American Apparel Debuts First Transgender Model: Great or Gimmicky?

June is LGBT Pride Month, making it the perfect time for American Apparel to debut its first transgender model, former "America’s Next Top Model" contestant Isis King. King, 26, appears in a series of new ads for the provocative clothing chain, wearing Pride Month T-shirts.

"American Apparel is showing bold leadership by being among just a few companies to include transgender people in its national ads," GLAAD President Herndon Graddick said in a statement. "The company’s statement that 'Gay is OK' will reach millions and send an important message in support of equality." King, 26, was the first transgender contestant on "Top Model," too. Do you think American Apparel is making a bold move toward equality by using her in their ads? Or is it just a gimmicky way to get attention?

• Nilam 2012/06/15 22:03:12
    Great
    Nilam
    +36
    geez people, when is society gonna grow up. why should anyone care about another persons preference? media has freely exposed sex, drugs, violence, and much much more and noone seems to have a problem with it, why all the fuss over gay? i personal dont enjoy being with someone of the same sex, but if someone else does, how is that even any of my business? i really dont see the big deal.........

• TenguPl... Jack 2012/06/17 01:09:44
  • TruBluT... TenguPl... 2012/06/17 10:05:13
    TruBluTopaz
    Except your side can't reproduce.
  • TenguPl... TruBluT... 2012/06/17 15:18:16
  • TruBluT... TenguPl... 2012/06/17 20:18:20
    TruBluTopaz
    Not on your own.
  • TenguPl... TruBluT... 2012/06/17 20:22:40
  • Blunder... TruBluT... 2012/06/18 16:15:25
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    Even if they could, gay people don't breed more gay people. That's straight people you're thinking of.
  • Mrs Rec... Jack 2012/06/17 08:22:02
    Mrs Reckless
    +1
    Dumbass, theft isn't a behaviour, it's an action. And homosexuality isn't 'morally wrong', homosexuals could say that straight sex is morally wrong, but they don't. It's always the minority that get the abuse, but being homosexual isn't such a minority now.
  • Jack Mrs Rec... 2012/06/21 20:03:57
    Jack
    I would stop to argue with you, but the opinions of a 14-year-old child are so irrelevant that this is the most I can bothered to type, in response to someone who knows nothing about anything!
  • Mrs Rec... Jack 2012/06/22 19:31:25
    Mrs Reckless
    nothing about anything? if my opinions are so irrelevant, why did you take the time to answer me? and im not a child
  • Jack Mrs Rec... 2012/06/24 09:18:37
    Jack
    I know that, at your age, you'll have opinions that seem very firm. But believe me, children really do know virtually nothing about life, and in a few months, or years, you'll look back at what you said now with embarrassment. I spouted a lot of opinions when I was 14, and they were mostly a crock of sh#t!
  • Mrs Rec... Jack 2012/06/24 13:34:25
    Mrs Reckless
    i stand with what i say now, and i will do in years. i dont regret anything i say or do
  • Saloon Jack 2012/06/17 02:44:13
    Saloon
    +8
    But wait. Isn't our main instinct as humans to procreate with the opposite gender? Meaning that gays are doing the exact opposite of " giving in to their
    Most baisic instincts."?
  • Jack Saloon 2012/06/17 02:51:44 (edited)
    Jack
    Homosexual behaviour isn't even on the agenda for decent human beings. Apes do that kind of thing, because they're not intelligent enough to know right from wrong!
  • YeahISa... TenguPl... 2012/06/17 06:36:40
    YeahISaidIt
    It's called having your own beliefs. And that's something that can't be changed..
  • Daryl 2012/06/16 23:57:25
    Gimmicky
    Daryl
    +7
    Not 'gimmicky'...DISGUSTING.

We now celebrate depravity and dysfunction.

Yet another sign of the decay and decline of our civilization.
  • conservyT Daryl 2012/06/18 21:55:05
    conservyT
    +1
    Well said!
  • mark 2012/06/16 23:52:18
    Gimmicky
    mark
    +2
    She will stand before the creator and give an account of her choices to him.
  • Fred mark 2012/06/17 00:22:22
    Fred
    +3
    And god will buy two of each
  • skyebrand mark 2012/06/17 00:40:05
    skyebrand
    +4
    I love it when people site the Bible as a reason to hate homosexuality. Do you follow all the other stuff in Liviticus too? You know, the stuff about ritual human sacrifice, condoning rape, owning slaves...if not, then why are you cherry picking? Could it be so you can somehow justify your prejudice?
  • Blunder... skyebrand 2012/06/18 16:17:06
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    You know, you just might be on to something. ;)
  • ZB skyebrand 2012/06/19 03:26:44
    ZB
    Most Christians pick and choose. IE; Deut. 22;5 thrown at a crossdresser (like me) to support their own belief that crossdressing is wrong. Deut 22;5 Woman shall not wear that which pertaineth to a man. Man shall not wear a womans garments.
    Notice that the wearing of clothes that PERTAINS to a man is also shot down and yet women wear more masculine styles than not. Pants come to mind. Funny how they leave that part out.
  • mark skyebrand 2012/06/20 17:35:22
    mark
    Having read the entire 66 books of the bible over 18 times...I find your reply ill informed. You might want to try reading through the scripture, you'll find that God condemns all types of immorality. Your prejudice comes through loud and clear....you do not want the creator of this world telling you what you can, or cannot do! Try Romans chapter #1 on for size. (verses 18 -22)
  • rawrimamoocow 2012/06/16 23:28:09
    Great
    rawrimamoocow
    +2
    Shes really pretty and sending a great messege
  • Nameless 2012/06/16 23:19:26
    Great
    Nameless
    +1
    It's actually both.
  • RoyJLores 2012/06/16 22:48:32
    Great
    RoyJLores
    +1
    Where is the "I don't give a flying f*ck" option. Seriously why people don't take their sexual preferences back to where they belong which is the bedroom.
  • TenguPl... RoyJLores 2012/06/17 00:20:18
  • skyebrand TenguPl... 2012/06/17 00:41:21
    skyebrand
    +2
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one...I don't think it is anyones business if I am gay or straight or bi or trans...I don't care who you like to rub up against at night & I don't expect anyone to care about who I choose to rub up against...I don't understand why our sexual orientation should define us as a person????
  • RoyJLores skyebrand 2012/06/17 02:35:27
    RoyJLores
    Tengui is a Moron Skyebrand. Anybody that thinks that his sexual preferences are other people business other than himself/herself and his or her partner/lover whatever is a braindead pile of stinking poop.
  • Keith RoyJLores 2012/06/17 11:19:42 (edited)
    Keith
    No he isn't a moron he can tell others his sexual preference if he wants to, it's a free country, freedom of speech if wants to tell somebody something he has every right.
  • RoyJLores Keith 2012/06/18 04:59:35
    RoyJLores
    And how does that make it other people's business if he does? Nobody gives a damn about what his sexual preference is other than himself, his lover and maybe to an extent his immediate famly such as parents that's it. Anyway he calls anyone that doesn't care about his sexual preference a bigot so it must suck to be him. If he wants to grab people attention maybe he should try stand up comedy or something other than "If you don't give a f*ck that I'm straight or Gay or a Michael Jackson whatever is that he became in the end is a bigot"
  • mark skyebrand 2012/06/20 17:38:09
    mark
    Just read about it from the one that Created you...it's really that simple. Your rebellious, and can't stand the thought of any authority in your life.
  • AngryGabby 2012/06/16 22:43:37
    Great
    AngryGabby
    +5
    Isis: "I was simply born in the wrong body."

Why shouldn't she be allowed to do what she wants just for not wanting to be a boy?

I believe that everyone deserves happiness, as long as they don't have to hurt anyone else to gain it. Does this hurt anybody? No. So why is it even up for discussion?

isis antm
  • Kerymi 2012/06/16 22:23:39
    Gimmicky
    Kerymi
    Not that it's bad; Isis is a pro-model, so I don't see why they shouldn't have hired her' especially for this ad campaign. However; I do think the campaign itself is gimmicky.
  • Party B... Kerymi 2012/06/17 05:37:08
    Party Boy [A7X Bat]
    +2
    You could possibly be the first person I've seen on this poll that sees the gimmick of it, without going on about how it's evil and immoral and crap! Welcome to the club of smart people! :D
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/06/16 22:02:25
    Great
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    She's gorgeous
  • Piano_Lover 2012/06/16 21:58:34
    Great
    Piano_Lover
    +1
    She should do what makes her happy .....
  • Artemis ~PHAET 2012/06/16 21:51:37
    Great
    Artemis ~PHAET
    I'm sure they're likely just doing it to boost sales, but that's the whole point of advertising campaigns anyway, no matter what the company is selling or how it's presented. However, I remember seeing Isis on America's Next Top Model, and she was very inspiring. I'm not even a part of the LGBT community, and I was impressed with her attitude about how others treated her and how hard she's been working for what she wants to do. I'm glad she found work as a model. The fact that someone hired her just proves to others out there in her situation (and anyone struggling to make it, whatever it is that they're doing) that achieving their goals and dreams IS possible, even after dealing with rejection.
  • CatX3 2012/06/16 21:35:46
    Gimmicky
    CatX3
    +2
    I would have hit "Great" , BUT I feel as they're just using her to try and get more support from the LGBT community.
    It would feel less "Gimmicky" to me if they didn't put her in the "Gay OK" type shirts , because it feels like they're just doing that because she's "transgender"...and they could just refer to her as a she/female/woman etc. instead of using the whole "transgender" label...She's a woman is most likely happy being a woman , and has most likely always been a woman , and personally , to me , it feels like they're just using the label "transgender" to get support from the LGBT community......That's just my opinion though. ^^
  • BattleB... CatX3 2012/06/16 22:59:30
    BattleBunnys
    I agree with you!
  • Vieuphoria 2012/06/16 21:27:11
    Great
    Vieuphoria
    +1
    It's a person with a job. This is a good thing.

2014/10/25 00:51:08