American Apparel Debuts First Transgender Model: Great or Gimmicky?

June is LGBT Pride Month, making it the perfect time for American Apparel to debut its first transgender model, former "America’s Next Top Model" contestant Isis King. King, 26, appears in a series of new ads for the provocative clothing chain, wearing Pride Month T-shirts.

"American Apparel is showing bold leadership by being among just a few companies to include transgender people in its national ads," GLAAD President Herndon Graddick said in a statement. "The company’s statement that 'Gay is OK' will reach millions and send an important message in support of equality." King, 26, was the first transgender contestant on "Top Model," too. Do you think American Apparel is making a bold move toward equality by using her in their ads? Or is it just a gimmicky way to get attention?

• Nilam 2012/06/15 22:03:12
    Great
    Nilam
    +36
    geez people, when is society gonna grow up. why should anyone care about another persons preference? media has freely exposed sex, drugs, violence, and much much more and noone seems to have a problem with it, why all the fuss over gay? i personal dont enjoy being with someone of the same sex, but if someone else does, how is that even any of my business? i really dont see the big deal.........

• darazan The Lib... 2012/06/18 18:21:45
    darazan
    Psycho babble? Yet I'm not the one upset to the point of insults and making gross assumptions of the feelings of others. Who are you to say how anyone else feels? You are not them. You cannot read their minds. Just because you have never experienced such a thing for yourself does not mean that it does not happen to others. It's not mental illness to feel differently about yourself. It's not an imbalance in the chemicals in your brain to feel such a way. Saying such is ignorance. That's not an insult, that's a fact. It's simply not learning (or not caring enough to learn) the facts of a situation. As such, you really have no business giving such an opinion on any subject that you don't know about.
  • rylie_love The Lib... 2012/06/15 22:10:53
    rylie_love
    +5
    ummm, what i once was... being a boy, it wasn't a choice... i never wanted it. you (society) 'fooled' me into believing i was a boy. now i am just honest. who is to blame? i think people like you
  • brunyon rylie_love 2012/06/15 22:13:30
    brunyon
    Did you have a dick? if the answer was yes, then you were a male or boy for a general term. sorry about your luck
  • rylie_love brunyon 2012/06/15 22:20:41
    rylie_love
    +6
    what difference does it make? what if i was born with both? what if my sex was ambigious at birth? what then? if you keep asking questions there will always be a "what if" so just accept it and move on...
  • brunyon rylie_love 2012/06/15 22:24:23
    brunyon
    +2
    the world doesn't work with what if's it's cold hard facts. you where born a male. What if I shot rockets from my ass and ice beams form my eyes.. see how foolish what-ifs make someone
  • rylie_love brunyon 2012/06/15 22:33:06
    rylie_love
    wow
  • darazan rylie_love 2012/06/15 23:43:19
    darazan
    +5
    Just ignore the people who choose to stay ignorant about the reality of these subjects. They won't understand because they choose not to learn. Even though I'm happy with what I was born as, and I feel that is who I am, I applaud your honesty with yourself and I wish you all the luck in the world. Don't let ignorant people get you down. :D
  • brunyon darazan 2012/06/16 21:02:51
    brunyon
    ignorant, I have a degree in biology, I think I got it down.
  • Kyle brunyon 2012/06/17 01:22:19
    Kyle
    Doesn't matter how book smart you are. You could have five Ph.D's and be the leading authority in Biology, if you still think like this, you're ignorant. Just the fact that you thought being book smart automatically makes you not ignorant is already proof that you're not as smart as you think you are.
  • brunyon Kyle 2012/06/17 22:49:21
    brunyon
    more importantly batman sucks
  • darazan brunyon 2012/06/18 18:23:15
    darazan
    You can be learned in a subject, but that does not mean you can't be ignorant to others. Besides, my comment was not for you, it was for rylie_love.
  • ChocoCake brunyon 2012/06/15 22:59:11
    ChocoCake
    Hell, if u shot rockets from ur ass and ice beams from ur eyes I'd say it's to visit the ER! Lmao!
    Then join the Justice League.
  • brunyon ChocoCake 2012/06/16 21:04:05
    brunyon
    Awesome now I just need a good name
  • ChocoCake brunyon 2012/09/28 20:15:18
    ChocoCake
    Hmmmmmmmm let me think about that...
  • RevBH rylie_love 2012/06/16 00:00:19
    RevBH
    +2
    You GO, Girl. The only person you need to impress is you.
  • Kyle rylie_love 2012/06/17 01:13:16
    Kyle
    Forget this dude he's just being a dick. There's obviously no helping him.
  • The Lib... rylie_love 2012/06/16 00:01:14
    The Libertarian
    +2
    Oh shut up and take a prozac, society hasn't done a damn thing to you, its all in that little thing in your skull called a brain, making your penis into a vagina doesn't make you a woman, your genetics make you male or female not what you perceive, if you got a damn penis you are a boy, that is how it goes, now go put your big boy britches on.
  • rylie_love The Lib... 2012/06/16 01:31:49
    rylie_love
    +3
    ok so can i am ok with being a boy, but can i look like a girl? talk like one, live as one? it makes me happy. are you going to tell me how i am supposed to act now? tell me i have to have short hair? wear BOXERS? i mean please! tell me!
  • brunyon rylie_love 2012/06/16 21:03:39
    brunyon
    wear boxer briefs better support.. just saying
  • Happy21... rylie_love 2012/06/18 04:45:08
    Happy212121
    So you were born a boy and people treated you like you were born a boy and you're pissed that they did so? Plus you're saying that all the time you knew or thought you were a boy is all due to the fact that society "fooled" you. Wtf????? If you REALLY believe that society is psychic enough to know you're a girl even though you were born with a penis and evil enough to treat you like a boy anyway you probably shouldn't be walking around this earth without adult supervision....regardless what parts you have under the hood. People who treated you like a boy did so because you were born a boy and they were decent human beings not because there exists some underground plot to bring little ole you into the world and terrorize you. As for people who don't understand you the way you wish they did, get over it. That happens to everybody for lots of reasons. All people won't like you. All people won't always agree with you. Deal with it. And remember, for years YOU didn't even know what you were and not because of society either (nice try though). You were just as confused about your being a he or a she as most of us are now. It's good for you that you feel you've FINALLY figured it out but don't expect everybody else to go by your timetable. And one more thing, NOW it's STILL society t...
    So you were born a boy and people treated you like you were born a boy and you're pissed that they did so? Plus you're saying that all the time you knew or thought you were a boy is all due to the fact that society "fooled" you. Wtf????? If you REALLY believe that society is psychic enough to know you're a girl even though you were born with a penis and evil enough to treat you like a boy anyway you probably shouldn't be walking around this earth without adult supervision....regardless what parts you have under the hood. People who treated you like a boy did so because you were born a boy and they were decent human beings not because there exists some underground plot to bring little ole you into the world and terrorize you. As for people who don't understand you the way you wish they did, get over it. That happens to everybody for lots of reasons. All people won't like you. All people won't always agree with you. Deal with it. And remember, for years YOU didn't even know what you were and not because of society either (nice try though). You were just as confused about your being a he or a she as most of us are now. It's good for you that you feel you've FINALLY figured it out but don't expect everybody else to go by your timetable. And one more thing, NOW it's STILL society telling you that you're "transgender". How can you trust them now? Aren't they the same ones who so rudely treated like you a boy just b/c you WERE? Now that you look like a girl I guess you want society to treat you like a girl. Well why should just based on how you look? They did that before and you got royally pissed off. Sounds to me like you don't know what you are or what you want AND it's all society's fault. You need to grow up first and then decide if you wanna be a "Man" or a "Woman" because right now you're not acting like either one!
  • rylie_love Happy21... 2012/06/19 00:43:55
    rylie_love
    i could reply to this... i actually did write out everything explainging my thoughts, but really it isn't worth it. i'm not "royally pissed" by any means, maybe annoyed? i don't blame anyone, just the lack of knowledge when i grew up about trans issues.

i just want kids who grow up now not to torture themselves for wanting to be a girl when they are a boy or vice versa like i did :)
  • Silent Bob 2012/06/15 21:10:15
    Gimmicky
    Silent Bob
    +5
    It's just an act for all of those people who think they're gay or bi. It's getting old. Take your gayness and shove it. We don't care who you love as long as you don't shove it in our faces 24/7!
  • ~writer... Silent Bob 2012/06/15 22:13:16
  • Hailey ... Silent Bob 2012/06/16 02:49:51
  • Silent Bob Hailey ... 2012/06/16 03:01:14
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/06/15 21:10:08
    Gimmicky
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +4
    He looks half starved... The new generation of size zero, even the men are getting in on the action...
  • keshaisstupidgagarules 2012/06/15 21:09:53
    Great
    keshaisstupidgagarules
    hey she was on antm!
  • JuliaLoren 2012/06/15 20:59:28
    Great
    JuliaLoren
    i want those shirts!
  • FatherL... JuliaLoren 2012/06/15 21:26:23
    FatherLiberty
    +4
    Why? The shirt doesnt make sense. Being gay is already legal. No one is being arrested for being gay....
  • Bigbrow... FatherL... 2012/06/15 22:45:43
    Bigbrowneyes
    There are a lot of hate crimes against gays, and it is still very stigmatized. So many people are uncomfortable with it, that exposure to the idea may help regard it as less shocking and more a part of some people's lives. Especially around where I live.
  • FatherL... Bigbrow... 2012/06/15 23:08:41 (edited)
    FatherLiberty
    +3
    I am not to sure about that. I see many straight people becoming more and more critical or gays because it is contantly being shoved in their face. I have never in my life had a problem with gay people. I always believed people have the right to live their life however they choose so long as it doesnt harm another person. But I too am becoming somewhat annoyed with it constantly being thrown infront of our faces. Why have a gay pride parade? Your pride is within you, you shouldnt have to show off for other people. It is actually pretty damn pathetic I think. Live you life however you want, but dont force others to accept and appreciate it. I have lived with 90 percent of all people hating me for my beliefs, but the difference is, I dont care if they accept me or not.
  • Bigbrow... FatherL... 2012/06/16 01:22:57
    Bigbrowneyes
    Well, I guess we're just different. I know that people are insecure and need ways to feel better about who they are. I don't see it as pathetic. The whole issue of "coming out" can be a very big deal for someone who is gay, and I feel like it shouldn't have to be so controversial--you are who you are. If people didn't get so enraged over other people's sexuality who have nothing to do with them, then gays would not have to create "pride" with these events. There are lots of parades and events concerning ethnicity, and I don't see a problem with that, either. These types of things are for people who have been made to feel ashamed of something that they are. That kind of public display is not for everyone though. You don't need it, but it could be beneficial to someone else.
  • AngryGabby FatherL... 2012/06/16 23:07:57
    AngryGabby
    +1
    I think the reason for the gay pride is because of all the torment that some gays receive from society. All the parades and stories are to show the people that have been bullied about their sexuality that they aren't alone and that they should feel good about themselves.

It can be somewhat compared to the cancer survival marathons and such. They're happy that they came out okay (no pun intended) and they want to bring hope to others in their situation.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to offer an explanation.
  • Fxckiin... FatherL... 2012/06/16 03:47:50
    Fxckiin Brii
    I don't get why they have their parades.. Yes, they are gay.. big woop.. Why make a deal about being gay if they don't want people to make a deal about being gay?
  • JuliaLoren FatherL... 2012/06/18 18:26:30
    JuliaLoren
    i take it as being accepted, not technically "legal" some things arent supposed to be taken at face value obviously
  • chyna 2012/06/15 20:59:13
    Great
    chyna
    +1
    Isis looks amazing! He/She makes a beautiful model. :D
  • MissJo chyna 2012/06/15 21:37:57
  • chyna MissJo 2012/06/15 22:25:42
    chyna
    ok thank you. i wasn't sure which to say. :)
  • MissJo chyna 2012/06/15 23:42:11
    MissJo
    No problem. (:
  • Tony 2012/06/15 20:59:05
    Gimmicky
    Tony
    +1
    No such thing as bad publicity

2014/11/01 11:15:52