Abstract religion.

Lance 2010/08/21 00:14:24
SodaHead Agnostics
Related Topics: Religion, World, Live
A religion based on the world around us, in which worship would affect the likes of crop success etc?
An abstract religion based on a set of principles whose main purpose is preparation for the after life?
It's occurred to me that the monotheist religions practised today are somewhat abstract in nature: and actually serve to breed conflict between their followers.

Each religion asserts the belief that it is the only true religion, and their fundamentalists go further with the intention to make others believe likewise. These bear no resemblance to the planet we live on, or our human activities.

If you consider those religions that worshipped a pantheon of Gods, they represented elements of the physical world, and man's actions. Generally more practical in their nature.

The only commonality is their concept of an afterlife in some form: a product of the human speculation that 'is this the only life?'

Given that Christianity was adopted and spread by the Roman Empire, and later through European colonisation (or trade if considering eastern Europe) it could be argued that it is the religion of globalisation.

If you were to have a religious leaning, how would you worship?

• abycinnamon BN-1 2010/08/25 02:36:04
    A religion based on the world around us, in which worship would affect the li...
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +2
    I think that the nature based religions are the healthiest. I think they encourage respect for the world around us, and I think we could use alot more of that. I also think they can encourage positive behavior - at least I can say that for wicca - what you do comes back to you threefold. If I were going to pick one of the big three, it would be judaisim. I find little to no merit in christianity or islam.
  • Lance abycinn... 2010/08/25 08:28:41 (edited)
    Lance
    I'm tempted towards an idea that religion should reflect nature. It becomes more complicated when you introduce the actions of man- gods of war/ wisdom/ afterlife: but I suppose that it's an inevitable part of our human nature that we do think of our wellbeing (here or when dead).
    We do seem obsessed by the thought that there is life beyond ourselves, yet find it easy to accept that animals are truly dead when their lives have finished.
    Excuse a sudden tract of humour, mingled with discomfort. Imagine being haunted (if they have souls) by those that I have eaten part of!
  • abycinn... Lance 2010/08/25 18:57:48
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    It took a while to let go of the afterlife concept, but I have. If I'm wrong, I sure hope my cats are there. I think animals are the same as we are. I just hope - if there is an afterlife - we don't have bugs. I really don't want to see any bugs. Butterflies would be okay. Otherwise - bugs will just have to be someplace else. But I really think it's just lights out.
  • Lance abycinn... 2010/08/25 19:21:38
    Lance
    Thanks for the thought. I have not quite let go yet. Perhaps it gives me some form of moral code tp think that I will be judged by someone/ code that sees into me- if you understand my line of thought.
    Out of interest have you read the Dorsai Trilogy by Gordon R Dickson?
  • abycinn... Lance 2010/08/25 19:31:11
    abycinnamon BN-1
    No- haven't run across that one.
  • Lance abycinn... 2010/08/25 19:45:03
    Lance
    I no longer have them- which is a shame because they bore great illustrations on the outers- science fiction. But there is one quote by a soldier. Trying to cut it as short as I can, a newsman, wearing the approriate bandolier/ whatever, was accompanied by a relative as cameraman. The soldier shot the relative, who was not wearing the right gear, but not the newsman, despite his protests. The news guy told the soldier that he would see him die for his crime (which he did, but only because the other side won): to which the soldier replied..
    "Newsman. I have done what I have done. You cannot undo that."
    But he would not kill the reporter as he were properly attired. It made me question how we view right and wrong.
    Darn, those paperbacks might have been worth a few quid now, as originals. Just looked up the new editions on Amazon. I know a cover is not everything, but they lack the appeal- they are too cold!
  • abycinn... Lance 2010/08/26 02:44:51
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    I will check those out - they sound worth the read - thanks!
  • ♥Prince... abycinn... 2011/02/17 22:22:12
  • Toria 2010/08/24 13:02:51
    Toria
    +1
    There is a really old time religon from scotland based on personal freedom and group unity with church decisions voted on by the church membership. you might consider checking it out.
  • LuridLolita 2010/08/21 11:42:50
    LuridLolita
    A religion that mostly lets people do whatever they want. It wouldn't be monotheistic.
  • Undecided
    Яᴇv☠Doɴɴγ☠Dooᴍ☠Aɢɴosᴛɪc
    Self then work on the rest.
  • Katie~awkward child♥ 2010/08/21 06:49:19
    Katie~awkward child♥
    I think most organized religion is absolutely pointless. I'd only want to join a religion that encourages growth on a spiritual level(without actually involving ficticious gods) and being at peace with one's self and the world. I think we could really benefit from something like that.
  • Undecided
    Dark Demonic™ ★ The Original SodaHead Guru ★
    +1
    I would find it easier to accept a religion that promotes peace and equality above all else, where the worship of a deity, deities or nature is not necessary but remains a personal choice.

I was raised by a Pagan and an Atheist, but in school we sang Christian hymns and performed nativity plays, so my influences are more varied than most, but I was encouraged to think for myself, question everything and follow my own path.

I am more of an Eclectic Agnostic that picks up various religious teachings that make sense to me personally, but there is no religion so far that I have come across that clicks with me as being something I could believe in. :o)
  • Lance Dark De... 2010/08/25 08:38:49
    Lance
    +1
    Eclectic allows me to collect (reproduction) items of religious signaificance to the Egyptians with weaponry from Rome and the lost pride of our own nation.
    I think that the Greek Pantheon most fits my mind. To me it reflects our mindset far more than any one faith religion would care to consider: which is the fear that drove Christians to commit the first recorded acts of real terror, and eliminate other faiths through the strength of the Empire and embraced global capitalism so readily.
    If anyone from the Christian right is reading this I can expect some abuse...... faiths strength empire embraced global capitalism christian reading expect abuse

Burning 'books' did not begin with the Nazis!
  • reed67 2010/08/21 04:27:58
    reed67
    Your statement " Each religion asserts the belief that it is the only true religion"

Wrong on those who believe in the Judeo-Christian God believes this. I've been a Pagan for 13 years now & in all that time I have never met a TRUE Pagan that believe the above mentioned statement. We DO believe that our faith is right FOR US & that everyone person should find whatever path works for them & live in peace.
  • Lance reed67 2010/08/21 04:39:37 (edited)
    Lance
    +2
    That's an omission on my part regarding Pagans. Apologies- I was driving principally at the Christian/ Muslim (and denominations of) perspective.
  • reed67 Lance 2010/08/21 04:43:22
    reed67
    +1
    No problem just thought I would point that out.
  • Myturn 2010/08/21 02:27:36
    Myturn
    +1
    Worship our strengths, take care of the earth mother and each other...focus on life now and make it as good as we can.
  • Lance Myturn 2010/08/21 03:30:27
    Lance
    +1
    It seems far more sense than inventing a figure to believe in.
  • Gommball 2010/08/21 01:28:20
    Gommball
    +1
    a being who's intent could inspire the best in people and devour evil thinking!
  • Lance Gommball 2010/08/21 01:49:54
    Lance
    Thanks. Far more enlightened than those currently active!
  • Gommball Lance 2010/08/21 01:50:59
    Gommball
    +1
    yep i like it :P
  • SeaSparkzz 2010/08/21 01:18:11
    SeaSparkzz
    +1
    I have a spiritual leaning... It is both realistic and abstract.
    A lot of it is based on the abstract idea that everything is spiritually and energetically connected... but any practice that comes from it is very reality based. It gives me a deeper reason not to kill (bugs and plants included) except for my own protection or sustenance. It also gives me a strong idea of how people should treat each other.
    I revere the earth for all it gives us, and feel that an all prevailing energy flows through all life on earth, but I don't go dancing under the full moon or anything. It just causes me to love and accept more freely and almost unconditionally.

My ideas about the energy have been scientifically discovered and are being studied by scientists.
  • Lance SeaSparkzz 2010/08/21 01:51:14
    Lance
    +1
    A well thought out basis for an alternative to our current faiths.
  • SeaSparkzz Lance 2010/08/21 02:13:27
    SeaSparkzz
    Thank you.

2014/04/21 02:21:52