8-Year-Old Kills Father After Teaching Him How To Use Gun: Do you think that children should be allowed to handle guns?

Peter Griffin 2008/11/10 20:06:53
Yes. Children at this age ___ should be allowed to handle guns.
No. No children should be taught to handle armed weapons.
The man who was shot to death by his own son has been laid to rest today at St. Johns, Arizona. The 8-year-old boy is scheduled to appear in court later Monday. He is charged with using a .22 caliber hunting rifle to kill his father Vincent Romero, 29, and a co-worker Timothy Romans, 39, who rented a room in the house. Police say they see no reason why the son committed this act, there was also no indication that the boy has been abused. Under Arizona law, the boy can be charged as an adult. The Romero family, were active hunters who at some point taught him how to handle a gun. Officials say that they are shocked on how the boy managed to load and handle guns at very young age, it was obviously not his first time. This tragic story could have been prevented.

boy managed load handle guns young age tragic story prevented

• Dem0072 2008/11/12 10:12:28
    Dem0072
    +11
    This is a perfect example of knee-jerk reactions, and people making decisions based on their emotions and not reality, and not the average.

I was taught to use guns at the age of 14, and I have several friends who were taught between ages 6 and 10. None of us have ever had any problems, we all act responsibly, and gun safety is the highest priority.

It's 2nd Amendment right, and I am disgusted with people who want to control laws that infringe on the activities of other families. I can't believe that any American would think they are sane in trying to control the people around them by abusing and manipulating the legal system.

The above is a failure on behalf of the parents to properly instruct and instill a proper safety-first mindset into the child. They put too much garbage in, and got a big problem out.

Truth be known, I'll probably buy my kids their first rifles at age 10.

• cosmiceyes versus Marxist s... 2013/06/24 20:13:08
    cosmiceyes versus Marxist sock puppets!
    +1
    I have had to subsistence hunt since before I was in kindergarten.If I can handle the rules of responsibility at that age ,then yes older children should also be able too.
    Jules Kindergarten Catholic School Picture
  • jeff merrill 2011/12/06 19:44:48
    jeff merrill
    My thoughts on this whole situation is that a child should be at least 12,13....at least!! They should not have dear old dad or grandpa or even mom or brother teaching them the trade. There are people who get paid out there to teach everyone and everyone who can tell these kids who's parents are really adamant, and have a real intense need to piss away a child's youth, and what it means to be a real kid....that guns are a tool in life and not a toy. Furthermore, 7-11 and even 12 and 13 are still a bit young for still undeveloped minds of children. Your stressing to your children to yet again grow up faster than they should!
    Yes guns can be fun for hunting and target practice but please remember to when you were a kid and that TV show or that video game was the real thing or not and shooting someone or something just gets up after and is fine. Kids are sooo precious at this age and very fragile as well...that's every kid! They should not wake up with the feeling at 7,8 or even 15- 16 the thought that they just killed someone for real and they aren't coming back like the movies or video game!
  • Mamaknows 2011/11/07 22:48:58
    Mamaknows
    +1
    Guns are a HUGE part of my culture, our lives, and teaching my children about weapons...guns, knives, bows &arrows;, and ALL of their saftey is a is a neccesity to our family. Having saftey knowledge and a healthy respect for the tools that we live with is very important. So yes kids should learn how to handle weapons:)
  • Tim 2010/04/12 21:23:32
  • mmp3 2010/01/27 02:42:07
    mmp3
    +2
    Kids are not old enough to handle the responsibility of handling a gun. Wait until they are at least 16.
  • barry sucks 2009/04/23 09:30:51 (edited)
  • swissenback 2009/04/23 09:25:59
    swissenback
    Horrific.
    I see all these adamant parents saying that it's the responsible thing to do, to teach "proper" gun usage... to them I say this: think about your children, and ask yourself if you're absolutely positive beyond doubt that your child -CHILD- has the ability to determine what the "appropriate" time/place is to shoot a gun. And then hope it doesn't end up killing the kid.
  • Connor 2009/03/11 05:12:31
    Connor
    +2
    Proper gun safety should be taught at a young age. This was absolutely the father's fault for not properly locking his firearms up. Just because a kid knows how to use a gun, doesn't mean he should have access to one whenever necessary.
  • Ev 2009/03/08 00:48:55
    Ev
    +3
    only if properly supervised and trained
  • wassie 2009/02/09 15:24:10
    wassie
    +2
    Yes but only after the age of 12 and a restricted size of gun(.308 maximum)
  • SIMPLY STUPID 2009/01/07 16:06:17
    SIMPLY STUPID
    THERE ARE AGE LIMITATIONS FOR WEAPON PURCHASE/USE FOR A REASON. THERE IS NO LEGITIMATE REASON FOR A CHILD TO BE USING ANY TYPE OF GUN WITH EXCEPTION TO TOYS.
  • killerace56 2008/12/23 18:05:46 (edited)
    killerace56
    no way should a kid be able to handle armed weapons. they should be atleast 18 years or older to use a firearm.

im not sure where, but at a gun convention, a 9 year old child was allowed to shoot an uzi..... the backfire made the gun fly back, so the kid shot himself in the face............
  • mojo-jojo 2008/12/23 17:03:58
    mojo-jojo
    no kid under the age of 18 should be able to handle a gun they are putting themselves and others around them in danger.
  • xXKaylaXKriptoniteXLOVESXEr... 2008/12/23 08:50:05
    xXKaylaXKriptoniteXLOVESXErikXx
    stupid parents.
  • ronny 2008/12/07 19:41:28
  • Libertarian Right 2008/12/03 01:10:19
  • Jolie 2008/12/02 05:38:36
    Jolie
    +1
    Children at 8, 9..., they don't know how to control their feelings yet, like anger, jealousy...! You think they can handle a gun? Why not give them the driving license, and let them drive a vehicle and see what kind of harm they can bring again?
    It's totally parents’ responsibility, to watch over the kids, while they’re children, and while they are in their house.
    Safety first please!!!
    vehicle harm totally parents responsibility watch kids children house safety
  • Ev Jolie 2009/03/08 01:12:08
    Ev
    +2
    We have those who are responsible and those who are not. I don't think age is necessarily a factor in determining how capable one is of handling emotion.

When it comes to weapons, responsible training and supervision is necessary.

How many 16 year olds die in car accidents every year because the powers that be deem them responsible enough to be driving?

What about criminals over the age of 16? There's a lot more involved here than someone's age.
  • jc 2008/12/01 15:16:20 (edited)
    jc
    +2
    It is a sport like any other.Pops took me out shotting when I was 6. I had heard about this from my girlfriend a while back.His father's girlfriend disciplined the little boy while the father stood and watched.I guess the boy resented that. We have all resented our parents a time or two while growing up.Something is wrong with this kid .An average person does not snap like that.If he committed such a horrible act at age 8,imagine what he would do as an adult?He should be held accountable for his actions.
  • B4dw159 2008/11/22 17:32:45
    B4dw159
    +3
    Children are curious. Don't teach them and they will shoot one of their friends or themselves, playing with your gun while you are not around. If children are taught that firearms are not toys, just like touching a stove burner, they will leave it alone.
  • SHER♥ 2008/11/22 16:27:10
    SHER♥
    +1
    I still believe that children need to be taught about guns and gun safety. I was taught to shoot at a very young age with my Grandpa. I loved target practice. As for killing an animal or a human being, I could only do that if I was in danger or starving to death. Ignorning guns, just keeps ignorant about how to handle them and when to. Young children do not need to be around guns. They wouldn't understand.
  • Sadie 2008/11/22 08:32:15
    Sadie
    They should because it could help the child protect themselves if they ever were in danger but children make mistakes and could easily hurt someone without thinking.
  • Rocky8807 2008/11/20 18:52:38
    Rocky8807
    +1
    I dont believe this little boy could have possibly shot daddy and friend with the gun. look at the picture he cant even hold it let alone aim it on his own! come on. yes i realize that kids do kill parents but I dont believe this one for one bit. and isn't the gun a one shot... your telling me that the boy could aim it that well to just kill them both in one shot.. maybe mommy had helped the boy aim the gun... just like daddy is doing in this picture.
  • xxxemobabyxxx 2008/11/19 02:43:34
    xxxemobabyxxx
    +2
    i think we should be allowed guns, only if we are over the age of 13. and we would probally need to pass tests, and get a licence. and i think we probally shouldnt be walking around with them.
  • alicia 2008/11/19 00:38:56
    alicia
    +2
    the world has got crazy and angry they need to be taught early and guns need to be put up by their parents
  • Backlashjack 2008/11/18 12:58:55
    Backlashjack
    +5
    God I Hate Liberals!
    I was shooting at the boys age and because of that am quite proficient. I have NEVER illegally killed anyone. I respected firearms at a young age as all children/ people should.
  • mmp3 Backlas... 2010/01/27 02:51:51
    mmp3
    +1
    Why do you hate liberals? The only purpose guns have is to kill. If you don't plan on killing anyone or anything, why learn how to use a gun? I am 28 and have never handled a gun, and never have nor never will need to know how to handle a gun. If the boy hadn't been taught how to shoot the gun, he would never have been able to know how to use it to shoot his father.
  • Backlas... mmp3 2010/01/31 14:36:51
    Backlashjack
    +2
    I hate the way liberals think. Firearms are for 3 important things in America. One is to protect you and your family from criminals. Secondly, to protect ourselves against a tyranical government. The third is for pleasure. Hunting, target, etc....
    In your own analogy, my father should by all right be dead because he taught me how to shoot. And for that matter every father that has ever taught a child to shoot, should be dead. That is why I hate liberals. Rationality and common sense some how get short circuited in the course of a thought.
    Here is a question for you. If you were married with children, who or what is responsible for protecting them? If a man with a weapon broke into you house what would you do?
    I would like to hear your answers to those questions.
  • ☠Marz555☠ 2008/11/18 01:12:13
    ☠Marz555☠
    I am undecided on the issue.... more to the point exactly in the middle.
  • mobilemarvel 2008/11/17 20:21:01
    mobilemarvel
    +3
    Although the picture for this answer is stupid, because children will not be learning how to handle rocket launching mechanisms, it IS important to teach them the safety aspects of handling a firearm. Ask yourself this question: What does a child do when they are interested in something, yet have been prevented from ever being exposed to it? They grow curious. What does a curious child do when he comes across a gun in the trash pile on the way home from school? He picks it up and potentially hurts someone because his parents were too ignorant, dumb or scared to teach that child what to do when they come across a gun.

Just because you don't have a gun in the house doesn't mean that the punks who commit crimes out there don't ditch their guns after a crime near your house or your child's school. Children need to be aware of what real guns are, what they can do, and how to handle them safely should it become necessary. I have 5 guns in the house, so I bought my son (5) an air rifle so that I can teach him the safety rules of guns without endangering him. He will learn to shoot, because it is a skill that can be used for many things in life.
  • mmp3 mobilem... 2010/01/27 02:53:02
    mmp3
    +3
    A skill that can be used for what in life? Shoot an animal? Shoot a stranger in the house? WHY?
  • John Wayne 2008/11/17 06:39:37
    John Wayne
    +2
    I've been using a gun since I was in diapers. Usually a positive early introduction to firearms can instill discipline and respect for firearms. Either the father didn't do good enough a job or the kids a lunatic and was probably going to kill someone eventually anyway (even if it wasn't with a gun). Its not the guns fault its the finger on the trigger.
  • terr 2008/11/17 04:55:01
    terr
    +3
    You can't set an age minimum or limit for firearms training.( Especially using a freek case like this as a president) People are all different and have different interests,abilities and temperments. I know some grown men who have no business handling a firearm. I started training at 5 years old with a youth 22 rifle from Sears. I taught my three children safe firearm handling and they are now grown responsible people... Why did this boy do this ? We may never know,, I can guarantee he had serious issues to begin with. An 8 year old has the strength to impale you with a knife from the kitchen. So do we debate the age a child can be in the kitchen ? This is not a gun issue . This is an issue of a child with serious mental problems.
  • Smilezzz08 2008/11/17 03:16:53
    Smilezzz08
    Children that age are not capable of understanding the importance of safety and the importance of not playing with a gun. Children are killed all too often because of negligent parents who leave guns within harms way for a child to get too.
  • Raven♥ 2008/11/17 02:28:30
    Raven♥
    +1
    Hell No! Just like in your question, An 8 year old killed father! Omg
  • clynn 2008/11/17 02:14:17
    clynn
    No children should not be taught how to handle a gun. What purpose would it serve, one such as this Sadness brought about by the idiot who taught this child how to use a gun. Parents and people should let children stay children.
  • mmp3 clynn 2010/01/27 02:54:06
    mmp3
    +1
    thumbs up! I agree.
  • sav 2008/11/17 00:05:19
    sav
    america becomes more and more corrupted every day
  • AllisonWalker 2008/11/16 22:10:44
    AllisonWalker
    +2
    I think kids 13 and older should be able to handle guns with adult supervision.
  • VYoung73 2008/11/16 20:44:36
    VYoung73
    +1
    I'm really torn on this issue. I was raised by a hunter, who insisted that I take hunter's safety courses from the time I was 9 years old on. My parents kept our extensive armory under heavy lock and key in a safe in their closet. This I think, is the problem. How accessible are parent's making these weapons? Are they having their children take classes by a licensed professional, or teaching them in the backyard with a budweiser? I personally don't own a gun as an adult, and never will. I am not against people hunting for personal recreation (responsibly of course), but I am against the whole world arming themselves to protect themselves from the other guy who has a gun. Seems like a never ending circle of crap to me. Let's go back to fist fighting, and then see who wins!

2014/11/23 02:20:59