$5-a-Month Cable Network for Dogs: Fun for Fido or Doggone Ridiculous?

Yes, you read that right. Dogs are getting their own cable TV network, and you have to pay $5 a month for it, TODAY.com reports. Don't get us wrong: we love ourselves some pups, but even we think this whole doggie TV network is a bit ridiculous.

"A lot of people laugh and think it’s funny or a gimmick," DogTV co-founder and chief content officer Ron Levi told the "Today" show. "But then we explain the research and the science behind it. This is a great opportunity to makes [sic] dogs happier and their lives more pleasant while they are home alone during the day."

Wait a second ... that last part is the problem. With pretty much everyone male and female working at least one job these days, Fido is usually home alone, forced to entertain himself. In fact, we have at least one friend who swears her dog loves TV, so maybe it's not such a ridiculous idea after all.

DogTV has created nearly 800 programs for dogs intended to “relax, stimulate and expose” them to situations they encounter in daily life, TODAY.com reports. The network is only available in San Diego right now, but it's hoping to expand in the coming months. And back to that monthly fee, the channel is free for now, but will eventually cost devoted owners $5 a month. Think it sounds like fun for Fido? Or doggone ridiculous?

• bettyboop 2012/02/17 23:46:20
    Doggone ridiculous
    bettyboop
    +2
    They already have a show for dogs, it's called "Animal Planet". Every time my dogs sees another dog on TV he starts barking and trying to jump up toward the TV to get the other dog I guess. Thank goodness we have the TV mounted high on the wall and if he starts doing this we change the station.
  • ~Kutie~ 2012/02/17 23:23:37
    Doggone ridiculous
    ~Kutie~
    +2
    THE DOG DOESNT GIVE A CRAP. i LOVE dogs, my dog i have to admit is on a social network called Doggyspace and no she doesn’t give a crap but hares the difference; i can get useful advice on Doggyspace but there is little to no benefit to the dog when it comes to tv. Im sure the dog would much rather go for a walk or chase a ball.
  • scbluesman13 2012/02/17 23:13:05
    Doggone ridiculous
    scbluesman13
    +3
    What ever happened to "taking your dog for a walk" ? Are we as a society so lazy now that we are subjecting our pets to a new form of laziness?
  • Jorge Enriquez 2012/02/17 23:12:58
    Doggone ridiculous
    Jorge Enriquez
    +1
    come on... dumb
  • kay29 2012/02/17 23:10:07
    Doggone ridiculous
    kay29
    +2
    I don't want my dog to be barking at the Tv all day or stealing the remote when her favourite show is on...
  • Bibliophilic 2012/02/17 23:08:54
    Doggone ridiculous
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    What a waste of money. Leave the pet a few toys instead! Also, there are plenty of jungle gyms available for cats to play in. The last thing that a dog needs is a television channel.
  • Will Fletcher 2012/02/17 23:06:22
    Doggone ridiculous
    Will Fletcher
    +2
    The main problem that I have with this is that a dogs mind works differently than a humans, that said I wouldn't expect them to create a drama specifically for dogs (that suzie dog stole janet's husband and now their tearing out each others throat... what will happen? stay tuned).
  • Quazar 2012/02/17 23:02:07
    Fun for Fido
    Quazar
    Bark, bark, bark, arf, arf, whine, bark, bark!
  • kerebail.ramakrishnachar 2012/02/17 21:50:59
    Doggone ridiculous
    kerebail.ramakrishnachar
    +1
    The whole doggie TV network is a bit ridiculous.
  • darlene 2012/02/17 21:47:36 (edited)
    Doggone ridiculous
    darlene
    +7
    My dog watches what I watch. lol dog and owner watching tv
  • retrograve darlene 2012/02/17 22:28:07 (edited)
    retrograve
    +1
    Lol, does he really sit that close?
  • darlene retrograve 2012/02/17 22:33:25
    darlene
    +1
    No, she doesn't! lol
  • Rachel 2012/02/17 21:41:33
    Fun for Fido
    Rachel
    +2
    I actually think it's a bit of both. This isn't something that I would subscribe to; however, I do understand the use of it for the owners whose dogs feel separation anxiety or are destructive due to boredom.
  • scarlett 2012/02/17 21:33:12
    Fun for Fido
    scarlett
    +2
    i pressed the wrong one.. because my dogs are part of my security system.. they listen very carefully so if im not here i want them to be on their gaurd for any suspicious sounds lol.. they sleep like cats all day other wise, and have 100's of toys. not to mention each other! and i dont need a specific channel.. my yellow lab will sit and stare at law and order like hes tryin to solve the case lol
  • JJ 2012/02/17 21:25:26
    Fun for Fido
    JJ
    +1
    I think its worth it, because I have seen not only my dogs watch TV, but others as well, so they must like it. Lol.
  • Gimmedap 2012/02/17 21:24:14
    Doggone ridiculous
    Gimmedap
    +2
    Woody does watch tv when animals are on. He watched Westminster the other night and
    I let him watch part of the puppy bowl. But I wouldn't pay for a cannel.
  • Jbug799 2012/02/17 21:14:58
    Doggone ridiculous
    Jbug799
    +2
    Of the three dogs I have that are inside only one pays any attention to the TV and then usually when there are animals on the screen. He goes crazy barking at even a cartoon animal!!?? I don't think is important to stimulate my dog that way..LOL..
  • Reggie☮ 2012/02/17 21:14:17
    Doggone ridiculous
    Reggie☮
    +3
    Thats what I think.

2014/12/18 17:30:24