A World without Religion... Good or Bad?

Freshtildeath 2010/11/27 03:10:28
Related Topics: Religion, World
A debated that's going on this weekend. What are your thoughts and why?

Read More: http://freshtildeathonline.com/wp-content/uploads/...

• Daring Blasphemer BN-0 2010/11/27 04:54:15
    Bad
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    +10
    A perfect world is the goal of the totalitarian and is not attainable. Human nature is to attack what we see as dangerous. I see religion as dangerous and speak about that openly, but I don't advocate it's demise. If we allow the fundamentalists to take over it would ruin this country, but if we allow their freedoms to be curtailed the same is true. There is no perfect solution. I am quite happy just to have a government without religion and until we develop a better idea our Representative Republic is still the best way to avoid the worst of human nature.

• Daring ... Pet Roc... 2010/11/27 05:18:49
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    +3
    I agree to a point. In the book 'The End of Faith' Sam Harris makes a point that the fundamentalists are the only true believers. Those who follow the texts as they are written without the interference of modern scientific and social knowledge are the only real followers of the various religions of the planet. His argument goes on to say that moderates allow these fundies to do the out of control things they do because they realize deep down the truth that they are the only true followers. That is why Bin Laden is known as the 'Conscience of Islam' and is not condemned by the moderates.
    Good
    +2
    Religion is the bane of society. Tha absolute most daming words Jesus had for any part of society was for the religious leader.
  • Destiny 2010/11/27 04:38:35
    It Can be Both
    Destiny
    +4
    Depends. I mean a lot of people need that spiritual stuff which helps them make it through the day...but then again a lot of people kill other people because of religion
  • Char. Limit 2010/11/27 04:22:31
    It Can be Both
    Char. Limit
    +2
    Oh my, yes, it can be both.
  • DoxieDad 2010/11/27 04:17:13
    It Can be Both
    DoxieDad
    +1
    Religion is a human made manifestation that tries to answer the third and forth fundamental questions of a sentient being, Who am I? Why am I here? God christian or otherwise is a simple answer to a question that can not be easily answered and is a cheap excuse.

The first two are; Where's the Food? and When do I get laid?
  • Sheila DoxieDad 2010/11/27 05:11:43
  • Ash-the-empress 2010/11/27 03:50:38
    Bad
    Ash-the-empress
    +1
    Without religion, life would not be the same. Art and music and architecture would be lost. Granted, we would not fight over it, but we would find something else to fight about.
  • Unmitig... Ash-the... 2010/11/27 04:03:22
    UnmitigatedJubilation
    +1
    How would those things be gone?
  • Ash-the... Unmitig... 2010/11/27 21:24:02
    Ash-the-empress
    Read below
  • Naui Ash-the... 2010/11/27 05:38:35
  • Ash-the... Naui 2010/11/27 21:23:37
    Ash-the-empress
    Really?
    If there had not been religion, we wold not have the Parthenon, St.Basil's Cathedral, Gregorian chant, classical music, or classical paintings done in the medieval, Renaissance periods.
    gregorian chant classical music classical paintings medieval renaissance periods
    gregorian chant classical music classical paintings medieval renaissance periods st basils
  • Naui Ash-the... 2010/11/27 21:49:00 (edited)
  • Ash-the... Naui 2010/11/27 22:37:33 (edited)
    Ash-the-empress
    We would still have torture and murder. Children and adults would still be sexually abused. We would have all the same crimes, its just that none of them would be religiously based.
    Human morality would be different as well. We would be barbaric.
    Your argument isn't very stable
  • Naui Ash-the... 2010/11/27 23:24:36
  • Ash-the... Naui 2010/11/28 02:04:38 (edited)
    Ash-the-empress
    How? I have solid evidence and research on my side, as you have...your opinion?
    You keep pressing your side of the argument when clearly you are outmatched. You have a right to dislike religion, but do not be so ignorant as to deny something this important.
  • Naui Ash-the... 2010/11/28 04:01:52
  • Ash-the... Naui 2010/11/28 04:36:12
    Ash-the-empress
    And yet you still haven't given me a counter argument.
    Obviously you will not listen to reason.
    Your just another ignorant fool who cannot see past his own nose.
    Its unfortunate that the world is full of people like you.
  • Naui Ash-the... 2010/11/28 04:41:07
  • Ash-the... Naui 2010/11/28 22:28:40
    Ash-the-empress
    Ah yes, but we weren't talking about YOU were we?
  • seathan... Ash-the... 2010/11/27 06:06:51
    seathanaich
    +2
    "Art and music and architecture would be lost."

What a ridiculous claim. There is nothing about art, music, or architecture which is dependent upon religion. I'm sure if you think through this again, you'll realise that.
  • Ash-the... seathan... 2010/11/27 21:19:16
    Ash-the-empress
    Western culture was built around religion. The Greeks built great temples to honor their gods. Paintings done in the Renaissance period, the medieval period, etc. were mostly centered around religion.
    The great cathedrals in France and Britain and the rest of Europe are a major part of the culture.
    Apparently you have never read books on architecture. Next time you want to sound smart, do your homework.

europe major culture read books architecture sound smart homework the parthenon
    europe major culture read books architecture sound smart homework cathedral
    europe major culture read books architecture sound smart homework the madonna
  • Naui Ash-the... 2010/11/27 23:26:57
  • seathan... Ash-the... 2010/11/28 21:44:40
    seathanaich
    "Next time you want to sound smart, do your homework."

Anyone who claims that art can't exist without religion is, to be blunt, completely ignorant. Pointing out that SOME art is religious doesn't prove this, it merely begs the obvious question - how do you explain ALL the art out there that isn't religious? People who make claims like "do your homework" are usually the people who are the easiest to refute.

"Western culture was built around religion."

Well, no, it's built around much more than that, but culture has traditionally been influenced by religion. Of course, religion is far more affected by culture than culture is by religion. For example, note that "Christian" societies in Haiti, Poland, and Kenya are completely different from each other.

"The Greeks built great temples to honor their gods."

And they also built beautiful buildings for education and marketplaces.

"The great cathedrals in France and Britain and the rest of Europe are a major part of the culture."

Who is claiming otherwise? That doesn't support your bogus claim that art would not exist without religion.
  • Ash-the... seathan... 2010/11/28 22:31:10
    Ash-the-empress
    Perhaps I should rephrase. Art would defiantly exist without religion. I was talking about all the famous beautiful paintings which were influenced by religious figures and symbols.
  • seathan... Ash-the... 2010/11/28 23:07:05
    seathanaich
    "Art would defiantly exist without religion"

Yes, I agree. Thanks for re-stating your original comments. It's a refreshing change from all the people on this site who aren't big enough to do so. Cheers.
  • Max7 2010/11/27 03:47:06
    Max7
    It depends on what you consider "religion," religiously you can do anything, good, bad or indifferent. Now if the question was in regard to being godly spiritual, I feel that the world needs much guidance and protection, "in God we trust."
  • seathan... Max7 2010/11/28 23:13:02
    seathanaich
    I personally have had enough of people who trust in their gods.

personally people trust gods
  • Max7 seathan... 2010/11/28 23:22:55
    Max7
    The spirit of God was present even in this terrible act, had it not been there things would have been a lot worse, it could have been detrimental to every corner of the earth. spirit god terrible act detrimental corner earth Trust In God With Your Heart And Soul
  • seathan... Max7 2010/11/29 00:07:11
    seathanaich
    "had it not been there things would have been a lot worse,"

What drivel. If any gods existed, and actually cared about humanity, they would have snuffed out the terrorists. It's vapid and brainless to claim otherwise.
  • Max7 seathan... 2010/11/29 16:55:50
    Max7
    seathan talking to you is like talking to air!
  • seathan... Max7 2010/11/29 22:31:06 (edited)
    seathanaich
    Hi Max. To people who disagree with me, but can't carry on a coherent or respectful exchange, I'm sure it must be frustrating conversing with me. I do ask questions that make people uncomfortable, and do insist upon staying on-topic, which can be hard in a written format.

You commented that your god ensured that only a few thousand people died in the religious terror act I enclosed a picture of. Yet surely a real god could make the body count "0", if such a god operated as people claim it does. Believe in your god all you want, but when you make claims that your god intervened to make sure that "only" a few thousand people died, I think you need to be told what a ridiculous and completely indefensible claim that is. If you think I'm like talking to air, I don't want to insult you with an counter-analogy; but I will say that it's baffling to hear someone claim their god can prevent a tragedy from being "bigger" but won't stop the tragedy in the first place. After all, why did your god stop the body count of the Holocaust at 6 million? Wouldn't 4,000 have been enough, like at the 9/11 attacks? Claims that your god intervenes need to be examined by you from a different perspective, if you want to see how crazy they appear to others.

However, if you are here to have your opini...

However, if you are here to have your opinions re-affirmed by people who already share them with you, there are plenty of people here who will do that for you. Cheers.

* * * * *

Ah, another "bitch and block" Christian who can't tolerate any opinion other than her own, and who equates intelligent writing and "big words" with arrogance. Whatever you need to think to justify your own prejudices, sister.
  • Max7 seathan... 2010/11/30 02:59:41
    Max7
    No you don't make me feel uncomfortable, I just dislike needless communication. You believe what you believe, and I believe what I believe, so our conversing with one another is a waste of time. Plus it's not that you make me feel uncomfortable, but you display disrespect and arrogance in your communication.
  • Maria 2010/11/27 03:43:26
    Bad
    Maria
    religion has done an equal amount of good in this world, but it isn't surprising that someone would try to give the impresion that religion is bad. Why not try to see what good religion has done.
  • Daring ... Maria 2010/11/27 05:08:13
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    +3
    You can't miss the good, they are so humble they can't wait to tell you about that. It is the bad and the denial of the bad stuff religion does that scares people.
  • seathan... Maria 2010/11/27 06:07:41
    seathanaich
    +3
    What that's good has religion done? I'm not trying to be smart or rude, this is an honest question.
  • darwolf seathan... 2010/11/27 08:07:22
    darwolf
    First i know the bad religion has done. But i know some good it's done like the christians in Darfur who puts their lives on the line every day to protect innocent people from genocide.
  • seathan... darwolf 2010/11/28 21:45:27
    seathanaich
    "it's done like the christians in Darfur who puts their lives on the line every day to protect innocent people from genocide."

My understanding is that the pepole of Darfur being persecuted by Muslims are mostly animists, not Christians.
  • Master Maria 2010/11/27 15:39:03
    Master
    +2
    The bad that religion has caused far outweighs any good that's come from it.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2010/11/27 03:40:39
    Bad
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    I wouldn't be caught dead (or alive) without mine.
  • tewaz1 2010/11/27 03:31:05
    Good
    tewaz1
    +3
    While I would never assert my wishes over the will of others.
    I do think that the division that religion causes far outweighs the benefits that it offers to the individual who is ruthless enough to use it to exercise power over others.

2014/09/02 14:07:29