All babies (in the womb of course) start off as girls? I already knew this, did you?

♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2012/01/27 05:25:47
All babies do not start off as a girl in the mother's womb.

Here's why:

Women only produce X chromosomes. Men produce both X and Y chromosomes. XX = female and XY = male. When a woman's egg (X) is fertilized by a man's Y sperm a boy baby is conceived. When a woman's egg (X) is fertilized by a man's X sperm a girl baby is conceived.

So the man makes a son or a daughter. The woman is unable to determine the gender of the baby. During conception there is a 50% chance of creating a boy and a 50% chance of creating a girl but either way it all depends on whether a Y sperm gets to the egg first to fertilize it OR an X sperm reaches the egg first.

Gender is complete at the moment of fertilization (conception) and then the baby (whether male or female) continues to grow and develop in the mother's uterus (womb).

-----

^That's not fully correct

All babies do have a set gender but they do all start off with female sex organs. This is because the male organs form from chemical stimulation of the female organs. We don't know why this is.

And in cases of pregnancies at an older age, there is more chance of chromosomal abnormalities, which means the mother could be the one to create the male baby (and not the dad like normal pregnancies).

• Maximus 2014/06/23 20:09:17
    Maximus
    +1
    Wait does this mean what i think it means... I USED TO HAVE TITS
  • Sarah 2014/01/04 22:18:20
    Sarah
    It's a myth. It started because our gonads are in the abdomen at the beginning of our formation. If the male contributes the male chromosome (Y) the baby will develop into a boy - moving his gonads down out of his pelvic area so they could become testicles.

If the male contributes the female chromosome (X) the baby will develop into a female - the gonads are in place already though! Since ovary's remain in the abdomen, people assume that means we all start out as females.

But gender is not determined by the position of the gonads on a zygote. The chromosome the sperm is carrying from the male is what determines our gender.
  • Mina Pham 2013/01/31 01:16:33
    Mina Pham
    +1
    Yes. I learnt in psychology that babies actually start off with female sex organs. After 11 weeks or so of development, the baby's gender is determined. If the baby gets a testosterone wash, then the baby will form genitals and will become a boy. If not, it will continue to develop as a girl. We were studying about how girls have more wiring in their brains and came upon this topic :)
  • Sarah Mina Pham 2014/01/04 22:19:17
    Sarah

• Brosia 2012/02/26 03:20:26
    Brosia
    +1
    I did know that. I remember making fun of the boys in class when we learned it.
  • mama sew,gung ho 2012/02/21 02:34:00
    mama sew,gung ho
    +1
    Well I say,"the women of the world."Have done their part in populating<"the entire planet!"Why you ask?"Because we LOVE!"And for the most part our Mothers taught us so much!And for nothing else,we should all thank our mothers for that!"Word from a Mother"
  • Bocephus 2012/02/07 21:53:52
  • alicia.... Bocephus 2013/04/02 23:31:58
    alicia.shift.3
    Generally, this is true. It's not always true. We need to account for that. If I recall the theory correctly, it's that the Y chromosome has a big part in triggering the change from female to male. It is always possible to have a defective Y, or it's also possible for this trigger to be external. You do get the occasional girl with XY or boy with XX. It's rare, but it does happen. It's not necessarily fair to say that we all start out as female, but without this trigger we all would become female. It's just a LITTLE more complex than simply XY is male and XX is female. That's a good way to think about the basics, but the actual science runs deeper.

We can think of it a lot like Newton's Laws. They are great for making calculations, but they will eventually fall apart in some circumstances (say, as we approach the speed of light), so we use Einstein's Laws to FURTHER understand things. But even Einstein's Laws will break down (say, inside a black hole).
  • P_S92 alicia.... 2013/04/24 23:58:03
    P_S92
    +2
    The boy is a YX not an XY. You always put the dominant chromosome first. The only way it could be an XY is when the female gave the dominant chromosome and that is rare because that is a sure sign the baby would have a defect. I learnt that the sperm justifies weather the baby is a male or female. Neither gender shows up until 11 weeks along. Its very hard to tell which way is the truth. All we know is that between 18 to 20 weeks whoever wants to know will find out if they are having a boy or girl. This is just another amazing thing our body can do.
  • Sarah P_S92 2014/01/04 22:21:15
    Sarah

• stephen 2012/02/02 19:11:33 (edited)
    stephen
    +2
    the most common sign of this is male nipples the reason men have them is because we all form in the womb off of the female template. when the fetus reaches a certain stage of development, the sexual characteristics start to form based on the predetermination of the sex of the child due to the previously stated XX or XY chromosomal differences. the penis is actually an over sized clitoris, the scrotum is a closed over vagina (thats what causes the line down the middle, thats where both ends met and fused) the testicles were obviously ovaries, the term balls drop ring a bell, its because they start off inside your abdomen, just like ovaries, but drop to their current position usually shortly before birth, but can occur afterwards, sometimes years afterwards, and the path they follow to the scrotum is what was going to be a vagina otherwise. the prostate is essentially a smaller uterus... didnt anyone pay attention to biology in highschool
  • je shoemaker 2012/01/31 06:29:59
    je shoemaker
    +1
    Biology 101?
  • Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA 2012/01/31 02:00:40
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    "male organs form from chemical stimulation of the female organs" Yes... that's exactly how my husband said it works... my female sex organs stimulated his male organ and for both of us... that worked out JUST FINE!
  • Spyderman739 2012/01/30 16:35:51
    Spyderman739
    +1
    I knew that!
  • Merhabi Daham 2012/01/30 13:35:32
    Merhabi Daham
    +1
    I prefer to think of all babies as androgynous until they develop genitalia, it sooths the mind.
  • Queen Katherine 2012/01/30 05:22:36
    Queen Katherine
    +1
    Of course I did.
    +1
    What?!
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦ... Andrew 2012/01/30 03:39:30
  • Andrew ♌βļąƈʞƦ... 2012/02/03 02:33:13
    +1
    I also wonder why some men think they're women and why some women think they are men.
  • O'l Jarhead 2012/01/29 05:05:46
    O'l Jarhead
    +1
    Yes I knew that. But it was a surprise at first. I'm glad to have heard the explanation of how that change takes place. Life is very interesting.
  • Claybern 2012/01/28 23:47:32
    Claybern
    +1
    Come on give me a break.
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦ... Claybern 2012/01/29 01:04:42
  • BAMACRUSADER 2012/01/28 21:22:18
    BAMACRUSADER
    +1
    That's weird. how the hell do they know this?
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦ... BAMACRU... 2012/01/28 22:43:24
  • Evie 2012/01/28 19:49:44
    Evie
    +1
    I knew this.
  • ♠~Eric-Kun~♠ 2012/01/28 19:12:32
    ♠~Eric-Kun~♠
    +2
    Yeah, I knew this. I read too much, that's why :3
  • Soot The Fallen 2012/01/28 19:02:59
    Soot The Fallen
    +1
    Since i was about 11 and studying basic genetics.
  • Jayfeather 2012/01/28 18:46:21
    Jayfeather
    +1
    already knew it. Did a research project about Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome once. Some of the websites mentioned this.
  • hari 2012/01/28 16:23:54
    hari
    +1
    Sonography shows clearly
  • lionheart 2012/01/28 14:08:22
    lionheart
    +1
    Interesting, I did not know this. I just knew it was up to biology to determine gender.
  • XxxSassMasterxxX 2012/01/28 06:11:15
    XxxSassMasterxxX
    +1
    of course i knew that . its the basics in genetics
  • clasact 2012/01/28 05:50:27
    clasact
    +1
    basic info their
  • Lovita 2012/01/28 05:12:48
    Lovita
    So how come the mom is always blamed when she gives birth to a GIRL????????
    AND when I was in intermediate school, our PE teacher told us that when a woman's ovaries and a sperm mixed together, the woman could have a baby. ( I thought females were born with sperm like frogs). BUT, she failed to tell us that the woman had to have intercourse to have a baby and that only males have sperm! Back then, I guess the teacher was not allowed to say "intercourse" or "have sex" to us 12-year old students.
    You have any idea how stressed out I was whenever I had my period every month, thinking I could be pregnant because of my period????? Period equaled PREGNANCY!!!!! I finally found out from my high school friends what intercourse is.
    I certainly hope sex education in school has improved since 1962!!!!
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦ... Lovita 2012/01/28 05:19:07
  • niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20 2012/01/28 04:11:05
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    +1
    Women do not get the chance to unfold in uterus.
    So they spend their lives enfolding us. It´s called vengeance.
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦ... niviong... 2012/01/28 05:19:37
  • niviong... ♌βļąƈʞƦ... 2012/01/28 05:38:22
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    LOLA!!!
  • Lovita niviong... 2012/01/28 05:28:48
    Lovita
    +1
    now, now, now. And I'm sure you love every minute of it!!!!!!!!!!! Think of what would happen if a woman's vagina has a spasm and you couldn't pull out? Do you know it's the woman who has to have an injection to relax her vaginal muscle? (i read that in my doctor's office!)
  • pjwinkler65 2012/01/28 01:30:10
    pjwinkler65
    +1
    I did know this.
  • art1ej 2012/01/28 00:53:27
    art1ej
    +1
    well my mom had two girls & two boys so it evened out...

2014/11/25 00:32:29