83-year-old Santa Ana woman gets "boob job": Should she have been talked out of this, or do you think it's okay?

the_old_coach 2011/08/11 16:31:24
QUICK EDIT NOTE: The question is asked in relation to an 83-year old woman having major elective surgery, NOT whether she has a right to spend her own money or have elective surgery. 83 is an age when having surgery of any kind is very risky.

'Granny's boob job': 83-year-old Santa Ana woman ignites debate

A Santa Ana woman is making national news after getting breast implants at age 83, unwittingly finding that her new breasts are now front and center to controversy.

It all started with a New York Times article about Marie Kolstad who, at 83, is a full-time property manager with a total of 25 grandchildren and great-grandchildren. But something wasn't quite right.

She put it this way: "Your breasts go in one direction and your brain goes in another." So she spent $8,000 on a boob job -- specifically a breast lift with implants.

"Physically, I'm in good health, and I just feel like, why not take advantage of it?" she told the newspaper, adding, "I want my children to be proud of what I look like."

The article went on to describe the increasing number of men and women turning to plastic surgery in their older years, and what that says about our culture. But the online world is taking the story in another direction.

"Granny's boob job shows rise of plastic surgery in seniors," said CBS.com, which picked up the story along with Time, ABC and other outlets. Over at ABC, commentators debated the merits, and safety, of such surgery. "It is one thing when a young, healthy woman wishes to undergo the danger of an operation and anesthesia for the sake of her vanity. It is quite another for an 83-year-old woman to do so," said one commenter. Over at ThirdAge.com, Kolstad was cheered on: "Can't take it with you ... go for it grandma!"

Efforts to reach Kolstad on Wednesday morning were unsuccessful, but we'll update this post if we hear from her. Perhaps she's out enjoying her new figure, and her grandkids and great-grandkids.

Read More: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/08/...

• Gary Johnson 2013/11/23 12:51:50
    Gary Johnson
    +2
    Give her a break! Clearly, at 83, she knew the risks. Major surgery was one of them. This woman has indeed, with kids, grandkids, and great grandkids, obviously "paid her dues". If implants gives her one last taste of feeling sexy and desireable, then LET HER BE!!!! More than likely age will take her out before the negative side effects of breast implants will. It's like this, "Why not?". Go for it Granny! Stomp the gas pedal to the floor, and hang on for what may be your last, fast, ride to come. My hat is tipped to you, ma'am. You have my respect AND admiration for stepping out of the bounds of societal opinion.
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Kellie Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
    +1
    It is another case of money can buy anything. The surgeon was bought, plain and simple. NO, she should not have had surgery at her age unless it is life or death. Her vanity got in the way of good judgement.
  • strawberry 2011/08/13 06:33:16
    strawberry
    +1
    It is ridiculous. I can understand getting breast reduction for very heavy breasts that are not comfortable or cause back pain. Even young women often look hideous getting breast implants sizes too big for them. Their breasts are not in proportion to rest of their body.
  • Spider20 2011/08/11 22:33:05 (edited)
    Spider20
    +1
    Was it this gal? Oooooooooooooooo.....scary

gal old woman in bikini
  • the_old... Spider20 2011/08/12 02:10:10
    the_old_coach
    +1
    No, another one, but wow...
  • Spider20 the_old... 2011/08/12 05:41:15 (edited)
    Spider20
    +1
    Hurts your eyes, doesn't it?
    I have the feeling that pic could be worse believe it or not....I'm so glad it's not a view from behind.....
  • kfallslady 2011/08/11 21:57:29
    kfallslady
    +1
    I really think she shouldn't of gotton the boob job, it was to high a health risk, the plastic surgion that did it should be ashamed of taken advantage of an old woman and putting her health in danger just for money
  • Paint it Black 2011/08/11 21:10:40
    Paint it Black
    +2
    In my opinion i think she is to old for that,but if she does it......... opinion thatbut shrug
    oh well, i'll live
  • Racefish 2011/08/11 20:19:17
    Racefish
    +1
    Don't care.
  • Ms Missy 2011/08/11 20:15:40
    Ms Missy
    +1
    ok....that's just silly. great her corpse will have a nice rack on it...really WTF happened to Sense in this country!???
    if you really want to spend money on boobs grandma donate to the breast cancer foundation or something.
  • Lynn 2011/08/11 19:00:13
    Lynn
    +2
    Did Medicare pay for this? If not, I really don't care. Its her money, her body and her life.
  • gbudavid Lynn 2011/08/11 20:17:14
    gbudavid
    +1
    Yup.. I reckon if it is her money and That she is happy with them It's all good...
  • Lynn gbudavid 2011/08/12 05:05:12
    Lynn
    +1
    I bet she's a hit at the Senior center.....
  • historian 2011/08/11 18:12:27
    historian
    +3
    Putting a new coat of paint on a condemned building.
  • Dixienc 2011/08/11 17:50:28
    Dixienc
    +3
    At 83 years old she has the right to do any damn thing she pleases with her own body.
  • the_old... Dixienc 2011/08/11 18:02:54 (edited)
    the_old_coach
    +1
    Just as you have a right--though you declined to use it--to read the disclaimer at the very top of the article. Next time read the damn article: "It is one thing when a young, healthy woman wishes to undergo the danger of an operation and anesthesia for the sake of her vanity. It is quite another for an 83-year-old woman to do so," said one commenter.
  • Dixienc the_old... 2011/08/11 18:07:26
    Dixienc
    +2
    Excuse me? I read the whole damned thing. Get off your freakin high horse here. I stand by what I said. She has the right to do whatever she damn well pleases with HER body regardless her age.
  • the_old... Dixienc 2011/08/11 18:15:16
    the_old_coach
    Excuse ME? If you read the article above, did you not see the disclaimer? I am not asking if she has a right to have the surgery, I specifically explained that.

I am asking if, medically, should she have ELECTIVE, major intrusive surgery at the age of 83.

No one is disputing her RIGHT to do any damn thing she wants to.
  • the_old... the_old... 2011/08/11 18:37:27 (edited)
    the_old_coach
    Please apologize to the lady from NC.
  • Dixienc the_old... 2011/08/11 19:21:20
    Dixienc
    AND like I said...it's HER decision regardless of what ANYONE thinks of it. She's 83 years old. She's earned the right to do whatever the hell she pleases. Disclaimer or no. Sheesh...do you always get so overheated just because someone doesn't agree with you 150%?
  • the_old... Dixienc 2011/08/12 02:14:08
    the_old_coach
    *sigh* I'm "overheated" because you keep insisting it's her RIGHT to do it when I said that ISN'T what I'm asking...

I was asking if it was HEALTHY for an 83-year old woman to have UNNECESSARY SURGERY when SURGERY at that AGE is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

Just forget it.
  • Dixienc the_old... 2011/08/12 03:47:03 (edited)
    Dixienc
    If her doctor says it's OK then YES she's healthy enough. Just because she's 83 doesn't mean she's at deaths door ya know. 80 is the new 70 and all that. To say that her age is a detrement to her doing what makes her happy is wrong IMHO.

edit: And for that matter...surgery at ANY age is dangerous.
  • the_old... Dixienc 2011/08/11 18:37:56
    the_old_coach
    I want to apologize for sounding so testy. Sorry.
  • Dixienc the_old... 2011/08/11 19:22:28
    Dixienc
    +1
    Apology accepted. And I apologize for letting it get to me. I just know that when I'm her age I won't want anyone, except maybe my doctor, deciding what I am "to old" for other than myself. Lets just agree to disagree on this....and ignore my other post. LOL
  • the_old... Dixienc 2011/08/12 02:14:59
    the_old_coach
    Thank you. We just crossed wires somewhere.
  • Chicken Chick 2011/08/11 17:46:00
    Chicken Chick
    wow- I want to see how they look. yeah but that's a bit old.
  • the_old... Chicken... 2011/08/11 18:05:51
    the_old_coach
    +3
    Here are a couple of examples. Be careful what you wish for.

couple examples careful old woman  with breast implants

• historian the_old... 2011/08/11 18:13:53
    historian
    +2
    Now I have to go eat lunch again.
  • Chicken... the_old... 2011/08/11 21:12:32
    Chicken Chick
    +1
    oh wow- that's insane.
  • magmaman 2011/08/11 17:35:47
    magmaman
    +1
    Sure, if it makes Grandpa happy and tax payers didn't pay for it.
  • Dark Cherry 2011/08/11 17:06:33
    Dark Cherry
    +1
    I don't care.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2011/08/11 16:59:58
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    If she used her own money, so what?

We're funding transgender operations these days with public money so what's the big deal with a privately-funded boob job?
  • the_old... CUDDLY ... 2011/08/11 17:04:25
    the_old_coach
    +1
    83 is pretty damned old for majory surgery. That is the basis of the question, not whether she has the right to have the surgery.
  • CUDDLY ... the_old... 2011/08/11 17:13:22
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    Well, from my perspective, I've seen autopsies done on 96 year old people. That indeed was a waste of money. On the other hand .............

Are you suggesting that major surgery shouldn't be done on 83 year old people? Like, once a person reaches a certain age (70? or 80?) the need for major surgery should be withheld?
  • the_old... CUDDLY ... 2011/08/11 18:00:35
    the_old_coach
    +2
    No sir, that isn't what I am suggesting. I provided two perspectives. I am myself 59 years old.

I, like you--judging from your unit shoulder insignia, was also a medic (U.S. Army Medical Corps, 1970-1976, 91B20 at that time)--and a nurse after the war--and I am familiar with surgery. Autopsies--whether on 96-yo's or not--are a matter of finding out why someone died. At 96 one could say natural causes: old age--unless the person was before that in good health and doing fine. They can be automatic procedure in some places or elective in others, so that isn't quite the same, but I hear you...

I would have asked Grandma there if she understood the increased risk of death with having major surgical intrusion into her body. You know as well as I the increased risk of the use of anethesia at that age, and the increased risk of bacterial infection--especially MERSA. This was--from a medicinal point of view--a risky and unnecessary surgical procedure.

If she elected to have the surgery for her own satisfaction, that is her business, in my opinion, but I sincerely hope that she was counseled about after-effects of such a procedure.

surgery satisfaction business opinion sincerely hope counseled after-effects procedure actual breast implant surgery photos
  • CUDDLY ... the_old... 2011/08/11 18:18:53
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    I hear ya. I'm almost 58.

But personally, I could give a rat's ass whether or not this 83 yo woman was properly counseled or not. It's none of our business.
  • M A 2011/08/11 16:47:55
    M A
    +2
    why not? They were probably sagging to her knees!
  • Sheila 2011/08/11 16:46:46
    Sheila
    +1
    NO ONE'S CHOICE BUT HERS!!! Are we questioning the right to do this or the wisdom? Is it the ethics of the DR in question? I am not sure why I would have a comment on what another woman chooses to risk in her life. This is not a case where anyone but her was facing any risk or harm from her decision. I do question the ethic of the Dr who performed the surgery, but all in all it is HER $$, Her boobs, HER life and HER choice.
  • the_old... Sheila 2011/08/11 16:52:34
    the_old_coach
    +1
    No one is saying--at least not I--that she has no right to do this.

The concern is her age. At 83, surgery is always a risk. Maybe this turns out ok. But the truth is, many of these types of surgeries require future work. I wish her well.
  • Dixienc the_old... 2011/08/11 17:53:23
    Dixienc
    +1
    IMHO I don't think her doctor would allow it if he didn't think she was healthy enough to handle it. My mom's cardiologists is in on any decision concerning anything she does. I'm sure her regular doctor was consulted as to her fitness for the surgery.

2014/08/31 04:35:44