83-year-old Santa Ana woman gets "boob job": Should she have been talked out of this, or do you think it's okay?

the_old_coach 2011/08/11 16:31:24
QUICK EDIT NOTE: The question is asked in relation to an 83-year old woman having major elective surgery, NOT whether she has a right to spend her own money or have elective surgery. 83 is an age when having surgery of any kind is very risky.

'Granny's boob job': 83-year-old Santa Ana woman ignites debate

A Santa Ana woman is making national news after getting breast implants at age 83, unwittingly finding that her new breasts are now front and center to controversy.

It all started with a New York Times article about Marie Kolstad who, at 83, is a full-time property manager with a total of 25 grandchildren and great-grandchildren. But something wasn't quite right.

She put it this way: "Your breasts go in one direction and your brain goes in another." So she spent $8,000 on a boob job -- specifically a breast lift with implants.

"Physically, I'm in good health, and I just feel like, why not take advantage of it?" she told the newspaper, adding, "I want my children to be proud of what I look like."

The article went on to describe the increasing number of men and women turning to plastic surgery in their older years, and what that says about our culture. But the online world is taking the story in another direction.

"Granny's boob job shows rise of plastic surgery in seniors," said CBS.com, which picked up the story along with Time, ABC and other outlets. Over at ABC, commentators debated the merits, and safety, of such surgery. "It is one thing when a young, healthy woman wishes to undergo the danger of an operation and anesthesia for the sake of her vanity. It is quite another for an 83-year-old woman to do so," said one commenter. Over at ThirdAge.com, Kolstad was cheered on: "Can't take it with you ... go for it grandma!"

Efforts to reach Kolstad on Wednesday morning were unsuccessful, but we'll update this post if we hear from her. Perhaps she's out enjoying her new figure, and her grandkids and great-grandkids.

Read More: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/08/...

• Sheila Dixienc 2011/08/11 18:28:04
    Sheila
    I HOPE you are right Dixie!! But there are some pretty unscrupulous people out there.
  • Sheila the_old... 2011/08/11 18:27:21
    Sheila
    Hey Salt!! I am not always responding to the person who posted the poll. :-) I know you are a fan of freedom!
  • Truth Matters 2011/08/11 16:37:17
    Truth Matters
    +1
    Another reason California should be carpet bombed.
  • Ego Death 2011/08/11 16:35:22
    Ego Death
    +1
    With her metabolism a steady diet of KFC and Denny's could have achieved a similar outcome.
  • JessyBear 2011/08/11 16:33:22
    JessyBear
    +3
    It's her money she can do what she wants - now if the We the people were paying for it - no way.
  • Katfish JessyBear 2011/08/11 16:45:32
    Katfish
    +1
    I agree, her money, her risk.

2014/07/30 23:35:42