8-Year-Old Kills Father After Teaching Him How To Use Gun: Do you think that children should be allowed to handle guns?

Peter Griffin 2008/11/10 20:06:53
Yes. Children at this age ___ should be allowed to handle guns.
No. No children should be taught to handle armed weapons.
The man who was shot to death by his own son has been laid to rest today at St. Johns, Arizona. The 8-year-old boy is scheduled to appear in court later Monday. He is charged with using a .22 caliber hunting rifle to kill his father Vincent Romero, 29, and a co-worker Timothy Romans, 39, who rented a room in the house. Police say they see no reason why the son committed this act, there was also no indication that the boy has been abused. Under Arizona law, the boy can be charged as an adult. The Romero family, were active hunters who at some point taught him how to handle a gun. Officials say that they are shocked on how the boy managed to load and handle guns at very young age, it was obviously not his first time. This tragic story could have been prevented.

boy managed load handle guns young age tragic story prevented

• Dem0072 2008/11/12 10:12:28
    Dem0072
    +11
    This is a perfect example of knee-jerk reactions, and people making decisions based on their emotions and not reality, and not the average.

I was taught to use guns at the age of 14, and I have several friends who were taught between ages 6 and 10. None of us have ever had any problems, we all act responsibly, and gun safety is the highest priority.

It's 2nd Amendment right, and I am disgusted with people who want to control laws that infringe on the activities of other families. I can't believe that any American would think they are sane in trying to control the people around them by abusing and manipulating the legal system.

The above is a failure on behalf of the parents to properly instruct and instill a proper safety-first mindset into the child. They put too much garbage in, and got a big problem out.

Truth be known, I'll probably buy my kids their first rifles at age 10.

• mmp3 VYoung73 2010/01/27 02:54:49
    mmp3
    +1
    Love it! Good perspective.
  • RealityApologist 2008/11/16 18:59:58
    RealityApologist
    Why was an eight year old teaching his father how to use a gun?
  • sav Reality... 2008/11/17 00:07:46
    sav
    haha the word choice was bad, but the father taught his son to use it
  • bridge 2008/11/16 17:55:46
    bridge
    +2
    There are many responsible gunowners. If a child is taught to shoot a gun it would be under adult supervision until they reach an age of responsibility. This tragedy was avoidable if the Father had acted as a responsible gun owner.

In England they are actually talking about banning knives because the rate of knife murders is becoming excessive in the cities. Should we do the same, or should we keep things like this in protected areas, where young irresponsible children can't reach them.

I know a young woman who recently told my family that as a young girl in high school in Russia, she was taught in school how to dismantle and put back together a Kalashnikov (the Russian version of an AK-47) in 5 minutes. This was fairly recently...not years ago. So I guess you have to assume that the Russians believe their youth should know about guns. Wonder why.

The 2nd amendment is meant to represent Individual Rights.....that's what the Bill of Rights is all about... individuals. If you dont' want to have a gun, don't. Arrest the people who are using them illegally (who will not obey your gun laws anyway I'm pretty sure). Leave the rest of the law-abiding citizens alone.
  • KODA 2008/11/16 17:46:08
    KODA
    +1
    glad I never had kids !
  • Chas 2008/11/16 16:00:45
    Chas
    +2
    My family always had loaded firearms around the house. We were taught to respect the weapon and that it was not a play toy. But then my parents raised us much better then is the norm today. I am glad this kid did not stab them with a steak knife because the liberals would be talking about banning eating utensils.
  • mmp3 Chas 2010/01/27 02:56:15
    mmp3
    +2
    What is it with "the liberals?" That's the 2nd time someone I have seen someone write that.
  • Walter 2008/11/16 15:24:39
    Walter
    +1
    Maybe a little bit late, but it does help to clean up the gene pool a little.
  • SB247 2008/11/16 14:41:34
    SB247
    It depends on how the children have been raised.
  • Tastefully Inclined 2008/11/16 11:27:27
    Tastefully Inclined
    How about a guitar. This instrument wo0uld not hurt any body excluding one's ears.
  • mmp3 Tastefu... 2010/01/27 02:56:31
  • rockmama 2008/11/16 10:23:18
    rockmama
    You wouldn't teach your child to run with scissors...why teach them to handle something as dangerous as guns?

This is not a 'safety first' issue and not an accident. this is pre-meditated murder, by an 8 year old. Is it rational to believe the level of forethought that goes into not one, but two murders can be learned in a video game? Yes it is.

Ours is a culture that is horribly offended by a glimpse of a naked breast (even though most babies are breast fed), but glorifies and perpetuates violence under the sporting guise of 'kill-it-and-grill-it-good-ti... I find it sad.
  • bridge rockmama 2008/11/16 17:57:40
    bridge
    You wouldn't suggest we ban scissors I assume.
  • Larson Whipsnade 2008/11/16 06:48:46
    Larson Whipsnade
    +1
    I was taught to shoot a 22 cal. rifle at the age of 6, BUT my father NEVER let me handle them without supervision until I was at least 16. ANY parent who does not keep his guns locked up in a safe place is asking for trouble. Children should be tought how to use them safely, but never allowed access to them without adult supervision.
  • jstmean 2008/11/16 03:25:21 (edited)
    jstmean
    +4
    I am a member of the NRA, own 8 guns, 2 assualt rifles, and am an excellent shot. I have a conceal carry permit and am very well trained. I would NEVER allow an 8 year old to handle a gun...loaded or otherwise. They are KIDS.

Absolutley reckless.

It doesn't "abolish the Second Amendment". It's common sense. Good grief.
  • mmp3 jstmean 2010/01/27 03:00:30
    mmp3
    Do you think a 16 year old could handle a gun? My husband wants to teach my son how to handle a gun. I am strongly against it. My son is almost 8. I wish I would have known my husband wanted to do that BEFORE I married him. Because then, my son and I could have told him sayonara, and I could have married someone else who didn't feel that way.
  • josh 2008/11/16 00:11:08
    josh
    it would be really dangerous for them and people around them!
  • Jess SHTHO 2008/11/15 23:11:44
    Jess SHTHO
    it depends on how old they are
  • odnalro 2008/11/15 19:17:43
    odnalro
    +1
    The father not only taught the kid to handle guns - he taught him to kill with it.
    You reap what you sow.
    I guess he taught him pretty well.
  • agnespower 2008/11/15 14:45:02
    agnespower
    I read about this case and found some very troubling aspects about it. First, I don’t know if the boy actually shot and killed his father and his father’s friend. Troubling is the fact that the police illegally questioned the boy without an adult family member or attorney present, someone who would have had his best interest at heart. It was reported that the child went to a neighbor’s home to say that he thought his father looked dead. There is no mention where the boy had been immediately before going over to the neighbor’s house to report his father’s still position. We don’t know how long the illegal questioning went on. What we do know is that skilled detectives have been able to break innocent adults to where they have admitted to a crime of murder in which they did not commit. The Michelle Dorr case immediately comes to my mind. She was the little girl who was visiting her father, who lived in Maryland (I believe Silver Spring, MD). When the father reported her missing, the detectives developed tunnel vision and honed in on him as a suspect in her disappearance. Under intense questioning, he broke and admitted guilt, stating that he murdered her and sealed her body in a wall in his home. Well of course it wasn’t true. Police later learned that a man with a history of me...
    I read about this case and found some very troubling aspects about it. First, I don’t know if the boy actually shot and killed his father and his father’s friend. Troubling is the fact that the police illegally questioned the boy without an adult family member or attorney present, someone who would have had his best interest at heart. It was reported that the child went to a neighbor’s home to say that he thought his father looked dead. There is no mention where the boy had been immediately before going over to the neighbor’s house to report his father’s still position. We don’t know how long the illegal questioning went on. What we do know is that skilled detectives have been able to break innocent adults to where they have admitted to a crime of murder in which they did not commit. The Michelle Dorr case immediately comes to my mind. She was the little girl who was visiting her father, who lived in Maryland (I believe Silver Spring, MD). When the father reported her missing, the detectives developed tunnel vision and honed in on him as a suspect in her disappearance. Under intense questioning, he broke and admitted guilt, stating that he murdered her and sealed her body in a wall in his home. Well of course it wasn’t true. Police later learned that a man with a history of mental illness, Haddon Clark, had been visiting his brother (or living with him) in the same home where little Michelle’s girlfriend lived. So, to believe that the eight-year-old committed the murders, I must have evidence. The premise that one is innocent until proven guilty is just that – a premise. Once the media prints or broadcasts the government’s accusation, too many people absorb it as truth. A wise attorney would caution his or her client from publicly defending himself or herself, because anything that the accused says or does can be twisted, misinterpreted, and taken completely out of context. Has anyone read or heard any interviews from the neighbor whose home where the eight-went went to alert someone? Was the boy bloody when he appeared at his neighbor’s door? Too many unanswered questions to assume that the boy, who should be considered innocent until proven guilty, actually committed the crimes.
  • Tiger Annie. AMERICAN. . w... 2008/11/15 09:59:16
    Tiger Annie.  AMERICAN. . waving the flag!
    Every child should be taught how to SAFELY handle a gun. People are so afraid of guns though and make their children afraid of them too.
  • xLacyx 2008/11/15 04:26:27
    xLacyx
    It depends on the maturitry level of the child. If they are immature and seem to have a young set of mind for their age, then no i dont think they should be allowed to handle guns. Yet, if they are very mature for their age and seem responsible then they could be allowed to handle guns. Either way, i think it should be the parents decision on weither or not their child should be able to use a gun.
  • River Rat 2008/11/15 00:40:38 (edited)
  • devo 2008/11/15 00:34:04 (edited)
    devo
    +1
    Kids don't always understand the dangers of guns, and if they know how to load them, and all of that, they would probably play around, and that's not good. Wait until they are mature enough to handle a gun, when they're hands are more steady, and they understand.
  • jerrybdo 2008/11/14 23:51:47
    jerrybdo
    +1
    Was taught how to handle firearms in scouts at the age of seven. 60 years later never have harmed one human. many targets later still love the freedom they give. Hunting for food is still a thrill.
  • brotherplease 2008/11/14 23:01:28
    brotherplease
    +1
    I'm sorry but it's not the kid's fault- Dad was dumb to leave the gun around for the kid to handle. Dumb to teach such a young kid how to load and shoot it. Let this be a lesson to all the dumb gun owning parents out there.. It's very very sad he had such a dumb father.
  • squirtpink 2008/11/14 21:28:38
    squirtpink
    +1
    wait under they are more mature.

Kids are curious and them being like that is very dangerous. Keep children away from this and well..if they want to learn to use one later, they can...when they are more mature.
  • Redstatefemale 2008/11/14 21:19:03
    Redstatefemale
    +2
    It depends on how much experience the boy has had. Obviously this is not enough information to answer this question. This is not a reason to remove this law from the Constitution. We have the right to have arms. Thats it. If a woman can murder her unborn infant (for no good reason) why would we decide we cant handle guns.
  • frankie 2008/11/14 19:20:39
    frankie
    +2
    No, I don't think children should be allowed to handle guns... at least not that young. The force of the gun can be too much depending on the age of the child and that is how accident's happen. If it were up to me, I'd want the legal age to handle a gun to be 18. I'm just not convinced that in this day and age that a child needs to handle a gun for any reason.
  • Ihr Hase ~ Radix Libertas 2008/11/14 18:19:02
    Ihr Hase ~ Radix Libertas
    +3
    Well, what here is the problem?

Kid shoots his dad and his coworker that lives with him....
    I need to know a lot more about this story before I can say the child was not justified or excused....

As for teaching the child to use a weapon, absolutely, as it is the responsibility of the individuals to ensure freedom in this country...

We really need to stop looking at weapons ownership and training as a right and more as a responsibility...

For the case of the people against guns, cars kill more people a year, a day for that matter, than guns, should we outlaw cars?

If you do not like it and want to shirk your responsibility as an individual that is your right, but you have to respect the rights of those that take their responsibility to this country very seriously...

Anything else is only going to hinder law abiding citizens...
  • MeanGene 2008/11/14 17:57:53
    MeanGene
    +3
    I don't have kids, but I do have guns and nephews. My oldest nephew is 10. For his 10th birthday, I took him to the range, and we fired off my rifle. Before we went in, I explained the resposibiltiy that comes along with the gun, and how you are accountable for whatever happens anytime you pick up a weapon.
    My other nephew is 8, and was very upset when I didn't take him. He yelled and said, "I want to play." I told him that until he realizes that shooting guns isn't playing, I will not ever take him to the range.
  • ©TransAmTam~Metal Queen \m/ 2008/11/14 17:27:01
  • dmore 2008/11/14 17:12:01
    dmore
    +1
    Children should be handling things made for them! ie: Toys, Books, etc. Why on earth in today's violent world would you ever want to teach you child especially one as young as 8 to use a handgun?
  • barbaracb 2008/11/14 16:53:15
    barbaracb
    depends on the child
  • TKOkeller 2008/11/14 16:07:50
    TKOkeller
    I said no because this kid was 8! People need to have a solid grasp of right from wrong before becoming familiar with guns... and to anyone who says the kid would "find a way" to kill them without a gun... you're crazy, a gun is a death mechanism, without it, you would merely have an 8 year old with a temper tantrum....
  • thebrow... TKOkeller 2008/11/14 16:14:53
    thebrownhaze
    in fact, you *can* go your whole life without ever firing a gun.
  • Ed - In... thebrow... 2008/11/26 05:11:17
    Ed - In God I Trust
    You quite obviously, NEVER served in the military.
  • mmp3 Ed - In... 2010/01/27 03:03:27
    mmp3
    Yeah, but if you don't serve in the military, then you don't ever need to know how to use a gun. I am 28, my dad is almost 60. He has never needed a gun, and I won't either.
  • Ed - In... mmp3 2010/01/27 05:31:49
    Ed - In God I Trust
    Are you both VEGETARIAN too? Or, is it that you merely prefer that someone else do the killing FOR you?
  • mmp3 Ed - In... 2010/01/27 17:51:52
    mmp3
    Actually yes....my dad is vegetarian, and I was raised that way. I do eat meat from time to time....but have considered going back to being strictly vegetarian. Meat doesn't have to be the anchor of a person's diet.

2014/11/22 15:38:50