American Apparel Debuts First Transgender Model: Great or Gimmicky?

June is LGBT Pride Month, making it the perfect time for American Apparel to debut its first transgender model, former "America’s Next Top Model" contestant Isis King. King, 26, appears in a series of new ads for the provocative clothing chain, wearing Pride Month T-shirts.

"American Apparel is showing bold leadership by being among just a few companies to include transgender people in its national ads," GLAAD President Herndon Graddick said in a statement. "The company’s statement that 'Gay is OK' will reach millions and send an important message in support of equality." King, 26, was the first transgender contestant on "Top Model," too. Do you think American Apparel is making a bold move toward equality by using her in their ads? Or is it just a gimmicky way to get attention?

• Nilam 2012/06/15 22:03:12
    Great
    Nilam
    +36
    geez people, when is society gonna grow up. why should anyone care about another persons preference? media has freely exposed sex, drugs, violence, and much much more and noone seems to have a problem with it, why all the fuss over gay? i personal dont enjoy being with someone of the same sex, but if someone else does, how is that even any of my business? i really dont see the big deal.........

• shayla ... Nilam 2012/06/18 16:48:03
    shayla moore
    +1
    smartest thing anyone has put on here.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/06/15 22:00:22
  • Gracie ... rustysh... 2012/06/15 22:53:53
    Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~
    +1
    Tell us how you really feel Rusty. :)
  • darazan 2012/06/15 21:56:17
    Great
    darazan
    +10
    Transgenders are people, too, and it's really about time that they weren't excluded from careers because of that.
  • dv 2012/06/15 21:52:04
    Great
    dv
    +5
    She should live out her dreams doesn't matter what her sexual orientation is she's human.
  • ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓ 2012/06/15 21:46:20 (edited)
    Great
    ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓
    +6
    I dont understand how people can bring their ignorance on this topic. There is nothing wrong with being gay and it is not a choice. I did not choose to be straight an why would I choose a life style that is hated by, looked down upon, tormented, bullied etc (no offense to any one) And if it was a choice then why not stop being gay? You can't because it is not a choice. Again I did not choose to be straight I am just attracted to males.

The only choice is going under the knife but if you don't feel comfortable with your body go ahead and change it. So what if she was a man or he was a woman, all that matters is that they are happy.

I am a proud American and the last time I checked this was America, a place that encourages individuality! Let people be people and live their life!
  • AngryGabby ↓←↑♣→NV... 2012/06/16 22:46:58
    AngryGabby
    +2
    Well said.

applause
  • scoobydooby 2012/06/15 21:44:29
    Great
    scoobydooby
    Is she off of America's next top model? :) I love her.
  • Sinister Ken Doll™ 2012/06/15 21:44:19
    Great
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    +7
    if thats what she wants to do....
    i wouldn't wear those clothes though, they're not gay enough for me ;)

rainbow shirt

now we're talkin'!
  • The Lib... Siniste... 2012/06/15 22:04:11
    The Libertarian
    +4
    Its not a she, it will never be a she, you can dress up like a Barbie Doll all day long but that doesn't mean its a real woman.
  • Siniste... The Lib... 2012/06/15 22:09:46
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    +2
    looks real to me....
  • RevBH The Lib... 2012/06/15 23:48:19
    RevBH
    To YOU.
  • rylie_love The Lib... 2012/06/15 23:58:04
    rylie_love
    +1
    gosh, a libertarian who doesn't respect other people's life choices? seems odd but being a libertarian myself i know its a very BROAD political view.

i think there will always be a group of people who view things this way:

a. gays can get 'married'
    b. a transwoman is a woman and a transman is a man

then there will be the opposite group who:

a. gays can be together but i don't want to call it "marriage"
    b. a transwoman can look like a woman but i don't want to call her a "woman"
  • The Lib... rylie_love 2012/06/16 00:22:32
    The Libertarian
    I have no problem with gays marrying.

A transwoman? What is that like, the Transformers, please spare me your psycho babble, as for me being a libertarian, you can cut your dick off and walk backwards in a tutu all day long if you want but it won't change the fact that you are a man and regardless of what operation you go through or what you think, you are a dude.
  • rylie_love The Lib... 2012/06/16 01:25:43
    rylie_love
    +2
    i have this image in my head. i'm just walkind down the street, living my life (in a tutu lets say). you for some reason feel the need to walk next to me holding a sign pointing at my head saying "MAN, NO MATTER WHAT, THIS IS A MAN." no matter how far i run, where i go for some reason YOU FEEL THE NEED to stand next to me and hold this sign or metaphoricaly hold this belief? why? is it your god? your science? your closed mindedness?

if i want to live as a girl, why can't i? its not like it affects you. i mean you probably wouldn't even know if i didn't tell you? but then why do i have to live in fear as to how i am? just to prevent Dbags like you from calling me a "transformer?"
  • The Lib... rylie_love 2012/06/16 13:18:56
    The Libertarian
    I didn't say you couldn't live as a girl but that does not make you a girl no matter how much you tell yourself that or how many laws you pass, you are a dude, if you want to play makeup go ahead, but you are and will forever will be a man, no matter what law, no matter what hormones you inject, no matter what surgery you do, you are what you were born with and no amount of man made technology can ever change that.
  • rylie_love The Lib... 2012/06/16 16:26:06
    rylie_love
    I agre, chromosonally, genetically, physically I won't be but that's OK with me. I'm happier. but do you feel I should legally still be male? even though you can't tell I used to look like a boy unless I tell you? should I be using the male bathroom? I mean do I just identify as a gay male? i don't get it
  • FrozenHeart 2012/06/15 21:42:10
    Great
    FrozenHeart
    +4
    Don't like it? Ignore the ads. Worried about your children being "brainwashed" by the ads? Teach them what you think is right and quit blaming the media for everything. Your think it's gross? Good for you but not everyone thinks that. Your religion is against it and says it's perversion? Not everyone believes in your religion.
  • harasnicole 2012/06/15 21:39:37
    Great
    harasnicole
    +1
    Isis was always my favorite.
  • MissJo 2012/06/15 21:36:48 (edited)
    Great
    MissJo
    I think this is awesome and I do hope this trend continues, though she's a little skinny for my taste.
  • whispering hands 2012/06/15 21:31:57
  • The Lib... whisper... 2012/06/15 22:07:43
    The Libertarian
    +1
    It isn't a woman, it will never be a woman, I don't care how many hormones you pump into your body, fake boobs and a fake vagina does not make a woman, its a dude and will forever be a dude.
  • whisper... The Lib... 2012/06/15 22:10:41
    whispering hands
    +6
    It doesn't matter what you have or don't have physically. If you know that you ARE what you are deep down, then that is what you are. SHE is a woman. Get over it.
  • The Lib... whisper... 2012/06/15 23:57:06
    The Libertarian
    Hey thanks for admitting the problem is in the persons head, its still a man.
  • RevBH The Lib... 2012/06/15 23:56:03
    RevBH
    +4
    To YOU. But your opinion doesn't define who she is to herself, and that's what matters.
  • RevBH whisper... 2012/06/15 23:54:20
    RevBH
    +1
    Obviously the Ron Paul person is very, very uncomfortable with this topic because it twangs some nerve.......The more s/he rants on ,the more I think s/he's taking something very personally here. Ron Paul person, you can't be at peace with yourself when you're being so hateful and angry. You're just going to give yourself ulcers. Just let go and let live and we'll all be better for it.......especially you.
  • rylie_love RevBH 2012/06/16 01:28:08
    rylie_love
    +2
    he secretly wants to bang a tranny and probably thinks finding a transsexual pretty, cute, or hot makes him gay and he gets all confused and this confusion leads to hate and what better way to hate a transsexual than to call her a man?
  • IslamRULES567 2012/06/15 21:31:47
    Great
    IslamRULES567
    I think that its great to,make a statement and to make everyone feel comfortable, just do not take to far
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/06/15 21:28:54
    Great
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +2
    Although I thought that all American Apparel were pretty much transgender already. At least the ads looked that way. ;-)
  • Gregaj7 2012/06/15 21:24:59
    Gimmicky
    +4
    I stand against these things and will never accept homosexuality as anything but a deviant behaviour. No replies necessary.
  • banshee... Gregaj7 2012/06/15 22:01:19
    bansheebanski
    wrong
  • brunyon banshee... 2012/06/15 22:12:40
  • banshee... brunyon 2012/06/16 06:51:27
    bansheebanski
    haha funny man.......funny man......SIR SIR SIR BE CAREFUL SIR!....u are a funny man
  • Gracie ... Gregaj7 2012/06/15 22:43:18
  • RevBH Gregaj7 2012/06/15 23:56:42
    RevBH
    You so SILLY....
  • The Libertarian 2012/06/15 21:11:30
    Gimmicky
    The Libertarian
    +6
    Please, equality? Just because you choose to chop off your damn penis and your nads then pretend that you are a girl. You can't fool what you once were, chopping your freaking parts off doesn't mean a thing, all it means is, you chopped your man parts off, that is it, no matter how many hormones, boob jobs, creating a vagina you do, you are still a dude and will always be a dude.

Was this the Original Trans whatever?

Frankenstein lightning
  • darazan The Lib... 2012/06/15 21:57:52
    darazan
    +2
    ....That's not how that operation works at all, btw. It's more of inverting that chopping off.
  • The Lib... darazan 2012/06/15 22:02:23
    The Libertarian
    +2
    Oh please, like I care how its done, inverting or chopping off, its gone, regardless it still doesn't make you a woman and that is the point.
  • darazan The Lib... 2012/06/15 23:40:21
    darazan
    +4
    I'm just saying that if you're going to rant and rave about a subject, at least get your facts right. It doesn't seem like you've done any research into the subject simply because it's one that you do not agree with. You don't seem to know why anyone would choose to go through such an operation, thereby it does not make sense to you.

Gender identity has nothing to do with pretending to be the gender you are not, it has to do with feeling that you were born the wrong gender. The operation does not change how you feel inside, it simply changes what you look like on the outside to match how you feel you should be and who you are on the inside.

There are those who were born with male parts, but feel inside that they are female. Just as there are those born with female parts and feel that they are male. There are even those that are born with both. What do you do then?

I'm not saying you have to agree with the decision that some people make. You don't even have to like it. But if you're going to keep yourself ignorant to the subject matter and the realities of it, yet still throw a fit about it and tell others who they are and are not, expect that there will be people that will point out your follies.
  • The Lib... darazan 2012/06/16 00:09:22
    The Libertarian
    What a bunch of psycho babble you came up with, I don't give a rats ass about your justification about what constitutes how they "Feel" trapped inside another gender(bunch of bs) there is no such thing as someone being trapped in another gender, what it is called is this, mental illness. You damn right I will tell them who they are and who they aren't and what this mental deficient dude is. Get over it, nature gave you a pair of nuts and a penis, you are not going to change it no matter how you feel or want to be of another sex, as for the hermaphrodite, that's called a birth defect, bunch of freaking dumbasses.

2014/12/20 18:00:22