A Self-Making Bed: Brilliant or Bad Idea?

Have you ever woken up in the morning and wished that your bed would just make itself? Well, a Spanish furniture company has got you covered.

OHEA’s new “smart bed” can function on either automatic or manual mode. Under automatic mode, three seconds after the last person gets out of the bed, mechanical arms begin pulling the pillows, sheets, and blankets back into place. The entire bed-making process takes about 50 seconds from start to finish. The same mechanics take place in manual mode, but they are initiated by a remote control.

According to the company’s website, there are a few built in safety features. “If the mechanism is activated when the person is still in bed, the device will not function and if pressure is applied to the bed while it is being made (with the mechanism functioning) the device stops immediately until the remote control is again activated (if the switch is set to the manual mode).”

Overall, the OHEA smart bed seems pretty great! However, it does have one big flaw: the bed only works with the company’s bedding. On the plus side, though, inserts do allow you to adjust the comforter seasonally.

So, what do you think SodaHeads? Is OHEA’s self-making smart bed brilliant or a bad idea?

Read More: http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/smart-bed-m...

• Blonde Rebellion 2012/06/10 17:59:01
    Bad Idea
    Blonde Rebellion
    It doesn't really matter to me ,I never make my bed when I get up anyway..
  • hannah 2012/06/10 17:57:14
    Bad Idea
    hannah
    yeah brilliant way to become lazy and a brilliant way for future generations to not even know how to do the simple effortless task: making a bed. yeah reeeaaallll brilliant. and i thought MY generation was lazy. makes me feel bad for the future generations. unless people get encouraged to exercise near daily
  • Lakota ... hannah 2012/06/10 18:27:07
    Lakota Deviant
    +3
    I'm sure some people had the same thought when they got running water instead of having to walk to a well or when we invented dishwashers or garage openers or a remote controls or microwaves or washing machines. I use all these things does that make me lazy? I'm more productive because of these things and my time and effort is more focused on school and work. It's not as if magically the energy I'd use to make the bed is wasted or disappears it goes towards other things.
  • hannah Lakota ... 2012/06/10 19:32:19
    hannah
    well as in lazy i dont mean sleeping all the time. i mean lazy as in everything becomes automatic. nothing takes work anymore. a life with hardly any effort is a dull life.
  • Lakota ... hannah 2012/06/10 19:43:27
    Lakota Deviant
    People can work hard and have automation in their life. Some people might choose to be lazy with their free time and energy while some might take it to do productive stuff. Technology empowers us to push how far we can go good or bad. I don't think my life is any duller because I don't have to hand wash my clothes.
  • hannah Lakota ... 2012/06/11 01:34:34
    hannah
    well maybe YOU use it to help you get out there and do lots of things in YOU'RE daily life, but as for younger people especially teens (as i would know myself by watching my peers) and even younger it doesnt help encourage them to get outside. our generations have gotten lazier because of it. not that technology is a bad thing, but it should only be used for practical things such as safety and tracking and recreation and to make harder tasks easier, not making things too easy to where we have to do almost nothing for ourselves. i mean whats next? robotic maids? sounds ridiculous but in this era its not too far-fetched. soon our latter generations will forget how to do simple tasks because they will be replaced by technology that does it for us. in my opinion thats kinda sad
  • Lakota ... hannah 2012/06/11 05:04:11 (edited)
    Lakota Deviant
    If your going to capitalize whole words why don't you use the right word. I guess auto correct is another piece of technology that can be misused. I'm sure YOUR dependence on it has lulled you into thinking that what you have written is grammatically correct. I'm just busting your balls, sorry.

But really a bed that makes it's self isn't going to be the downfall of society. Why are robotic maids so ridiculous or a bad thing? We have real maids that clean and make beds. What would the difference be to the person using them? Are rich people who have maids lazy or do they just have better things to do with their time then to clean. Obviously they have talents and drives so well suited to contributing to society that they get paid boatloads to hire people to do menial, tedious, meaningless things such as making a bed. We have advanced as a society so we don't need to do so many tedious things freeing up our time and energy for progress and our own pursuits.

What exactly would we forget how to do? Put a blanket over a bed? Please. And what exactly is the correlation between going outside and making beds? Your scale of what is too easy and what isn't is arbitrary and can change over time and has. If we were able to tell your great great great great grandfather of all the conveniences we have today he'd say we're a bunch of lazy spoiled babies who probably can't function without our fancy gadgets and in his opinion be "kinda sad".
  • hannah Lakota ... 2012/06/11 17:24:58
    hannah
    actually it wouldnt be a total lie that we have become lazy because of technology. for instance (although people still have free will) now that cars have become much more affordable and stuff and ever since online and its sites such as facebook and other things like that have made their debut the obesity rate has went up because a larger amount of people are more inclined to be at home or in cars rather than outside walking or jogging or really anything. kids dont even run around and play like they used to. theyd rather be home on facebook or playing video games. now i have nothing against either. i LOVE video games and facebook is fairly decent. however you cant deny that technology HAS played a role in the laziness of today's generation. all i saying is that i think enough things are convenient. we should only improve upon the necessities now such as safety, 3ducation, and stuff like that. the majority needs to be encouraged and even pushed a little to be more active rather than at home on the computer or tv or in their air conditioned cars day after day. im not saying YOU do that but the MAJORITY does and if easy self-tasks keep becoming more and more convenient less and less people are going to want to do things for themselves. i guarantee it.
  • Reuben Rennick 2012/06/10 17:50:21
    Brilliant
    Reuben Rennick
    +1
    The idea is good, but not for someone like me who wants to keep it simple and stupid.simple stupid
  • Kei_Jo 2012/06/10 17:42:33
    Bad Idea
    Kei_Jo
    Another useless idea for laziness. And I wonder why half the developed world is fat.
  • Heavy 2012/06/10 17:29:03
    Bad Idea
    Heavy
    +1
    People are lazy enough as it is. But I don't care if my bed is made anyway. I'm just gonna sleep in it and mess it up. Oh wait... I don't have a bed. I sleep on the living room floor lol.
  • HelmetGirl 2012/06/10 17:28:58
    Brilliant
    HelmetGirl
    I am so going to buy one of those.
  • Bad Idea
    Jersey Roze ♥Jwon's Cyar'ika ♥
    +1
    I'm not that lazy. That's a little too dependent on technology for me...
  • Kitty Jersey ... 2012/06/11 09:55:15
    Kitty
    I agree.
  • rascal 2012/06/10 17:18:54
    Bad Idea
    rascal
    have we really become that lazy we can't even make our own beds??
  • Brilliant
    ϟ Emma ϟ_♥loves♥supernatural♥
    +2
    yes! i want that bed! Its going to be creepy till get use to it..but then its going to be awesome!
  • Cookie 2012/06/10 17:05:05
    Bad Idea
    Cookie
    +1
    I'd rather make my own bed,at least I'd know it was done the way I do it and not by somebody's companies standards.
  • 001 2012/06/10 17:01:45
    Bad Idea
    001
    +2
    Useless. I guess it's true what they say, lazy people get creative. Or maybe people who want to make money get creative for lazy people.
  • vis_viva 2012/06/10 16:58:17
    Brilliant
    vis_viva
    The mechanics could be better but I the idea is good.

I have little patients for people who are against development because drudgery provides some kind of good work ethic. If you believe that kind of thing join the Amish and I'll see you when it's time to buy some apple butter.

I've never had much respect for the philosophy "that's how my parents did it, that's how my grandparents did it, so it's good enough for me."

Give me a smart, slightly-lazy but PRINCIPLED person with a good work ethic A good work ethic does NOT mean you working harder but dumber. It means you what what NEEDS to be done because it needs to be done. If you have a bit of natural laziness in you but still have enough of a work ethic you do what needs to be done but consider possible BETTER ways to do it (and if you're smart you can make that happen).

There will always be work to be done. Coming up with better ways to do today's work is how mankind develops. It's what made this nation and western civilization strong.
  • geneticmistake 2012/06/10 16:58:08
    Bad Idea
    geneticmistake
    No thanks. Wouldn't work with my pillow arrangement anyway.
  • Bucky 2012/06/10 16:51:19 (edited)
    Bad Idea
    Bucky
    +1
    It reminds me of the Charlie Chaplin's eating machine :)

• sundance 2012/06/10 16:45:11
    Bad Idea
    sundance
    +2
    Bad idea, especially for children. I'm not nearly as worried about their safety, as I am their work ethic. Is easy to wire safety function into the bed. Is not easy to wire a sense of responsibility into your children. Simple chores, like making the bed for instance, begin to build work ethic. Like we need to give our children ( or ourselves), just one more reason to depend on something (or someone) else, to do our work for us. We are fast becoming a society of fat, lazy, physically incapable techno-junkies. And regardless of popularity, I do not want one of those robot vacuums, or a car that parks itself....Just a thought....
  • Bibliophilic 2012/06/10 16:35:47 (edited)
    Bad Idea
    Bibliophilic
    +4
    bed eating man

Think of the possible malfunctions- anyone?

Also, I leave things on my bed. My cat is there, as are books and a few pencils.

Also, this bed will not pick up pillows from the floor or at the foot of the bed.

The bedding that comes with the bed is boring and not thick enough. In the winter I sleep with a heavy down comforter and an electric blanket.
  • rascal Bibliop... 2012/06/10 17:20:28
    rascal
    also I love that bed in your pic...I have not seen anything like that before love it..
  • Sybil Bibliop... 2012/06/10 20:53:38
    Sybil
    Soooo creepy! *shudder*
  • Jay Victoria 2012/06/10 15:37:25
    Brilliant
    Jay Victoria
    I used to be the type to ALWAYS make my bed, but now I'm like "meh..."
  • BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROC... 2012/06/10 15:32:04
    Bad Idea
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +2
    gross, The bed could accidentally malfunction and teabag somebody.
  • Cookie BOOGIE-... 2012/06/10 17:01:59
    Cookie
    +1
    Yep and that's nasty,nasty,nasty.
  • BOOGIE-... Cookie 2012/06/10 20:56:08
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +1
    Bed idea
  • Cookie BOOGIE-... 2012/06/11 10:53:47
    Cookie
    +1
    Agreed.
  • Hope 2012/06/10 15:11:44
    Brilliant
    Hope
    I think thats a excellent idea i dont have to make up my bed anymore so thats cool.
  • AngelaDuke 2012/06/10 15:08:06
    Bad Idea
    AngelaDuke
    People are so lazy. It takes 10 minutes to make your bed. The Wall-E storyline is coming true faster than I expected. Pretty soon were gonna have a machine to help us get dressed, cars that drive themselves( already pretty close) and we already have grabbers for when we don't want to bend down, self feeding pet bowls and online grocery shopping. So pathetic.
  • 001 AngelaDuke 2012/06/10 17:07:46
    001
    +1
    Cars that drive themselves are actually a pretty good idea, they already have a type of pod that drives itself. It's very safe. People make more accidents than those things do.
  • jacob crim 2012/06/10 15:01:35
    Bad Idea
    jacob crim
    +3
    How much lazier can we GET!?
  • Michael 2012/06/10 14:24:05
    Brilliant
    Michael
    What about having this mechanism on the kids room floor! Now, that would be brilliant.
  • Z-Wolf 2012/06/10 14:12:31
    Bad Idea
    Z-Wolf
    +2
    So I can't throw my pillows off my bed in the middle of the night? Because that's what I do! I don't want my ferret getting smothered, because he sleeps in my bed some nights, and if I get up, he'll die. What about when it gets cold? Can it handle a big blanket, cuz I needz to get my snuggle on!
    no me gusta gif
  • les_gvt 2012/06/10 13:48:40
    Brilliant
    les_gvt
    +1
    It would never work for me, because I can have the covers so twisted after one night, the arms would be tangled, but I like the idea that people are still coming up with new innovations and that we have not lost all of our creativity
  • Kashee 2012/06/10 13:47:18
    Bad Idea
    Kashee
    +1
    I wouldn't like it. I want a top sheet extra wide so I can roll up in it.
  • ♥•judy•♥ 2012/06/10 13:42:12
    Bad Idea
    ♥•judy•♥
    +1
    YOU SHOULD GET UP AND FIX YOUR OWN BED HOME MADE G HOME MADE BED
  • 001 ♥•judy•♥ 2012/06/10 17:08:55
    001
    That's an awesome bed.

2014/11/28 06:59:00