50 Years of Loving Vs. Virginia: Is Interracial Marriage Still Scandalous?

Fef 2013/06/14 21:00:00
A recent article in The New York Times asks its readers if interracial marriage is still considered scandalous. What do you think?

NYTIMES.COM reports:
It's been legal nationwide for 46 years, and it's increasingly common. But does that mean that we have achieved a colorblind society?
reports legal nationwide 46 years increasingly common achieved colorblind society

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/06/13/is...

• MisterOriginal 2013/07/12 09:22:54
    Not at all scandalous
    MisterOriginal
    There's only one race, and it's human.
  • GodFearingTeaPartier 2013/06/27 18:58:55
  • Strike a Balance 2013/06/24 22:58:39
    Not at all scandalous
    Strike a Balance
    +1
    I'm answering for myself. For society, it is still a little scandalous. There are still some people that have a real problem with it on a cultural basis. I'm half Japanese and half Irish. If I brought a black or Latina girl home to meet my Japanese grandmother, she would be furious. It isn't that she feels that there is something wrong with other races or sees them as inferior. She just wants to "preserve our culture" by having me marry another Asian, hopefully another Japanese. It's the same for a lot of cultures, especially the older people. They see it as a way of saying that you couldn't find anyone of your own race who was good enough. A good friend of mine is a black professional woman, with a college degree. She is dating a white guy. Her family, her friends, and in some part her neighborhood have all criticized her for "turning her back on her race", because she is not dating a black man. It's how it is still in a lot of ways. It will take a while for us to lose that, but we can do it.
  • Pick~a~card~any~card~ 2013/06/20 13:44:47
    Not at all scandalous
    Pick~a~card~any~card~
    I have friends who are in interracial relationships. And i was in one, not too long ago. That's just racist just asking this.
  • DavidHouse 2013/06/20 12:38:00
    Not at all scandalous
    DavidHouse
    Interracial marriage is about as scandanlous as me eating a Big Mac. Freedom to love should never be an issue. Everyone deserves the same respect of each other. Life is way too short for hate and bigotry.
  • Houlegate DavidHouse 2013/06/22 19:37:35
    Houlegate
    +1
    Oh C'mon! Its not as bad as eating a Big Mac. Those things will kill you!
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2013/06/20 08:17:43
    Slightly scandalous
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    Among racists and down south it still is, why else would you have all the flap over a Cheerios commercial?
  • (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<) 2013/06/20 08:03:54
    Slightly scandalous
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    A lot of people out there don't like it still. Even though its literally everywhere.
  • Transquesta 2013/06/20 06:15:28
    Not at all scandalous
    Transquesta
    +1
    I sure as hell hope not! I came within five days of marrying a black woman.
  • doc moto 2013/06/20 06:14:26
    Not at all scandalous
    doc moto
    +2
    First it depends on the family then the rest of them can take a flying leap! You have to have some family support; it is always best!
  • Katherine 2013/06/20 04:03:41
    Slightly scandalous
    Katherine
    +2
    I don't care, but I doubt society will ever be "colorblind." Not surprised by the Cherrios thing. Was expecting a kiss in Hancock that never happened. Why?!? That guy in the photo kind of looks insane, btw. The woman looks worried. jmo.
  • Marek 2013/06/20 03:15:47
    Not at all scandalous
    Marek
    +2
    As long as it is marriage between one man and one woman.
  • Transqu... Marek 2013/06/20 06:16:33
    Transquesta
    You got your asbestos undies back from the cleaners, I see. :-)
  • GodFear... Marek 2013/06/27 19:00:10
  • Richard 2013/06/20 01:05:45
    Not at all scandalous
    Richard
    +1
    Why are the race baiter's starting something that's not there!
  • Transqu... Richard 2013/06/20 06:17:03
    Transquesta
    +1
    Could be it's a fair question. Fef doesn't appear to be the race-baiting type.
  • Strike ... Richard 2013/06/24 23:00:41
    Strike a Balance
    It's also a valid question. You can't be afraid to mention race.
  • Joseph Mallery 2013/06/20 01:03:46
    Not at all scandalous
    Joseph Mallery
    It isn't, wasn't, and never will be.
  • Iconoclast1919 2013/06/20 00:22:41
    Not at all scandalous
    Iconoclast1919
    +1
    Who people love is nobody's business! I wish that people wouldn't even think about color or who someone else is having sex with. The world would surely be a much better place!
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2013/06/19 22:22:36
    Not at all scandalous
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Scandalous only to DemoKKKrats.

Can you believe the disgusting shamelessness of lefties on here? Comparing race to sexual perversion. Race is NOT the same as behaving gay. How low will those lefties go?
  • Straud1976 Torchma... 2013/06/20 01:00:00
    Straud1976
    +1
    Sad your hate has made you blind.
  • GodFear... Torchma... 2013/06/27 19:02:22
  • TasselLady 2013/06/19 21:44:00 (edited)
    Not at all scandalous
    TasselLady
    +1
    NO WAY. I'll tell you, if a black man were to come into my life today, and he treated me better than any white man ever did (by the way most white men treated me like garbage), then you better believe I would marry him. I wouldn't give a rat's fat arse what anybody thinks of it. Color means nothing. How I'm treated means EVERYTHING. Just because a white guy is white doesn't mean he's a good man. Many of them are insufferable jerks. I've had black men treat me much better than white men, and many of them were more polite and genuine than some white guys who have come into my life. Screw the people who think it's scandalous. My life is my life, and theirs is theirs. They have no right to judge who I'm with. I don't judge others for whom THEY are with.
    no racism
  • Ash in Purgatory 2013/06/19 20:50:36 (edited)
    Not at all scandalous
    Ash in Purgatory
    +1
    People who consider it to be so are still too far back in the past to realize that the times have changed and if you like someone you just do. I'm in an interracial relationship and I'm happy with it. Honestly, the fact that this question has to even be asked is somewhat sad to me. Sure a lot of racism still exists but for the most part we should be okay with this by now (the interracial relationships I mean, not the racist bigots).
  • GG 2013/06/19 17:38:33
    Not at all scandalous
    GG
    +1
    I don't really care. Love is the only thing that matters when it comes to these type of situations.
    If you are hung up on color then that is your prerogative, but society will keep moving forward with or without you. Interracial dating/marriages has increased over the years, it's not uncommon.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2013/06/19 16:26:38
    Not at all scandalous
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    I AM a product of interracial marriage. In high school I had a 140 IQ. I was athletic and played all sports. I was very good at wrestling (real wrestling) and martial arts.
    I am mostly Cherokee. The other part is white with a little bit of other races in there.

What difference does it matter what your race is? Racial differences are foreign concept to "REAL" Native Americans.
  • RachelDempsey40 2013/06/19 13:43:26
    Not at all scandalous
    RachelDempsey40
    +1
    It's not scandalous and it shouldn't have been way back then. Love is color blind and people who are still against it should let go of that negativity, it's not healthy
  • Yami no KoHime ~ 平和 2013/06/19 12:55:25
    Not at all scandalous
    Yami no KoHime ~ 平和
    Though i hate interracial marriage very much :/
  • TheBorg 2013/06/19 06:47:02 (edited)
    Very scandalous
    TheBorg
    +4
    We have racists here on SodaHead that refer to the first lady as a Wookie because she is black and use an image of a black man on the ace of "spades"

"spade" - "Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. a black person"

~ http://dictionary.reference.c...

liberal race card

If you do not think that these people secretly think it is "Very scandalous" then you have got a screw loose.
  • Proggy 2013/06/19 05:56:53 (edited)
    Not at all scandalous
    Proggy
    +2
    In fact it never was "scandalous". That's the connotation that perverse racists and bigots had labeled it.
  • ButterbeerMe 2013/06/19 05:07:24
    Slightly scandalous
    ButterbeerMe
    +2
    I don't consider it at all scandalous, but if I were speaking for the general population I know there are some out there who are still appalled by it, which is why I picked this option.
  • Kigan 2013/06/19 04:00:06
    Not at all scandalous
    Kigan
    Society has evolved, and there are only a few idiots either stuck in the past or looking to start trouble that haven't evolved with it.
  • Human Defect 2013/06/19 02:58:01
    Slightly scandalous
    Human Defect
    +1
    Even in this day, it is still considered taboo, whether or not you want to acknowledge that.

Personally, I don't think it looks good but so be it. I wouldn't dare damn or harass someone for it. It's their choice.
  • Proggy Human D... 2013/06/19 05:58:00
    Proggy
    +1
    Why do you not "personally" think it looks good?
  • Human D... Proggy 2013/06/20 09:05:24
    Human Defect
    +1
    I just don't.
    I don't think a white person with a black person looks good.
    Or a hispanic with a black.
    Or a white with a hispanic ( even though I have nephews who are hispanic )
    etc, etc

It's just my opinion. It's not because these people are ugly , but I just don't like how it looks.

I like how people look with their own race , but like I said , I'm not going to damn someone for it , since I don't care who anyone dates.
  • Proggy Human D... 2013/06/21 17:15:08 (edited)
    Proggy
    +1

Many people who feel the same way you do sent very vitriolic, hateful, and very ugly messages to the company that make this product just because of this commercial. Which I think is very cute and heartwarming. Switch the ethnicity of the mom and dad around in this commercial and you'd have my family. The word at the end of the video is sadly what people like you know nothing of or about.

Your point of view is closed minded, bigoted, and intolerant. Probably the reason why so many relationships fail and the divorce rate is in the stratosphere. Sorry that your personal taste got you stuck inside the shallow, shortsighted bubble you choose to live in.

So sad that your bigotry won't allow you to see the beauty in this...

taste stuck shallow shortsighted bubble choose live sad bigotry beauty

• Human D... Proggy 2013/06/24 11:26:34
    Human Defect
    Haha.
    That's fine.
    I could care less how you feel about my opinion, just like I didn't even take the time to watch the video you linked.
    I don't find interracial couples beautiful. That's my opinion, and that's how it's always going to be.
  • Proggy Human D... 2013/06/24 15:44:15
    Proggy
    +1
    It's simply my opinion that is so sad. I truly pity you.
  • Human D... Proggy 2013/06/24 16:34:39 (edited)
    Human Defect
    Haha.
    That's fine. Pity away.
    Your opinion was nothing but degrading to me, whereas , mine wasn't close to degrading.

You called me bigoted because I don't like interracial couples ?
    Silly me, I guess I should stop going out setting fires to the houses with interracial couples, or continue to fight to stop them from marrying/being together, or going out and beating up interracial couples.

oh wait a minute... I DON'T do that.

I have interracial in my family, I could care less , but you can't respect someone else's opinion on the matter without insulting , why should I respect anything you have to say on the matter ?

It's a preference. My bad for having one, my bad for expressing it.
    I pity people who can't respect other people's opinions without needing to jump to name calling. I.E: You :)

Have a nice day and get off the internet, because the internet is no place for people like you :D

Also, blaming divorce rates solely on people who don't like interracial marriages/relationships is asinine and childish to say the least.
  • Proggy Human D... 2013/06/24 16:54:50
    Proggy
    +1
    I didn't insult you.

2014/10/02 14:27:40