$8,400 House in Detroit: Can the Motor City Rebound?

Fef 2013/01/02 20:00:00
Detroit Zillow
ZILLOW.COM reports:View 14 photos, tax records, sales history, and home values for 19757 Huntington Rd. This home is listed for sale at $8,400.

Read More: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/19757-Huntington...

• Texas Johnny 2013/01/02 20:18:44
    Texas Johnny
    +16
    As long as democrats and the unions are in charge it will die a slow death and the people of Detroit who voted democrat are in large part responsible and deserve their fate!

• The Pro 2013/01/04 19:11:27
    The Pro
    Anything is possible as long as there is still private industry involved. There is potential and who doesn't like a good deal anyway?
  • Chaguy 2013/01/03 20:57:47 (edited)
    Chaguy
    All they need is some help from Eminem (who's a native) or another native
  • Professor Wizard 2013/01/03 20:50:49 (edited)
    Professor Wizard
    +3
    I wouldn't give $5,000 for it...

The liability insurance alone would cause you to go bust.

Actually - - THAT house is no longer for sale.. but there are several in that neighborhood that are according to ZILLOW...

I found a couple with the asking price of $9k.. most were Foreclosures and As-Is sales.

The vast majority of the houses in that neighborhood are valued at $24,000.

Doing a Street View drive-by, you will note most of the houses have barred windows and doors, and many have gated driveways to help protect their cars.

usually a bad sign, when so many take such measures!
  • zbacku 2013/01/03 19:07:51
    zbacku
    +2
    As one who has lived in Detroit and knows what it looks like, Detroit is indeed a Dead city.
    All I have to do is drive by my old neighborhood. It is now a jungle and war zone rolled into one.
  • Misty 2013/01/03 18:54:32
    Misty
    Of course it will.
  • Savious 2013/01/03 18:41:16
    Savious
    YES I think they could; but I don't think they will do what needs to be done in order to recover.
  • intolerantrwj 2013/01/03 17:47:42
    intolerantrwj
    +2
    ...... Jeepers, I can't for the life of me figure why nobody is interested in living there.

They have a vivacious, bubbling economy with so many entrepreneurs .....

drug dealer on corner prostitutes working corner
  • PJ Sweet Cheeks 2013/01/03 16:59:48
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    +3
    They will keep voting in liberal democrats that have ruined the city!!! They want different results while voting the same people in!!!
    Some would argue the city of Detroit has experienced a boom and bust like no other in the last century. With the automotive and factory industry in the 1920s and onward spurring the city’s population, infrastructure to support it followed. But industry changes led to economic downfall that depressed the city, causing much of the population to leave, while its infrastructure remains, crumbling.
  • Flowers 2013/01/03 16:47:20
    Flowers
    +3
    The people who live there, and the politicians who were put in charge, did this to themselves. Did anyone bother to clean up after themselves?? did anyone bother to band together and actually HELP prevent crime by disciplining children in the family?? Did ANYONE take steps to make things better for each other? DON'T EXPECT SOMEONE ELSE TO DO WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN DOING IN THE BEGINNING. So a huge industry fell apart, does that mean the entire town should have given up without at least trying to clean the city up so other big companies felt it was safe enough to move there??
  • Profess... Flowers 2013/01/03 21:02:17
    Professor Wizard
    +1
    But... they are liberals.. they DEMAND that SOMEONE (other then themselves) do SOMETHING!

IT IS THE LIBERAL WAY!

Detroit and Chicago can't stop crime.. so they are going to try to stop guns instead. That way it looks like they are doing something - just for those that demand it!
  • Flowers Profess... 2013/01/03 22:08:59
    Flowers
    +2
    Yeah well, banning guns does jack to fix things!
  • low pro... Flowers 2013/02/06 07:09:10 (edited)
    low profile
    +3
    Amen!!!!!! That is so true what you said, These people here in Detroit sit up and have all of these children don't discipline them or teach them anything! They basically raise themselves and become monsters who have destroyed this great city! A lot of the people in the city are entrenched in ignorance! I feel so sorry for the older generation who once lived in a safe thriving city, a place where people used to get married and have children and discipline them, instead the older generation has to see their city go down the drain while they try to maintain their properties and try to persist to live the american dream and hold on to the memory of a great city they once knew!
  • low pro... Flowers 2013/02/06 07:12:10
    low profile
    +2
    They also need to get ridof these Marxist Liberals who are running the city! Every since Mayor Coleman Young took over the city the city has went downhill! I am tired of these Black Liberals destroying Detroit and I am a black person that is saying this!
  • Harriet M Welch 2013/01/03 16:42:19
    Harriet M Welch
    The Motor City can, will and is rebuilding. We have a child attending University of Detroit Mercy and we can vouch for the slow, sure, yet encouraging resurgence. May I also note that this house listing, being in a cold, wintery area with a basement may be listed at this price because of mold. Black mold. Don't judge an entire city because of this listing. That said, there are great deals to find in great houses if you want to invest in Detroit!
  • baxter 2013/01/03 16:32:10
    baxter
  • bill.fleming.77 2013/01/03 16:14:06
    bill.fleming.77
    I hope so since many peoples lives are dependent on Detroit to become a viable working city again.

As long as it can now remain a right to work state. It may take a decade for business to risk going back to Michigan and testing the waters. But it is a good first step.
  • ant0n1us 2013/01/03 16:00:45
  • ant0n1us ant0n1us 2013/01/03 16:04:23
  • Mungu ant0n1us 2013/01/03 20:54:13
    Mungu
    %$#@ dude you taking away my buzz with all this academic blame on the deep seated culture/politics of the region. $#@! I feel like I should get college credit for reading your post, therefore I will just ignore it and blame the problems of the poor minorities that live there.
  • mike j 2013/01/03 15:47:36
    mike j
    This would be an excellent opportunity for the federal government to assume the outstanding balance on these propertys and allow folks that have no where else to stay move in. The government pays no property taxes and is self insured so no homeowners insurance is required, so people could live in those house for almost free, the government require applications like for section 8 housing and the occupants can pay for their own utilities . This way the government can by right control who lives in the house and abuse of the property will not be tolerated. If the house becomes unusable the government can blade it down and clean up the lot to keep vandalism down. Only the federal government has the money on hand to do this and do it right. Even local national guardsmen could be used to police the governments property and make sure all propertys are secure and well maintained . For those that can work or care to work , the government can take industrial buildings and have those that will work make uniforms , helmets, and boots for our military men and women.
  • Rebel [SHP] 2013/01/03 15:45:47
    Rebel [SHP]
    +2
    No...I doubt it lol.
  • lucky 2013/01/03 15:44:30
    lucky
    +1
    The taxes would be higher than the Mortgage payment.
  • 4570GOVT 2013/01/03 15:43:14
    4570GOVT
    +3
    It will NEVER rebound as long as the same bunch of CORRUPT CRIMINALS are in charge !
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2013/01/03 15:38:47
  • Harriet... Chris -... 2013/01/03 16:44:25
    Harriet M Welch
    I thought that was the best way to save a jackass?
  • Chris -... Harriet... 2013/01/03 20:31:18
  • low pro... Chris -... 2013/02/06 05:44:54 (edited)
    low profile
    +2
    That is an excellent solution to it! I live in the Detroit area and I can truly say that the Liberals have destroyed the city of Detroit! I feel that your solution is the best and Detroit should NEVER allow a Liberal/Socialist/Commie anywhere near it ever again!!!
  • Chris -... low pro... 2013/02/06 17:24:00
  • low pro... Chris -... 2013/02/07 11:42:03
    low profile
    +4
    Your welcome, That was a perfect idea you came up with! :-)
  • AdWhois 2013/01/03 15:32:06
    AdWhois
    I often wonder why average people from other parts of the country don't just go to detroit and buy an entire block, put a moat around it and have a small kingdom. At these rates you could do it cheaper than buying a 3,000 SF house in other parts of the country. :D

But no, Detroit will not bounce back.
  • low pro... AdWhois 2013/02/06 05:51:32
    low profile
    +3
    If the average American would do that, they would need to stockpile on guns to protect that kingdom!
  • AdWhois low pro... 2013/02/06 19:24:07
    AdWhois
    +1
    lol. Or just hire security guards with all the money you're saving :D
  • low pro... AdWhois 2013/02/07 11:42:52
    low profile
    +1
    absolutely! LOL!
  • GINGERBREAD 2013/01/03 15:04:34
    GINGERBREAD
    +2
    Easy! All they have to do is get rid of all these liberals, socialists and communists in their government. These voters have to realise that there is no "FREE LUNCH". Somebody always has to pay for some body's "FREE LUNCH". How's getting rid of the "RICH" get you?
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2013/01/03 14:49:23
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    Whoever is selling this house may be trying to get traveling money.
  • TommyB 2013/01/03 14:45:21
    TommyB
    There is a reason Bobby Bare wanted to go home.
  • alex 2013/01/03 14:24:47
    alex
    Anyone CAN rebound. If property value goes up then yes, they will but people need to start taking care of the properties they already have along with more people moving in that arent trash. When I was looking for houses there were quite a few in dayton that costed less than that. Its been half a year since then so im not sure how much that has changed.
  • David 2013/01/03 14:22:55
    David
    I believe anything is possible but the changes needed to help all decaying inner cities to rebound must come from the outside and from within. A neighborhood, community or region is defined by it's citizens and their actions along with the economic community. Any turn around would take many years and business and industry will have to make the first move.
  • Trish 2013/01/03 14:16:41
    Trish
    This is my home, so many people have so low hope for it. If you don't live here you don't know what truly is going on. We can rebound, have some faith sheesh.
  • zbacku Trish 2013/01/03 19:14:37
    zbacku
    +1
    I drove through my old neighborhood last month. It is a dump, war zone and overgrown jungle. Out of 30 homes, 5 looked like there were people living there. The rest, including my old home were trashed beyond repair or boarded up. No one in there right mind would move back into the neighborhoods of Detroit.

2014/08/31 10:38:51