61-Year-Old Computer Brought Back to Life: Do You Have Trouble Letting Go of Old Technology?

The Harvell Dekatron was known as the world's most durable computer when it was first produced back in 1951 -- until it was discovered broken up into fifty parts and left to gather dust in storage. But now the two-and-a-half ton machine, which has 10,000 moving parts and can work for 80 hours a week without a break, has been restored and was switched on in Britain's National Museum of Computing this week.

The Dekatron is capable of working out highly complicated math problems very quickly, and was used at the Atomic Energy Research Establishment in Oxfordshire, England for mathematical modeling. However, the same processing power was available just a couple of decades later; in a pocket calculator.

Museum trustee Kevin Murrell, who oversaw the restoration of the Dekatron, told the Daily Mail that he first saw it on display in a museum "when [he] was a teenager in the 1970s." Then, some years later, he "was looking at some photos of items in a storage center and in the background [he] noticed the computer's control panel." Do you find it difficult to let go of old technology?

• Magical Mushroom 2012/11/24 00:19:50
    Magical Mushroom
    +10
    Some things are better then they are now.
    mine
    I love my speakers, amp, and car. I would not part with them, or take money for them and I take them were ever I go.
    mine
    lover

• studiobrat PWCM AFCL 2013/01/07 19:37:09
    studiobrat  PWCM AFCL
    I used to but it took too much room to store so I got rid of all the old stuff, and now I have two laptops and a PC.
  • ernest.murphy3 2012/12/16 20:48:12
    ernest.murphy3
    The throw away society is not my cup of tea.
  • Frenchi Le~ann 2012/12/07 17:06:14
    Frenchi Le~ann
    i know im not the only one who still has there indestructible Nokia phone and their gameboy.
  • RipVanWinkle 2012/11/28 04:42:41
    RipVanWinkle
    +1
    my laptop was built in 1998, and I use it every day LoL!
  • Zach 2012/11/26 15:20:23
    Zach
    We should still preserve it though, if anything for perspective on our ever expanding technology. That computer was the most powerful and advanced one 60 years ago. Now we all have something more powerful in your pockets. Or that the machine that got us on the moon had the computing power of a wristwatch.
  • Flamingolady 2012/11/26 13:42:42
    Flamingolady
    Yes and no. Some of the new fangled technologies baffle me, it has to be a generational thing. But I am NEVER giving up my 60s music! I was in the gym a while back, and my son and some of his friends were there. They were playing an old motown song, and the boys started making fun of it. Then they played some new hard rock s*** and I asked the boys, "Do you really think they will still be playing THIS in 35 or 40 years?" They all grudgingly answered "NO".
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/11/26 10:50:27
  • santosh umap 2012/11/26 07:21:00
    santosh umap
    no any.....
    No problem at all. I KEEP IT ALL and don't get rid of anything even if it don't use it now and have all the latest and most up to date equipment.
  • Resp 2012/11/26 03:57:17
    Resp
    It depends on the technology.

I have a 1977 Sea Mist Green Cadillace Deville.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/11/26 03:35:56 (edited)
    MOMMA THOMAS
    ...WON'T GIVE UP THE OLD XEROX MACHINE, THE HAND HELD COMPUTER, THE LAND MINE PHONE, MY "ICE AGE" NOKIA CELL PHONE, THE OLD T.V., A GAME BOY AND CARTRIGES, ...THERE'S PROBABLY A PORTABLE TYPEWRITER AROUND HERE SOMEPLACE.
  • Papillon 2012/11/26 01:49:01
  • ~ Niyala ~ 2012/11/26 00:20:56
    ~ Niyala ~
    But, I would like an actual cell phone instead of a phone where I have to buy minutes..
  • Papillon ~ Niyala ~ 2012/11/26 01:50:03
  • ~ Niyala ~ Papillon 2012/11/26 21:30:16
    ~ Niyala ~
    Can't afford it.
  • Papillon ~ Niyala ~ 2012/11/27 04:26:57
  • Tattoo Nana 2012/11/25 22:34:28
    Tattoo Nana
    +1
    I will adlmit that I have outdated items for "just in case", but I am usually one of the first to get something new and improved. I love technology stuff, especially computers. I am disabled and spend a good amount of time "down" so I really rely on my internet! I usually will get a new laptop every couple of years just because there will be enough new improvements that I can justify it :) And my old laptops always are taken by a kid here, so there is no waste.
  • Nuke 2012/11/25 21:54:20
    Nuke
    My dad does though, he doesn't like to update his phone, he tries to stay as long as he can, me, I try to get what I can and when I can afford it but I have no problem leaving old stuff behind.
    I do enjoy playing with old gadgets though but I do update.
  • MrsJJS 2012/11/25 21:02:01
    MrsJJS
    +2
    Technology is a double edged sword.
    Personally think it’s one of the main contributors to the obesity epidemic.
    I think it has driven us apart as a society. Instead of socializing with our neighbors, we are all holed up in our homes and most people couldn’t even tell you what their neighbor’s name is.
    We have lost self-reliance and a lot of skills we once had.

But on the other hand it has revolutionized medicine which has saved a lot of lives.
    Has permitted us to travel to places which previously would have been time and cost prohibitive
    The internet has brought news and pictures from all over the world to our homes and aids us with keeping close contact to friends and family who have been scatter to the four winds.

So I guess technology is like chocolate, in moderation it can be a good thing but it can’t be our only source of food.
  • Centrist_Bill 2012/11/25 20:19:46
    Centrist_Bill
    +2
    As an IT guy that gives away old computers I have reguvenated quite a few using Linux OS's. As a ham My Favorite is the Collin's S line but a close 2nd comes in as the Yaesu FT101 series. Pictured 1st is the Collins series and then the Yeasu series.
    2nd yaesu ft101 series pictured 1st collins series yeasu series
  • THEmaria 2012/11/25 18:32:35
    THEmaria
    The King is dead! Long live the King!
  • Stephen 2012/11/25 17:14:22
    Stephen
    Nope.
  • strange_armour 2012/11/25 15:15:21
    strange_armour
    +2
    Every once in a while, I'll have a "retro night" with my coveted Amiga 500. Amongst the many games I play are Rick Dangerous and Midnight Resistance.

Amiga 500
    Rick Dangerous
    Midnight Resistance
  • Linnster strange... 2012/11/25 20:32:05
    Linnster
    +3
    I still like some of my old games too.

ball and jacks

hopscotch

old roller skates
  • Airhead strange... 2012/11/25 23:58:39
    Airhead
    I had one of those that I salvaged using an old apple scsi hard drive. The guy at the flea market gave it to me when I said I could fix it. Eventually it had some serious hardware issues that I didnt bother resolving. I emulate most of my retro games now anyway even though I have boxes and boxes of games in storage.
  • Maurice... strange... 2012/11/26 14:58:49
    Maurice Tillman
    ...Jesus! It's hard to find one at a decent price. When I was a boy, only rich nerds owned computers. Nowadays, you're a nerd if you don't at least have a smart phone...
  • MadMax 2012/11/25 14:12:00
    MadMax
    It's like a bad habit of mine.
  • Jim 2012/11/25 09:03:26
    Jim
    +1
    There seems to be a bit of a trade-off. I can remember my parents' first television set form the early '60s. It was a piece of furniture made with a beautiful varnished wood that would not look out of place as the wood of your dining room table. It was a very small black & white screen and of course used thermionic valves (that's tubes in the USA). You had to wait a few minutes for this to heat up. The picture was made up of only 405 lines so the resolution (we didn't even use that word in those days) was comparatively poor. There were only two channels to choose from BBC and ITV. I feel almost certain that if the broadcasters still transmitted on that frequency in the 405 line format, it would still work. These things were built to last forever. I have found over the years that although we now have a (comparatively) huge colour widescreen high-definition screen, it will not last nearly as long and of course it's made of plastic.

I managed to find a photograph of the actual TV set!
    decca dm2 c 405 line television
  • Avi Rosen 2012/11/25 08:51:31
    Avi Rosen
    Although I may not be considered young, I'm pretty much Pro advance, highly technical and have a scientifically orientated mind. I like gadgets if they are revolutionary enough and do offer a significant improvement to justify the purchase.
  • Playerazzi 2012/11/25 07:37:34 (edited)
    Playerazzi
    +1
    When it's clear that new stuff is better, I go with the new.

But only if it's better.

I didn't go for a Commodore computer or an iPad, or Windows Vista, or a Rainbow Digital computer.

But I certainly use a cell phone, and will go over to a smartphone soon. And I prefer MP3 music files vs. any analog stuff (casettes, records, etc.). I don't miss dial phones, but they were stronger than the new stuff. I prefer a manual transmission on my car, but like the remote lock-unlock feature.

But I still use an old-fahioned pencil and paper. Yea, the kind you have to sharpen.

And as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on using a GPS instead of a map.
  • Navin Johnson (The Jerk) 2012/11/25 07:17:06
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +1
    i get rid of the old tech and replace it with the new. i can't beleive some people still have *gasp* VHS
  • Jim Navin J... 2012/11/25 08:49:07
    Jim
    +1
    I still have a *gasp* Sanyo Betamax VCR
  • Airhead Navin J... 2012/11/26 00:05:11 (edited)
    Airhead
    +3
    I still have a VCR for films that never had a dvd release. Also, it's the only way to watch some in their unmodified state. For example, the only way to watch the original version of star wars (The one where Han shoots Greedo in cold blood) is with a VHS or laserdisc.
  • Navin J... Airhead 2012/11/27 13:19:30
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    they have a dvd version for that too and a blu ray version is in the works,movies without those xtra scenes. if it ain't broke,don't fix it,i could care less about those changes he made in the originals
  • Airhead Navin J... 2012/11/28 02:26:47 (edited)
    Airhead
    All DVD and blu ray releases are based off the 1997 or 2004 edit.
  • Kayla Mace 2012/11/25 05:47:08
  • Zakkman... Kayla Mace 2012/11/25 20:26:39
    Zakkman666420
    +8
    Sega Genesis is the best!!!! I play Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx-16 alot.
  • Kayla Mace Zakkman... 2012/11/25 20:52:46
  • Maurice... Kayla Mace 2012/11/26 15:01:50
    Maurice Tillman
    Video games were less common back then. However, the games today allow for more social interaction. Back in my day, stereotypical gamers were nerds because of the amount of time gaming took from a person's social life. You kids have it good today. Not only is gaming socially acceptable but you can hook up with a lot of people on the net! :-)
  • Kayla Mace Maurice... 2012/11/27 00:51:20

2014/12/18 12:32:15