A Random Act Of Kindness Goes Viral: This DQ Manager Did The Right Thing

ProudProgressive 2013/09/21 15:38:24
For once, here's a story about something good, and about the values that all Americans are supposed to have.

Article excerpt follows:

by T. Steelman
September 21, 2013

This modest, mid-western, teenaged Dairy Queen manager meant to keep his good deed quiet, but one of his customers reported him. Photo from WCCO TV.

Just another late August day at the Hopkins, MN Dairy Queen turned into an opportunity for one man to do the right thing. Manager Joey Prusak was working the cash register and taking orders when a moral dilemma presented itself.

He was helping a blind man at the counter when his customer dropped a $20 bill as he was paying. Prusak saw the woman behind his customer stoop down and scoop the bill up. He says he thought she was going to return it to the blind customer but what she did next made Prusak angry:

"I expected to her to be like ‘Oh, sir, here you go.' But she just stood there and watched him walk by and she then put it in her purse."

When the woman approached the counter, Prusak asked the her to return the money. She refused, lied and said it was hers, that she had dropped it. They had words. Exasperated, Prusak told the woman to either return the money or leave the store because he was not going to serve someone so disrespectful. She stormed out.

Prusak proceeded to serve his other customers, apologizing for the fracas. When he was done, he found the blind customer and gave him $20 out of his own pocket. He tried to be unobtrusive but another customer had seen the whole thing. She filled out a comment card, praising Joey and writing that she would forever be a Dairy Queen customer. The note made it to corporate headquarters and was shared among employees. One of them took a picture and posted it on Facebook. The rest, as they say, is history.

Prusak is modest about his actions, even after getting a phone call from company owner Warren Buffet:

"He called and thanked me for being a role model for all the other employees and people in general. I was just doing what I thought was right. I did it without even really thinking about it. … Ninety-nine out of 100 people would've done the same thing as me." (source)

The spokesman for Dairy Queen International, Dean Peters, told reporters that the company is trying to figure out a way to reward Prusak. I have a suggestion: since Prusak is trying to save money to attend business management school, maybe Buffet could find him a job at the corporate level while the young man is attending school. What better way to learn business management than from Buffet? No matter what the reward from DQ is, Joe Prusak will always have the reward of knowing that he did the right thing. We need more like him.

Read More: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/09/21/dairy-quee...

• remy 2013/09/23 02:42:42
    remy
    +1
    What a beautiful thing!! He just did what he knew was right....I LOVE that! I hope they reward this young man.
  • MO.gal 2013/09/23 02:41:17
    MO.gal
    +1
    What a wonderful story! Wouldn't it be grand if everyone was as honest as this young man? We need more people like him in this world.
  • Sissy 2013/09/22 11:29:51
    Sissy
    +5
    What is the most heartening in bringing this incident to attention, is that you will honestly find such acts more than you won't. Its just that mayhem makes better news and headlines. I think the suggestion you gave for giving a reward that will influence his life is the best one anybody could come up with.
  • Piper 2013/09/22 02:40:43
    Piper
    +4
    It is always good to to hear about the many people among us, who go out of their way to help a fellow human, or other animals.
    He has been recognized and applauded, while of course many are not. It's always a GOOD thing, when they are........
  • wtxwoman 2013/09/21 18:26:26
    wtxwoman
    +4
    Buffett should pay for his schooling and give him a promotion.
  • ProudPr... wtxwoman 2013/09/21 19:22:23
    ProudProgressive
    +5
    Wouldn't surprise me at all if he did. I like what the author of the article suggests - get him out of DQ and into a corporate office where he can learn to be an even better manager than he obviously already is.
  • naked_and_barefoot N.I.T. 2013/09/21 16:35:25
  • C. C. Rider 2013/09/21 16:30:51
    C. C. Rider
    +8
    What a great way to start the week end off!!

Always nice to see good over evil win!!!
    +7
    The young man did the right thing for the right and very unselfish reasons. Congratulations to the young man.

As for the woman who stole the $20 bill. There is such a thing as KARMA, and when (not if) it comes around to bite her on the ass, I hope it is an Orca that does the biting.

I just wonder if they had security cameras? It would have been recorded. It then could be turned over to the police for prosecution.

2014/10/21 18:44:17