AGE..And Relationships. When is an age gap too much?

Gr8Scott! 2012/01/22 18:00:49
A 10 or 15 year age difference in a relationship is too much
A 20 to 25 year age difference is too much
30 to 35 years is too much
Over 35 years is too much
There probably no singular answer to this, But can a great age difference survive the turbulence of life's little challenges ?

When the " honeymoon is over" and you are left with each other just as you are, beyond what you PRESENT to others, can it work? Can you form an intellectual bond without shared reminiscences and points of reference ? Will the older party be able to deal with the inevitable insecurity regarding "what if someone younger is more appealing" factor before it turns into the bad seed that grows the destructive tree of jealousy and over possessiveness?

What about music differences, fashions and the like?

Or is it simply irrelevant? (as my hopelessly romantic side screams to me as I type, "IT DOESN'T MATTER! AGE IS JUST A NUMBER, TRUE LOVE AND THE UNION OF KINDRED SOULS WILL CONQUER ALL!")

What do YOU think? When is the difference TOO much? If at all.

• The River Rat 2012/01/22 18:33:00
    The River Rat
    +4
    Many people that are close in age cannot survive the challenges that life throws at them today. Happiness is the key ingredent in any relationship. As long as both of two people are happy, nothing can come between them. The health of both people can have a great influence too. A much older person can have health problems related to age but sometimes the younger person can have health too. Age is just a number. A number is a lot easier to overcome than many of the problems facing partners today.

• Idleheaded 2013/08/15 03:07:34
    Idleheaded
    I actually meant to click 30 to 35 but whatever, I met my wife when I was 14 and she was 18. We loved each other but we had to wait forever, but it was worth the wait. But Meliz is right, I was younger but we have matured together and our relationship is healthy.
  • HotSugarMommy 2012/09/05 02:51:26
    30 to 35 years is too much
    HotSugarMommy
    I am 49 and my BF is 30. Met him on a dating place CougarLure.℃σΜ----. I was really hesitant to date a younger men..I was worried about what my family and people reckon, etc, etc, etc. I swore up and down to myself that I will not date anyone that's younger than 45. Well low and behold here I am in a serious relationship, so madly in-like with a wonderful, affectionate men. He said he really had to make a lot of effort to win my sensitivity, and it was well worth it. I'm so glad he did not give up on me. Well what can I say....LOVE HAPPENS in a mysterious way. Do what will make YOU pleased and not worry about what people reckon. Excellent luck and hope you find your soulmate and like one another unconditionally.
  • firelooker 2012/02/15 00:21:36
    Over 35 years is too much
    firelooker
    Actually i meant to vote none of the above. When I was 19 I dated a forty year old woman who taught me a lot about what a woman likes and how to treat a woman. On an earlier post someone said that was gross and disgusting, i don't think so, in fact when I was 38 i returned the favor by teaching a young 20 yo girl how to please a man.
  • Melizmatic 2012/01/23 23:06:56
    Melizmatic
    +1
    It really depends upon the specific individuals;

For instance; if a 95 year old dates a 75 year old, that's a 20 year difference, but at that point who really cares?

As long as everyone involved is of the age of consent, and are willing participants, then its none of my business.
  • PUNX! 2012/01/23 09:24:39
    PUNX!
    When it reaches pedophilia it's crossed the line.
  • firelooker PUNX! 2012/02/15 00:22:42
    firelooker
    +1
    I agree
  • Ami Kate 2012/01/23 06:15:10
    Ami Kate
    +1
    I don't think age matters in a relationship of any sort. Age matters
  • hollawa... Ami Kate 2012/08/18 21:22:10
    hollaway-linda
    +3
    IS 48 and 22 to much of a age difference.? or 29 and 19.?
  • UrbanHillbilly 2012/01/23 03:13:22
    UrbanHillbilly
    +1
    I hope to married to a 17 year old girl on my 80th birthday. At that age, I won't worry weather or not she gives me AIDS. I just hope I'll be able do something once in a while.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/01/22 23:13:41 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +2
    Personally, no more than 5 years please. It disgusts me to see older men preying upon teenage girls with daddy issues. I'll be honest here. I don't care what other people do, however, I will say that relationships with huge age gaps make me feel uncomfortable. I do not see the benefits to them and I'd never pursue such a thing for myself.
  • NorikoSungirl 2012/01/22 22:57:07
    NorikoSungirl
    +2
    Who is to say that a man aged 55 can't love a woman aged 25 as well as someone her own age? Who is to say that a 47 year old woman isn't a good partner to a 27 year old man? Love is love, and it doesn't care how old you are, what you look like, or what others think. If two people love each other deep enough, they can overcome any challenges life gives them.
  • UrbanHi... NorikoS... 2012/01/23 03:14:45 (edited)
    UrbanHillbilly
    +1
    Well, a 47 year old woman cannot provide a man with children. For a lot of men, that is not just a detail. That is why I do not even look at a woman my own age.
  • NorikoS... UrbanHi... 2012/01/23 03:32:36
    NorikoSungirl
    +1
    Neither can a woman with cervical cancer, or a woman who cannot conceive, so should men rule them out as potential partners? No... Truly loving someone is not about what they can or can't do, it's about who they are. But if you really want children, you can always adopt.
  • UrbanHi... NorikoS... 2012/01/23 04:08:33
    UrbanHillbilly
    Who you are with has a lot to do with what you want out of life. A 20 year old man just wants to get laid. A fourty year old man just wants to get someone pregnant. A sixty year old man just doesn't want to be alone. Love comes in there somewhere, but men have a certain logic to what they do.

I've found that more women have pleasing bodies than interesting minds. Eventually, men lose interest in any particular body. Everybody has to compromise to find somebody. If I am lucky enough to find an interresting woman, I don't want to leave behind a widow AND an old maid, nor do I have any interest in raising other people's children. This is a very ancient rule for sellecting a wife.
  • Bibliop... UrbanHi... 2012/09/05 22:11:51
    Bibliophilic
    You don't speak for all men or women. Not every young man is just looking to get laid- actually plenty of old men have that mindset. Also keep your sexism to yourself. Pleasing minds? I wonder what it takes to please you? I hope that you have plenty of amazing achievements to justify your ridiculous standards.

Selecting a wife? With that sort of rhetoric I'm betting that you will not be 'selecting a wife' anytime soon.
  • UrbanHi... Bibliop... 2012/09/08 10:53:19
    UrbanHillbilly
    You seem the enjoy insulting people. It's easy to tell someone that's speaking in generalities that they're not entirely correct. Duh! Go somewhere else to troll.
  • Bibliop... UrbanHi... 2012/09/05 22:00:22
    Bibliophilic
    A 47 year old man should not be helping create children either- the outcome is often worse for an older man than it is for an older woman.
  • Patrioticprincess 2012/01/22 22:00:09
    Patrioticprincess
    +2
    I wish I could point to a specific amount. If everyone involved is over 18, then it is difficult. It depends on the maturity of the individuals. I know for me it would be very difficult for me to date a man who was more than 15 years older than me because of obvious reasons. I want children, he may not, he may already have children by that age. Also, I am still in school, and I would need him to support that effort. I am not saying it is impossible, and older men are more mature usually which appeals to me, but as I said it just depends.
  • H H 2012/01/22 21:57:27
    H H
    +1
    It really depends on the particular individuals involved.
  • Monster Claws 2012/01/22 21:10:34
    Monster Claws
    +1
    love is love
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/01/22 20:58:50
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +2
    Dude. My husband turned fifty this year, and I'm all like, "I married an old fart!". He needs to get some viagra or something.
  • Gr8Scott! ♒ßεllεc... 2012/01/22 21:02:53
    Gr8Scott!
    +1
    Oh you're fuuuunnnnnyyyyy! At least I hope for your sake you're joking LOL!
  • ♒ßεllεc... Gr8Scott! 2012/01/22 21:04:43
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +1
    sometimes! lol he was in commercial construction for 20 years, so he isn't wiley and spry so much anymore. :/
  • Gr8Scott! ♒ßεllεc... 2012/01/22 21:07:04
    Gr8Scott!
    +1
    Yep its hard work!!! But he knows about tools LOL!!!
  • ♒ßεllεc... Gr8Scott! 2012/01/22 21:08:44
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    Oh yesh. My own, private Norm Abram! :D
  • moonbaby 2012/01/22 20:43:32
    moonbaby
    +3
    As long as the people involved are not a young child with an adult, I don't care how much older someone is than you. It's not my business. An 18 year old could be with an 80 year old for all that I care.
  • D.G.rocks 2012/01/22 20:19:11
    D.G.rocks
    +3
    age doesn't matter, all that matters is the love between them.
  • Gr8Scott! D.G.rocks 2012/01/22 20:20:49
    Gr8Scott!
    +1
    Good Answer! :)
  • Ginger 2012/01/22 20:11:37
    Ginger
    +2
    20 and above and it's like dating your Mom or Dad
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/01/22 18:53:42 (edited)
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +3
    Its only too much when one is legal and the other is not. A 95 year old could date an 18 year old for all I care. They're adults, they can do what they want.
  • Vinny 2012/01/22 18:51:34
    30 to 35 years is too much
    Vinny
    +1
    I would not feel comfortable being in a relationship with a man old enough to be my grandfather!! That's just way over the top for me!!
  • The River Rat 2012/01/22 18:33:00
    The River Rat
    +4
  • Gr8Scott! The Riv... 2012/01/22 20:21:23
    Gr8Scott!
    +1
    Wise counsel.
  • TasselLady 2012/01/22 18:30:46
    TasselLady
    +1
    I usually prefer guys who are 10 years older. I'll even stretch it to 11. I've always been that way.
  • Bibliop... TasselLady 2012/01/22 23:15:19 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    Or is it that they prefer to date younger women? Men are open to dating much younger women, but not usually women who are older.
  • TasselLady Bibliop... 2012/01/24 21:44:04
    TasselLady
    Sometimes. I prefer older guys. If they want to chase young skirts and get burned, all the power to them. Most of those types of guys are having a "mid life crisis" or whatever the hell else they call it, so they often don't see why younger women date the older guys in the first place, and that is mostly for money. All too late they figure out that the young chic isn't so great after all. If these guys would think with their brains instead of their peckers, they might not get in trouble so often.
  • firelooker TasselLady 2012/02/15 00:31:48
    firelooker
    +1
    MMM I have to politely disagree, I had a young thing when I was in my late thirty's, she was HOT!! and the sex was great there just wasn't the intellectual capacity there though.
  • TasselLady firelooker 2012/02/15 13:55:25
    TasselLady
    I see what you mean. And that's with most of them. They're focused on money and getting all they can get. They often give up their bodies in the process. In my case it was different. I was a smart one and was taken for a ride by a guy who had no intentions of settling down. He was 11 years older. But he was a player. I've met only two guys who were older who were sincere. Too bad I didn't latch onto them while I had the chance. But I was too young to know myself much less getting involved with other people totally.
  • firelooker TasselLady 2012/02/15 14:03:53
    firelooker
    +1
    Ah well, hindsight is always 20/20
  • TasselLady firelooker 2012/02/15 14:05:14
    TasselLady
    You got that right. Most guys I run into are still stuck in puberty clear into old age. It's hard to find one who has not only intellectual capacity but also MATURITY. A rarity nowadays.

2014/08/27 23:21:17