A Living Wage: What is it?

Foxhound BN0 2012/07/08 16:03:01
I think a living wage would be enough to....
I don't know.
What would you call a living wage? (That is, what does one need, not in money but in things, to have an acceptable living?)

What kind of home, car if any, education, services, medical care, etc. would you need to consider someone to have enough to live on in America today?

I think this is a good question. Please rave it.

• oldcavpilot 2012/07/08 17:06:06
    I don't know.
    oldcavpilot
    +4
    Different everywhere. Some places people can live like humans on minimum wage; in NYC you'd have to work over an hour to buy a cup of coffee.

• William 2012/07/14 05:12:40
    I don't know.
    William
    It's a subjective question that depends on who is doing the hiring. I'm not worth anything to the NBA. On the other hand to a department that maintains their company's Internet presence, I could be worth $75/hr..
  • Foxhoun... William 2012/08/01 15:08:50
    Foxhound BN0
    How much would you need to support a family of four?
  • rightside 2012/07/13 18:40:32
    rightside
    +1
    It is probably a lot lower than most people think. When my husband and I got married, we got by on very little. If you asked people to do the same today, the would scream bloody murder.
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/12 22:07:27
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    mIn 45,000.00 - 9000 for taxes = 36000. I lived on that with my Dad for 4 years. But lost it when he died. I was his caretaker during that time
  • Drew 2012/07/10 17:34:27
    I don't know.
    Drew
    +1
    It's different everywhere: in Québec, with a minimum wage (9.65$/hr) you can live, but you'll have to either have no social life so you'd be able to pay your apartment (because yes, unless you have a few partners to live with and with whom to pay a house, you'll live in a small apartment) when you retire, or work until you die.
  • JCD aka... Drew 2012/07/13 15:19:29
    JCD aka "biz"
    What about the cost of medical care? What if you get sick?
  • Drew JCD aka... 2012/07/14 12:03:00
    Drew
    +1
    the RAMQ (Régis de l'assurance maladie Québec) issued medical cards, for every citizen, making them eligible for the Québec healthcare services.
    only if you need special treatment (cancer, plastic surgery, etc...) will you have to pay, but nothing major (up tp a few thousand maybe, depending on the treatment, but less if you have insurance that covers that sort of things)
  • JCD aka... Drew 2012/07/15 18:01:07
    JCD aka "biz"
    Thank you, merci.
  • Mikel_mad2002 2012/07/10 08:56:34
    Mikel_mad2002
    Be living comfortably
  • Soundstorm 2012/07/10 07:56:27
    Soundstorm
    A living wage is something politicians and bureaucrats are certifiably unqualified to determine and yet they refuse to accept it at great harm to wage earners and their employers.
  • Foxhoun... Soundstorm 2012/07/10 19:45:29
    Foxhound BN0
    give it a rest. don't you have any opinions of your own?
  • Soundstorm Foxhoun... 2012/07/11 22:26:03
    Soundstorm
    I'd like to give the whole progressive left wing centralized control Great Society welfare state bureaucracy a rest. How about yourself? Do you have any opinions that aren't subject to the approval of the mainstream government media complex? Or are they always monitoring your statements?
  • Foxhoun... Soundstorm 2012/07/11 23:34:24
    Foxhound BN0
    since bush they can spy on us all they want so who knows. the subject at hand isn't about politics it's about what you think people should be happy with. what kind of living do you feel is enough to give people a happy life.
  • Soundstorm Foxhoun... 2012/07/12 10:23:12
    Soundstorm
    Who says I should be thinking about what other people should be happy with? What if I don't like their taste in music? Where do you get the idea that each individual isn't responsible for his own happiness? I absolutely reject that question on principle.
    And I pity the low level bureaucrat who would be assigned the dismal agonizingly inane detail of spying on me and my boring life. I'd feel compassionate enough to buy the poor bastard a drink sometime.
  • Foxhoun... Soundstorm 2012/07/12 11:57:20
    Foxhound BN0
    Who says you should be thinking about what would make people happy? That's IS the question. Get your mind off of government for a minute.
  • Soundstorm Foxhoun... 2012/07/12 23:37:17
    Soundstorm
    You're the one asking "what kind of living do you feel is enough to give people a happy life." So it's obviously you. I'll get my mind off of government as soon as it gets it mind off of grasping for more control over our lives.
  • aneed2know 2012/07/10 07:05:12
    aneed2know
    +2
    Okay this may not answer the question but here it goes. I think a living wage should be, work that pays. I was watching a TV show on Home and Garden Network and it was dealing with two Americans moving to Switzerland and one of the people on the show said it perfectly. "In Switzerland we work so that we may live, in America you guys live to work"

So how about this, enough to pay the bills, enough to put away for retirement and enough so that you can enjoy the American dream.

I was reading some where that the most visitors to our national parks are not Americans but foreigners, with Canadians being first, then followed by Chinese and then Germans, now that says a lot.
  • Foxhoun... aneed2know 2012/07/10 19:47:14
    Foxhound BN0
    +1
    yep. we can't afford to drive around our own country but others can afford to come and enjoy our country from overseas. pretty sad. they get healthcare we can't afford too.
  • aneed2know Foxhoun... 2012/07/11 05:10:40 (edited)
    aneed2know
    +2
    Very sad, but the worse thing about it, is they all think we are fools, Switzerland where Romney hides his money, taxes all bank accounts so in essence by them hiding their money there they are paying for the very socialist programs that they tell us wont work here. Then you have the happiness index, when has America ever been in the top ten, or quality of life all these things make for a peaceful vibrant society, which we do not have. You have people who are born in a state grow up in a state, will not move more than 50 miles from where they were born and all this serves to separate the populace from one another to see them as some how foreign. That is the saddest part of it all.
    +1
    Supply the daily needs of housing, food, clothing etc. PLUS provide for health care and retirement.

With an approximate 3.4% rate of inflation, as referenced by past experiences, a single person would need a minium of $58000 per year in income and would need to be indexed each year for inflation.
  • cowboy 2012/07/09 20:38:21
    I don't know.
    cowboy
    +1
    Tough to determine because of simple things like geography. People do not need cars in new york city because they have public transportation. People in Texas usually live too far from jobs, so they need cars. People in miami do not need major heating systems in their houses. People in nome need very good heaters.
  • Foxhoun... cowboy 2012/07/09 22:51:43 (edited)
    Foxhound BN0
    okay so everyone needs access to work, a roof over their heads, and utilities. maybe health care.
  • cowboy Foxhoun... 2012/07/10 09:53:21
    cowboy
    Actually everybody needs the chance to get all of those things for themselves. By making sure hiring and paying practices are fair, people should have the exact same chance at getting the things they need without Gov. assistance.
  • Foxhoun... cowboy 2012/07/10 19:48:15
    Foxhound BN0
    Partisan yacking points have nothing to do with the question.
  • gumybare69 2012/07/09 19:07:15
    gumybare69
    I think it's what ever makes you happy.
  • Roger47 2012/07/09 04:25:59
    Roger47
    +1
    Enough to live off of, put aside money for retirement, and have the occasional vacation. Being able to have affordable medical coverage would be critical.
  • Platinum Fangs 2012/07/09 03:04:08
    I don't know.
    Platinum Fangs
    +2
    $25,000 per year I guess. Just above the poverty line. Cost of living goes up, wages stay the same. That's our problem
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/07/09 00:33:45
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    housing, food, clothing, transportation. For self and family
  • FortunaVeritas 2012/07/09 00:25:42
    FortunaVeritas
    +2
    The ability to own and keep maintained a motor vehicle that is less than 2 decades old, the ability to afford internet and phone service and to get a contract with a smartphone, the ability to afford utilities and rent on a one bedroom flat or contribute a fair share to renting a multiple bedroom apartment, the ability to afford mid-range insurance on the relevant insurances in one's life, enough leftover after taxes and bills to be able to have disposable income, the ability to update one's wardrobe as necessary due to the economic climate, and above all else, the ability to contribute more than one's fair share to responsibly affording to bring a child into the world.
  • Foxhoun... Fortuna... 2012/07/09 00:33:23
    Foxhound BN0
    +2
    Thank you. Well thought out answer.
  • TheR 2012/07/09 00:03:48
  • Foxhoun... TheR 2012/07/09 00:50:46
    Foxhound BN0
    +2
    I agree with some of what you are saying but you don't know people very well. Those who give will be brutalized and controlled by those who take. With or without money, a few aholes will rule over the rest of us, some of us will always be jealous of what others have, and some of us will be left with nothing.

the question is, what does a person need to have a happy life?
  • TheR Foxhoun... 2012/07/09 03:18:20
    TheR
    +1
    Like I said, the internet can help us, when we need help to stop those takers, who don't know how to work and give. A happy life is when we are not controlled by money, and by takers, who exploit others for themselves. It is when we work and give for the support and betterment of each other, our families, and friends.
  • Firefly 2012/07/08 23:35:31
    Firefly
    +1
    Enough to provide myself with the basics,

is all I really need, and I'm good with that, as well ~

Been watching "Mountain Men" on the History.com website...

Dude in the Blueridge Mountains lives on about $2,000.00 per year

on his 1,000 acres, provides for himself, and seems more than content ;0 )

http://www.history.com/shows/...

I guess it's all relative to who you are, where you wanna be, and

what you wanna do, that determines your 'acceptable' living wage ...
  • A Lionh... Firefly 2012/07/09 04:17:46
    A Lionheart
    +2
    His 1000 acres make him wealthy in a sense.
  • Firefly A Lionh... 2012/07/09 04:34:00
    Firefly
    Definately !

In the sense of

the wealth he gained

( i.e. Peace of Mind ) being

self sufficient, and off the grid ;0 )
  • A Lionh... Firefly 2012/07/10 05:49:30
    A Lionheart
    +1
    If only we all had a thousand acres. Unfortunately I have a 1600 square ft apartment.
  • Firefly A Lionh... 2012/07/10 05:55:32
    Firefly
    I'd be content with a couple hundred acres...

But, actually, I'm kinda content with NO acreage too ~

I guess if you plant yourself where ya wanna be, happiness grows !
  • A Lionh... Firefly 2012/07/10 06:01:55
    A Lionheart
    +1
    What???? Yeah if only we could all just plant ourselves where we wanna be...never mind where you come from (as in resources). If I could snag a thousand acres I would. Are you willing to finance me?
  • Michael McFascist 2012/07/08 23:01:01
    I don't know.
    Michael McFascist
    +1
    People who make 30 dollars an hour are struggling to make ends meet...I was talking to an old iron worker who told me that back in the late 60's early 70's he was making 6 dollars an hour and never wanted for anything, he had no problems paying the mortgage on his house or his car note and he still had plenty left over to to play with and to put away and save...things have changed alot I guess.

2014/11/27 08:18:28