The depression is already here.
  • poet4justice 2012/08/17 03:02:58
    poet4justice
    find me a chart of veterans with disabilities and baby boomer and i will be happy to explain
  • lucky 2012/08/10 18:08:15
    lucky
    No but it is a sign that SSI is being grossly abused.
  • michael 2012/07/23 14:31:42
    michael
    no it is more of a by-product of it rather than a "sign".
    But in all truth what the USA is getting is less awful than what is going on in Europe--there they are cutting benfits ( such as national healthcare programs and education) and raising taxes even though the job rates stay the same. Can you beleave Spain has 24% unemployment???
  • GOP Poison 2012/07/20 14:54:19
    GOP Poison
    It is a sign of absolute laziness by a group of people that were spoiled to death by their parents who had good union jobs and now those good jobs are gone overseas and their protection as an American worker has vanished with the shrinkage of the labor unions. I am in the rock hard conservative state of Indiana and I have to be careful who I express my opinion concerning this to because of how many people are on SSI. It is shameful for someone my age to be working and waiting on young people in their 20s and 30s that are classified as dis-abled. They are white,young,middle aged,and healthy. they do not seem to be politically active,but by and large they hate Obama and un-like on here they are not afraid to tell people why they hate him.
  • malikasecrets 2012/07/20 07:16:33
    malikasecrets
    +1
    I think we are doomed for a depression mainly because many families do not understand downsizing or making to with what they have. We all seem to spend and spend on money but lazy entertainment. Few know how to do basic skills or use ordinary house products that would save money.
  • EDWARD G 2012/07/19 22:54:24
    EDWARD G
    But it certainly is a comment on our unemployment situation and the economy itself. I would assume most of these applicants were middle aged or near retirement and hoping for a bridge to retirement benefits because their unemployment is running out. On the other hand I threw a 23 yr old out of my office who wanted to apply for benefits. I told her to go to school or get vocational training. She climbed on the back of her boyfriend's motorcycle, hopefully, to do that. I doubt it.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/07/19 20:40:14
    Margaret Jacobson
    +2
    no one working means the eventual collapse of our government ???
  • Stan Kapusta 2012/07/19 19:43:55
    Stan Kapusta
    +1
    Before employers made allowances for disabled or limited abilitied people. Now they say they will but I don't see it no more. Jobs Are tough to find. People have no choice. There is also alot of unproven age discrimination. Employers Don't care anymore. The bottom line is more important.
  • Wag 2012/07/19 19:37:46
    Wag
    +1
    This one really bugs me.....Here in michigan (right to work state) I personally know 3 people on disability and working jobs,building houses and farming....Now I know it says the last 3 months, but this has been going on for years. The people who really needs it don't seem to be able to get it and then there are the ones who seem to have the system down pat...
  • Margare... Wag 2012/07/19 20:38:35
    Margaret Jacobson
    +2
    They work "cheaper for cash".........GET MY DRIFT !!
  • dominic garcia 2012/07/19 19:35:41
    dominic garcia
    +1
    It is a negative for sure. The past drug usage within our society is coming back to haunt us!
  • Margare... dominic... 2012/07/19 20:39:17
    Margaret Jacobson
    +2
    baby boomers ARE GETTING DEMETIA.............BIG TIME !!!
  • dominic... Margare... 2012/07/19 21:12:43
    dominic garcia
    +1
    Demetia just like you said is an epidemic. People are too young, to be suffering from such an ugly disease. I really think it is a combination of drug use, teflon, effects from microwave use combined with plastics and China's poisonous merchandise. I think all of these have affected the brain. It is too obvious that, it all has to do with our lifestyle for the last 100 years. Just like spray paint has been proven to do irreversible damage to the brain if the proper masks are not worn. This is so sad, too bad we didn't see it coming a long time ago.
  • JackSchitt 2012/07/19 19:02:12
    JackSchitt
    +2
    I know I'M depressed.....
  • JP 2012/07/19 19:01:44
    JP
    +3
    Obama's America.
  • Wag JP 2012/07/19 19:40:29
    Wag
    +1
    Obama's,Bush's,Clintons and most likely Reagans too....been going on for years
  • Tombo Wag 2012/07/19 19:53:28
    Tombo
    +2
    You might want to take a second look. There is now 16 people working for each one on disability. Prior to Obama it was 36. Prior to Obama there were 24 million on food stamps; now there's 48. The Obama administration just axed Welfare reform put in place by Gingrich. This will allow many more people to enter the Welfare roles. HE'S BUYING VOTES! Get It! The Great Destroyer
  • Wag Tombo 2012/07/20 13:56:57
    Wag
    Yeah, theres a great source
  • Tombo Wag 2012/07/21 16:28:31
    Tombo
    For Sure, for Sure, thank You
  • HelmetGirl 2012/07/19 18:37:47
    HelmetGirl
    +2
    I think a lot of people are panicking and taking what they may consider the easier route to a steady income.
  • Fef 2012/07/19 18:26:48
    Fef
    +4
    Unless, like Obama, you want to create a population dependent on a big government
  • Groundskeeper Willy 2012/07/19 18:00:11
    Groundskeeper Willy
    +2
    Duh. People with Long term unemployment are claiming Mental health disability in droves.
  • M A 2012/07/19 17:55:55
    M A
    +5
    If a Republican was in office right now, the MSM would be calling it the worst economy ever. But their boy is getting a free pass
  • Tim Upham 2012/07/19 17:22:11
    Tim Upham
    +2
    When you spend two years looking for a job, this is the only alternative we have. Unfortunately, they did not have this alternative during the Great Depression, they had Hoovervilles instead.
  • Seonag 2012/07/19 14:53:35
    Seonag
    +1
    I'd like to know how many of those signing up for disability have run through their 99 weeks of unemployment!
  • fuzzy K... Seonag 2012/07/19 17:49:45
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +3
    I would venture to say almost all of them.
  • Franklin 2012/07/19 14:31:18
    Franklin
    +3
    o noooo this means Obama is doing a great job with the economy - LOL
  • Squatch 2012/07/19 13:16:25
    Squatch
    +2
    Simple math - more people making withdrawals = less money. Less money = depression. For all you people who think this is such a great program I am a RN, so I see people on disability all the time at the clinic / hospital.
    One disability pt really stands out to me and to be fair it was a white female. She was a healthy 30 y/o who said she was on disability because her mom died. HHHMMMMM!!!!
    I think once you reach age 10 you probably have the realization you are going to outlive your parents, but she just could not cope and our lovely system put her on the system.
    This is a slap in the face of all the people who have lost children and had to suck it up and go to work to support their family.
    This kind of access to GOV disability will be the end of a financially responsible America. This is by far not an isolated example of disability claims that are out of control.
  • fuzzy K... Squatch 2012/07/19 17:51:54
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +1
    I would guess that a fair number of the new disability claimants are of sound mind and body but have no other alternative for money to put food on the table and roof over their heads.
  • Squatch fuzzy K... 2012/07/19 19:57:37
    Squatch
    +1
    Could be, but similar to the statement Necessity is the mother of invention. If you do not have a necessity to work because the GOV is there to bail you out everytime - Why get a job???
  • fuzzy K... Squatch 2012/07/20 13:11:00
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    I wonder how many of these people are signing up to "sponge off the system" and how many are doing so because they have been unable to find jobs.
    Disability is not much money especially if you used to work. It's only $698 a month for a single person and $1048 for a couple.
    I would venture to guess that a large number of people applying are former workers whose UI ran out and have been unable to get a job not for lack of trying.
  • Squatch fuzzy K... 2012/07/20 14:07:23
    Squatch
    If you have read some of my other posts you know that I am a Nurse. I have been in the military of and on since 1991 while getting my degree. As a result I have herniated disks, head to toe joint pain that makes it hard to walk sometimes, and I got my first knee surgery last year. Even with all this I would be willing to bet that I could find a job making more than 1048 a month in a non related career field in about a week.

Also, let's use your low figure of 648 a month - even though if you count welfare, food stamps, disability, added benefits for having more children, and even a GOV program that allows people money for cell phones, it is way more than that. Anyway - there are 29, 900, 000 people getting benefits from the GOV in the USA in 2012

29, 900, 000 x 648 = 19, 375, 200, 000 yes that is billion and this is an extremely low figure

In the words of Joe Biden - That is a "Big F*****g deal."
  • fuzzy K... Squatch 2012/07/20 14:41:23
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    With an unemployment rate in AL of 7.4% I do believe you might find a job in about a week. Finding a job is also a matter of connections. Some have better ones than others.
    I speak from personal experiences though. My wife, an office manager by trade was busting her butt trying to find a job, any job for almost a year. She did get one as a receptionist at far less than she used to make. She's still looking for something more at her level but has had no luck yet. At the start of the summer my 20 year old son went to the local mall to a Job Fair. He told us that he was in competition for store clerk jobs with 35 year olds.

Unless you've been looking for a job you truly don't have any idea how it is out there. Obama took a recession and turned it into a depression.
  • Squatch fuzzy K... 2012/07/20 15:04:38
    Squatch
    True - but,I have been unemployed many times and found work. I guess because I am in the military I have a mindset that I "will not fail."
    I will look for a job for 10 hours one day and if I do not find one I will wake up the next day and look 10 hours again and so on and so on.
    Worst case if I have to find a "Manpower" job and show up at 0500 to be sent out to a worksite - I have done that.
    I just get tired of people looking for excuses and then making it sound like it is some political party that kept them down. If you did some research I would be interested to know exactly what jobs Romney outsourced and how many Americans would be qualified for those jobs and what were the reasons for the outsourcing.
    Honestly, with all the regs Obama is throwing at business owners and Obamacare if I had a business I would probably outsource also.
    I mean why buy hamburger when you can get steak for half price. Lets face it - some American workers are lazy, they are less educated, they demand expensive benefits, and (again from being a nurse) if they get injured on the job they are going to milk Workman's Comp for all it is worth, while the owner has to hire another employee to replace them. etc. etc...
    Also, a debate that has been put in play by the Dems for so long that it seems common place is that the GOV is supposed to put you to work.

No where in the Constitution does it say that the GOV is responsible for your employment
  • Waldorf 2012/07/19 13:06:50
    Waldorf
    +2
    It is more a sign of socialism, when coupled with encouraging people to apply for food stamps.
  • Squatch Waldorf 2012/07/19 13:18:54
    Squatch
    +2
    TRUDAT!!! Great profile pic - I grew up on the Muppets.
  • Wesloco 2012/07/19 12:58:16
    Wesloco
    +1
    You should have given an undecided but beyond that it makes no sense that we give social security money to people who never contributed to the system. I know two gals who get this money, one of them did 13 years in prison for attempted murder and I guess she came out stir crazy so she's disabled and the other is a schizophrenic and gets the money but she still works under the table for a office cleaning service getting paid cash. These people are obviously not disabled so why do we pay them from the social security money to which real workers have contributed?
  • Obama Your MommA 2012/07/19 12:47:36 (edited)

2014/10/25 13:39:16